Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Four Carry Nuts -Mechanical Age- Aurinko Rec2004 (AURCD04)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Four Carry Nuts -Mechanical Age- Aurinko Rec2004 (AURCD04)

Panzer

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Jun 13, 2004 14:53
Four Carry Nuts -Mechanical Age-
Aurinko Records 2004 (AURCD04)

1. Hexagon
2. Mechanical Age
3. Falling Chains
4. Theory Of Gravitation
5. The System
6. Red Shift
7. Pendulum
8. Violet Ray
9. Convergence

In the -age- of full-on and prog, the pioneering sounds of 604 can hardly be found. Gone are the 303 acid synths and layers of overflowing melodies. This absense of elements that drew many people into psy in the first place during the mid 90s resulted in so called -old skool moaning-. Occassionally releases with the mighty acid synth appear (like the latest Electric Universe and stuff from Funland), or not (Chi-ADs Earthcrossing).
Bring on Four Carry Nuts, which feature the great Tim Schuldt and Detlev Funder. I used to dig Tim's material a lot but his switch to primarily industrial left me somewhat underwhelmed, with the exception of the more subtle and chilled Spies project. Fortunately -Mechanical Age- is a welcome return to more familiar territory; dark yet melodic 604. Opener -Hexagon- sets immediately the tone, phat pompeus synths accompanied by the typical heavy rhythm section. What prevents it from becoming an industrial mess of pure gothic darkness, is the use of uplifting melodies. These -rays of light- work remarkable well with the rhytmic gloom. The title track follows a different pattern. It starts without melodies, ends abrupt with a nice break and continues with a very epic sounding melody. Great stuff. In track 03 Tim's beloved guitar makes a dominant appearance. Its remarkable how excellent heavy metal and goa blend sometimes, and Four Carry Nuts are no exception. Track 04 sounds as if it escaped from an X-Dream album, more technoish than the rest. Not my favorite track onhere but -Mechanical age- is above all varied so it doesn't hurt. -The System- is the most evil and gothic track on the album including distorted vocals. Again a great break enhances the listening experience. After this violent track, lightness return with a somewhat 'Orange Acid' influenced track. Perfect uplifting morning music in the old Astral Projection style (minus the cheeziness of course). No light without darkness seems to be the credo so the next two trax are heavy again. Before becoming completely dizzy, -Convergence- slows things down to a chillout tempo, a superb 'optimistic' melody comes along which floats nicely until its taken over by a heavy guitar. Also a very nice use of bongos here. After a long silence a paranoid sounding bonus track ends the CD.

-Mechanical Age- is CD full of ideas which are well executed and production is top notch. Apart from heavy floorfillers, the many breaks and variation make this also a nice home listening experience. Moreover, Four Carry Nuts manage to capture the 604 experience without anywhere sounding dated. Thnx Tim and Detlev.
Alek

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Jun 14, 2004 14:04
Very good album!

I always liked FCN and Tim Schuldt, but my expectations grew weaker over time... so I have to admit the album sounds way better than I expected... nice surprise.

Best tracks:

01 Hexagon
06 Red Shift
08 Violet Ray - Very old one, but still a good choice to have it on the album...

And 05 The System - has to be the worst... probably a heavy metal remix... too aggresive with no flow...           How am I supposed to hallucinate with all these swirling colors distracting me!
Afterhourz

Posted : Jun 15, 2004 01:08
Yes I liked the album very much too.

Pendulum imo best track people freak out on it and thats what tracks suppose to do

other favorites 2,3 and 5 , 'The System' I like this :actually very raw very much industrial ,but tastes differ ofcourse

the album as a whole sets itself aside from latest other releases which is a good thing

cheers Tim & Detlev

"Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming, those who find beautiful meanings in ugly things are the cultivated..."
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Jun 15, 2004 16:05
Hmm it sets itself aside from other releases. Yeah, that's true, but when you consider we've been waiting for this album ever since 1999 or so, I think it's not at all that good. The sound is just way too gritty for me, their other releases like Lucy, Donuts etc really did it for me, but this is just not what I expected it to be. When it came out I was overjoyed, but after listening to the samples of these tracks I thought: Yeah, whatever. And the voice in track 5 just plain sucks! I mean, I thought Tim would keep this for his own album, the experimental First Error Code. But no, he had to do it on this one as well! And one other thing: The Violet Ray song can already be found on a compilation called Password is Love, and that dates from 2001. The version on offer here is exactly the same. So they took a three year old song and slapped it on this one. And I don't know, but somehow with all their equipment and considerable talent (I mean, Detlef and Tim are not the least of musicians, and great masterers too!) you'd expect something better than this! I'm sorry guys, you rocked once... but just don't rock anymore. And I'm hoping you're not trying to create yet another subgenre like Industrial Psytrance? This effort just chugs along, and there are way too much guitars in it! If I want to hear guitars, I want to hear people playing them with precision and accuracy, and produce some goddamn melody, not just the same riffing over and over again! No, this is not for me, though there are probably plenty of people out there that would like this!
          "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
Alek

Posted : Jun 16, 2004 02:26
Ah yes I forgot.. 07 Pendulum is also a good one... and yeah, tasted differ           How am I supposed to hallucinate with all these swirling colors distracting me!
Pip
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Jun 16, 2004 21:08
Funny how the old acidsounds suddenly sounds fresh...Well i like it a lot           "The Only Good System.. IS A GOOD SOUNDSYSTEM!"
Mark(Dalmat)
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  47
Posted : Jun 17, 2004 02:49
this is amazing stuff i respect tim doc alot waht a stufffffff

pendulum is one of the best !!!i like all the album but this is special!!

w00w!
P_Mac
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  61
Posted : Jun 17, 2004 09:29
. . tis has to b the worst aurinko release to date . . . .big disapointment . . .           
www.boomfestival.org
www.ketuhrecords.com

DONT SEND MP3 SAMPLES PLS!!!!!
Alek

Posted : Jun 20, 2004 20:34
Quote:

On 2004-06-17 09:29, P_Mac wrote:
. . tis has to b the worst aurinko release to date . . . .big disapointment . . .

Wow... I am surprised you think that... perhaps you can elaborate?           How am I supposed to hallucinate with all these swirling colors distracting me!
macdeath
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  24
Posted : Jun 25, 2004 01:24
this album is the first at any kind of music that is pioneer from the begining till the end.without some melodic tunes it would be better.best track:system/its very dangerous for dancefloors like nuclear dawn
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Jun 25, 2004 15:42
Well, as I said, I hope this isn't going to become another subgenre, since I don't like most of the tracks at all. The System is by far the worst track I've heard in a while...
          "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
GhregOnEarth
Phosphene

Started Topics :  30
Posted : Jun 25, 2004 23:17
This album is Great!

It returns to the roots of the music twofold by touching on Goa and EBM/Industrial Motifs.....in so doing it stands in stark contrast to the most of the releases these days.

Hopefully this will harken to an age when artists are once again not afraid to take chances and be creative.

Very Inspiring.
TIMO

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Jul 9, 2004 10:54
Very good STUFF !!!
I don`t want to analyse all nine tracks or
write about "colours" someone might see during listening this great album.

At the moment it`s hard to find a release where the bases are as different as at the "mechanical age" album, i think.
Furthermore i want to mention the detailed sound design, respect Tim and Detlef, really FAT !

greetings to AURINKO

TIMO
totems

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Jul 10, 2004 06:19
4 carry nuts
1 crazy album!
sam i am
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Jul 16, 2004 04:16
track 2's wicked           new Hadal Drop album on the way

if you don't have the last one get in touch
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Four Carry Nuts -Mechanical Age- Aurinko Rec2004 (AURCD04)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance