Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Dark Nebula - 'Robotic Tongue' CD - (Digital Psionics 2004)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Dark Nebula - 'Robotic Tongue' CD - (Digital Psionics 2004)

tract
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Dec 9, 2004 06:29
Dark Nebula – Robotic Tongue CD
Digital Psionics 2004 DPSI 011
More info : http://www.digitalpsionics.com

This has been a long anticipated album for the lovers of futuristic dark psychedelia and finally it is here. With his recent collaborations on Psionic Earth with Scatterbrain, Dark Nebulas sound has evolved into a ferocious blend of guitars, hard beats and strong bass lines that smash dance floors apart without using cheesy samples common these days in night music. It is an educated and thoughtfully constructed body of work. I sense a technological evolution with this album since the release of The 8th Sphere and once you have heard it you will comprehend to the fullest. It is one hell of an album and the production is on par with other Digital Psionics releases equating to an extremely intense listening experience with a full range of frequencies that only original CD’s offer.

1.Bugz Me
2.Phenomonology
3.Fire Offering
4.Toxic Reality
5.Structural Failure
6.Sajuuk Khar
7.Hyperspace Core
8.Hordes of the Nebula
9.Sea of Turbulent Sound

1.Bugz Me Opening with a slurred sample describing the gas planet Geigan we slide deep into the world of Dark Nebula. A deep throbbing bass line punctuates the opening contrasted with some nice bongo percussion, the sound of a horse in the distance and a hollow, soulless laugh. A reasonably strong kick drum for Dark Nebula, it could have been stronger here but it works none the less as the guitar stabs and depth of the bass lines carries the weight. Some nice breaks with hard clean drops back to the kick alone makes this track work. It isn’t all doom here though, a very funny and often repeated sample of ’..does my voice annoy you…’ totally kills it.

2.Phenomonology This track blew me away, it sounds like Dark Nebula with a totally new studio. Compressed, full bodied kick drums, stuttered samples slurring ’…what’s in this stuff?… and tight, clean percussion make for a great second track. Excellent use of rising volume on some of the synth lines and very well constructed layers of sound that build up slowly to around the 1”30’ mark where the full metallic range is unleashed and this track soars with dark power. Around the 4”30’ mark there is some very interesting 1980’s sampling but I won’t spoil it, it works so very well and climbs into some incredible acid lines that scour your cerebellum. Absolute killah! track.

3.Fire Offering ’…I offer the emptiness for which you seek… and it is delivered. The activation of spacecraft control decks, electronic engagements as control panels jump to life. Dark metallic hollow FX and some nice pads. This is more traditional Dark Nebula with hallmark drums and bass linesbeggining the track that are then augmented by the FX over the top and the building synth stabs way down at the bottom of the scale. Some nice virtual acid lines also add to the power of the track making it more than acceptable. Very unusual arpeggio’d FX at the 4”40’ mark that do wonders for scrambling your brain with intensity.

4.Toxic Reality Dark, gloomy, Nebula. This is pure product with dark horns and ominous tones into a heavy pounding beat. Harsh, piercing digital static screams from left to right channel as the sound devours you. A woman’s voice through the chaos …materials… and then a virus synth opens up from left to right with different layers. This track has a quantum gravity that expands and contracts pushing and pulling it along with an intensity that shreds. Screaming miasmic drones at the 5”20’ mark add to the pressure as it climbs up then implodes throwing sound in all directions. I live for this!

5.Structural Failure Explosions and the last musings of an AI as a spacecraft prepares for collision. Thick layers of sound wash over you, dense layers of frequencies fly around while a dark, deep kick stomps ever present. Some really nice synth work here too that is unusual for Dark Nebula and some strong sample use again adding to the space travel feel and epic nature of the music. I would play this around dawn as it does build into a melodic excursion in parts but thankfully regresses into the darker parts of the spectrum, expanding laterally.

6.Sajuuk Khar A Phyx sounding liquid number with some nice soaring tones to open it up into a much more spacious and rolling bass and beat. Cruising female vocal sounds over the top and nice high pressure virus sounds over the top of the heavily percussive elements make for a very interesting dawn kind of track. The buildups of the sounds into scrolling FX aand the instrumental breaks and bass line drop in’s and outs work too. In many ways this reminds me of a dark, mutated space tribe with some of the instruments and FX but the sample of Vincent Price is pure gold. A superb track that is a pure -=smasher=-.

7.Hyperspace Core Another return to the more familiar Dark Nebula with track 7 that features a hollow kick and a wide, wobbling bass line and nice drums reminiscent of Carbon and other 8th Sphere excursions. I liked this a lot as it mixes easily with other tracks from Dark Nebula and has a rough edge to it. Some crazy, chattering voices can be heard over the top and they add to the frantic edge of the music accompanied by some nasty twisting soundscapes.

8.Hordes of the Nebula D A R K DA R K D A R K D A R K and so it begins. Possibly my favorite on the album this delivers the goods and destroys dancefloors. With instrumentation familiar to some of his side project tracks with Scatterbrain this is a blastah! . Climbing, crawling oscillators rear their nasty heads and I felt again propelled forwards into the contorted flux space. There is a slight double kick or overlap in the main kick drum of the track but when mixing it there was no evident problems and it doesn’t detract from the force of the music in any significant way. Dark Nebula has crafted a journey here and it is a very enjoyable trip indeed.

9.Sea of Turbulent Sound An old gramophone record crackles then is torn and a cutting male voice interrupts and the stomping begins. More 8th Sphere drums and distorted guitar stabs but the evolution is strong and refined. One of the hardest tracks on the album this is a fitting close and does not let up for a second. Some fairly muddy frequencies in parts but the samples are the best of any in the tracks so far. There is some somehow strangely familiar but new synth sounds in there that work well with the surrounding chaos that made me think different. Behold, your music!

10/10 Night-time psychedelic perfection.
          http://www.killahtea.com/

Underground Psychedelic Nightmusic
Shimmer
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  10
Posted : Dec 9, 2004 09:39
This is a great album...so get the feeling that he was recording this music in space...in the future...in a world of his own...these are some highly futuristic tunes and this is only a taste of what I expect will come!

Lovin' your work Richard!

_______________________________-______________________________
I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight... razor... and surviving.
orianer

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Dec 12, 2004 10:06
i really liked the 8th shpere.
did not like this album - at all.
waiting to hear some good stuff soon.
PEACE!!!!           PsYcHeDeLiC music!!!! -==-=--==
HaVe FuN - PeAcE!!

Mobile 0542388566
black_necro
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  11
Posted : Dec 13, 2004 18:55
One of the reasons I decided to go on Boom Festival this year was Dark Nebula listed in the line up. "The 8th Sphere" is one of my all time favorite albums therefore I wanted to experience this music properly. So there I was, about 4:00am, darkened morning everything prepared for those powerful guiter riffs, thunderous blasts mixed up with profound psychedelia.. after the 3rd track, abruptly I lost contact with the world as we know it. I found my self on an intergalactic voyage, in a damaged spaceship rushing towards oblivion, strangely I wasn't scared at all it felt so pleasant although I wasn't sure about my destiny. The void was everlasting.. after 15 minutes or maybe an hour for a nano second, somehow, I gained counciosnes and asked myself, what's this music, doesn't sound like Nebula.. but there he was the sci-psy creature with a misterious smile on his face, a smile which I understood and felt very deeply.
Since yesterday I'm listening "Robotic Tongue" over and over again, after the initial flash now it's continuing to grow on me, I consieder it an evolution in psychedelic music it goes beyond, surpassing today's standards if any...
Expect disorientation

P.S. tract.. great review dude!!

deadearth

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Dec 21, 2004 07:27
ahhh this album is fresh.
I love sajuuk khar.........

lukepsywalker
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  28
Posted : Dec 23, 2004 02:06
nice review dan , have been getting some great responce to this album . great work from dark nebula on this album . stay tuned ......... 'psionic circus' is coming ........
Shimmer
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  10
Posted : Dec 24, 2004 00:31
What can we expect on "psionic circus"? Any tastes?           _______________________________-______________________________
I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight... razor... and surviving.
psychedelic pineapples
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Dec 25, 2004 00:15
Amazing***,A mezmerising sonic tale . Its like the devil playing his fidle in his gothic castle, enchanting every species in its circumfrence
deadearth

Posted : Apr 4, 2005 08:55
Structural failure has turned into a classic tale.

for me anyway ( :
styx
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  23
Posted : Apr 5, 2005 02:02
nice one.. already on psyshop? how can i get it?

------------------------
http://www.transylvania-calling.com/line-up/styx-dj/
lukepsywalker
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  28
Posted : Apr 5, 2005 03:50
hey styx , album should be available from all good record shops
deadearth

Posted : Apr 7, 2005 08:48
yeah this Cd has been out a month or so i suppose
colon

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Apr 9, 2005 19:38
i think it's been released for half a year or so?

robotic tongue is one of the better cd's of 2004 for me, with dark nebula's typical touch of fantasy it's a nice deviation from all the aggressive/scary/psychotic dark psy out there
ori_k
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Sep 7, 2005 17:29
this is really killa stuff
dark nebula sound is so unique&intense
i love this album so much...it is as if it was recorded in the future...perhaps this is what psytrance will sound like years from now =)
just wonder where does thjis guy get the inspiration for these tracks? its not like the russian crappy dark...its really inspired!
eran m

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Sep 7, 2005 18:16
dark nebula is one of my favorits....
sure thing its akillaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Dark Nebula - 'Robotic Tongue' CD - (Digital Psionics 2004)

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance