Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum  Forum  Trance - how does a dj get signed with a label?
← Prev Page
1 2
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

how does a dj get signed with a label?

mist
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  68
Posts :  642
Posted : Feb 8, 2006 20:54
Quote:

On 2006-02-08 19:20, basilisk wrote:
.... I'm also concerned with the scene turning into a house of mirrors, where everyone has a stake in this or that, and the focus on quality music becomes lost in a seething tide of marketing strategies.....




whatever happened to your label?
couldn't you simply use that affiliation?


          Are you connected to yourself?
http://soundcloud.com/justincaseboy
Basilisk
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  168
Posts :  2984
Posted : Feb 8, 2006 21:19
I could, but it seems false. I'm not commercially releasing anything and certainly not pretending to. I was told by the isratrance mods that I was the first user to ever request label status being removed from my account this story is three years old by now however... so it's not anything new.
Krell
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  33
Posts :  1114
Posted : Feb 9, 2006 22:36
Quote:

On 2006-02-08 21:19, basilisk wrote:
I could, but it seems false. I'm not commercially releasing anything and certainly not pretending to. I was told by the isratrance mods that I was the first user to ever request label status being removed from my account this story is three years old by now however... so it's not anything new.




When you die, you get center position on the divine dancefloor, while the others will have to be banging their heads against the speakers mid range drivers.

Best Wishes

Krell           Label DJ>
www.jesterrecords.ca
zafer
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  65
Posts :  290
Posted : Feb 9, 2006 23:52
crappy party by a crappy organizer...??? actually what is this great and qualitative contribution you ever given to the scene to distinguish yourself and allow yourself such statements?????

asslicking???? i call it contribution maybe, we don't need no fucking stars to be signed just coz their the best, there's already the commercial scene for this, my dear dj bobo....
people giving their blood deserve, for their efforts and passion for the scene, to represent labels and crews more than star wannabees with good skills...

same oold opinion i know many don't appreciate, imho is just a problem of frustration and jealousie of childs who watched to much big brother... ;-)
Krell
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  33
Posts :  1114
Posted : Feb 10, 2006 01:44
@Zafer

Im gonna reply to you in direct quotes - To avoid confusion, and I will quote myself to begin with, so we all know what we are discussing.

Quote Krell
"If you are to get bookings just from being a label DJ, you need that label to be something pretty big unless you are getting booked for a crappy party by a crappy organizer. "

Quote Zafer
"crappy party by a crappy organizer...??? "

Crappy organizers organize crappy parties. Im sure you agree, Im also sure you agree that crappy parties are no fun at all (else they wouldnt be crappy).

Quote Zafer
"actually what is this great and qualitative contribution you ever given to the scene to distinguish yourself and allow yourself such statements????? "

Do I need any ? Besides from taking part in the scene as a DJ and organizer for more than 10 years, all I bring to the scene is experience, dedication, knowledge & wisdom.

Quote Zafer
"i call it contribution maybe, we don't need no fucking stars to be signed just coz their the best, there's already the commercial scene for this, my dear dj bobo.... "

So you think the commercial stars are the most talented ? I disagree, very much so.
I think, justfication for putting artists on a given lineup comes from choosing the artists able to supply the best quality of music at the most affordable price.
Variation is also important, since just having the same artists over and over again gives little contrast to lineups. However, quality should never be sacrifced.

If we get caught up in letting tradition, conservatism and such dominate lineups we burn the bridge to evolution since 1: Artists do not have to evolve to get bookings, no competition! 2: New artists do not get booked, since the old timers own the lineups.

This fact does not promote me in anyway - I dont consider myself "new" at all.

Zafer
"people giving their blood deserve, for their efforts and passion for the scene, to represent labels and crews more than star wannabees with good skills... "

So you are talking about me then ? Thanks If blood means money, time and effort.
Good skills mostly come from dedicating a lot of your lifes time and effort into something. Did you factor that into your computation there?

Quote Zafer
"same oold opinion i know many don't appreciate, imho is just a problem of frustration and jealousie of childs who watched to much big brother... ;-)"

I very much respect dedication with artists (djs, producers, organizers, deco people) etc - Dedication for me is to use ones life to promote & work with something.
Without people sticking with it - experience is lost. So, it is very much relevant I think.

What I am talking about, in the quote I started this post with is - That crappy organizers, putting on crappy parties will book labels DJs just for the promotional effect - Talent, Dedication and the blood sacrifice you talk about doesnt mean a thing there.

The same will go for big commercial events, only difference is they are booking from well known labels, but, if their label affiliation wasnt there they wouldnt give a shit about the artists / DJs.

So, in effect focus has been taken away from the core of creativity & talent (the artist), and put on the promotional value of brands (the labels).

DJs are getting booked not for their art, but for their label affiliation. Which in turn means in some cases, more talented & dedicated DJs get left out, just because they didnt become affiliated.

Any label which has success will usually enjoy that success due to the fact that the label represents quality - Therefore, the artists affiliated with the label will usually deliver a good product in accordance with the labels reputation.

In regards to smaller labels, this is not always the case. Again, Im not promoting myself here, quite to the contrary.

Overall - With Djs being affiliated with labels the label affiliation takes away focus from the artistry itself, and puts it on the label. Natural evolution, and a fact.

Therefore, in relation to what Basilisk writes, freelance DJs will have a harder time finding their way to a lineup they dont control themselves - even though they might be the better choice in some cases.

Important thing to remember is labels are different. A label is not a complete quality controlled package.

Zafer - I will just come back to your most important point point.

Quote Zafer
"people giving their blood deserve, for their efforts and passion for the scene, to represent labels and crews more than star wannabees with good skills... "

If their efforts are worthwhile they will seed so much creative & positive energy that the effect of that for those people will be all the reward they need.

There are plenty of those people out there, who are not affiliated with labels, but are definately VERY worthwhile artists, and they often pick the shorter straw when push comes to show, for the reasons I stated earlier.

Best Wishes

Krell
          Label DJ>
www.jesterrecords.ca
morph27
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  52
Posts :  254
Posted : Feb 10, 2006 14:18
a blow job and a tenner usually gets u on a label i thinb?
Pt.
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  236
Posts :  6106
Posted : Feb 10, 2006 16:26
Quote:

On 2006-02-10 14:18, morph27 wrote:
a blow job and a tenner usually gets u on a label i thinb?



depends if your a boy or girl I guess.

Good info, good thread. I must just say that I agree with most statements made here by Krell and that other guy saying that this is a bad thing when DJ's cant be independent Ah.. I ment basilisk ..

I can understand, lets say Krell when he jumped on the label DJ thing. I would have done the same thing. It's a really good foot to have inside the "scene" and I bet he will reach far with the years to come. Nothing wrong in that. Securing his own future. I would prefer that then to be sitting here and selling computers all my life.

Dj .. ahh.. *dreams do come to life with enough work and effort*
Geomagnetic Records
Geomagnetic Records

Started Topics :  64
Posts :  423
Posted : Feb 12, 2006 08:42
As one of the "Newer Labels" (We had our first local releases in 2001 and our first international Releases in 2004), Geomagnetic.tv is looking for a variety of factors in "signing" a dj.

1. Dedication to the music, the dancefloor, and personal integrity (do what you love, do what you say) and have the skills and style to back it up.
2. Connections - I want someone who can pull their weight and make things happen in the world, follow through and manifest their reality with clear intention and good people skills
3. Believe in the vision of the label, be ready and eager to spread the word and promote like heck! and always be looking for new talent to join the label as associated artitst (for VAs) or Label Artists (for Albums, booking etc).

DJS that have been successful with us are the ones that are ready to compile a KILLER comp on a tight but reasonable budget, and that have lots of international bookings to help spread the word. Also being ready to help organize events in their region (and the experience to make them work) is huge plus =)

all the best luck to those out there who want to help spread the word with a label... its an honorable quest!

www.geomagnetic.tv/artists.htm
Nygma
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  63
Posts :  948
Posted : Feb 12, 2006 14:58
Quote:

On 2006-02-12 08:42, doctorspook wrote:
Geomagnetic.tv is looking for a variety of factors in "signing" a dj.

3. Believe in the vision of the label, be ready and eager to spread the word and promote like heck! and always be looking for new talent to join the label as associated artitst (for VAs) or Label Artists (for Albums, booking etc).




Good point, some signed djs i hear nowadays don't really promote their labels music, but do play various tracks released by other labels. I don't quite understand this behaviour, what is the reason to "deceive" the party crowd?

ok, most people don't hear the slightest distinction in musical styles between different labels, but still it does bother me, since i pay money to hear the releases of a certain label (according to the promotion on the flyer).

i agree with doctorspook that signed djs need to believe in the vision of their label and promote/enforce its music most of the time they perform in front of a dance floor.

or just stay independend and play the heck of killer track selection you want...           www.frakasoundrecords.com
fraka is a state of mind
Krell
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  33
Posts :  1114
Posted : Feb 13, 2006 09:40
Quote:

On 2006-02-12 14:58, Nygma wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-02-12 08:42, doctorspook wrote:
Geomagnetic.tv is looking for a variety of factors in "signing" a dj.

3. Believe in the vision of the label, be ready and eager to spread the word and promote like heck! and always be looking for new talent to join the label as associated artitst (for VAs) or Label Artists (for Albums, booking etc).




Good point, some signed djs i hear nowadays don't really promote their labels music, but do play various tracks released by other labels. I don't quite understand this behaviour, what is the reason to "deceive" the party crowd?

ok, most people don't hear the slightest distinction in musical styles between different labels, but still it does bother me, since i pay money to hear the releases of a certain label (according to the promotion on the flyer).

i agree with doctorspook that signed djs need to believe in the vision of their label and promote/enforce its music most of the time they perform in front of a dance floor.

or just stay independend and play the heck of killer track selection you want...




Not totally irrelevant what you write here, but you also run the risk of imposing restrictions on DJs which you shouldnt, since DJs are also artists and you need to respect that.

If a DJ is an artist, he/she must follow his heart REGARDLESS of affiliation. If you start choosing tracks because of who released them etc then you are putting your emotions and human expression at a lower priority than marketing/commercial values.
Promotion and "cold things" which are really just pure business (like serving burgers at McDonalds - Pure mass production).

So, I think while a label DJ should definately identify his own musical taste & vision with the label he/she affiliated themselves with its at least as important that he/she remains free to express themselves.

That is - If DJing is artistry. If it isnt, well - Then its just Mass Production - choosing tracks for business reasons.

Do not misunderstand this - Im not saying those who do only play their own labels music are wrong to do so, what you need to look at is the intentions behind the trackselection - A DJ must be as free as any other artist to express themselves, or he/she is no longer an artist.

Then again, some dont see DJs as artists at all, and as such these facts do not matter to them. Some dont see producers as artists either, a point of view which is growing quickly along with Psytrance production becoming more common "those 15 year olds producing full on cant be considered artists" - essentially stating that they are not worthy of the title.

Either they are all artists, or none of them are.

So, if we say they all are artists, what makes an artist good ? I would say his/her ability to express him/herself freely through following his/her heart, and this essential artistic impression must not be limited by business restrictions or something as mundane as a record label brands promotion interests (or you get Cut and Paste/Dead art).

Difficult to understand perhaps - but I believe strongly in this - Since music is to be experienced and fellt, not to be shaped into brand promotion tunes (unless its jingles for TV adds)

Best Wishes

Krell
          Label DJ>
www.jesterrecords.ca
Doctor Robert


Started Topics :  2
Posts :  6
Posted : Feb 13, 2006 21:44
Talk sweet to them
Trance Forum  Forum  Trance - how does a dj get signed with a label?
← Prev Page
1 2
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon


Copyright © 1997-2020 IsraTrance