First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Interview with Sub6

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Oct 27, 2003 14:43
Infected Mushroom is spinning again in Denmark The 8th of November. The other main act is Sub6, an Israeli duo, with the two Brothers Ohad and Golan.

They have been one of the hottest acts on the Israeli scene since the release of “To Experience” on Full On vol. 6 last spring, and after a few releases HOMmega signed them for the release of their debut album.

I made an interview with them for the Danish site Trancetunnel.dk, and I thought I’d share it with you.

Can you start telling something about yourself? Names, ages, location, occupation?Our names are Ohad Aharoni(22) and Golan Aharony(29). We live and work in a small city called Herzlia. It’s in the center of Israel, close to Tel Aviv. Music production is our only occupation at the moment.

How and when did you discover psychedelic trance?
Golan: Well, I discovered psychedelic trance in 91' or 92'. A friend gave me a tape with some strange music...but I really started to like it after I heard it in parties.

For how long have you been producing music?
Golan : We have produced electronic music for 3 years now. Before that we had a rock band. Ohad is a guitarist and a Professional drummer and I am a bass player myself.
Ohad : Except for sub6 we are still doing it, but not as a band, that’s a side project with songs in Hebrew, kind of old school electronic.

I know that you are brothers, a pretty rare combination in the psytrance scene. When did you start making music together?
We started to play together in a band in 95', and we started to make psy-trance together in 99'.

Why the name Sub 6?
Sub6 - well, it was a technical joke from the world of sound ...nothing really interesting, but we sure like the way it sounds...

What equipment do you have in your studio?
NOVATION SUPERNOVA
KORG MS-2000
KORG EA-1
ROLAND MP600
ROLAND SP-808
TASCAM M-2524 CONSOLELEXICON LXP15
BEHRINGER INTELLIGATE
DRAWMER punchgate MX40
AKG C4000b MIC
TLAudio5051 valve processor
ROLAND RSM90 MONITORS
DYNAUDIO BM15 MONITORS
2xPC AMD 2.4
MOTU 2408-mk3
MOTU 2408-mk2
MOTU midi FASTLANE
CUBASE SX+VST PLUGINS

Which of your own tracks do you like the best?
Golan : "On the ground".
Ohad : "Droid save the queen" both new, will be in the album.

I've heard people call your style a lot of things, from full on, to progressive to minimal and even a new word, "smart psy" - how would you describe your own music?
Ohad : I think every song is really different from others, but after they all come out together in one album, it will be easier to define it.
Golan : it's very hard for me to describe it...I can't.

What are the main influences for your music? and what are your favourite groups/albums?
Golan : we are influenced from all kinds of music and it changes every day. Right now it's Leftfield, Massive attack, Quirk, Juvenile, GMS, Panick, Domestic and always a lot of Israeli Hebrew artists. But as I said, tomorrow it can be totally different.

How much time do you spend in your studio for each track?
It changes from track to track...it can be one week or 6 weeks.

What do you want to accomplish with your music. Is it something spiritual or magical for you, or do you just want to give people a good time on the dancefloor?
Golan : basically I do it because I love it. I also want ppl to get positive vibe from it!

So far, what is your best/worst party?
Golan : I think our best party so far was in brazil - "Solaris dance festival" in march this year - really amazing party. We also played in Belgium last month in "Israelian cave expedition". That was a real crazy one. We also played in a lot of bad parties...can't tell which one was the worst.

You've already worked with Pixel, and as far as I know you've remixed a track by PsySex. Is there any other artists you'd like to work with in the future?
Golan : most interesting for me is if i could just sit and watch big-time artists out of the trance music like N.E.R.D, Prodigy, Letfield, Air.

Can you tell something about your future releases? I've heard you're working on an album, when will that be out?
Our next release is Sub6 & Michelle Adamson - "Ra'he'ya" (VA - "B-trance", Hommega)
Psysex - "Survival kit - Sub6 rmx"(VA - "Full-on 7", Hommega).
Sub6 & Pixel - "Navigate into"(VA - "Tweakers", Spun rec.).
We are now finishing our 1st album "Who needs love songs?” It is expected to be released in the beginning of 2004 in Hommega rec.

What are your future plans? Going on a world tour?
We have to finish our album, and this year we have gigs in Japan, Denmark, Mexico, Greece, Brazil and England.

How do you see the future for the psytrance scene?
Golan : I think the music itself is going to be much more interesting and well produced. About the scene - I really know only the scene in Israel, and here it will always be a bit underground...

Ok, last question - are we going to see you guys in Denmark some time soon?
Sure !! We are coming to Copenhagen to play live at "Amager-bio" on the 8th of November. Also Infected Mushroom, DJ Antaro and Loopiter will play at this party. We are really looking forward to it. We hear only good things about the parties and the party people in Denmark ! Hope to see all of you !

The party in Copenhagen is almost sold out.          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Sputer
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  315
Posted : Oct 27, 2003 15:02
thanx           ..."Be yourself, let your conscience guide you...
Follow your heart, not the people around you"
DETOX
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  296
Posted : Oct 27, 2003 15:30
I wish more people like Sub6 existed in the psy trance scene cause then noone would complain about bad music and the lack of innovative ideas.

Very nice interview           Toodaloo Motherfuckers!!!!!
Drope

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Oct 27, 2003 15:37
Great!!! U see, BRASIL!!! Solaris, yes this one was amazing, I´ve already said it 10x before:

CONGRATS DU, ur festival was awesome...

Made it to the cover of nu-clear visions, made it to the hearts of sub6 guys, and every single soul that were there...

Thanks profane...

PLURall
s0ft
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  42
Posted : Oct 27, 2003 15:38
great interview!
i love reading these. how did you get this interview anyway? was it live or over the net?
pr0fane
Multiphase

Posted : Oct 27, 2003 16:07
Over the net.          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
djmanu

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Oct 27, 2003 19:45
I discovered their tracks are perfect 3D. It was fun
pr0fane
Multiphase

Posted : Oct 29, 2003 18:28
Hehe, it certainly takes you to another dimension           DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
Alek

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Oct 30, 2003 12:03
Hm... I don't like Sub6's music at all.. and I don't understand why so many people find them special. Tastes differ, I get that... but still... IMO it's quite average... or even below average music to me.

Good interview btw.           How am I supposed to hallucinate with all these swirling colors distracting me!
El Souto (GLOCAL)

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Oct 30, 2003 17:00
>VIVA SUB6!!!!!!!!!
>THE BEST OF ALL THE TIMES!!!!!!!!
>SUB6 SEE YA IN BRASIL!!!!
>EL SOUTO
Jhosten
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  28
Posted : Oct 30, 2003 18:05
OWWW solaris was an amaizing party here , im my opinion sub6 was the best live for me , golan rock´s in the drums , cant wait to see them again this year yet and for solaris dance festival next year ,oww i was forgeting ,BRING MICHELLE !

Union Records - PT
Young&Twisted
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  65
Posted : Oct 31, 2003 17:01
cool thanx man for sharing with us this interview           SoMeOnE FeEL InFeCtEd?
psyshanti
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  44
Posted : Dec 28, 2006 12:08
any idea if they are plannig a new album?
MoWGLi
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  37
Posted : Dec 28, 2006 13:45
Quote:

On 2006-12-28 12:08, psyshanti wrote:
any idea if they are plannig a new album?

Yes, so it says on the HOM-Mega Productions website. It should be out by now actually, but I gues we have to waith again. This is what it litteraly says on the website:
"Works on the 2nd Sub6 album have started. It is scheduled to be released toward the end of 2006. The album will feature a variety of styles ranging from down tempo electro to high octane hard trance including collaborations with label mate Astrix and various singers/producers."

link:
http://www.hommega.com/artist.php?artistID=41
Erez_b

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Dec 29, 2006 22:55
its gonna be wild again !!! i cant wait !!!
best act ever!!!

last album shocked the world.

will be put probably later on 2007 ...

Sub6 - ButterSonic!!!
Trance Forum » » Forum  DJs & Artists - Interview with Sub6

1 2 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance