Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Behind the Eye - a little bit of history
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Behind the Eye - a little bit of history

tom anteater
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  56
Posted : Sep 17, 2002 01:34
1) Vernon: Vernon's Wonderland
2) Sonic Infusion: Magnifica
3) Zyon: No Fate Mix
4) Virtual Simmetry: See You
5) Odysee Of Noises: Troya Mix
6) Goahead: Freebeach - Anjuna Mix
7) Mirage: Airborn
8) The Volunteers: Sun Down
9) Java: Cosmos
10) Brainchild: Synfonica

EyeQ records '94

what with the rerelease of vernons wonderland (with a marginal name change) i think it is time to re-examine our "roots".

straight out of hamburg in early '94 comes the first compilation from what was to become the redoubtable EyeQ record label. along with its sister label (and other sven vath baby) harthouse (original releasers of koxbox incidentally) this label blazed the way for a lot of what was to follow and we today take for granted.

But this is not just a historical curiosity, indeed the recent ressurection of vernon from the vaults of trance classics is testament to the influence and continuing power of these early tunes.

A feast of completely innovative (at the time remember) trance / goa tracks this is a complete essential for anyone interested in the development of what we now identify as the psy trance sound. Perhaps the use of instruments has not dated that well in places, but on the whole it is astonishing that the artists in question managed to convey the range of feeling present on this record.

Some wranglings that i cannot fully decipher mean that the original release of this cd started with enegy 52s much admired cafe del mar (dj kid paul mix - the real deal!) however, by the time of the second pressing this had been removed and we kick off with what i think is, unfortunately, not a very good remix of vernon.. aah well, the original is easy to come by. The no fate '93 track on the other hand still stands as a lesson in how to make 'emotional' electronic sounds on a piano, hear it and feel melancholy (in a good way, i promise ). The Goahead track features a proto hard trance offbeat bassline and some absolutely sublime sounds - i've put this on repeat in my cd player a fair few times over the years.. (oh and of course, here the connection with that funny exportugese colony is most evident ) Other stand out tracks are 7 and 8, i particularly like the proto twisted acid line in the mirage tune (very very proto btw!). but at the end of the day, the feel of the entire album is so perfect, so well realised and, at the time, was so original, that i'm sure its place in trance history is assured.

If you have never heard any of this, find it!          >>love will tear us apart...<<
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Behind the Eye - a little bit of history

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance