Trance Forum » » Forum  Trance Art - UV printer ink
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

UV printer ink

Psycosmo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  42
Posted : Sep 25, 2006 07:34
It used to be possible to by ink cartridges of blacklight responsive ink from http://www.dayglostore.com but now they only sell wide format inks. There are a few UV cartidges for specific inkjet printers out there, but unfortunatly I dont have one of those printers.

Does anyone know of any sources for UV printer ink cartdiges, or know how one would go about refilling a color cartridge with fluoro dye? Anyone know anything about printer ink chemistry?
Rik
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  107
Posted : Sep 25, 2006 21:44
I think you should be aware that if your cartridge doesn't include the printing head (like most epson printers) you would basically have to a buy a new printer just to be able to use the uv-dyes. Switching back and forth between normal and uv cartridges will always result in "pollution" between the two.

What printer do you have?

as for refilling old cartidges -> you would need the exact same chemical substance as they usually contain as otherwise it would be very hard if not impossible to create the micro-drops and have them fly onto the paper...           www.psytracks.com :: Brand new website for sharing your psytracks with the world. Get a free 250Mb Artist profile, Blog and events calender!
www.psygarden.be :: Upload your psychedelic art and partypictures to our gallery!
Psycosmo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Sep 25, 2006 22:35
Well the ink itself can be bought in bulk, but ready made cartridges for specific printers are hard to come by.

I have an HP PSC 1510 now but when the ready made UV cardtidges were available I used them with an HP deskjet and an Epson stylus color (they had uv cartridges for every HP and Epson printer out at the time).

Since Ive seen inkjet cartdidge refill kits using standard inks, my idea is to see if the bulk uv inkjet ink that is available in can be used for refills.
Its true there might be some contamination between inks, but maybe it wouldnt be so bad as to dull out the fluoro.
Psycosmo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Sep 27, 2006 08:51
I contacted the place that sells the fluoro inkjet ink, but you need to buy 1 liter of each color, as they only sell in bulk. I am still not clear if inks need to be formulated differently to work with different models of ink cartridge, and how to go about filling them.

If anyone would be interested in splitting an order and trying to experiment with this, please PM me.
Rik
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  107
Posted : Sep 28, 2006 00:59
Can you get me technical information about the type of inkt they would sell you? anything like a datasheet or chemical substances etc would be interesting!

Kind regards,
Rik

ps, don't they have lists of compatible printers?           www.psytracks.com :: Brand new website for sharing your psytracks with the world. Get a free 250Mb Artist profile, Blog and events calender!
www.psygarden.be :: Upload your psychedelic art and partypictures to our gallery!
Psycosmo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Sep 28, 2006 01:37
No, no data sheet, certainly they dont say what the chemicals they use (I wouldnt want to try formulating my own ink anyway. I would be afraid that if I didnt use the right ratios of dye:water:alcohol:ethylene glycol that it would be too thin or too thick and might gum up the works on my printer or something.
Id rather use the preformulated stuff they have as it is pretty inexpensive in bulk anyway).
They have not been very specific with me about exactly what kinds of printers it can an cant work with, but as it is sold as just plain inkjet ink in a bottle (they do not sell cartridges) it seems like there is a good chance it would work with any inkjet. I just dont know for sure.
Also I have been looking into what it takes to refill cartridges, it looks doable, but it seems it would take some experimentation to get the tek just right. That's OK though.
Another possibility would be to use empty new or cleaned out ink cartridges (to avoid the contamination between inks issue that you pointed out), but my google search for "empty ink cartridges" only found places that want to by empties, noplace that sells them.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Trance Art - UV printer ink

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance