Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Ecliptic - A Fissure In Silence (Maia Records 2005) CD

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Ecliptic - A Fissure In Silence (Maia Records 2005) CD

DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : Dec 23, 2005 18:53
Ecliptic – A Fissure In Silence

Cover: http://tinyurl.com/akpdp (front) + http://tinyurl.com/b2bs9 (back)

Artist: Ecliptic (Mexico)
Title: A Fissure In Silence
Format: CD (jewel case)
Label: Maia Records (Mexico)
Cat. #: MRCD07
Distribution: Arabesque
Date: 12 December 2005

Track listing:

01. 07’52” The Oompa Loops
02. 07’32” A Fissure In Silence
03. 08’34” Illegal Frequency
04. 07’20” Think Funky (Remix)
05. 08’26” Oversoul
06. 07’30” Equilibrio
07. 07’20” To Pass Over Thoughts
08. 08’12” Reveillon
09. 08’16” Mascarade
10. 05’31” Zero Point (Lunar Sound Remix)

.m3u-playlist: http://tinyurl.com/9ytk2 (all tracks!)

Review:

The great circle representing the apparent annual path of the sun… The eclipse!

Mexican full-on label Maia Records is out with the debut album by Ecliptic. This Mexican duo consists of Raul Mejia and Juan Carlos Navarro and they’ve been producing music since 1999… I’ve only recently become aware of their talent - and I really liked their track on the Build Your Own Reactor compilation released on Liquid Records in 2005… I dubbed that track the Zombie Nation of psytrance with its unique, edgy, futuristic morning trance appeal… Interesting stuff and I hope this album will be too…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: The Oompa Loops [143 BPM]
“Oompa-Loompas! Well, they can’t be real people. Of course they are real people!” Forget about cacao beans, these are Oompa Loops – not Loompas… Anyway, what we get here is a very fragmented full-on morning track with a pretty solid kick-drum… Riddled with all kinds of samples – both familiar and fresh ones… And it really works; this is high-quality full-on… I totally dig it!

#02: A Fissure In Silence [141 BPM]
“We can affect the future!” The title track continues in the uplifting morning full-on style… The basslines are pretty bland and kinda boring, but luckily there’s enough other interesting stuff to make up for it… Like the hard-core tweaking and morphing going on… Also the metallic kick is sweet… Well, we’re not exactly re-inventing the wheel but for full-on, this is still pretty nice…

#03: Illegal Frequency [145 BPM]
Whereas the two previous tracks featured edgy full-on, I’m afraid this is more like formulated full-on… Predictable, standard basslines and rolling synths... Also the samples seem to annoy me… Sad really! I tend to skip this track – there are better things ahead!

#04: Think Funky (Remix) [144 BPM]
We’re still in full-on morning territory, but I like this track better than the previous one… Somehow they’ve upped the ante, cranked up the groove-meter and improved the kicks… The break-down part and following climax are pretty sweet, but still, there’s not much new under the sun here… But still a nice little track…

#05: Oversoul [144 BPM]
Despite the same BPM count, this track seems less funky, and more upbeat than its predecessor… And I’m afraid, that’s a turn for the worse – this is as standard as it gets… Fast-paced, formulated full-on with a bland bassline and some kind of guitar incorporated into the kick… It would be really awesome if we hadn’t heard it 10,000 times before…

#06: Equilibrio [145 BPM]
This track takes on a slightly darker approach to full-on trance… Gone are the most obvious cheese pitfalls, and we’re left with a pretty trance-inducing piece of music… Reminds me of newer Tristan, with razor-sharp synth stabs and a well-defined rhythm-section… Pumping like crazy and with enough twirling acid-lines to keep me interested… Also the sampling is particularly nicely done here – and the break/build-up part/break is sweet! A nice tune!

#07: To Pass Over Thoughts [138 BPM]
As you can tell, the BPM drops here – only to be rise again for the next track… So flow-wise, I’m not sure how well-placed this track is… Anyway it looks worse on paper, and this track also has a slightly darkish feel (which validates the placement I guess…). This has a lazier beat than the predecessor though, and I’m happy to say, that this is also a pretty nice tune… Reminds me of recent Dragonfly stuff, with ultra-tight production value and huge soundscapes… Like a darker version of Mr. Peculiar… Groovy!

#08: Reveillon [145 BPM]
And here’s another solid full-on track – less dark, but still very much a night time tune… The bassline is deep and rolling and the vocal work is spooky… The guys also manage to incorporate an old-school melody into the frenzy that is this track… Hectic to say the least, but instantly dancefloor friendly… Ecliptic full-on indeed!

#09: Mascarade [140 BPM]
This track was made by the Ecliptic guys in corporation with good old Michele Adamson – who shouldn’t need further introduction… Her vocal work is indeed impressive, and it really fits this hard-hitting track… The bassline is crisper than ever here, and the production is absolutely tight … The melodies form a nice base and the surrounding twists and turns are all nicely done… Another winner!

#10: Zero Point (Lunar Sound Remix) [105 BPM]
We finish things off with a chilled tune… Lunar Sound is an alias for Ecliptic, so the guys are remixing themselves here… What we get, is an exotic downbeat tune with all kinds of sunny elements – tribal drums alongside playful synths… Pretty nice, but not my fav’e here…

This album was better than I expected – I had my doubts with Maia Records releasing it, but then again, the track I already knew by the Ecliptic guys was pretty damn fine… And for the most part, this album surprised me positively… Well – apart from the boring full-on tracks in the middle part of the album… But overlooking those three tracks, the rest of the album is pretty damn sweet… The first track rocks – and those last four dancefloor tracks are real sweet… High-quality edgy Mexican full-on! Nice!

I’m not too impressed with the cover-art, but most of the music speaks for itself… So, in conclusion this was a full-on album that surprised me in a positive way… Full-on yes, but with enough edgy choons to keep me interested.... Check it out; you might be in for a surprise! Enjoy!

Favourites: 1(!), 2, 6, 7, 8(!), 9

DeathPosture

External links:
Maia Records: http://www.maia.com.mx
Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/587882
Maia Online Shop: http://tinyurl.com/cgaym
Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/arjlg
Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/dcfun
Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/dn2nw
Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/dg49j
Juno: http://tinyurl.com/dr2c7           On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
liquid ross
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  39
Posted : Dec 24, 2005 14:45
this album for me was the best artists release of 2005 !! ... Ecliptic have an amazing sound .. this is real full on psychedelic funk drenched in acid stuff ... big smiles in every tune !!
nice one Ecliptics!

x
psylev

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Dec 24, 2005 22:08
i not have word's people .... the music speak good album !
Barak
Barak/Teen Sluts

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Dec 24, 2005 23:04
YEEEEEEEEEHAAW!!!
I can just say CONGRATULATIONS!!! This is the best Mexican album ive heard in a LONG time! Since ive only heard this cd 3 times (complete), i can just say a small brief of the tracks that really took my attention away. This album is... Original, Groove, FUNKY (in the top of everything!) and of course, its music that reminds me beautiful beaches, girls, sun, beers with tomato juice... EXCELENT! For me the best tracks are:

Oompa Loops - Great guys! This track really kicks into powerfull morning stuff! With the already-known Ecliptic Groove and "question and answer" FX and leads, they push the track into a really good dancefloor piece!

A Fissure In Silence - PFFFF wow! Hahaha yes, this is what im talking about! While the older Ecliptic style was similar, but not this agressive, they impressed me with new audio managing and twisting! Great track! Specially in the bassline work!!

Think Funky RMX - Hahaha get outta here!!! one of the BEST ive ever heard from ecliptic, for me this is one of the best from the album too! (obviously) I love the basslines, that in companion with the "POPOTAZO" leads, make a "great groove n dance" hit early in the morning at the dancefloor!!!

Revellion - HOLY SHIT!!! By far one of my 2 favourites in this album!!! I love it, its kind of a new stuff in their style, more agressive than ever, and the leads make this one a little different from Ecliptic´s style, great! More nightstuff

Zero Point (Lunar Sound RMX) - No words for this one, i have told you this a lot of times guys, your chill and dub stuff is just professional, in all details, a lot of respect, i love the melodies, and in the top of everything, the musical ideas and story inside, TERRIFIC! hahaha

In brief, this album is one of the FINEST full on and morning tracks ive heard in my country, their long career make this guys my favourites BY far in the scene now, i like a lot of artists in my country, but this one satisfies every detail i look for in an album, specially with that amazing Chill Tune, man, this guys got TALENT!!!

Great Job BASUROTAS!!!! KEEP KICKIN ASSES!!!

- BARRAKUDA

Vazik
Vazik/Indika/Bienmesabe

Started Topics :  64
Posted : Dec 25, 2005 03:34
Definitely one of the best albums of the year, solid, groovy and energetic stuff, its Ecliptic´s style... it just rocksss, congratulations amigos, keep on blasting compadressss            ----- www.myspace.com/vazik -----

----- sounds of earth label head -----
:::::::: www.soundsofearth.net :::::::

((---- radiance festival mexico ----))
-- www.myspace.com/radiancefestival --
exotic
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  200
Posted : Dec 25, 2005 12:27
ecliptic is definately two throws away from the normal full on crap !!

this is funky psy ..

pass over thoughts and zero point are fantastic           missing plug-in
illusions
Erebus
Started Topics :  40
Posted : Dec 26, 2005 04:40
probably the best album of 2005 for me.

funky - smart - psychedelic and very unique sound. keep up the fantastic work !
illusions
Erebus
Started Topics :  40
Posted : Dec 26, 2005 04:42
liked it so much, i had to double post
pamelilla

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Jan 1, 2006 17:44
A Fissure In Silence, an excellent album!!!, Juanito and Raul did a really great job with this album, with a unique and really cooll style!!!.
I hope everyone enjoys it!!!.
My favorites tracks are:
Ommpa Loops
Equilibrio
Mascarade.

andrreas

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Jan 6, 2006 03:46
WOW!! I was so impressed when I got this cd on the mail, I was a bit dissapointed with some of the last cd's I bought from Mexican artists, so I was a bit negative at first, but Ecliptic's album blew me away!!!

Production wise is off the hook!! very unique style, groovy as!!

Congrats Juanito & Rulas, love your style, keep it up. you guys are a quality act. wish you guys all the best!!!!!

fav trax. 1!!!!! 3,6,7!!

andrreas
Instinct

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Jan 6, 2006 04:03
very nice album , great production,wonderful music quality , i like ecliptic style....

favoryte tracks are:

Oversoul
Mascarade
Reveillon

congrats guys

--------------------------------------------------
www.xdc-music.com
www.ismerai.net
http://groups.msn.com/thexdreamcomunity
Salmon-80

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Jan 9, 2006 15:22
great music, great project.
thanks guys for your album, nice stuff, i like this sounds. wait more released from us.
D-Acidhead

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Jan 10, 2006 14:34
Excellent Album indeed...
Two thumbs up for Ecliptic! Keep on the good work guys...

Kampai
thinman242

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Jan 10, 2006 16:56
Mature work. great production and something different than a rolling bassline and some sounds. veeery groovy music. bravo to ecliptic!!!!
ricardo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Jan 12, 2006 02:33
Hats off para los Mexicanos....

Always loved their music...Super fresh groovy sounds....One of the coolest releases in 2005 for sure......

Keep the good work maricones!!!

Best,

Ricardo
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Ecliptic - A Fissure In Silence (Maia Records 2005) CD

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance