Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Rinkadink- 'Pirate Signal' (Alchemy Records, 2005)

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Rinkadink- 'Pirate Signal' (Alchemy Records, 2005)

Lauryn
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  51
Posted : May 8, 2005 10:34
Rinkadink- 'Pirate Signal' (Alchemy Records, 2005)

Artist: Rinkadink (South Africa)
Title: Pirate Signal
Label: Alchemy Records (UK)
Catalog#: ALCD016
Format: CD
Released: April 2005

1. Pirate Signal
2. Metal Endo
3. Basshead
4. Marauder
5. Wavefront
6. Dads Power Song
7. Techmology V3
8. Broken Collaboration
9. Native American Beauty

Review:

The sixteenth release from London based Alchemy Records, this is the highly anticipated follow up full length album to last years killer debut "Rabbit From Darkside" from Rinkadink aka Vana aka Werner Van Jaarsveld. Rinkadink originates from Cape Town, South Africa, but is now based in London and has spent the last year since his debut release spreading his unique, funky, fun, psychedelic style across the globe as well as in the studio creating more killer music. Since 'Rabbit From Darkside', Rinkadink has expanded beyond his South African roots, in the past year releasing tracks on Maia Records, Beats & Pieces, Hadra, Planet B.E.N., Sirius, as well as Alchemy.

1.'Pirate Signal'- The album opens with static confusion...a partially inaudible sample...some jamaican guy(???).. "enjoy!" and then we're immediately tossed into the trademark Rinkadink groove- you know, the one that makes you want to jump up and dance around your room...yeahhh...that one some very nice uplifting melodic lines to start things off. The bassline is deep, the groove, laid back and funky as hell, and its got that killer gritty dirty no nonsense snare that I LOVE. The melody builds, a quick breakdown, and a second more raw sounding synth melody is introduced, which nicely complements the smoother sounding earlier melody. The final breakdown-buildup is massive Rinkadink style, nice filtered fx, and then it all drops out- "enjoy!", and then the groove comes back together. A nice cross between dark, mysterious, and ethereal and more upbeat, bright and uplifting....not too dark, not too light. Perfect for breaking out of the rabbit hole....10/10

2.'Metal Endo'-A slow, plodding start to this track and we're into a groove with a distinct 6/8 feel to it, chopped up samples interspersed among various squeaky fx, and some swooping ambient pads in the background lead us into the first breakdown. Following the introduction of more mechanical, glitchy synth sounds, the track maintains a steady groove throughout. The first breakdown brings us the main melody front and center, a filtered buildup, Rinkadink's trademark snare rolls, and the atmospheric pads fall and fade away, leaving us once again bouncing and shuffling along. The final buildup of the track involves some more acid sounding synths, some very nice start-stutter-stop-starts, and slamming back in for one final chunky groove. For sure Rinkadink has yet to throw the mayhem into full gear. He's just giving us a taste of what is to come... 7/10

3.'Basshead'- An airy, twinkling melody, along with some static vocal samples, the groove kicks in and vocal fx combine with more acid sounding synth stabs, a funky and somewhat goofy feel to this track. A darker, mysterious melody develops along with the use of inaudible vocal samples in the background creating an overall atmosphere of chaos, madness, and confusion in this track- nice! Many quick and clever breakdowns and this track keeps slamming in again and again. Rinkadink is one of the few artists who in my book can pull off these massively epic snare roll buildups, and he does it so well! The final buildup to the sample "basshead" and then were tossed back into the groove once again. I'm not so much a fan of the alarm sounds interspersed throughout, but the rest of this track is so much fun, that it's easily overlooked. 9/10

4.'Marauder'- I am going to come right out and say that I really disliked the first 2 minutes of this track. I was just about to conclude that not even the dope wolf howl sample could save this one-then I waited 10 more seconds-and bam! An almost sitar-like melody was introduced...a somewhat goofy (what the fuck in a good way) element with a slight retro disco feel- what can only be described as one of the most original breakdowns i've heard in a while, and poof! just like that its a killer groove. Did that track really just do that?? The rest of this track is a nice mix of funky grooves, goofy inaudible samples, stretched out buildups, quick unique breaks, oozing synth sounds combining with a sharper, brighter synth melody that bounces over the top of this track, the final breakdown-buildup and resulting melodic groove is raw and powerful! 8/10

5.'Wavefront'- Am I playing video games here or am I listening to a psytrance track? Or is it quite possibly some mutation of the two that doesn't involve sampling Super Mario Bros.?!?! The static of the 'Pirate Signal' is heard once again- keeping this album tied together quite nicely. We're falling into an opening buildup-breakdown nicely sliding into a groove complete with atmospheric melodies and glitchy synth sounds. 2:25 brings a killer breakdown!!!! nice one!!!!!! (can't give the secret away any more than this ) yes...Vana definately showing off the old school video game influence here, it's twisted and the melody's got this uber-happy goofy bouncing along feel to it that i've only heard previously in more suomi-style psy. 4:50 brings a killer breakdown buildup, lots of very nice start-stops, and before long we're bouncing and floating along with this one once again. kick ass! did I win??? 9/10

6.'Dads Power Song'- A spooky sliding synth melody starts this track off, as a galloping bassline fades into the mix. I'm still totally loving the raw, metallic feel of the snare in all of these tracks. The sample manipulation is brilliant, complete with scratching effects. Now, when you sampled the Delta ebonics spoof on your last album ("Hope was Closed"), its kinda hard to out-do yourself when it comes to samples- "what happened? we had a lot of fun but they had a lot of other catch phrases I could believe I was the first one to use the phrase whyyyiiii don't think so" comes close though (see track 8). A more scattered, melody is introduced and bounces around for a bit. "drop the bass" nice tastefully used raw, slightly distorted pounding old school rave kick building into a groove that meshes together a spooky mysterious melody along with short manipulated vocal bits. A slightly dissonant synth sound adds more even power to this track. It's crazy, it's wacky, it's all over the place, and it totally works. 10/10

7. 'Techmology V3'- This track, in contrast to others on this album thus far, showcases Rinkadink's more progressive melodic side. We start off with a driving kick/bassline, some nice percussive fx, and an overall funky melodic feel. Around 1:45 the bass drops out and we are left with an airy floating melody that soon takes center stage in this track, atmospheric vocal pads in the background add to the overall ambiance. The raw bassline, percussive sounds, and rhythms contrast nicely with the smooth, somewhat somber, subtle melodies used throughout. What this track perhaps lacks in chaos and mayhem, it most certainly makes up for with emotion and sophistication in melody. An in your face, full on, progressive melodic bomb! A beautiful morning track! 9.5/10

8. 'Broken Collaboration'- An early buildup, and the introduction of a more driving, in your face bassline and my expectations are set for an all out full on blaster.all right-saturday night- i have no date no date and my all rush mix tape- let's rock inaudible chopped up samples intertwining with various short synth stabs and melodies bounce around for a bit before introducing a more straightforward synth melody. Despite the numerous snare rolls and breakdown-buildups full of anticipation...the melody in this track somehow holds it back, preventing it from reaching its full blast potential, and it could have been much more glitchy and quirky. However, the sample is killer, best on the album. 7/10

9. 'Native American Beauty'-'its one of those days, there was this electricity in the air' The beginning of this track introduces a melody with a distinct jazz influence to it, leading us to an early buildup, some nice raw sounds and orchestral synth stabs (which I am not much a fan of, until they are nicely manipulated later on in the track). I've been waiting all throughout this album for a track along the lines of "You Are Not Who You Are" (Hadra), well, this is it! A mysterious flute melody is introduced, once again some nice sample manipulation building up to silence. The original melody takes over here and we are unexpectedly thrown into a downtempo groove just long enough to make me want to hear a downtempo track from Rinkadink- tossed back into the groove- then into a breakbeat buildup, a very nice change-up from the snare roll buildup!! A slightly more laid back groove than previous tracks, winds down this album. 8/10

Favorites: 1(!!!), 3, 4(!!!), 6(!!!), 7

Overall: It's always refreshing to see an artist who's music you love stay true to his unique and original style. Yet, it's equally as refreshing to see that same artist having grown and developed as a musician since his last release, while at the same time, also incorporating many new ideas and influences into his new music. Rinkadink has done both and produced an album that not only stands out among the myriads of psytrance releases these days, but also one that is fun and enjoyable to listen to start to finish. 9/10 + bonus points for a killer set in London last month

~gOa ist nicht nur musik sondern auch eine lebenseinstellung~
http://www.peakrec.com/
http://www.myspace.com/djlauryn
brb345

Started Topics :  2
Posted : May 8, 2005 12:08
excellent review for an outstanding album!!
in the opening track the sample says something about london..then enjoy...thats the best track according to me.(surprisingly emotional!!)
NExt fav has to be Techmology V3. A very nice psysexish melody comes in which gives it a morning feel.
definately a must have from a stellar producer (oh yah the production is awesomeeee)
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : May 8, 2005 15:31
Hmm I don't know about this one. I own his previous album 'Rabbit From Darkside' and found it to be pretty good, though I was unsure what all the hyping was about at that time. Anyway, I listened to some online samples of this and what I've heard so far doesn't convince me to consider this a worthy purchase. There are so many good releases out right now that his actually pales a little in my ears. Ah well, I'll check out some more reviews of this and listen to the online samples a bit more. Maybe it'll come to me. Production is good though, that's a fact.           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
Spectron

Started Topics :  0
Posted : May 8, 2005 16:49
good work dude like your style very freashy sounds fuckin killer production...

wish you all the best with this one....
dtmoney
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  13
Posted : May 9, 2005 07:34
I'm not surprised that this is a awesome release from rinkadink, however, it is not as interesting as the first one.
full_on
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  279
Posted : May 11, 2005 07:11
Finally I have my own copy in my hands!

It have the best CD cover released this year IMO.
Also it came with a nice stick and the cd inlay has the phrase:

"Pirate broadcasters all over the world: 'What the radio won't play, the underground will suply'".

I just connected to the Alchemy records site and right now I'm downloading the 214 Mb high quality free video at 109 Kb/sec!

Wait for my review, this album is really unpredicable...

Thanks to Shanegoby and Alchemy crew to make this available at my country!
Respect!
...Be gentle with the earth...
...Dance like nobody's watching...
...I don't mind not going to Heaven, as long as they've got Coffee in Hell...
.:VINNX-BRASIL:.

Started Topics :  1
Posted : May 11, 2005 08:12
I waited good time to listen to this album!!, realy good musical production..!!, this album I found well more professional music from rinka, i realy hope to see this live in Brazil, my favourites tracks is: 7. Techmology V3 ( beautiful morning track!!!! )
8. Broken Collaboration ,9. Native American Beauty , 3. Basshead ...
good luck to alchemy crew..!!           ¤BRAZÏLÏAN°TRANC€°MÄFIA®
ori_k
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  13
Posted : May 11, 2005 17:38
thumbs up for rink
very nice album indeed
Dai
IsraTrance Junior Member
Dai aka Amatti

Started Topics :  12
Posted : May 12, 2005 12:19
Nice...cover art, music, concept...I'm loving it!!! So much fun to listen to...trick..trick after trick...then bashing me down to the ground!!! this is hilarious!!!!
          Tell me what you listen, and I'll tell you what you are.
http://www.brainbusters.info
http://www.psytribe.com
Wizack Twizack
Wizack Twizack

Started Topics :  239
Posted : May 12, 2005 14:51
very nice album, i like almost all trax but i think my fav is Techmology V3 love those bells and drive! killer on the dance floor!

bOm!           For Contact & Bookings:
Wizack_Booking@hotmail.com
www.soundcloud.com/wizack_Twizack
New Album Out: Wizack Twizack - IV (Ovnimoon Records 2011) http://www.beatport.com/#release/wizack-twizack-iv/387698
karmakanik
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  19
Posted : May 12, 2005 23:55
no. 5 - wavefront is totally wacked! I love it. similar in vibe to the song "fry through space" on the wild life jungle juice comp, but kicked up a notch or three.

i'm curious to see how it'll work on the dancefloor.

as for the rest of the album, i found it kind of hit or miss so far, but it definitely needs some repeated listenings. i'll have to check back later with an update           PSI - the Philadelphia Shamanista Initiative
Saylum
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  73
Posted : May 13, 2005 09:49
Thanks for the outstanding review dude, killer ass album indeed!           Peace & Love!

´·´*¨ ¯ ¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯ ¯ ¯¯
¸.·´* "Love.. Patiance.. Understanding.." / Trust In Trance"
Shaqattack
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  71
Posted : May 14, 2005 00:26
have just heard it once thus far...and that too in a bit of a hurry...

well it sure did sound nice...as i had expected but if i recall right..a few tracks lacked a little power imo...maybe it was coz i had expected somethin a lil different..

tho all in all i sure do still like it!

btw...OUTSTANDING REVIEW
peacE
X-static

Started Topics :  0
Posted : May 15, 2005 22:54
Rinkadink's music is just unpredictable!always sounds fresh and original. This album is litle diferent from the 1st one , but its dosen't meen that its not as good. IMO he just showing us something new, kind of "old school" vs "new technology" psy -trance. Each track has some spicy moments with killer FXs and melodys , the hole album has nice flow.
Im shure a lot of these tracks will be massive on the dancefloor!
I like specialy tracks # 1! , 3 , 5 , 6! ,7!, 9!.
Big respect to Rinkadink and Alchemy Rec.!
kameleonpangea36
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  77
Posted : May 15, 2005 23:14
this cd is so much fun, it stands out so much out of all the new releases, its great to mix with other uk madmen too, ive listened to this cd about 90 times i think, there would probably be 2 tracks that are a little to bonky for me but its balanced out by the other bombs and gems on this groovy rollercoaster.           
label: www.pureperceptionrecords.org
design: www.designsbymattbryson.com
soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/kameleon-pangea
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Rinkadink- 'Pirate Signal' (Alchemy Records, 2005)

1 2 3 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance