First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

** DOOF - Lets Turn On ( 1996) **

*Karma Cola*
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  113
Posted : Dec 14, 2005 10:41
Hello Hello my frisky lil ponies. Guess its about time for another *classic* review.

"Doof" is the work of 28 year old london based musician Nick Barber. Read music for your feet and hips, fully stomping, multi melodic grin makers aimed at your heart and soul his musical influences stretch back to the pre?techno days of punk reggae, rock & indian ? all of which combine to give doof music its unique sound.
http://www.twisted.co.uk/flashindex.html

Label: TIP Records (Saikosounds says Twisted Records? )
Released: 1996
Genre: Electronic
Style: Goa Trance

1. Lets Turn on.
An aptly named track, this track seeks to show u what ur about to experience for the next half-hour or so. Starts with a rippling and a very technoish sounding fx. But as it gets thinner and thinner and a warm melody kicks in, u can see that he's wasting no time. Quite a melancholy soundin melody this one, and it glides across, filling u, nudging you along. Around the 3rd minute he steps it up one notch and it continues in this pace, its just fantastic. Nice is an understatement.

2. Mars Needs Women (96 mix)
AHHH!! The track that spawned a million psy babies, needs no introduction. This is one of those tracks that makes u nostalgic and crib abt the *good ole days*, doesnt matter that the copy i have is old old, its just awesome. Especially when the sample kicks in "mars needs women" all u can do is smile!!. This track can transplant u to those days of the first Goa parties, flayin ur arms about in the warm sands of Anjuna, groovin to this signature, sharp melody. Groovy is the word.

3. Youth of the Galaxy ( Final demand Mix)
No wastin time, high definition psychedelia around now. Acidic riffs start introducing u to the third track . A second layer jumps over and with a coupla tweaks around he plays with that to create a more robotic atmosphere. U can really dig to this shit!! A very nice, movin operatic melody moves in around the 4th minute and a sample of "youth of the galaxy" sweeps into a cresendo. Acidic plunge and BOOM!! ur back into doof world, highly psychedelic.

4. Double Dragon
You know when certain tracks bring out certain emotions in you, well this track is like a plane. A plane, glider, spacecraft, whatever.. it really helps to rise a level above the mundane. One of my favs.. its got so much feeling in it its scary. Doof uses this melody which is tingly and icy and creates a melody which is so good for so many different times. Massive track.

5. Sunshrine
We need to play this track in the middle east. Fcuk that, we need to blast this in every home, from Helsinki to Colombo. A warm, fuzzy track, begins with a playful, light bassline, and concentrates more on the wavy synths that propels u towards happiness. A beautiful track, so happy i feel like frolicking in acres of Sunflowers..

6. Secret Sun (Sunbeam Mix)
'Only the infinty of the depths of a man's mind can relate to our story'. And a nice story it is.. I could be quite content listenin to this track dancing away or sittin by the speakers sippin on some chai. Either way its smashing some pumpkins. A deeper sound in this track, and the melody is never really there, just drifts onwards. Doof has this knack of makin evrythin seem like "Oh happy day...". Mesmerising melodies and sweet acidic sounds merge to create this piece of the pie.

7. Angelina
An odd name in the bunch, sounds like a ode. This is tweak galore,, a real treat if ur already on cloud nine, this track will make u swing like a monkey from a tree. One of the best melodies ive EVER heard drops in halfway.. Doof refrains from exhausting this melody and switches it around at the right times , ultimately crashing it around ur system in the final moments. Trust me ... this track will leave u breathless. The best of the album.

8. Destination Bom
Whoa!!... ur greeted by this super old skool soundin melody. I find that a lotta his melodies have this operatic influence around them, a type of classical influence. This is full swing music, music to play when the crowd is up on the floor and screaming for more. Good track with a more israeli edge to it.

9. Star above parvati (Bijli Mahadev Mix)
Bust out those chillums and slip off those shoes, its time to rest with a comfortable finish with Bijli Mahadev. Doof uses more Indian ethnic oriented instruments. I kinda like to think that some hippies in Goa used to trip out to this sittin in their groups around a bonfire, when the cd came out. A more 'spiritually' inclined track, you can hear the soft 'ohms' gradually merge into a phat bassline. Marvelous ending, in fact i cud see myself openin my eyes to this track too. One of the few times a 10 min track seems too short.

.. Excellent cd, and a must have.
          ~*** You can tell By the way i use my walk, Im a woman's man, No time to Talk***~
scobbah
Kiriyama

Started Topics :  35
Posted : Dec 14, 2005 16:54
Great to see more classic reviews! Good work Karma Cola... This CD is one of my most precious in my collection. 'Lets Turn On' w/ Posford is marvelous...

Indeed a must have for anyone who appreciates timeless old psychedelic trance!           Aural transmissions from the deep forests of Sweden
www.dvsmrecords.org - 'Patterns II EP' by Silent Horror out now!
Surrender
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  506
Posted : Dec 14, 2005 19:16
one of my fav older cd's - great reviews youre putting up here mr. cola.           "On the other hand, you have different fingers."
http://myspace.com/gadimon
*Karma Cola*
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Dec 14, 2005 20:52
thanks .. Its more fun to review these classics than the stuff comin out nowadays.
          ~*** You can tell By the way i use my walk, Im a woman's man, No time to Talk***~
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Dec 15, 2005 00:06
Quote:

On 2005-12-14 20:52, *Karma Cola* wrote:
thanks .. Its more fun to review these classics than the stuff comin out nowadays.

I don't share that opinion and I've been in this scene since 1996. I like psytrance the way it is now. And the older releases had some stinkers as well. Never forget that.
Anyway, this is indeed a classic so it's not a stinker at all. Nice if you can get your hands on this, though it is really scarce nowadays.           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
*Karma Cola*
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Dec 15, 2005 00:16
Quote:

On 2005-12-14 20:52, *Karma Cola* wrote:
thanks .. Its more fun to review these <<***classics***>> than the stuff comin out nowadays.

Gopendragon
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  55
Posted : Dec 16, 2005 17:28
what a classical doofer review,oldies but goodys!!!
goatic trance forever!!!           ~~~~~~~namaskar~~~~~~~~~
After the End,a new Begining startS..
antic

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Dec 16, 2005 21:09
Quote:
Label: TIP Records (Saikosounds says Twisted Records? )

It was re-released on Twisted around 2000, but they fucked it up - there's a very annoying noise at the climax part of "Let's turn on" and at the beginning of "Mars needs women".

How lame of them

BTW, this is not the case of my copy - it was confirmed by other people. Also, it's not available any more, probably because of this.

Nevertheless, it's a blindingly good album, especially Youth of the Galaxy, Double Dragon, Angelina and Destination Bom...

I think I'm gonna play it right now!
Surrender
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  506
Posted : Dec 17, 2005 01:15
yes antic, i wrote once about it here:
http://forum.isratrance.com/viewtopic.php/topic/36418/forum/1
very annoying repeated occurance from twisted.
          "On the other hand, you have different fingers."
http://myspace.com/gadimon
joshua666daniel

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Dec 19, 2005 16:32
I picked up this CD for $1.
Now, it is priceless.           "When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be." - Lao Tzu
FrodOhm
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Dec 20, 2005 15:49
Oh man i havent listened to this for a while now, but after reading this review i might have to refresh myself!
This is one of my alltime favorite albums, double dragon, Angelina ,Mars needs Woman and so on are all true classics..
blupeter

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Dec 22, 2005 22:06
Lets turn on (the track) its just an anthem for me...
Psychedeliaaa 100%
YAT (vxzp violation)
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  35
Posted : Dec 23, 2005 15:57
I have this cd in my car and i'm always listening to it on the way back from parties...

an excellent masterpeice by doof
          Youth of the Galaxy...

The Time Has Come To Demand Your Freedom!!!

(Doof - Youth of the galaxy, 1996)
Morbidelic
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  56
Posted : Dec 23, 2005 17:45
Hoo Doof album remind me good memories and good vibes.

nostalgy is in the air.

fav : lets turn on

double dragoon

:sunshine: where are this ppl that with their power and spirit waked up the psytrance scene.

Respect.           Happy Happy,Joy Joy.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dj-Morbidelic/642401392473366
Greennun

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Dec 24, 2005 08:40
Karma cola this review brings back a lot of memories.Doof had some anthems which i loved.Youth of the galaxy and lets turn on are my favourites.
Respect & Thanks
boom
          "If Pac man had affected us as kids we'd be running around in dark rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music”.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - ** DOOF - Lets Turn On ( 1996) **

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance