Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Zion Linguist - Subliminal Message (c) 2007 (MMD Records)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Zion Linguist - Subliminal Message (c) 2007 (MMD Records)

Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Apr 27, 2007 16:04
Artist: Zion Linguist
Album: Subliminal Message
Label: MMD (Mind Manipulation Device) Records
Released: January 2007
Cover: http://212.227.206.198/cgi-bin/zoom.cgi?mmd1cd003_b.jpg:CDs/mmd/mmd1cd003.html:;
http://www.juno.co.uk/covers/252124-01-back.htm

Tracklist:

1. Code 54.5
2. Subliminal Message
3. Primal
4. Speaker Creature
5. Masquerade rmx
6. Send The Virus
7. The Return
8. Head Trauma
9. Pack Track

The promotext (from psyshop):
Subliminal Messages from Zion linguist, showcases a spectrum of varied emotions and soundscapes.

With his trademark tech-like style, which is sure to build some dust and get the fists in the air on any dance floor!

The album begins, with a groovy feel, and slowly opens the doors to a more dark and sinister perception of reality, getting inside your head and broadcastings its message, etching into your subconscious and leaving u screaming for more!

Let his Subliminal beats get inside your head!

Ahem. Those promo's always sound so corny to me. Anyway, here's my review.

Track 1: We start off with Code 54.5 which has some dark atmospherics in the beginning and quickly turns into a quirky, scratchy song with quite a simple melody in it. The bassline is pretty standard for this kind of music but as an opener it serves it purpose quite well. It gets you in the mood for more of this stuff. Nice work on the snares here, over the course of the album you'll notice the Linguist using them pretty often.

Track 2: Onward then with the title track. Almost starts off immediately with a kick and bassline which is a bit more massive then before. Snares come in again and that kinda scratchy sound he likes to use. An eerie kind of padsound comes in and some muffled samples. Subliminal this is, although there is little subtleness in the sharp edge of this song, hehehe. Anyway, I like this one.

Track 3: Starts off with a sample, a kickdrum with bassline comes in, again the snares after that. Standard buildup for The Linguist so it seems. Gets into a good flow near the 4 minute mark. Nothing too fancy though, just some solid acidic sounds here. A good track.

Track 4: Starts off with some sample again, a bassdrum and bassline quickly come in. And... surprise, surprise... some more snares. Oh well, here we go again then. Almost the same buildup as the former tracks, but somehow it still manages to grab me. At around 1:50 he starts to play around with what sounds like C64 sounds, hehehe. Nice touch. A dark pad comes in again and this track just proceeds from there with some breaks, a fairly big one with some following melody that reminds me of the Gremlins 2 videogame music on the C64 until you reach the end. Good track.

Track 5: Dark atmospheric beginning, filtered bassline & bassdrum and bam, we're off again. A different buildup in this track, although not by much, but enough to sound a little different from the rest. A remix from the track that was released on the Erratic Distortion compilation. What's different you ask me? Well, not that much really. Somehow the compilation version has a slightly darker feel to it and the Remix is a bit shorter. Anyway, a good track and no mistake. Good building towards the end and a nice dark atmosphere throughout.

Track 6: Starts off immediately. Snares, bassline, kickdrum, those kinda scratchy sounds again. Yup, this is a Zion Linguist track alright. Anyway, pretty standard fare for him, not as pronounced as the track before. In sound it's a lot like track 1. Nothing really special but not bad either.

Track 7: Starts off immediately yet again. More dark minded and has some nice eerie pads in it once more. This one builds up to a nice rougher and more psychedelic exit than most of the tracks here though. One of the best tracks IMO.

Track 8: Atmospheric intro, nice darker bassline and kick, yeah I'm liking this. This is one of those tracks that instantly gets my foot tapping. Great acids and leads in this one too. Has a darker feel to it than most tracks on the album. In style it's more like track 5, the Masquerade Remix. Gets wilder near the end again. Great track.

Track 9: And the closing track is more of a playful one. It features part of the old Mario Brothers soundtrack but in acidic form. Quite a nice track, even though the melody is a bit corny ofcourse.

Overall: Well, if there's one word I'd have to sum this up with I' say it's: Ok. Not great, not super, not bad, not sucky, just ok. There are some good tracks here and some ok tracks. No bad tracks. It's just that there is a lot of this kind of music out there and between monsters like the Multistate release or something like Twisted System or Slug and Shift, this one just falls a little short. Still, for a debut this is pretty solid and if you like the style and are akin' for some more of this kind of music you should give it a chance. Top marks for the artwork, that's a great theme and it suits the music well. Overall a 7,5/10 from me.

Listen to samples here:
http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/mmd/mmd1cd003.html
http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=6305           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
Sunai

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Apr 27, 2007 22:32
Nice review,nice album!
Perma Fry
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  56
Posted : Apr 28, 2007 12:40
real nice review for a really good artist
Love listening the whole album over and over

love the title track man its the eye-candy of this album
Kudos to Zion Linguist for a smashing release

THE-ORACLE
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  19
Posted : Apr 30, 2007 00:44
Smashing album!
It's blasting dancefloor twilight music! Full Power S.Africa!

Great job Zion L.
Can't wait to hear more from you and see you again in Israel           Bzzzzzzzzzzzzz.........
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : May 3, 2007 17:44
After several more listens this gets upgraded to an 8/10 because it grew on me more and some of the songs really manage to stick themselves inside my head Nice album.           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

Zion Llinguist - MMD Rec.
Zion Linguist

Started Topics :  12
Posted : May 7, 2007 13:07
Yo acidhive .. thanx for the review man & the upgrade, hehe

Just got a track released on a new cape town based label called one foot groove rec. take a look :

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=6458

A review from u for this one would be gooooood !

PEACE !           http://www.myspace.com/zionlinguist
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : May 8, 2007 13:07
Quote:

On 2007-05-07 13:07, Zion Llinguist - MMD Rec. wrote:
Yo acidhive .. thanx for the review man & the upgrade, hehe

Just got a track released on a new cape town based label called one foot groove rec. take a look :

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=6458

A review from u for this one would be gooooood !

PEACE !

Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can get my hands on that release. Expect a review soon           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

mudpeople
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  113
Posted : May 8, 2007 19:25
Dig this one! It may sound like other SA stuff out there to some, but to me it seems a little different. The basses stick out as a bit different than many, not the solid-plastic bass sound like Slug et al, more like there's a flanger or something adding a little bit of... something...

Great CD, came highly recommended from trusted sources! And I sure wasn't disappointed. SUre to make it into some SA-style sets in the future!

idka
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  24
Posted : Jun 1, 2007 09:11
GR8 1 Zion Llinguist!!           www.myspace.com/metaverse1800
leandromorales
Demonizz/Duophonix

Started Topics :  16
Posted : Jun 1, 2007 23:24
Nice review
good music           ========= DemonizZ and DuoPhonix =========

----www.demonizz.com----
www.myspace.com/demonizz
------------------------------------------
Ormion
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  38
Posted : Jun 4, 2007 01:29
I can't find a reason not to like this album.

Pumping bass, groovy but powerful melodies, teachno and trance together, morning and dark. Perfect balance. All tracks are great but Head Trauma is the best!

Awesome! 9/10
NoiseAnoMAlie
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  24
Posted : Jun 6, 2007 21:18
this is a wicked cd... what i have heard i needs to get me a copy...
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Zion Linguist - Subliminal Message (c) 2007 (MMD Records)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance