Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Hoodwink - Audio Illusion (WildThings Rec., 2008)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Hoodwink - Audio Illusion (WildThings Rec., 2008)

antic

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Jul 17, 2008 02:18:07
Artist: Hoodwink
Title: Audio illusion
Label: WildThings Records
Released: 21.05.2008

1. Time and motion (6:52)
2. Getafix (6:40)
3. Pointless paradox (7:02)
4. Mental matrix (7:12)
5. Let me out! (8:04)
6. Audio illusion (7:16)
7. Evil twin (6:24)
8. Single cell (7:46)
9. Chronic (remix) (6:39)

Kelton Jones, a.k.a. Hoodwink, has been a member of WildThings Records family since the very start, opening their first ever compilation and featured on following two V/A's. "Audio illusion" is his debut album. Although his style shares a lot of common ground with other artists from this UK-based team his tunes were always a bit different - more minimal and sparse, focused mainly on the atmosphere and mood, rather than being simply full-on (in a positive meaning of the word).

The review

Just like it was with last year's "Reality Check" by RealityGrid, there's no point in describing every single track in detail here, because they're all more or less similar. Main ingredients are: simple full-on bassline (in a negative sense this time around), heavily echoed, reverberated and otherwise processed alien noises used as a background, carefully programmed and often very varied break-beat drums and assortment of squelchy acid lines on top of all that. This might sound like a good recipe for a storming tune, and in fact it works in many of tracks featured. Track #2 ("Getafix") I can only describe in one way: liquid robot dance! Don't ask me why, but the way the main line is tweaked instantly creates an image of a hardcore break-dancer doing his C3PO moves on the dancefloor... Track #3 ("Pointless paradox") is based around jumpy bass line, quasi funk-guitar acid stabs and some clever bursts of short arpeggiated synth loops. The idea is further developed in track #4 ("Mental matrix"), which peaks when a meaty, distorted low-passed main acid line meets with swirling hi-passed melodious overtones in a crackling combo. "Let me out!" (track #5) puts more emphasis on the background noises, stereo-field effects and heavy sound processing of almost every sound possible - this is one of those rare occasions, when these widely overused generic full-on squelches really work. Similar techniques were used in #6 ("Audio illusion"), although this time you can even put your own dignity at risk by trying to hum some of the lines while shaving, as they seem genuinely melodic. Other tunes are not far off, but they miss this extra factor to make them special - #1 and #7 seem very plain and frankly a bit boring, #8 doesn't really go anywhere and the original "Chronic" remixed in #9 was much better.

Final thoughts

I must say I'm feeling quite confused. On one hand, I expected a lot from this release and in the beginning I couldn't help but being very disappointed, because I hoped for something new and creative. Instead, all I heard were exactly the same sounds, structures and ideas he's been using for couple of years already. In addition, this can hardly by called an album - apart from general similarity, there's no theme or distinct flow here. But on the other hand - strangely enough - this has been the most often listened CD in my entire collection for the last 3 weeks! Despite all obvious flaws, the music featured on "Audio illusion" has a lot of character and individuality; it brings no new concepts, but makes use of the old ones in an almost perfect way. Plus, there's so much work here in all those background stuff and atmospherics that you're only able to notice it 10th time around. Now, if only he could avoid using those epilepsy-inducing full-on basslines and could employ more melodic elements into his tunes, I'm sure the effect would be awesome because the potential is clearly there.

As it is however, it's a very solid album, but not essential.

3/5
exotic
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  200
Posted : Jul 19, 2008 22:51
More melodies!! This is what this album is missing. The effects are cool , production amazing but at the end of the day it is melodies what you need to incorporate if you are producing full-on. antic nailed it , the tracks sound more or less the same and feels empty except single cell and let me out which are pretty good IMO. The baselines definitely are good but its the only thing that really stands out in the album. Its the lack of melodies which makes it a tad disappointing because there is nothing extraordinary that makes you jump and say woahhhh . The final product could have been so much better. Will work on the dancefloor no doubt.
          missing plug-in
Djones
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  267
Posted : Jul 20, 2008 21:15
Hmm, I actually like this sound a lot!
All this grlowingness and such is very trippy!
dirty 1

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Jul 31, 2008 00:53
i love this sound too.deep and minimal with great acidic sounds..i think its a refreshing change to the usual stuff...great stuff!!
raido

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Aug 3, 2008 11:23
try it again - hear and fear this one has hidden features, test it in the public, people will love it. heh
antic

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Aug 3, 2008 23:48
Quote:

On 2008-08-03 11:23, raido wrote:
try it again - hear and fear this one has hidden features, test it in the public, people will love it. heh

Who are you talking to? As far as I can tell, everyone - including me - were positive about this album...
raido

Posted : Aug 5, 2008 09:52
hey you are right, it seems i was just talking to myself then..
beardedwildthing
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  25
Posted : Aug 8, 2008 20:00
yeh great cd hoodwink ...love it man and getting great reports.keep that groove grooving.

www.wildthingsrecords.co.uk
evp
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Aug 10, 2008 05:41
Yeah.. this music works very well both at home and in the dancefloor (i tested it!!)

however it has an even greater potential that can only be experienced when listening at high volume with sub bass (i.e on a big soundsystem)...

Some of this psychedelic music isnt quite the same with just the mental vibration you need to feel physical vibration to unlock its power..

- after all it is designed for that purpose )

Happy listening

EvP!

www.myspace.com/evpuk
***Sideffect***
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  36
Posted : Aug 12, 2008 22:10
it's good,
I like the dark atmosphere combined with fullon elements,

well done           http://www.last.fm/user/LastFmKoen
beardedwildthing
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Aug 24, 2008 11:27
i played a lot of these at boom!went down really well to the global masses!!

pls buy and support the artists

www.wildthingsrecords.co.uk
Ah-sid

Posted : Sep 4, 2008 11:45
very bold and turbulent atmosphere with a tunnel like soundvisionscapes.good mind travelling sound into darkness.one of the best night album of this year till now.wildthings recs r proving their point very much here : )
dirty 1

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Oct 7, 2008 14:23
any news of a compilation with more hoodwink on?..i am loving this sound.

La Magica Boutique

Posted : Oct 7, 2008 15:09
I'm normally playing Hoodwink's album.. and the only thing I can say is that.. ROCKS!

I mean that immediately on the dancefloor people get transpotred from this shakey and funky basslines.. and the deep atmosphere on them is like a candy on a cake! (does it says like this?!?!)

So, as i was expecting, Hoodwink got a good point from me.. of course he will grow.. but when this is a debut album, imagine the future..

VIVA!
beardedwildthing
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Oct 9, 2008 19:33
i'm just compiling a new wildthings compilation to come out after the archaic album,our new signing!..there will be some new hoodwinks on there,and some more gems....for u to enjoy:)
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Hoodwink - Audio Illusion (WildThings Rec., 2008)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance