Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Compilation The French Connection -=- Mind Control Records
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Compilation The French Connection -=- Mind Control Records

full_on
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  279
Posted : Feb 11, 2006 23:35
Compilation The French Connection -=- Mind Control Records

The mailman arrived yesterday with my order right from Beatspace... It was a package with some new records and some old one as well. I decided to start by the new Mind Control Records, the compilation "The French Connection" which features only French artists, most of them signed by Mind Control. I ordered the album without listening to it, this is a dangerous procedure, but I trust Mind Control and I have most of their releases, I expect to find at least 3 tracks I can play inside it.

Package: The booklet is very simple, inside of it we have some sort of "screenshots" of the Mind Control's website. There are no mentions to track times or BPMs, which IMO is not nice, I thought I deserve more, that one to the reasons I buy originals: to get more. To make the situation worse instead of a nice Mind Control stick I got a big Chemical Crew adversitment. Now what the hell is that??? I don't give a Damn for Chemical Crew and I got garbage instead of a stick??? Not nice at all. I hope someone will listen to my voice (and follow me , sample joke! ) and think about it.

This release was mastered by Avi Algranati aka Spacecat and sounds pretty good.
The cover was designed by Nico-Psy-Art and shows a world map. I liked it, simple and completely inside the concept of the album.
The cover: http://212.227.206.198/cgi-bin/zoom.cgi?mcc1cd005_b.jpg:CDs/mcc/mcc1cd005.html:;

Mind Control Records website: http://www.mindcontrolrecords.com/

Track List (track times from my CDJ):

1 - Talamasca - Roswell Mania - 9:10
2 - Altom - Kompakt - 7:28
3 - Deedrah - Another French man in Captown - 8:57
4 - Mael - Shandramala - 8:37
5 - Silicon Sound - Deep Eye 2005 - 7:32
6 - XSI - Overzone - 7:18
7 - Shagma - Goblin - 7:15
8 - Sirius Isness - Dimension - 8:50
9 - Triptych - Playground - 8:40

Let's hear the surprises that the mailman brought me:

1 - Talamasca - Roswell Mania --> Cedric needs no introduction, he is one of the people who actually works to make this scene better. The album begins with the sample: "In this program we'll take a look on what is known about Rosweel and what is still unknown..." It a big sample, and after that some intriguing funny noises and effects and the track start pumping. Completely Talamasca style I could recognize this from a thousand miles away. In less than two minutes characteristic melodies are all around me, interesting bass lines, and the effects come when we least expect. This track is big and packed with a lot of samples, I really like this! 100% sure this took a lot of time to produce. The problem is: I didn't like that solo around 3:00... Well, I guess that why I learnt who to DJing, I'll mix it out. After the solo more melodies and a complex bassline, very good track! To complete my satisfaction the tracks end with a funny sample: "...They're seeing flying saucers everywhere." Amazing way to start an album!!

2 - Altom - Kompakt --> Altom is another French artist I really enjoy. His first track that really called my attention was Vice Point, the samples are just perfect This track is steady, it keep coming, the elements are carefully place on the right spots, it have enough psychedelic elements, the bass is clear and it has that almost invisible hypnotic touch. And it's big, so we have a more groovy part and the stereo work makes it even more interesting. Exceptional track!

3 - Deedrah - Another French man in Captown --> This is a well built track by Deedrah, a guy who knows how to make music. The track flows and has its psychedelic moments, however I don't like that voice that screams: "Africa!", it sounds out of place to me, doesn't seem to fit with the music. I know some people who liked this track, including a guy who asked me ID it on the Unidentified Section, but it's not my cup of coffee.

4 - Mael - Shandramala --> Mael is one of the owners of Mind Control Records, and until last year was known as Nomad. If you want to known more about Mael read my exclusive interview with him:
http://www.fullonline.net/archives/2005/07/mael.html
This track matches perfectly with the Altom track, it's steady and sounds fast, but flows in a clean way. Melodies, effects and psychedelic elements all around the place. OMG, a sample! I can't understand it, many effects, something like "I want to be free... Even if my dreams... Myself..." Please someone help me, I need to know this one! After the sample the track kicks my ass big time. This is one of the best tracks from Mael in a while, and surely one of my favorites on this release.

5 - Silicon Sound - Deep Eye 2005 --> A Silicon Sound track? Well, the info on the booklet is: "Original track written and produced by Johannes Regnier aka Silicon Sound, New version Produced and Engineered by Cedric Dassule aka Talamasca", so it sounds more like a Talamasca remix. Anyway, it's a good follow up for the Mael track, steady... The flow in this compilation is very good. A lot of melodies, different bass and a very strong kick. Nice track, but I've heard better from Silicon Sound and from Talamasca.

6 - XSI - Overzone --> Sample: "In the system ... Earth, man can't possibly survive..." Damn it, I can't understand this one too... OK, I know that I'm always complaining in my reviews about the samples I can't understand, but please understand that I love them!
OK, back to the track: XSI is Jean-Marc, Cyril and Barthelemy, and they are now signed to Mind Control Records, in fact I think next Mind Control's release will be their debut album. I have no clue about what XSI means. The track is good, mixing samples, effects, melodies, and low frequencies. It works on dance floor and the bass work is also good. Very good track.

7 - Shagma - Goblin --> Shagma is Jean Rasti & Laurent Fassier. This track seems to mix a lot different influences and the result is interesting. One of the strong points in this track are the bass lines. It has the classic sample:
"After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable existence as one of my satellites... And that's how it's going to be..."
It's a joyful track, the video game like souds in the end are cool.

8 - Sirius Isness - Dimension --> Sirius Isness is Max Peterson and Davina Elmosnino, they released their debut album through Mind Control. This track is another characteristic track, I think I could ID it as a Sirious Isness track just by listening to it at a party. Yeah, more samples: "I used to though time was considered to be the forth dimension..." "Is it a theory?" This track is a gem, lots of melodies, samples, effects and even some innovation. This track is one of the best tracks I've heard from Sirius Isness, IMO better than all tracks on their debut album. I'm impressed; this should have taken a lot of time to produce. Stunning track!

9 - Triptych - Playground --> How this robust collection of French tunes is going to end? Here is the answer: It's an intense and funky bomb by Charles Michaud, one of the shining stars of the Turbo Trance Records constelation, if you need more info on Triptych read my exclusive interview with him:
http://www.fullonline.net/archives/2005/08/triptych.html
OMG, this track kick ass big time. Just the distortion on bass at the start is enough to make me smile.
Maybe not dance floor friendly at the start, but the many layers of melodies and sounds change it soon enough. Did I said melodies? I should have said MELODIES! This is an original track, Charles confirms he is not afraid of making things different. Innovative track.

One of the best releases by Mind Control. I really happy to have it, it was a very fortunate choice. The French Connection shows their power to the world, good job! I also hope someone read this review and give me the BPMs...

Favorite tracks: 1 (!), 2(!!), 4(!!), 6(!), 7, 8(!!), 9(!).

Verdict: 8/10 - This is in my opinion a compilation that is a lot above average, and the Mind Control Releases usually grows on me with time, so maybe it can become even better. It has 9 previously unreleased tracks, no fillers, all tracks are big and the album has more than 74 minutes of music, which shows Mind Control's respect for their fans. Also flow of this album is very good. Congratulations Mind Control Crew, you justified my trust!

Recommendation: I recommend it for everyone who wants to set the floor on fire or who liked the last Mind Control Releases. If you're a DJ this is a very good album for you, inside of it you'll find a lot of different and effective tracks. This album make me dance!

Buy it here:
http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/mcc/mcc1cd005.html
http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=2605

Respect!
...Be gentle with the earth...
...Dance like nobody's watching...
...I don't mind not going to Heaven, as long as they've got Coffee in Hell...
Bloodclot
Bloodclot

Started Topics :  93
Posted : Feb 12, 2006 04:31
This is a really nice compilation.. Talamasca's track is simply superb.. I remember he started off his set with Roswell Mania while he was here.. Was wondering which track that was.. sounds really good! ... The track that did it for me from this Album was sanctified.. an amazingly melidious track.. that makes ur feet move even while ur sitting.
mist
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  68
Posted : Feb 13, 2006 17:54
best comp of the melodic french style that i've heard in quite some time. good stuff here, which should come as no surprise...

my favs = 3,5,+8

Are you connected to yourself?
http://soundcloud.com/justincaseboy
goa-ganges
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  66
Posted : Feb 16, 2006 15:19
IMO, it`s a Return to Goa Sounds compilation. I haven`t listened to all the tracks yet, but my first impression is that it`s a excellent compilation.
Congratulations MCR.

Peace and Love
Shaqattack
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  71
Posted : Feb 16, 2006 22:16
very nice review full_on!

i pretty much liked the album quite a bit...talamasca ...man have no words to explain this guys music all thru....awesome...also deedrahs track is...nice..but too much of that africa sample...but swaey track...sirius issness ...need not say more...the rest of the tracks are also pretty decent...very nice compilation on the whole was a litle dissapointed with altoms track..not the best i have heard....expected a lot more this one was a little weird...~

overall quite a bomb

peacE
full_on
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  279
Posted : Mar 10, 2006 20:00
Thanks for the comments and your opinions.

Guys, this CD has grew even more on me.
The Sirius Isness track is so effective!
One of the best releases I bought this year!
Respect!
...Be gentle with the earth...
...Dance like nobody's watching...
...I don't mind not going to Heaven, as long as they've got Coffee in Hell...
..::PsySacred::..
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  21
Posted : Mar 10, 2006 23:58
very very nice review full_on likes other reviews from u ..this compilation was one of my best best best cd in 2005 and full of my favorite artists..and as said in info best french artists of nowdays..
in fact i am in love with french psy-morning and this cd impressed me
my fav : 1,2(!!!),4(!!!),5(!!),6(!!),7,8(!!!!),9(!)
cosmic_natraja
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  24
Posted : Mar 17, 2006 09:28
good compil...nothing that we have not heard b4...

altom & xsi are worth a mention...nice trax by both!

PLUR,
gautam
psycho_raver@hotmail.com           Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Compilation The French Connection -=- Mind Control Records

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance