Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - BRETHREN -- Legend of Cane [Nexus Media 2006]

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

BRETHREN -- Legend of Cane [Nexus Media 2006]

bluespectralmonkey
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  80
Posted : Mar 23, 2006 15:03
BRETHREN
Legend of Cane
[Nexus Media 2006]

"Brethren are Brothers in DanceFloor Destruction. This album is the electrifying collaboration between siblings Phyx and Tickets. The Summs boys deliver a dynamite package of serious power and a delicate musical touch; and combined with the mastering of the Artifakt™ it’s an awesome listening and dancefloor experience. This is the 3rd installment in the NeXuS MeDiA Twilight Series, following on from the Source V/A and the recent Pitch Hikers Album.

Evolve your listening with Brethren and The Legend of Cane"

after 4 strong releases on compilations: firewall, mass distraction, midnight storm, and wildspirits strongmedicine (which represent the some of the main forces in south african psytrance) these two brothers create an undeniably powerful and unique sound! Something about the title makes me think this may have been a reggae album in a previous life... but definitely not anymore, check it out!

1. the infidel
2. neo cells
3. mayhem
4. wolf part II
5. peking duck
6. cold fusion rmx
7. russian roulette
8. odyssey
9. shaka
10. ascendancy

1. a nice rolly hardprog tune unravels as it goes, bouncy as all get. phyx leads the drive here as things become a step more rolly and ravin'! single stabby notes punctuate a grooving underbelly and several layers make for a full sounding choonbeast. theres a playful edge to it, the last blast has all the eq lights working fully, the lead arpeggio done up right with a touch of sizzle, and building to a fine crescendo.

2. "oh my god whats the matter, who are you!?", "1,507 systems..." samples seem a bit hasty, but overlooking those first minute quirks, the tune does nicely to work itself into a bit of a frenzy tho staying firmly in the same category as the last. perhaps a bit more groove in the lead early on, developing further into a shred of acid twistedness. nice. but, then the sample comes back to stop the building dance. they quickly kick back off hardstyle tho throwing a heavylead over the top of the project. "this computer virus" visits for a second, and the "systems" come back a couple more times. the acidswingin tune is just enough to keep me interested despite the samples that seem unrelated and distracting.

3. "the first 5 minutes nobodys gonna have a clue whats going on" -- "try to stay relaxed..." a deeper approach on this one from the start. "dont do any thing to draw attention to yourself..." slightly metallic edge, crisp percussion, and then it just drops us tingling into a great lead, all at once sizzly and uplifting. a tasty combination of sound, just the right amount of distortion... round halfway point it shifts a bit, getting deeper and more dancy in my ears. adding some high accent notes make for a brief epic feel, very nice.

4. this one comes off from the jump as a bit more of a morning track, hints of bouncing funk and horny stabs, winding up a grip so tight. driving pounding zipping accents and a few yahoos in there also. as things get more sizzly, the rotating floor starts getting slippery also, your feet sliding on warm and warbling texture. everything turns into a bigroom reverb before the lead comes to restructure and the whole upward envelopment thing happens, where all of a sudden youre back in the thick of it. only now its got a shred more aggression. one more trick and we get another bit on which to chew before it deepens to fade. theres one arpeggio thats perhaps a bit repetitive, but fully actualized nonetheless.

5. "sending you to kansas, wichitaw...you are the next courier" the theme is set as a little sad tune shows you the feeling of the tale that is about to be told. as we go deeper, bring your snorkel. the almost menacing climbing filtersweeps bring us down into a groove, with a few well tuned stabs playing thier part to set the pace. your robotic octo-duck tourguide shows you the depts of "the vault". its octo-beak chirping away. i can see it now.... the little sad song comes back and the throb begins again. back to driving the submarine, phosphorescent jellyfish twirl you in thier long tentacles, and silvery fish jet past, racing the waves in an epic journey that aims you straight into the setting sun. you can still hear the ol' octa-duck in the distance...

6. again a deep pump starts us off, nicely in the thick of it. "youre oll going to die down here" a girl says, catches me offguard every time. very recognizeable sounding themes from these artists resonate thier style powerfully. it spaces out to a slowdown build, with streaky fx showing you how fast youre about to go... the elevator goes up and up, youre looking out the windows wondering wtf? and off you go!! wait, no, it catches a couple times before it stops completely, perhaps a bit too dramatic? gotta build it back from just a couple notes again... when it does come back after a full minute plus, its got a great lifting power, and you start to lift off again, thru the clouds, triumphant and proud. and dancing into the day.

7. have you ever tried wobble crispy? yeah, thats what im talkin about...its the new style. plenty of nutrition to keep you going. vitamins and all that, spirulina even. your mitochondria get funky. but wait, its down on the sly... "whats this chicken scratch? its cuneiform, its about 4000 years old... "blah blah "survive?" after that, its still undercover, but yeah, we got the goods. "its cuneiform, its about 4000 years old, old old.." well i guess they had it figured out. just the right amount of digital edge, metallic circuitry forming organized forms independently, youre driving thru tunnels that are being built before you, and youre told, again, "its about 4000 years old, old old.." this tune allllmost had me! but something about that sample made me skip this one every time while waiting at trafficlights.

8. now this is the one i kept going back to while listening to this cd in my car for a week... the deep night, driving, lights going past... spiralling outward from a centerpoint, and adding warmth that moves the arms-- extensions of the heart, vibrating, emotion flows but comfortably, that feeling that the music is supporting you on your journey. a bit of tasteful grindy crunch in there after the first movement, the machine calls to us. then the Music comes back, that Muuuusic. sweet and deep keyshift rolling bassline that just throbs, the kind you want to hear from over the field as you approach the dancefloor. when you get there, the melody starts to blow wind up your shorts, and everything falls into place, smiles flow, and your fingers and toes flicking pumping multicolored waves of joy out. the over the top winner on this disc, there's just something about it.

9. i feel like im running out of ways to say: stabby uplift rolly jammer... having a hard time with this one, its a bit more ravey than my fingers know what to type. there's just something about it... strangely familiar,and while functional, theres perhaps better. maybe someone else will lose marbles to this, but i yearn more for whatever that something was about the epic bounce of the last tune. but i gotta say, brother, see for yourself...

10. slowing it down a notch, and "regret never, temptation always, this is the essence of consciousness..." add 2 pinches of glitch, and then go deeper. clappin it, and grooving with a subdued microacid swing. spacing out for another buildup, this one with a bit more openness on the top, sounds finding thier niche, and spacing out again. "the choice between good and evil which is the essence of temptation..." the final arpeggirun phasing your stereo as the groove builds underneath. with a bit of tasty grindistortion to finish us off.

After hearing this what must have been 10 times so far, parts of it grab me and spin my brain, other parts sound like they were trying hard to act more like the juice. theres moments of brilliance in every track and a few just rule it completely. the brothers have definitely found an enjoyable middleground to create jams, perhaps with a result that they didnt take too many risks stylistically. a solid first release, maybe further exploration will show a shred more diversity?

favorites: 3, 5, 8!, 10

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/nex/nex1cd007.html
http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=5542
http://www.nexus-media.co.za/

www.bluespectralmonkey.com
www.touchsamadhi.com
www.interchill.com
www.metacrew.com
www.nw-psy.com
lokus
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Mar 23, 2006 15:08
interesting review monkey
i will get my copy tomorrow i hope...
this is one of the few nighttime releases im looking forward to atm...
lets see if its worth the money
          - last possible solution
- trick music
- ambivalent records
myspace.com/lokuz

ps: y trance?
Zion Llinguist - MMD Rec.
Zion Linguist

Posted : Mar 24, 2006 15:16
Killer Album Guy's

Huge up t Ian and Joseph....

Fav tracks...tracks 6,7

Awesome, looking forward t hearing more.

Peace
Electrip
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  16
Posted : Mar 24, 2006 23:25
tf... it's an OK album, but it's not SA at ALL, very unrefreshing
Perma Fry
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  56
Posted : Mar 25, 2006 07:19
Quote:

On 2006-03-24 23:25, Electrip wrote:
tf... it's an OK album, but it's not SA at ALL, very unrefreshing

are u seriuos man !

mind job on this album the brothers have gone crazy with the bass changes and some insane synth work
A Faa**rkin insane release thoroughly enjoyable
Ill still hear this when Im 4000 years old

rgds,

katam
Abomination

Started Topics :  17
Posted : Mar 25, 2006 09:29
Ian and joseph have come up with an incredible album thats is groovy and aggressive, Its 100% south african psytrance at its best...
fav tracks
3, 6, 7, 8...
go get it
slug
Slug

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Mar 26, 2006 08:55
I agree this is definitely not the standard usual type of "South African trance" that ppl may expect, its far more subtle than that, and for me track 8 is definitely the best for the DJs, works great in every set!!
sketi

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Mar 27, 2006 04:59
yes! i love this cd! I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!!!
lokus
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Mar 27, 2006 09:37
i was looking forward to the album cause i dont like much the new overdone sa music
like the new twisted system album and from what i had heard from the saikosound samples
"legend of cane" would be better for me.
last friday i got my copy and i listened to it several times but i have to say:
its boring
maybe im not really into the album yet but now its boring.
Quote:

On 2006-03-26 08:55, slug wrote:
...its far more subtle than that...

the album is very well produced and basslines are rocking but thats not enough.
imo the melodies and sounds are sometimes a bit "cheap" so for me they only try to be sutble.
making rocking subtle nighttime music is VERY hard and i hope they will improve.
nevertheless it will work on the dancefloor
and i wish the brethren guys all the best for the future.
best track for me on the album is "peking duck" (also great name)

peace           - last possible solution
- trick music
- ambivalent records
myspace.com/lokuz

ps: y trance?
shift
Shift

Started Topics :  38
Posted : Mar 27, 2006 14:40
hello

we at nexus media are very interested in all your views on our releases,, and we appreciate both the enthusiasm and the dissatisfaction

however there is a misconception that everythig we release is suposed to be "nightime" music

this is most definately not the case..

the focus is more on the early morning sound,, twilight music,, 5-8 am and a little bit either side

(this exculdues of course the midnight storm series)

so to Lokus,, thankyou for your comments,, sorry its not what u wanted,, hopefully it grows a bit more on you, and if u are inetersted in night music then wait for midnight storm 2, because the focus with most of our other stuff is less intense and more melodic than ur probably looking for

thanks anyway,, and have a nice day
HanBaal

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Mar 29, 2006 04:17
Finally got my hands on this! All I have to say is ... COME TO PORTUGAL BRETHREN ! Nah lol, I'll say more...

This cd 'really' starts at track3. Mayhem is a very powerful nightish track where i only edit a tiny part (when recording it to my car audio minidiscs). The part I'm talking about is that repetitive voice sample "mayhem" between 6.10 and 6.37 approximately. I liked the first "mayhem" sample and the other voice samples ones but this one annoys me somehow and feels out of place. Overly repetitive voice samples aren't my thing though I like a lot talking voice samples and this track has some great ones. The rest of the track bombs A LOT!

Track 5 is the next great track. Masterpiece twilight stuff. The intro melody might be a bit sad but it is very nice to my ears. Really addictive. When suddenly, after that intro melody once again, at 4.14 .... something that is gonna stay for ever in my all time favs.... from the bottom of my heart GO LISTEN TO IT!!! It was due to this spirituality AND energy that I got in to the trance scene in '96 at my young 16. As a prove of my love for this stuff I duplicated the 3.17-6.14 part at 6.14, in my minidisc, transforming it into an almost 9 min track ! Only edited out the 2.52-3.17 part. Wasn't bad but not good enough for the rest of this masterpiece

Track 6 has to be one of the best remixes ever and also one of the greatest tracks ever made! It has lots of power, diversity, beatiful happy melodies, beautiful spookie melodies, wicked samples.... monster track! It has nothing to do with earlier mr.Phyx's original track! At 1.20 it gets so funky and happy! And at 1.42 "You all going to die down here" AHAHAH best sample ever ! From there on the mindbreaking melodies, the breaks, the samples... GAH! Lots of variations and at the same time so perfectly coordinated!!! I so fkin love it! Best track overall in the whole cd! Outstanding job Brethren!!!

Track 7 has one heck of an addictive melody. I edit out the first couple of minutes of this track (nothing special) and start immediately at 2.48 where that mindbreaking melody starts. Perfect bassline comes in at 4.05. Not much words to describe the immersion I get into while listening to this masterpiece. As psychoanalysis rightly said, i'll still hear this stuff when I'm "4000 years old" ! ehehe great sample indeed for this track. For those who don't know the "4000 years old cuneiform chicken's scratch" is very probably the summerian early pioneering writings that had around 500 symbols though. The first alphabet of 22 letters, from where all others evolved from, came with the phoenicians significantly later (HanBaal Barca, my namesake, the greatest general ever, was a carthaginian-phoenician ).

Track 8 is the last special one to me. Darker intro and then a powerful bassline comes in. A decent melody joins soon and the pace gets more and more dense. At 3.03 the real stuff imo gets on. Here, some awesome darker melodies and the powerful bassline totally transform this track. Now this is the darker trance I like, not that nonmelodic, discoordinated, deprived of any musicality stuff people nowadays label as 'dark trance'. In this track I only dislike the last melody so I cut it off (6.34-7-54). I didn't cut the initial 3 minutes coz the track would get too small and they aren't that bad..they're quite cool as an intro for what is to come actually

Concluding, all tracks have their place, including the slowest ending track. I like ALL tracks (very very very rare) to a certain degree being those I mentioned the 'great ones'

Favs: 1, end of 2(!!), 3(!!!), 4, 5(!!!!), 6(!!!!), 7(2.48on!!!!), 8(!!!), 9, 10(!,downtempo)

Alongside Twisted System and Pitch Hikers this is the best album of this year to me. South African psytrance is totally owning!:D

About this being nightish/twilight/morning or not I want to say this is pretty nightish to me with the exception of start-mid of track 2, track 10 and some intros (normal here). I agree with Shift though that this can very well go into the twilight 5-8am zone too and probably better... though I can listen and jump to these masterpieces any time of the day/night/whateva ! Keep it up Brethren!

b m!
raider
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  22
Posted : Mar 29, 2006 13:18
I liked Neo Cells, but the rest seemed like fast-made repeats.
          LABEL-DJ @ 3D VISION RECORDINGS | www.myspace.com/djraider | www.myspace.com/3dvisionrecordings
Trance2MoveU
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  50
Posted : Mar 29, 2006 19:08
Brethren
Legend of Cane
Nexus Media

Time to throw my hat into the ring and give a review. This album is by two of my favorite artists that also happen to be brothers. Phyx and Tickets- brothers in arms! The picture on the CD case evokes a Jeckyll and Hyde feeling, reminiscent of the character from Marvel comics. Remember him? He was cool! It is released by Nexus Media so I expect a full-on psy beatdown of behemothian proportions. Here we go....

1. The Infidel This track starts with a simple high-pitched melody joined by a rumbling bassline. Wow, that kick is heavy, like some one kicked me in the chest! We are moving from the 1'45" mark to a break a minute later. Short lived however and a new, more diabolic melody lurks and creeps around my conciousness. After a thorough pounding, the original melody returns and brings a hustling synthline. Nothing groundbreaking but a pretty good start. Powerful track. 7.5/10

2. Neo Cells "what's the matter....Ohmigod!...Who are you?"

Spooky sounds bring us right to a thunderous kick and bassline(oww....my...heart). A tweaked melody snakes along and my head is bobbing. The sample returns in a breif break and then at 4'35" add syhnth/basslin/kick/hi-hat and you have a MOVER!!! Did someone get the # of that truck? Taste that...? that's the sticky sweet smell of acid broiling your esophagus! I'm twirling now, the pressure is rising and just like that it cuts me off. Banger! The sample clinched it for me. 8.5/10

3. Mayhem British sample from some movie I don't recall and we are re-introduced to the bludgeoning kick and bassline combo. A short synthline weaves in and out, carrying me nicely to groove heaven. Smatterings of acid splatter my face right to the break, evolving into another sinister twist. Another powerful track with swirling high tones at the 5'50" mark giving just enough variability. I could've done with out the repetitive "mayhem" but it's short lived thankfully. 8/10

4. Wolf Part II Continuing the Wolf tradition from the Firewall V/A, we start with a french sample that has a more bouncy feel to it. The bassline starts running with a quirky sound interjecting. With a break at 3'50" that never really slows down, a nice warm melody is brought to my ears. Pure power with not a lot of rest. At 5'08" we get more synth lines and are at Ludicrous Speed Nice track! 7/10

5. Peking Duck "Were sending you to Kansas...Wichita. It's almost over Morgan. After this trip to the vault, wour work for us will be finished." Fat kick with a straight ahead bassline that has sounds from what I think are the movie Event Horizon. Love that flick! But that's just me. The soft flowing melody that gesticulated beneath the sample comes back and it brought company. Intense company!! Ohhh....shit! That synth line is in full pursuit. I go left, right, around the corner...but it finds me. It continues to thicken like the fluid in my lungs. In a raspy voice, I demand my need for air... I am lost amidst a sea of psy and rhythm and I do not want to come back. Waiter, I'll have the duck. 9/10

6. Cold Fusion rmx "You're all going to die down here" What is that from? Hey guess what, another damaging kick and bassline. Whou knew? I detect a spooky melody above the maddness letting me know there is no escape. At the 2'55" mark the tempo changs, sort of becomes mid-tempo, wading into a small acid pool. Shortly it recovers its natural speed, and a new ominous melody makes its presence felt; daring me into the open. Faster than Emeril can say BAM!!!! we are in motion! This track took a while to get going, but it grew on me. 7.5/10

7. Russian Roulette "What is this chicken scratch? It's cuneiform. It's about 4,000 years old. So why here? Because this is the cradle of civilization." Psy greets a staccato bassline and develops quickly into a nice groove. Acid...acid. I got it on me. Then a nice quiet sinister break. Desolate, nicely done! A simple melody dominates, taking us back to the bassline. At the 4'35" mark the bassline and the synth line are in sync, permeated in psy. Pretty good track, but it was the isolating feeling of the break that makes it for me. 7/10

8. Odyssey Soothing pad and then right back to the kick/bassline. I like how it shifts and carries the whole track. Sweet melody brings us to a squelchy metallic chopping. All this underneath the absolutely punishing bassline. I've noticed how these guys like to match the bassline to the melody at times. The modulated lead adds a different touch. But wait..I can feel something bubbling under the surface. The ground shakes, as the lead twists, evolves, takes shape. This is power in movement. There is a lot going on, but it all fits. Definitely not too many notes. 7.5/10

9. Shaka Rumbling, driving bassline with a nice glassy melody that makes me poner. Why are we here? But my reverie is cut short. It cannot hold back the tide of blessed acid. And at the 3'30" mark I am overwhelmed. That melody is the only lifeline I have...taking on too much....then..what? The break switches directions and I am not too fond of it.. It started with promise, but just didn't develop for me. I could pass on this one. Still a mover however. 6/10

10. Ascendancy I think this is the slowest track, but by no means chill. The bassline takes control as usual, and I have that marching with authority feeling. This is trance per se, more techno I guess, with some trance elements. I applaud them for trying something different, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. 5/10

Conclusion: If you are familiar with these artists, you know what you are gonna get: plenty of power and sinister melodies giving you a satisfying dark experience. Asid from the last track, all are movers that can bring it to the dance floor. I hope they continue this project as I believe it has lots of potential 8/10

Mdk
fullom
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Mar 30, 2006 04:43
You would be silly to dismiss this particularly if you are a fan of Nexus Media and the South African sound in general.
Not as relentless as some of the stuff being released from that region but this is as Shift said cutting edge morning music south african style with nice trancey peaks. out of the 25 new cds I just bought this one is taking the cake!           (`*•.¸(`*•.¸ ¸.•*´)¸.•*´)
FULL-OM PSYCHEDELIC TRANCE
(¸.•*´(¸.•*´ `*•.¸)`*•.¸)
Tundra
Hydraglyph

Started Topics :  11
Posted : Apr 8, 2006 20:31
Fucking tight album guys           A beer in the hand is worth 2 in the fridge
www.myspace.com/hydraglyph
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - BRETHREN -- Legend of Cane [Nexus Media 2006]

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance