First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Goa & Psy

aless
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  11
Posted : Apr 7, 2006 18:01
What is the difference between Goa trance and Psy trance?

~.~ Psy party means Aliens World ~,~
"-Ever had that feeling where you're not sure if you're awake or still dreaming?
-Mmmm, all the time.
-It's called mescaline... It
----Dawn----
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  19
Posted : Apr 7, 2006 18:02
Three letters.
          Am i the only one who believes in solipsism?
Astral699
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  69
Posted : Apr 7, 2006 19:12
Psychedelic Trance and Goa Trance have many things in common but also some diferences. Main difer. is speed
Goa trance is for dance, very energetic, with clear and smooth herttouching melodies (astral projection), while psychedelic trance is very twisted and crazy (hallucinogen). For most of you its extremely hard to find out what is what. I guess you just have to be an oldschol mind. Listen to this music 10 years, and it will be easy to categorize goa/psychedelic.

Basilisk
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  168
Posted : Apr 7, 2006 19:53
All Goa is psychedelic trance... but not all psychedelic trance is Goa
----Dawn----
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Apr 7, 2006 20:34
Quote:

On 2006-04-07 19:53, basilisk wrote:

Well said... YSE should learn this!

Without going into all the history and technical shit... my personal opinion...

Goa Trance is used to describe a style of electronic music that first became popular in the mid 90s (UK-wise anyway). Although the sound had been around for a while it only really took off when mainstream DJs like Paul Oakenfold brought it to public attention. His famous Radio One Goa set was what first brought it to my attention anyway - on Sunday 18th December 1994 to be exact.

http://www.discogs.com/release/201325

Google it and check it out.

It is usually characterised by strong psychedelic melodies which (imo) sound like some kind of strange hyperactive electronic Indian or middle-eastern folk music.

A few (of many) personal favourites...

Astral Projection... for me 'Black and White' is a perfect example of a great Goa track.

Man with no Name

Pleiadians (their album IFO is considered a Goa classic)

and more recently check out...

Khetzal - Corolle

Excellent modern-day Goa album!

As for Psy trance... it's 'exactly what it says on the tin' ... any electronic music defined under the blanket term 'trance' that is psychedelic. A good example would be the album 'Retrofuturism' by Benza... absolutely brilliant stuff!
Krell
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  33
Posted : Apr 7, 2006 20:37
Its the same thing.

When people started getting fed up with the music being labelled "Goa" they started calling it "Psychedelic" instead.

A big thing was the fact that most of the music was not made in Goa, and therefore the geographical meaning of the word "Goa" didnt seem right - it was neither descriptive of the music nor practical.

The fact that lots of CDs and such were commercially branded "Goa" didnt help much either I think... The term became worn down, on an even grander scale than the terms "Full On" or "Progressive" are nowadays.

Goa Trance as a genre does not exist, its more of an era.

Even "Psychedelic Trance", as a genre, does not exist.

Its almost as general as "Trance" in itself.

Goa Trance + Psychedelic Trance = 2 words to describe the trance inducing electronic music being played in the scene created from the cultural offspring of the goa hippie parties of the late 1980ies in india.

There is, however, a general consensus as to what "Goa Trance" is - And that consensus builds around very melodic trance, its a typical stereotype.

Some also think that the more weird stuff must be "psychedelic trance" then.

However - All of it was sold as "goa trance" and "psychedelic trance"....
There was no logic in the genre naming back then, the sound would change very often also - Not like now, where almost everything sounds the same, or is genre crossovers.

There is no clear cut definition of it - other than "old repetitive music played in the neo hippie / emerging psychedelic techno/trance party culture".

Best Wishes

Krell

PS:

There is a term which brands it "Goa Psychedelic Trance" - Which really underlines my point.
          Label DJ>
www.jesterrecords.ca
----Dawn----
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Apr 7, 2006 20:42
Quote:

On 2006-04-07 20:37, Krell wrote:
Its the same thing.

Do you work for YSE?
Krell
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Apr 7, 2006 21:05
Quote:

On 2006-04-07 20:42, ----Dawn---- wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-04-07 20:37, Krell wrote:
Its the same thing.

Do you work for YSE?

Lol

No, but they are definately one of the modern examples of record companies labelling everything "goa" because it sells.

However - This was done already in 1996/97 etc.

Distance to Goa
Destination Goa

Goa this, Goa That - The word "Goa" is so f***ing flat.

Spiritual Trance
Israeli Trance
Melodic Trance

Those were subgenres being used within the "Goa/Psy Trance" definition at the time.

Some put more words on it "Full On, Crunchy and stomping goa trance" - Which is also what you would see some record stores some times did.

Actually, people made up their own genres (and plenty of people still do)

It was in no way the case that stuff was labelled like that commercially, distribution wise right up untill it landed on the shelves it was just all "goa trance" or "psychedelic trance" no matter what it sounded like.

The need to label the music came from the commercial sales channels - "What shall we sell this product as?" - Thats a very relevant question when you need to put it on the shelves at a record store.

Ergo - "Lets label it Goa/Psy".

This had nothing to do with the specifics of the music, but more the scene for which it was intended sales wise (replace scene with the word "marketing segment" and you will see it all very clearly).

Of course, this whole thing develops into another problem once we get loads of Minimal Psy releases like Spiral Kinda, Midi Miliz, The Delta and so forth.

Problem why ? Because the sound changes so much it divides people, especially since a large group starts to define "goa trance" as one sound... After all, they read it on "Distance to Goa" or "Destination Goa" - So, its a product they have expectations for.

For instance, they DEMAND melodies in the music, or whatever - While its actually against the very nature of "Psychedelic Trance" that it should be boxed in and defined like that.

The result is that we get "Full On" and "Progressive/Minimal" - So that the party goers will know what they are buying.
This developed over 1998-2002 I think, where "Goa Trance" first and later "Psychedelic Trance" was more or less put in the garbage can.

Best Wishes

Krell
          Label DJ>
www.jesterrecords.ca
Astral699
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  69
Posted : Apr 7, 2006 23:09
Quote:

On 2006-04-07 20:34, ----Dawn---- wrote:
Quote:

Goa Trance is used to describe a style of electronic music that first became popular in the mid 90s (UK-wise anyway). Although the sound had been around for a while it only really took off when mainstream DJs like Paul Oakenfold brought it to public attention. His famous Radio One Goa set was what first brought it to my attention anyway - on Sunday 18th December 1994 to be exact.

It is usually characterised by strong psychedelic melodies which (imo) sound like some kind of strange hyperactive electronic Indian or middle-eastern folk music.

Astral Projection... for me 'Black and White' is a perfect example of a great Goa track.

Man with no Name

Khetzal - Corolle

As for Psy trance... it's 'exactly what it says on the tin' ... any electronic music defined under the blanket term 'trance' that is psychedelic. A good example would be the album 'Retrofuturism' by Benza... absolutely brilliant stuff!

Ive been since i can remember unsure about how to categorize Pleiadians - IFO, More goa or more psychedelic. Well, after all this is goa, but in bigger part psychedelic, the most psychedelic album ever released imo.

Krell
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Apr 8, 2006 07:42
Quote:

On 2006-04-07 23:09, Astral699 wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-04-07 20:34, ----Dawn---- wrote:
Quote:

Man with no Name

Khetzal - Corolle

Ive been since i can remember unsure about how to categorize Pleiadians - IFO, More goa or more psychedelic. Well, after all this is goa, but in bigger part psychedelic, the most psychedelic album ever released imo.

If you apply the terms in use you would call it "Goa Trance", but, like I wrote - It doesnt matter.

The best fitting description I can think of is "Goa Psychedelic Trance" OR "Old School Psychedelic Trance".

If you break it down, analyze it - Pleidians "IFO", as far as I remember, has most in common with todays Full On - It certainly isnt Progressive or Minimal in its makeup.

If I was to put it in my database, it would be filed under "Goa Trance".

Best Wishes

Krell           Label DJ>
www.jesterrecords.ca
Forest dreams
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  107
Posted : Apr 8, 2006 12:30
Quote:

On 2006-04-07 18:02, ----Dawn---- wrote:
Three letters.

Nothing is said that has not been said before.
Take A Break

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Apr 9, 2006 02:24
Try listening to the destination Goa CDs...then listen to some psychedelic music thats out nowadays.           ohm - dance. Dance is active meditation. When we dance we go beyond thought, beyond mind and beyond our own individuality - to become one with the divine ecstacy with the cosmic spirit.
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Apr 9, 2006 04:00
Goa-Trance is what we used to call it. Nowadays everything is Psychedelic Trance (Psytrance). The swing to calling it psytrance instead of goatrance came around 1998 I think.           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
furthur
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  45
Posted : Apr 9, 2006 06:45
goa was associated with hippies and all these things that ppl that listen to psy (and not goa) disapprove of

so they started calling it psy instead of goa.

personally, i have made a distinction for myself as to what i consider goa and what psy, but i know this distinction does not fit anyone else's distinction, it is just so i have a way of classifying the albums on the shelf

imo, the main difference though is not musical, but ideological (see first 2 paragraphs of my post)           Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.

www.ganesha.ca
----Dawn----
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Apr 9, 2006 07:13
Quote:

On 2006-04-09 04:00, Acidhive wrote:
Goa-Trance is what we used to call it. Nowadays everything is Psychedelic Trance (Psytrance). The swing to calling it psytrance instead of goatrance came around 1998 I think.

I agree that a lot of people these days (especially those new to the scene buying very commercial... yet sometimes admittedly good... compilations by labels like YSE) seem to think Goa trance and psy trance are just different names for the same music - but they aren't!

Goa didn't just suddenly become psytrance - it always was psytrance and still is... and by the same token not all psytrance is Goa! Psy trance just means psychedelic trance the Goa style is just one of it's many sub-genres.

Goa trance has a very distinctive style. As Astral699 rightly said... after listening to this stuff for years you just know what is Goa - and what isn't.

As i mentioned in my previous post, there are still genuine Goa albums being released today. Personally i find the sound slightly dated now but occasionally you get an absolute gem. If you want to know what Goa sounds like get hold of the excellent album 'Corolle' by Khetzal and stick on either 'Bells of Sarnath' or 'Ganesha Pramana'. Not my favourite tracks on the album but it really is hard to think of better recent examples of the genre.

Goa is surprisingly hard to define and while this is by no means a definition of all Goa (there are many variations) - for the typical classic Goa sound think Techno Arabian Nights in Space then sprinkle generously with sci-fi b-movie samples and references to drugs, spirituality, mental illness, aliens and add lashings of neutrons doing it to electrons. Btw, if i remember correctly, you can partly blame Posford for that last one!

If you do this you wont go far wrong.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Trance - Goa & Psy

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance