Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Insomnia Records : VA - Tomatogun INO1CD008 (2006)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Insomnia Records : VA - Tomatogun INO1CD008 (2006)

rajatrao5
Inactive User
Started Topics :  17
Posted : Dec 30, 2006 09:51
INSOMNIA RECORDS : VA - TOMATOGUN

Insomnia Records - the famous russian record label attempts to deliver the finest psychedelic trance to the global audience. This time they bring you a compilation filled with tracks written and produced by some of the best established and upcoming Russian trance acts.
Following the immensely popular and successful release of Potatogun in 2004, Tomatogun delivers deep, powerful, intense and industrial influenced music which made Russia's local scene well known and respected all over the world. Welcome to the world of russian psychedelia...

Flucturion vs. Kraft - Elegant Fury : Tomatogun is introduced by Russian old timers Kraft and debut release artist Flucturion. Flat, stretched out growls and FX lead to the rise of dubbed beats that resemble nothing thats yet to come in this track. A well balanced bassline begins driving as sizzling electric leads contaminate the track's flow right from the start. Gnarling sound effects also flow in and out of the track. A twisted cartoony break signals the end of phase one. Phase two begins with a massive bassline and foresty atmospheres. Metallic hard hitting percussion play a significant role in the background. The track flows smoothly as focus is placed on outdoor soundscapes and atmoshperes. "Dark".....An interesting sample abridges the track so far and its next installment. The change in the bassline is packed with power and high voltage energy is omitted through the electric leads. These leads remind me of the old Fungus Funk leads, which i really missed badly until i heard this track Filtered and compressed basslines sounding like the trademark Russian Kindzadza sound also play their role as breaks. Subtle yet sharp, piercing high's continually sprinkle over the tracks body, and i personally felt the high's could have been turned down a bit, as they sounded a little too chirpy. "People are scared....." goes the sample. Tight, groovy bassline tuning gives way to an epic bassline change, made extremely effective by the massive atmospheric layer that compliments it and tears through the depths of the track. Female vocal samples are also heard, as leads come back to causing mayhem. All of a sudden theres a break....a disturbing, progressively louder atmospheric layer begins heat up and rip through the track's seam yet again, and this time wider and more unbelievably than ever - the feeling seems too etherial to be true! If there was ever a time for you to stretch your arms out like wings and scream, this was it By now you have lost your identity, swept away and sucked into the insanity of this track, held tight by its tight leads yet moved so groovily by the bassline. Crooked, choppy leads are introduced like uninvited guests as they push their way through other sounds in a cranky, difficult to ignore manner as broken beats begin pounding. 7:25 throws you straight back into the track with a powerful bang as looped FX with increasing speeds run through the track. Mennacing, annoying high's run through the track as well and just when you are about to assume the end is going to be "normal" , voila! A bassline tuned with venegance hits you in the face and finally comes to a stop. By this time you are bound to be in a dreamy slumber with jaws dropping, pupils dilated and dont even be too surprised if you have an erection...This really is grade A psychedelia. Absolutely fantastic! 11/10

Mindex - Zoki & Bada : Track 2 is by Mindex, another debut artist being churned out of Russia. A hologram like intro breaks into an abrasive bassline of solo beats with spooky atmospheres. The journey begins, with a well produced bassline - nice and flowy. The effects and leads are aimed at weaving their magic. The themes of this track confuse me, as i am uncertain as to whether it is morning psy or night psy, but frankly classification is irrelevant, smooth spaced out psychedelia is guarenteed! At 1:30 polyphonic sounding leads come into play - something that was first showcased by Psykovsky, however i notice that it has started to become a trend amongst several artists these days. Sounds are almost kept minimal for the next couple of bars until pure suspended bass is heard. Strings attatch the suspended bass to simplistic outdoor liquidy sounds. The bassline breaks out again with multiple effects penetrating ones ears from all sides. Melodic, cheerful leads come into the story creating a rather morning mood at this stage- somewhat reminds me of Zolod's melodic sounds! Simple hihats and claps kept standard make this track quite cool. Percussion work is also heard vastly to fill up breaks. At 4:56 the bassline gets a bit more furious as it comes back with punch and grind. Thick, foresty atmospheres crush effects and churn out a rather meaty product that is quite palatable to the ear! Definitely an outdoor track, not any sort of dancefloor destructor, but more of a mindtrip. I feel this was more suited to introduce the CD. Having a track like the Flucturion vs. Kraft is bound to raise hopes if placed as the first track 7/10

Kraft - Mental Virus : After listening to Kraft's first collaboration track on this CD, i was almost drooling by the time i heard this one Yet again dreamy atmospheres encompass a filtered bassline that breaks into it's true identity at 45 seconds. Squeeky, liquidy polyphonic leads are also heard in this track. The flow of the bassline is slow yet steady, allowing the listener to completely soak in the multiple layering present in this track. Grunt like leads come in spiralling as deep, mellow atmospheres linger in the air. It feels like you are in ghost town, just you alone and nothing else. 3:00 onwards leads are playfully altered as they sound symphonic. Midway through the track a break gives rise to disturbingly odd leads that sound something on the lines of a xylophone. "We are controlling..." goes the sample as thick, massive leads shadow the entire track. It is difficult to also miss the number of different, small, complex sounds that layer this track. Party horns begin to blow at 5:50 as the bassline begins to get altered in a deep manner, making things sound extremely groovy and danceable. The bassline sounds rather raw from here on, as dubbed percussion work coats the original bassline. From here on the whole story of the track takes new directions. The bassline gets bouncy and chopped down, as the track drifts low and slowly as dense, magnetic atmospheres erode the tracks body and finally come to a standstill. A well made track yet again but certainly not in the league of Kraft's earlier work. 7/10

Kindzadza vs. Kaliflower - 5th Essence : And finally we have the legend himself collaborating with his significant other - Dasha. Together, they are quite capable of coming up with something lip smacking. Viva Tempo on Parvati's VA - Psy Stories 2 was quite a monster! Lets get into this track... A monotonous layer rolls and lingers as a sweep brings in the kick. Woohoo! Now this what im talking about. A bloody solid, clean cut bassline comes in as bass booming percussion relentlessly knocks your temples out. Effects go in sync with the introductory bassline only to make it that much more groovy. Bassline tuning begins subtly, as the story begins to take shape. The track is like a machine by itself. A complete visual treat as one can picture a machine, with each of its parts beginning to pound in a progressive manner. Typical of Kindzadza - glitchy, squeeky leads dive head first into the track. The flow of the track is soon obstructed by Osom'ish breaks. Trademark telephonic Kindzadza high's are also heard. It is obvious that a lot of experimenting is being done, as the track's bass is changed every now and then throwing the listener into various dimensions. I cant help but believe Kindzadza has been influenced by Cosmo's glitchy breaks as they are heard at 5:04. Viscous, sticky percussion splashes out on the bassline leaving traces prominently. All of a sudden you have been pushed into the vortex, as the filtered bass spirals around you and effects give you tight sleps from all over. By the time you find yourself, you are shoved into the next labrynth. This time deeper, darker and dirtier than ever. Polyphonic lead sounds linger in the background as you stretch your ears' limits to hear them, you are quite unsure if they even exist! Auditory hallucinations maybe? Tight bassline tuning is back at full force with crazy effects co-inciding ideally to give you quite a treat. As your beginning to get your footing, the kick disappears as you take a comfortable seat on pure bass, left hanging in the middle of nowhere. Kindzadza's new style definitely sounds great, a more morning approach these days, yet extremely energitic! Spanking music! 9/10

rajatrao5
Inactive User
Started Topics :  17
Posted : Dec 30, 2006 09:52
Already Maged - Grimoire Pentagramme : Welcome to a different planet is all i can say. An extremely twisted intro with hostile layers and massive percussion in the distance is heard. Before you know it, you are surfing on clean, thick twisted bass as whispers fly by you. At 155 BPM the bassline sets in that is tuned in a rather rude, nasty, obnoxious way as classical drum percussion work occupy breaks. Energy levels begin to rise as the track begins to shift gears. Monotonous little leads run along the track's flow. You are suddenly elevated as the track straightens out at 5:15 with jelly like percussive work. Extremely uncomfortable, hostile environments are created, as twisted layers and samples fly through the strata. The bass starts to push its way through the track as frequencies are changed along with the intensities. This is definitely forest sounding music, as mushy, plastic leads appear with the red carpet rolled out for them. You are unexpectedly taken up a few floors higher as a wicked change in the bassline shoots you through the roof, you are back on your feet soon however. White noise slices through the track, as simply brilliant percussion work will get your feet stomping involuntarily! Oh my god what a track this is! Completely fucking insane and intense! All of a sudden you are dropped back onto earth as a rigid break slows things down with a rather alien voice. By the end of your first breath, you are shot back into space, this time a straight flat bassline with fantastic high's. Menacing laughing samples attack you from the sides, as paranoia runs through the depths of your mind! You look around and realize everyone else is as lost as you are. Your better off getting back into the party. Quick bassline changes make this a rollercoaster ride from here, as you skate over the white noise. Broken beats appear as the track comes to a standstill. You'd be rubbing your heading wondering what the hell happened over the past few minutes. In summation one of the bombs of this CD. Excellent work! 10/10

Furious - BTK : Next we have Furious, an artist who has several releases on a spectrum of labels and an album under his belt on Vertigo Records called Not For Fame. Beginning with rough soundscapes, chopped up beats and fast rolling percussion, the track off in no time as haunted vocal backgrounds sweep through. Then an outrageous twisted voice is heard, all you children of LSD will connect with it i am certain hehe Soon the 160 BPM monster bassline is under drive, as watery high's trickle over the track. Sharp leads also make themselves felt. Also quite a visual treat, sound effects make complex, intricate patterns all over the place. Killer breaks with percussive basslines glitch nastily giving way to sublimel basslines that will make you scream on the dancefloor - GUARENTEED! I tend to hear a similarity in leads with the trademark Polyphonia sound - the chaotic, paranoid, shrill ones in specefic. A sample on atomic energy and psychoactive drugs comes into play with delicious leads dancing around in your face. By now you are struggling to breathe, the drug has taken over your mind and the track has taken over the drug, you have absolutely no control over your mind and body, all you can do is move around like a puppet, as the track swells through your insides and infects you. It is amazing how at 160 BPM the leads and bassline are kept in sync with each other and under so much control. Breaks are kept simple and build up in amazing manner. A long twisted break towards the track's end blows out into a chaotic bassline, overflowing with psychedelic effects and rough edged percussion work and scrapes. And finally the track comes to a halt. This is high BPM dancefloor balagan at its finest. Simply superb! 10/10

Fearkiller - Tonkie Materi : I had heard about this track before it released, and it was one i had extremely high expectations of. Lets see if it lived up to my hopes... The hard hitting bassline is introduced by magical atmospheres. Weird alien like leads cut through the track along with industrial hihats that shimmer vibrantly. A short break appears, and soon your hands and legs are flying all over the place as leads begin flowing through every capillary in your body. Soon, things start picking up abruptly, this is not your doctors prescription! Expect the unexpected. By now you are well underway to manifesting that insanity lying within you. Multi layered madness chews its way through your brains, constantly pounding, showing the least bit of concern to your fried mind. Unique distinct breaks appear, only to highlight the madness. Desert like stretches of compressed filters and voice samples put you in nowhereland. You feel completely possessed by now. Things begin to get intense as sharp leads mutilate whatever is left of you. Sudden bassline changes elevate you and bring you back down every now and then. Organised Chaos is the only way to describe this setting. The track has an epic touch to it and all of a sudden the track begins to slow down leaving you begging for more on your knees! Wow, what a CD this is turning out to be! 10/10

Sprinter - Overdose : Sprinter has had one previous release on Zaikadelic Records. A brilliantly used sample begins the track off. A rough, razor edged bassline bores its way through the speakers. Completely whacked effects also pinch your skin from all ends. Flat, rubbery leads compliment a super thick bassline in a great way. The bassline is fresh and organic, as it has catchy stretches at every 4 bar. Distinct, braided percussion work begins midway through the track and creates an echoing atmosphere. Leads get noisy and remind me of small pieces of rubber being thrown all over the place. These sounds are bound to make you do socially unacceptable dance moves, anyone sane would think you need medical attention! full of twists and turns, this track is ot something you dont hear on standard dark releases. The noisy one of this CD, yet pretty cool. Enjoyed this track thoroughly. 8/10

CPC vs. Lost Eden - Doom Doom : CPC's new album really took the cake for me recently, and Lost Eden's track on Dejavu is also a memorable one for me. An intro that cracked me up for sure hehe! A thick, groovy outdoor bassline comes in as obnoxious laughter is heard. This track has a 'dont fuck with me' attitude to it. This is no game, its dead serious psystomp. A long disturbing break gives way to a solid bassline that will ram you out of your virginity! Sounds fall into place in an amazing manner. Flat, metallic percussion work is also under way, as the long breaks are bound to twist the lights out of you. Say hello to the first buildup of the CD, not the usual full on kinds but psychedelic! 3:45 made me scream in a manner in which almost lead to my girlfriend dumping me, oh my fucking god these guys rock the show! A groovy, dirty bassline performs like a star for you. Squeeky effects fly around leaving you disconcerted and detached from all worldly things. This track is definitely one of the best ones of the year. So little music of this nature is heard these days. Wwoowoowow what a track! 11/10

Psybird - Provocateur : Psybird went under the name Dvizheniya Ptitz long back. They've been quite for a long time now, lets see what new sounds they offer us with Provocatuer. A short mysterious intro gives way to the most industrial sounding bassline on this CD. Fantastic metallic percussion work hits hard as creepy sound layers play hide and seek with the listener. The bassline is so cold and merciless! Slick leads continue spitting out attitude in this track. Spaced out, liquidy sounds disperse with the flow of the track. This track is quite a respite on comparison to the rest of the tracks on this CD. A weird, mysterious break with alienated leads takes shape, as cold blunt beats amble gently. In no time, the industrial sounding kick is back as eerie atmospheres leak through the track perfectly. The track flows really smoothly, giving the dancer space to breathe and get back worldly pleasures. Perfect way to end the CD for sure! 7/10

In summary, a top notch dark release. One of the best IMO for 2006. The majority of the tracks were well above dark release standards these days. It is also important to note that this isnt just 10 bombs of pure psychedelia, it was more of a story infact. A CD well worth its money. Insomnia live up to their claims and reputation. An investment you WILL NOT regret.I so cant wait for the next one! Kick ass job Becar!

Rajat

INSOMNIA RECORDS : VA - Tomatogun can be bought at :

http://www.wirikuta.at/web66/product_detail.jsp;?showDetail=139682

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ino/ino1cd008.html

http://saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=6172

http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=3075

Shaqattack
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  71
Posted : Dec 30, 2006 13:57
a kickass review for a kickass cd.......

nice work both ways cd and review...

i loved almost every track on this cd....i think cpc is coming out with some exceptional music.....kudos to both his album as well as the bomber on this compilation.....
PsYcH0naUT

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Dec 31, 2006 13:14
indeed, this is a very nice compilation, can't get enough russian madness.
elegant fury deserves its name, kdd's new style is fuckin great, furious delivers pure acidelia and Fearkiller takes the cake, i mean come on, what an uber mind boggling track! not from this world
d1m1tr1
Dark Elf

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Dec 31, 2006 19:58
the CPC 11/10 indeed !!! powerful russian CD           http://darkelf.gr
http://www.sonic-loom.com
Sectio Aurea
Sectio Aurea

Started Topics :  31
Posted : Jan 1, 2007 21:17
Beautiful release!!! Very nice complex works on it....the Furious is something really special
keep going
          http://sectioaurea.bandcamp.com/
http://soundcloud.com/sectio-aurea
http://www.sectioaurea.org
Sunai

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Jan 1, 2007 23:34
GREAT REVIEW 4 GREAT COMPILATION
CONGRATULATIONZ
rajatrao6
Inactive User
Started Topics :  2
Posted : Jan 2, 2007 14:26
Thank you. I am happy that you guys enjoyed the review and the cd as well.
Happy new years!
Rajat
Meta-Morphosis
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  216
Posted : Jan 9, 2007 05:43
Hmmm Rajat taking review classes

It was a OK V/a, i really liked KDD and CPC even sprinter was really nasty.

Good work by insomnia none the less

b0m b0m            “What we need is the development of the Inner Spiritual man, the unique individual, whose treasure is hidden in the symbols of our mythological tradition and in man’s unconscious psych.” - CJ Jung
rajatrao6
Inactive User
Started Topics :  2
Posted : Jan 9, 2007 20:06
@lsd-25... ive noticed ive written more in this review than in all exams put together hehe also i refuse to believe you didnt like Kraft vs. Flucturion give it a few more listens!
Black Cat
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  16
Posted : Jan 11, 2007 21:03
Quote:

On 2006-12-31 19:58, d1m1tr1 wrote:
the CPC 11/10 indeed !!! powerful russian CD

Killer!!!CPC track is really KIller!!!

...and Rajat my friend...u made as always an exelent review!!!

Bom Bom           http://www.myspace.com/discovalleyrecordsgoa
DVRcd001Nocturne*DVRcd002AcidMutants
DVRcd003PsychoCell*DVRcd004HastaLasPastillas*DVRcd005Dark Side of GOA
DVRcd006CHApoRAS Tribal Dance*DVRcd007 1001 Nights*DVRcd008 Triton OUT!
Za7ZaY

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Jan 15, 2007 20:36
Dj Becar this is an awesome compilation
Kraft
psybird
fearkiller
sprinter
already maged
first of all i am shocked by your productions
the construction of the music the sounds
Riveting just Revolutionizing

the new dark sound from Russia is here and truely Reviting the scenario

waiting for more such milestones

Boom
-dudi-
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  41
Posted : Jan 16, 2007 10:36
this cd is absolutely dead serious !!

each track is so complex in structure and so well layed out ,,

brilliant muzik ,,, cpc vs eden , psybirds , kraft and furious were absolutely of the handle !!!

this cd has re-defined the next level of russian underground sound

the best cd of 2006 and one of the best i have heard since a long time ,,, keep it real !!
dE.Tonatik
Detonatik

Started Topics :  83
Posted : Jan 16, 2007 19:00

-------------->

super duper mega gega blasster of a compilation .russian delicacies mmmmuahahah

absolutely in love with this comp specially

Flucturion vs. Kraft - Elegant Fury
Furious - BTK
Already Maged - Grimoire Pentagramme
CPC vs. Lost Eden - Doom Doom
Fearkiller - Tonkie Materi

more music like this ..
big boom Dj Becar

deton@tik
KanibaL HolokausT
KanibaL HolokausT

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Jan 17, 2007 20:02
Sprinter-Overdose is d nicee track...           www.grotesque-records.com
www.myspace.com/kanibalholokaust
www.myspace.com/odium32
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Insomnia Records : VA - Tomatogun INO1CD008 (2006)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance