Trance Forum » » Forum  DJing - where do i start
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

where do i start

PSYDUDE
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  54
Posted : Aug 7, 2011 08:18:05
ok im just starting with hole djing so i have traktor pro 2 i need any help im a tottal noob so tutorials and tips please help
V3NOM
Inactive User

Started Topics :  131
Posted : Aug 7, 2011 08:32
1. Listen to all your music that you will play heaps until the point you have a pretty clear idea of where they might fit together.

2. Get some gear cheap (secondhand) or some software demo's or download & have a go.

3. If you like it then the big step is learning to beat match. It's not hard, if you know your tunes well then it's just a matter of getting the tempo right and then dropping each track in on time. Like riding a bike, once you get it you won't forget. I remember the first time I figured out out how to beat match properly and I was like "Oh damn that's actually really simple". Especially with 4x4 music. Even broken beat or DnB is pretty easy, the only music I ever had much trouble mixing was old school jungle.

Off topic, but I always find it amazing when I hear a DJ playing and cannot beat match properly. It's really REALLY easy!!

Once you get basic down then you can work on how to build up a set using the breaks and climaxes to take the crowd on a crazy ride

Digital is lots of fun IMHO as you can you use sampling and lots of other stuff. I'm just getting into the digital movement, but I have some mates in the progressive techno/house scene who have used Ableton & Traktor on stage to do sets of amazing layered sampled tracks. I saw one last night, layering it all up on the fly, and at one point he had 30 samples from different tracks all going together at the same time making something completely new, but because they were all well known tracks the crowd was going nuts. Anyway, he has a natural talent at age 18 for this stuff. Blows me away what some of them can do!!           I hate you, you hate me, we are all so hap hap happy!
PSYDUDE
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Aug 7, 2011 15:03
thanks for the help
psyraal
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Aug 8, 2011 00:14
Quote:

On 2011-08-07 08:18:05, PSYDUDE wrote:
ok im just starting with hole djing so i have traktor pro 2

Learn how to mess with it and practice, practice, practice.

Good luck.

http://soundcloud.com/psyraal
psyciks
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  11
Posted : Sep 7, 2011 14:14
my friend by 2 cdjs if you can afort it and practice. beatmaching is not so dificult and not show easy because ok you beatmach your tracks and then you starting to mixing you have to make it slow and nice show no one can undertsant that you are playing the next track have do be smooth and also you have to play with your low high midle filters when you re mixing also you can mix realy quick sometimes is funny and gives a good punch on the dancefloor but my most important advice is by cdjs if you will learn them y will be able to make superb sets

DROP @CID NOT BOMBS
Dennis the menace

Started Topics :  128
Posted : Sep 8, 2011 07:26
Enjoy

J
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  193
Posted : Sep 8, 2011 15:11
^
supergroover
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  39
Posted : Sep 8, 2011 23:05

soundcloud.com/supergroover
mudpeople
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  113
Posted : Sep 9, 2011 00:57
I learned to match beats 8 hrs after I got my CDJ setup.

But now I use Live so I dont have to

To start with, well... Rock out! play around, mess with ideas, listen to other djs mixes and get ideas, just get the feel for your chosen utility, sooner or later you're going to find what does what, and what things you like the sound of, and thats your style Starting out you really ought to not worry about, well, anything except your eardrums You're not going to be playing any parties for a while, so you might as well just have fun and enjoy the music It all fell into place for me eventually, Im sure if you really are serious, or serious about having fun playing music, you'll get it soon enough. Then you cna be like us, standing to the side of teh dancefloor, arms crossed, shaking your head at the fool onstage trainwrecking (we scoff to try and banish the memory of all the times we screwed up, we all do, and will, no matter how good you are, there will be mistakes, laugh and pump your fist like its intentional)

Once youre familiar with how to use the program though you can begin fine-tuning your EQing and start trying fancy stuff. As far as fancy stuff, less is more, try not to mess with the tracks so much that the flow is broken. Im sure youlll figure it out, its pretty obvious Once you get used to it

Have fun and dont take it seriously           .
PSYDUDE
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Sep 15, 2011 19:26
Quote:

On 2011-09-08 07:26, Dennis the menace wrote:
Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOAl-lgnS8w

hehehe 1,4,7,8,4,1

Thanks for all your tips guys
Luca@BlueHourSounds
IsraTrance Junior Member