Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Androcell - Emotivision [celestial dragon] CDREC-01
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Androcell - Emotivision [celestial dragon] CDREC-01

sourcepan
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Aug 14, 2004 08:50
Androcell - Emotivision (celestial dragon) CDREC-01
http://www.sonic-dragon.com/celestial_dragon.htm

firstly, some background on Tyler 'Quasga' Smith who is Androcell.
U.S. based Quasga has previously recorded 3 albums under the name 'Prabhamandala' from 1998 until 2002. the last album being released in 1992 shortly after which Prabhamandala decided to call it a day. around that same time Quasga became focused on creating a downbeat solo project under the name Androcell. this is the debut album from that project and also the first release from new chill label celestial dragon.

here's a brief description of each track as i hear it.

1. Purple Aura
this one sets the scene for the entire album really, cerebral melodic synth work, articulate ambient soundscapes, dreamy tonal percussive sounds, sparse beats, slow paced.

2. Dub Crystals
we're entering the dub zone now, starts with happy dub intro (i'm always happy to hear dub) moving between dub and rich delayed synthlines. nice female vocals permeating the mix at times.

3. Soul in the Machine
starts off where the previous track left off, core component in this track is a nice mid range hypnotic arpeggio sound, reminds me of some of those moments that seem to last a brief eternity at outdoor parties.

4. Molecular Sunrise
different feel to this tune, takes me back in time to some degree, very emotional feel to it, slightly introspective (sorry for such a subjective description!)

5. Plant Life
sounds dropping as if into liquid, lovely effected eastern female vocal. bit of a 'swingers in paradise' retro style pad coming in and out. driven by a heavy, slow, low end. quite a build up late in the 5th minute before breaking down and rising again, nice variation to finish up with before heading into the thunder and rain

6. Hash Bazaar
as the name suggests this tune is influenced by what i'm guessing are morrocan vocals or probably of that region, i think this track would fit in nicely on the electro'riental delight vol.2 compilation (i say that as a compliment!).more upbeat than most of the other offerings here

7. Rapture of the Deep
beautiful resonant sweep & nice traditional dub bassline to get going. things start rockin' some more with a 4/4 kick drum midway through, which drops in and out for the remainder of the track, not too soft, not too hard, just nice....lovely synthwork as usual, this does have me in rapture:-)

8. Hindu Kush
heavier bassline and percussion compared with most of the album, more of an earthy drive to it, some sort of sitar or similar action infused into the mix, beautiful synthline coming in toward the end of the track to take you all the way home. nice, very nice, intense, favourite of the album!

9. Fungus Garden
male chanting, angelic high end sounds, a fitting end to the journey.

influence has definitely been drawn from many of the dub/chill legends currently gracing the planet, but as with his previous releases Quasga maintains his unique spin on things.a solid ambient album, no need to get up to change tracks at any stage whilst listening, which is imo always important when selecting a cd to chill to, a gentle journey through out, always changeing it up. another nice addition to my treasured downbeat collection.
recommended!

oh, this release also comes with an artwork booklet done by Quasga which shows off some of of his graphic art talent.
you can check samples of the release (audio and visual) here.
http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=4103

Jerome
Basilisk
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  168
Posted : Jan 20, 2005 17:47
I was never all that into this artist's previous trance project, but this album is quite smooth. Psychedelic dub and chill-out material with nice art work. As noted, you don't have to get up to change it at any moment which is really nice - here's an album you can take in its entirety. It doesn't fall into my "sleep friendly" category but it sure will relax and (in the right mood) enlighten. Emotivision is good music that I fear has been overlooked in a year of excellent chill-out releases. Starting from Ott's Blumenkraft, move in a line towards Entheogenic's Spontaneous Illumination and direct yourself towards the psychedelic trance world, and you will find this album somewhere along that line. Dubby but more on the psychedelic side - less clean and concise than some of the flagship releases of the style in modern times, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing at all. Worth a listen for all fans of psychedelic chill-out I'd say!

Perhaps I will review this again when favourites make themselves apparent after further listening... had to drop this one comment in here after seeing there wasn't much in the way of reviews here
blueOrb
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  100
Posted : Dec 3, 2005 17:50
i cant believe my eyes .....this album is defn one of the best dub albums ive ever heard ......it osunds fresh everytime i hear it ....and yet just one reply to this review .....

has this album not got its due credit or are people just lazy? ....
1,2,3,6,9 are my favourites ......

iam looking forward to the new androcell album hope its out soon

New mixes on
http://soundcloud.com/blueorb

Older Mixes on
http://blueorb.podomatic.com/
furthur
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  45
Posted : Dec 3, 2005 19:26
one of my favourites for sure
awaiting anxiously the new one
www.androcell.com           Load Universe into Cannon. Aim at Brain. Fire.

www.ganesha.ca
The Green Channel
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  41
Posted : Dec 4, 2005 12:31
A sublime album, 8.5/10, "dub-it" all the way. Waiting for the the next one, i'm sure it will be even better.           "Love is a way of life"

(Gaia, Love, Nature, Shamanism (.2A.y.0a.hu.1a.sc.2a.), Terence McKenna)
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Androcell - Emotivision [celestial dragon] CDREC-01

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance