Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Ghreg on Earth - SIGILWEAVER (Wirikuta/ MoE)

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Ghreg on Earth - SIGILWEAVER (Wirikuta/ MoE)

Rah
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  77
Posted : Nov 13, 2005 17:04
Artist: Ghreg on Earth

Album: SIGILWEAVER

Label: Wirikiuta Records / Mistress of Evil Records

Web: www.wirikuta.at

Year: 2005

Format: CD

[img]http://static.flickr.com/24/62791412_59c40a3720_o.jpg[/img]

Songs:

1. Table Of Contents
2. WithInfinite [144 BPM]
3. The Invisible College [144]
4. Sigilweaver [142]
5. Thoth Sphere [150]
6. Hex Vex Elixir [150]
7. Book Of Lies [145]
8. Siren Stars [148]
9. Quintessence Unfurls [145]

What's this about

The month is November and a nebulous object is rapidly descending through the gray sky, leaving a jag of thin contrail clouds in an otherwise dim an uneventful afternoon by the coasts of San Francisco , California . The local residents fearing an alien invasion have already notified the authorities, and they all expectantly wait the flying object to tumble down and reveal its passenger. The crowd that has gathered around the landing strip, gasps a sight of relief when a white man with long blond hair, reading glasses, and a grin from ear-to-ear comes out of the ship… just waving the peace sign, looking the part of an interplanetary, traveler-hippie kind of dude...

Ghreg on Earth, otherwise known as Phosphene, or simply ‘Ghreg' as his mates call him, has been previously featured in Soular, Timecode, Mistress of Evil, Innersound records and Spectral Concepts. In his journey for an original sound SigilWeaver, awakens magickal visions of dark gloomy tales, without the overuse of gurgling effects splashing everywhere. A cinematic adventure presenting ominous soundscape designs, power chords and fiery pulsations, coaxing the ear into a state of pure introspection. The 9-track debut forces the journey inwards, while the sharp turns unexpectedly surface in every corner.

Per-song break-down

1. Table Of Contents

Even though we are talking about a minute-long track, the sound is completely spectral surrounding you in its web of resonance, like a motion picture without really needing the video part. “Table of Contents” paves the introduction for the upcoming track, as a communion of the ancient occult with a high doze of glitchy industrial savoir flair.

2. WithInfinite *

Following the quick intro, “WithinInfinite” makes its presence stand out from the ambient prologue very quickly. The synth's rumble in riffs and for once in a long time, the bass seems to have a little movement and diversity complementing the track, instead of twitching on the same notes until the cows come home. The effects drifting in the periphery maintain a gloomy atmosfear. It is best to get used to it by this point, cause it might morph, but it doesn't really go away.

3. The Invisible College *

Where do the young magicians go when they graduate from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft? That's right to "The Invisible College". That being said, this is definitely not PG material, unless you happened to grow up in Rosemary's crib. The wings haven't really unfurled all the way yet, but it's caustic enough, well churned and damn heavy. Effects rain with distortion, guitars whimper and voices roar. They school you with growls passing through a combo of filters, not forgetting to mention this is still stomping material.

4. Sigilweaver *

When you find a track with the album's title it is expected to be a highlight, or in the least you hope it will carry the all-encompassing theme. Well it does not disappoint. The use of alternative sound banks to create a mysterious environment, without resorting to the usual suspects seems to work here. Such is the case with the chimes pouring here and there. Once again the voice sampling is very ghostly, confusing the ear even more to the whole picture, instead of drifting attention to the words. It remains very psy at the same time, in tuneful but metal sort of way. Something strange occurs at around the 6th minute, is like an intentional skip… I think…

5. Thoth Sphere *

Using the same shock tactics Skinny Puppy or Front 242 relied on back in the day, the sphere delivers a form of subversive communication, in a way that is never forgotten. What's the message? "Fire, humanity, frequency, preparation, active DNA" Heavy stuff. Once again the order of the day is a series of shrieks that melt with real screams, as if the poor bastard was having his appendix removed. I really like the beat which overall is fast as hell, but warm and funky, mutating all the time.

6. Hex Vex Elixir

Glitchy sampling loaded with an impressive roster of sounds, dragging out a slow intro. I get the feeling of being in slow motion for most of the way, only to leap forward in the “water of life”. An alternative rhythm comes in at around the 4th minute… but even so, it always feels like a really long break. Experimental stuff in deed, without any hints of predictability. A bit too diffused in an IDM'ish kind of way, which works like a double edged sword throughout, helping in a few parts and loosing cohesion in others.

7. Book Of Lies *

The “Book of Lies” is a hefty and I mean hefty tome, bridging a number of different themes in less than nine minutes. The good part is personally the swelling riff after the break… trashed with a Crungey Crunch, pumping that Boxboro vintage Amp until the tubes explode. The dusky lead appears later on as the listener is completely immersed in the web of sound.

8. Siren Stars

The progression of the “Siren Star” makes most descriptions useless. I love how the delays smear on the walls indefinitely, stretching the fabric of time. After all "I find the unusual spectrum of the siren star quite - pleasing." As well.

9. Quintessence Unfurls *

Ghreg closes the book with my personal stand out. In this last chapter he has saved all the best trills and arpeggios hinting Goa, while the overall premise is in deed… quintessence. Great use of original FX as it has been the norm throughout. The climax alone is worth checking out. It would have been interesting to see this particular sound seep a bit more on to the other tracks, as the outcome is truly magickal.

* Favourites

All and all

Skipping all laureate pretexts, funky graphics, or evil track names, the album delivers straightforward dark trance influenced by the industrial wave of the old days, a lot of riffs and a doze of psygressive here and there. The unique home-baked style sounds like a hybrid of metal trance, with an uncompromising attention to detail, giving a different outlook to the usual psychedelic imagery. If you find yourself thinking of the apple pie with these qualities, then grab a fork and enjoy... in excess.

Where to get

PsyShop: [url=http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/wir/wir1cd004.html]http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/wir/wir1cd004.html[/url]

Saiko Samples: [url=http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=4741]http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=4741[/url]

Wirikuta: [url=http://www.wirikuta.at/web66/product_detail.jsp;jsessionid=IIBPNFEPMOFN?showDetail=77975]http://www.wirikuta.at/web66/product_detai...howDetail=77975[/url]

[url=http://www.sonic-energy.net/2005/11/album-ghreg-sigil.html]http://www.sonic-energy.net/2005/11/album-ghreg-sigil.html[/url]
          elementoftime.net
musique à la carte in mp3 & wav.

Sonic-energy.net
Reviews, interviews, downloads, articles.
crovo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  16
Posted : Nov 13, 2005 20:16
great review, Rah! nice words to describe the incredible sensation that this release propose.
i was waiting for a long time to hear this album, and there it's. and i'm really not disappointed. i love the way that Ghreg make his sound, using his influences like industrial and ebm. not even a little bit usual in these days.

1st place in my list of favorite darktrance albums.
congratulations, Ghreg!
          Obiit - Industrial Ambient
www.dead-tree.net/obiit

Dead Tree Productions - Obscure Psychedelic Trance Label
www.dead-tree.net

Uroboros Productions - Psychedelic Progressive/TechTrance Label
http://uroboros.dead-tree.net
Greennun

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Nov 14, 2005 09:51
Great review dude, just got the album and its akilla, a true psy journey,song to song the journey goes further into the far reaches of the cosmos!!
Boom..a great buy and a must have for all psy heads.
Pt.
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  236
Posted : Nov 14, 2005 11:17
Ghreg On Earth has released a full album

I've heard most of his compilation tracks, and I have always been amazed by his inntelligent style and power. I shure hope this album will give me the same feeling .. *On my to buy list*

EDIT: Just bought the album on psyshop. + others
Malice in Wonderland
Malice in Wonderland

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Nov 14, 2005 18:48
not even one disappointment on this album, listened this weekend to the whole album and was "fucking" impressed! haha and ppl say psytrance is dead, listen to this and you will retract your oppinion!           www.2to6.net

http://www.facebook.com/malice.in.wonderland.psy
Mistress of Evil
Mistress Of Evil Records

Started Topics :  101
Posted : Nov 14, 2005 19:56
Thanks for reviewing, what in my opinion, is one of the best albums ever released, all genres aside. The power and intention Ghreg puts in his music explodes out of every track. Not to be taken lightly, the beauty of these tracks penetrates deeply into your mind and body; taking you on a journey that not only forces intense introspection, but also leads you out of that intensity and leaves you feeling revitalized and all the better for having taken part in the adventure!
The whole album is a story from beginning to end, each track containing another piece of the puzzle. My favorite track on the album is Thoth Sphere. This track sends me flying out into the cosmos whenever i hear it. It's so good and so touching to me that it brings tears to my eyes (not even joking!) A correction from above the vocal sample is "higher humanity, frequency, vibration"
I hope everyone enjoys this album as much as i do
10/10           Bringing Dreams to Life!
www.encantadaproductions.com
symbiote

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Nov 14, 2005 23:04
incredible music. top notch. went down like a glass of warm elixir on a cold winter solstice night. extremely raw and driving, extremely crystalline and dirty. that last track is absolutely mindboggling. i give a 12/10 and my neighbors are very angry! been playing it a bit loud
crovo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  16
Posted : Nov 15, 2005 04:43
Quote:

On 2005-11-14 23:04, symbiote wrote:
i give a 12/10 and my neighbors are very angry! been playing it a bit loud

LOLZ!!!
i can say the same!
          Obiit - Industrial Ambient
www.dead-tree.net/obiit

Dead Tree Productions - Obscure Psychedelic Trance Label
www.dead-tree.net

Uroboros Productions - Psychedelic Progressive/TechTrance Label
http://uroboros.dead-tree.net
Syntax442
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Nov 15, 2005 06:56
unique masterpiece of the year. (top 3)
i think ghreg is genious, this is the most atmospheric and intelligent darpsy i've ever heard! just ordered my copy.
Ladic

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Nov 15, 2005 18:48
highlights -
- invisible college
- thoth sphere
- siren star

i guess those tracks are immortal
hi tech-tech-trance with awesome darkambient atmospheres and industrial break-it-all passages. this new blood is exactly what decadent psytrance needs! extreme doses of energy that burn everything to dust.....

this album pushed out in my chart eat static's "science of the gods" from the first place of electronic albums ever released. i think i listen to the edge of possibilities in electronic music composing. unbelievable piece this.. sigil weaver!

.. giving it six pentagrams out of five
Gut

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Nov 15, 2005 23:04
What a massive album. An absolute percussive odyssey. Truly epic piece of art. I just can't get over how fucking massive the sound is!

An instant all time fave.

neuromantik
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  28
Posted : Nov 16, 2005 08:34
"Best album ever..."

- Comic book guy
terrorist

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Nov 19, 2005 06:09
wow

this is really good
spacetec

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Nov 20, 2005 12:59
I' crazy bout Ghreg's night sound. a lot of distortion effects, a lot of dark pads, hard percussion-all this do his music really evil . Best album for this time. hope more Ghreg's tracks on the dark parties this season.anyway i'm gonna listen album everywhere on the streets-best power music to listen it everyday
andonis
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  28
Posted : Nov 20, 2005 19:43
He is one of the best out there in his genre. Solid album and music with a distinct character.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Ghreg on Earth - SIGILWEAVER (Wirikuta/ MoE)

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance