Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Gaudium - So Called Life - Iboga (September 2007)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Gaudium - So Called Life - Iboga (September 2007)

Galaxian
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Sep 23, 2007 17:17
Title: So Called Life
Artist: Gaudium (Andreas Wennersköld, Denis Bajramovski - Sweden)
Label: Iboga Records - IBOCD047
www.iboga.dk
Style: Progressive Trance

I though this review would be written earlier... cause this album definately deserves a word! After their debut "Nordic Nature" on Spiral Trax and bunch of single tracks on strong progressive labels, here is second Gaudium album! About the tracks:

01 - Surprise, So Nice
And it is! Album shots of with hard kickin track. Strong kick, growling bassline and very good tech alike rhythm which is sooo present on this album. Very nice track indeed. Also i liked screamers in this track and how they are used in this track! Aso, production is at very very high level.

02 - So Called Life
Thing hooked up in here Faster and more tribal approach to the rhythmness in here. Bassline is groovy and pumping - which provides constant energy supply :-D Nice synthworks too - remind a bit of Nordic Nature track to me..

03 - 4 Outputs
A track from the previous Iboga 'Set7' compilation... Well, what to say? It IS pure progressive trance dancefloor peace for sure So many melodies here.. Good track

04 - Beer, Drugs and Hookers
I thought its pretty stupid track according to the title... But that seems to be completely unimportant. Keeping the groove from the previous track, progression here is amazing. Melodies in this track are totally trance oriented. Very good track and great for a faster proggy mix.

05 - Calm Reality
Track no.5 on album starts up a bit slower with sooo sharp pumping bass Pattern by pattern track constantly evolves. Not much to say here, its just another very good tune

06 - Killer (vs. Dualsnug)
Ahh, one of my favs For me, the most dynamic track on album. High energetic atmosphere, and deep spacy pads... just great

07 - Kick Bas
Totally wicked track. Kinda acidic bassline with emotional appproach made this track one hundred percent pure scandinavian progressive sound.

08 - One
One brings us a little bit slower tempo and returns atmosphere from the first track. Amazing production technique in here. Effects on pads and bassline are really good. But, i didnt like second part of the track which was had too much acid leads for me.

09 - Sit Back, Relax
Oh year, after amazing album, one chillout peace It's just five minutes of nice chill with nice percussions and chords.

10 - Hyper Space
The last track is the track previously released on Emok's compilation "Crossing Borders" recently released. Nice 135 bpm proggy tune. Nothing special, but with fine flowing atmosphere.

Final Word:
Well, i must say that i am pretty satisfied Album has a bit different sound comparing to the first album, which is definately more trance orioented. But it still has that unique Gaudium feel which just sounds so good. So, it is definatelly recomended release, both to progressive and psytrance audience.
8/10

From Iboga.dk:
Iboga Records Presents the new album by Gaudium “So called life”. After a great success with the Swedish duo’s first album “Nordic Nature”, which was released on Spiral Trax, the boys are ready to deliver the next batch of pure Scandinavian progressive trance music. Their sound is rich and emotional with a certain depth, containing high quality sound production, placing them firmly at the top of their genre. It works magic on the dance floors, already proven by the Iboga DJs and in their own live sets around the globe.
Underlining the quality at hand, we also find their hit “4 outputs” on the disc, Previously featured on “Set: 7” from Iboga, and a track that already made a good & solid impact globally. Another winner CD from Gaudium & Iboga Records!

Links:
www.gaudium.se
www.myspace.com/gaudiummusic
PlutoDelic
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Sep 24, 2007 09:59
hmmm, i guess i expected to much, i like some pieces inside but i dont like the changes           PSYKS
Sound Surgeon
Crater / Mish-kah

Started Topics :  250
Posted : Sep 25, 2007 00:21
the first track is great! nice album overally, not electro like pretty much everything these days.
Djones
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  267
Posted : Sep 25, 2007 22:01
Haven't given it a full focused listen yet, but so far I'm really liking this album.
Funny now that I see, Killer was co-produced with Dualsnug, as I really thought it sounded very much like him:-)

For now my favorite track is 4 outputs, really powerful stuff which would get everyone jumping on the dancefloor with that enormous lead taking control over the track!
***Sideffect***
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  36
Posted : Sep 26, 2007 01:07
very good album,
neelix style considering kick, less fullon influences,
more psychedelic, more detail,
keeps me busy,
very smooth melodies if used, totally not overloaded,
nice concept,
crystal clear like their previous/debut releaese
great on headphones,

an absolute must for all progressive lovers !!

thanx a lot           http://www.last.fm/user/LastFmKoen
aden
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  81
Posted : Sep 27, 2007 13:46
My belated review:

Artist : Gaudium
Title : So called Life
Label : Iboga Records
Type : artist album
Style : Progressive Trance
Format : CD and MP3
Release date : spetember 2007
Cover : http://twohandsdistribution.com/images/covers/ibogacd47-500.jpg

After their successful first album at Spiral Trax in 2005, entitled Nordic Nature, and a few subsequent releases at labels such as Sinn Tec, Plusquam and Blue Tunes, which drew both public and critical attention, the Swedish duo Gaudium (“satisfaction”,” joy”, “happiness” in Latin) which brings together Andreas Wennersköld and Denis Bajramovski, have joined the Iboga roster to release their second album. Will this second installment published at such a prestigious label live up to expectations?

Track list
01/ Surprise, so nice
02/ So called life
03/ 4 outputs
04/ Beer, drugs and hookers
05/ Calm reality
06/ Killer (vs. Dualsnug)
07/ Kick bas
08/ One
09/ Sit Back, relax
10/ Hyper Space

1/ Surprise, so nice starts with a catchy combination of percussion rolls and distortion-tinged bass. The rhythm soon changes and adopts a more orthodox yet groovy trance pace that overlays squeezed silicon sounds. Definitely a sweet opener!

2/ The second track features reverberated pads floating over the eponymous voice sample “so called life”. The break with delay fx introduces a melodic theme that will sound outrageously full-on to Progressive fundamentalists, even though it does not affect the compelling drive of the piece.

3/ 4 Outputs, previously released in DJ Bakke’s tasty “Set 7” compilation, is expertly constructed with the typical oscillating bass/kick combo often found in their first album. An interesting break features a high-pitched whining harmonic twist that eventually leads to a slightly humpty-dumpty melodic resolution. However, a very nice track in their signature Scando epic vein. A strong asset in this album.

4/ Beers, Drugs and Hookers opens with a sample of Gaudium’s favourite echoing pads, soon followed by the sweet intertwining of two melodic lines that receive the appropriate reverb fx to make impressionable souls fly, while those made of sterner stuff, allured by the title, might expect some more ballsy and kinky action like in their favourite Anabolic movie.

5/ Calm reality is another piece of the Duo’s epic and uplifting music with their driving bassline, trademark lead and uplifting synth work. Yet it sounds IMHO quite formulaic to me, and very close to familiar full-on productions.

6/ Killer, co-written with Swiss project Dualsnug (Sven Snug and Dualism) features stratospheric pads that slink along a funky lead and distant percussions. The rhythmic combo is as relentless and compelling as you could wish for. The break brings about a short sequence close to BBE’s “Diamonds” and relaunches the second half of the track with the ominous voice sample “you’re about to enter the world of the universe ultimate killer”. Not exactly original but it sure does the trick pretty well.

7/ Kick bass will make the lovers of « Nordic Nature » feel at home, as it sounds very close to their now classic « Muzzic » or « Sleep walker » precisely for the rhythmic combo (even if the bass line makes swift modulations here and there) and the nice use of the soft reverbs on the synth work. Others might grumble for the lack of novelty in this section.

8/ One features a chunky, bumping and bouncy bassline, yet deprived of originality in the context of the whole album. It ushers in a sweet, flute-like, airy motive which eventually leads to a more formulaic melodic treatment intertwining its line with a brief vocal sample.

9/ Sit Back, relax is, as the title rightly suggests, a 5 mn piece of chill out music in the break beat style.

10/ Hyper Space, as said above, has already been selected by Emok, one of Iboga’s head Honchos, in his compilation and mixed album earlier released at Wakyo. It features a nice oscillating and hypnotic lead that has the “hyperspace” vocal snippet inserted into it. It gently evolves towards a more atmospheric mood, contrasted by deep reverberated pads. A very nice finish, and arguably, one of the best tracks of the album.

Bottom line
So Called Life is a good and coherent follow-up to the first album, flawlessly produced, loaded with positive energy. Gaudium fans will find plenty of dance-floor-pleasing music and won’t feel “left behind” with this new installment, as some of the Duo’s signature sounds are reinvested in this new opus, together with a hardened / more pounding, yet unvaried rhythmic treatment. This being said, don’t look for ground-breaking innovations nor for a genre-crossing listening experience. The Scando epic vein is there, but strongly coloured with, and mitigated by, full-on-ish atmospheres and ingredients which might set a limit to the enjoyment of this record.

Aden

Related link

http://iboga.itc.nu/index.php
J
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  193
Posted : Sep 28, 2007 20:04
9/10 imo.

Great proggy stuff!
I'm loving it!

Thumbs up for Gaudium!
soulsphere
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  21
Posted : Sep 29, 2007 17:45
one of the most promising artists in the prog scence
3rd track is an absolute killer...u've been warned
Tox-pix
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  11
Posted : Oct 4, 2007 04:47
Damn, as long as I'm travelling in South America I can't get this, f@ck+ng sh*t. Maybe I get lucky somewhere along the way...
The Gaudium boys tested most of these tracks during their live at the VuuV & it sounded great there. Plenty of 303-sounds, if I remember correctly? Can't wait to get my hands on this one, Nordic Nature was my album of the year!
Nathan
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  301
Posted : Oct 4, 2007 12:51
Amazing album!           -=The Meaning Of Life Is To Give Life A Meaning=
Nexus

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Oct 6, 2007 10:07
My top prog release of the year so far. Pick this up if you still haven't. There is just something in there that's so nice and warm, even if it's the universe's ultimate killer...
orange
Fat Data

Started Topics :  154
Posted : Oct 7, 2007 17:04
great album.

its nice to listen something thats not electroish..!

good work.

ps. pm me its important !          http://www.landmark-recordings.com/
http://soundcloud.com/kymamusic
psywerk

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Oct 7, 2007 17:41
it is electroish to me, comparing to sun control species album which is the purest and the most unique release iboga released this year imo.
klaxer
Koan / Vacuum Stalkers

Started Topics :  11
Posted : Oct 7, 2007 20:10
Very cool stuff. I like it.
Xolvexs
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  241
Posted : Oct 8, 2007 17:58
i think Iboga is the record label of the year
all their albums/comps so far have been top notch. its the one label whose cd i would buy just by looking at the label           When death comes to your doorstep, make sure you are alive
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Gaudium - So Called Life - Iboga (September 2007)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance