Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Chosen #2 (Hadshot)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Chosen #2 (Hadshot)

krelm
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  67
Posted : Jun 29, 2004 03:07
V/A – Chosen #2 (Hadshot)

01. Tiefschwarz – Ghostrack
02. Tomcraft on Yellow – The Race 2003
03. Pierre Hiver – Da Funk 2K4 (Pierre Hiver Rework)
04. Haris – Fashoinist (Turbo Hoover Mix)
05. Dark Monks – Insane (Steve Murano Remix)
06. Mara – Desanitize (Terminalhead Remix)
07. Designer Tech – Get Ready
08. D-Formation – Starstuff (Simon & Shaker Bladerunning Mix)
09. Marc O’Tool – DJ Poetry
10. The Dominatrix – Sleeps Tonight (Black Strobe Remix)

With the second (and with any luck not the last) installment of the Chosen series, Yaniv seems to take more of an Elektro track with his selections. There are the in-your-face straight-up electro pieces (Tiefschwarz, Dominatrix) bookending a wide range of similarly-influenced bastard children. Intentional or not, Chosen #2 takes a step back from the dancefloor and really challenges the listener.

This is absolutely compilation for the open-minded, but once you get into it - damn, what a ride.

01. Tiefschwarz – Ghostrack
The CD opens with a track from Tiefschwarz – a legendary act in German electronics through their endless years as globe-trotting DJs, producers, and remixers. A funky house bassline combines with elektro klangs & bells, and kitcshy samples forming an exercise in feel-good funk. This isn’t a peak dancefloor track, but watch people try not to groove early in the night. This is electro-house at its very fucking best.

02. Tomcraft on Yellow – The Race 2003
No matter how many times I hear this track, I have no idea what to make out of it. Absolutely over-the-top in all aspects, but it still somehow manages to stay intriguing. I wouldn’t play this in a set (ever), but it’s cool – in a 7am post-gas huffing, sucking stale beer out of the carpet sort of way (that is meant as a compliment for any otherwise sane person who should be confused ).

03. Pierre Hiver – Da Funk 2K4 (Pierre Hiver Rework)
Hellooooo guitars. I’ll say it now – I’m not a fan of electric guitars in dance music, and this track is pretty much just that. Very simple, lots of guitars – not much else to it. This one has me hitting the forward button 3 minutes in, but then again, I’m probably not the best person to judge it. Waiting for a Skazi remix….

04. Haris – Fashoinist (Turbo Hoover Mix)
We are redeemed from guitar hell. Bubbly funky house-trance crossover is on the order for this track. “Fashionist” is an extremely simple, straightforward track. It gets to business in the groove and doesn’t have any huge surprises. Bubbly acid-bassline and a repeating vocal sample drive the track through various percussion schemes. This one will absolutely burn up a progressive dancefloor – granted it would get boring for the nearly 9-minute duration of the track, but in the hands of a DJ who knows how to drop this sucker in at the right moment, watch out for your legs. They will be in flaming pain.

05. Dark Monks – Insane (Steve Murano Remix)
“Insane” starts out with a nice tough agressive tekkish groove – before it gets destroyed with a huge dramatic vocal breakdown. This track is not for the diva-weary - alas, I’m not one of those. The progression and groove are good here, but unfortunately the vocal kills it for me. Were there a non-diva version of this track, I would be cleaning up my boxers – as it is, this one is so sadly not my game despite one of the sweetest electro-tech grooves I’ve heard in awhile.

06. Mara – Desanitize (Terminalhead Remix)
Now onto my favorite track on the CD. I’m a breaks fiend, no secret about it. Terminalhead create a deep sultry breakbeat masterpiece designed to rock all the world’s dirty backroom sound systems. While Mara’s original pieces have never excited me, they are one of those artists who create the tools that a talented remixer can turn into a unique opus that transcends the styles of both artists (browse my vinyl collection for examples ). This is no exception – Terminalhead’s minimalistic percussive breaks meets Mara’s twisted moody abstraction, with a small dose Sarah Whittaker’s voice sparsely sampled throughout to perfection. Wicked.

07. Designer Tech – Get Ready
While the best track is past, the CD fortunately doesn’t take a rest. Next up is the dirty tribal of Sascha Andres’ Designer Tech. This is a fantastic tribal-tek piece that would be fitting of the Electribe or Mutekki sound. A massive throbbing bassline and deep percussive groove drives the track with tiny hints of melody throughout. Very strong.

08. D-Formation – Starstuff (Simon & Shaker Bladerunning Mix)
Continuing the tribal groove are the Spanish progressive masters – Dimas remixed by Simon & Shaker. If you have heard a progressive DJ in the last year, then certainly this track has rocked your ass, even if you didn’t know it. Nevertheless, it hasn’t lost any of the original luster from its initial release on Intenso. A driving tribal-tek groove builds into a massive melodic breakdown which explodes in a floor-killing climax. While disgustingly simple, this track is destined to still be rocking floors for years to come. Progressive trance doesn’t get any better than this. Period.

09. Marc O’Tool – DJ Poetry
It’s time to wind things down. Keeping us in the mood is German man o’ the moment Marco O’Tool with his trademark dub-tek sound in “DJ Poetry”. This displays Marc’s usual quality, but nothing revolutionary compared to his usual sound. The vocals are a tad grating but *just* spase enough not to ruin it. Save this one for the after-hours – it’ll work, trust me.

10. The Dominatrix – Sleeps Tonight (Black Strobe Remix)
Closing the compilation is a bizarre retro-EBM-influenced elektro track. This is certainly not for the dancefloor, but it’s fun, even if only for personal reasons (too much Skinny Puppy & Frontline Assembly as a teenager ). Very original ending to an extremely varied story.

Overall, this is a very nice compilation. There are definitely a couple “easy” dancefloor hits (#7, 8), but this one also also ventures into deeper territory (#6, 9), and also into some sicker tracks that are also just enjoyable for pure listening pleasure (#1, 2, 10). This isn’t going to be a CD that just ends up as a “useful tool” in my CD case – it’s found a space in my discman as well.

8/10

And – just in case anybody was worried, Hadhot assures “We only use real girls on our covers!”. Whew, what a relief.

-----------------
Dr. Krelm DJ Mixes and Broken Symmetry archives - http://www.krelmatrix.com

Broken Symmetry on MCast - coming in 2007....
Jingabé
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Jun 29, 2004 19:42
Ok Cd!! It has it's moments, especially track #7 by Designer Tech, and track #3 which is not only a "guitar track". It is the remix to the great track "Da Funk" by Daft Punk. The guitars are remains of the original one and, imo, are the ingredient that gives the real flavour to both tracks.

The rest didn't really catch my attention!!
clown
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  97
Posted : Jun 30, 2004 01:57
i really like the first three tracks.. i'd have to relisten to it again, maybe i missed the 7th one.. lol..

the first chosen CD had much more intense/deep music..           "VA - REWIRED" OUT NOW !! (techtrance invasion) ---> http://forum.isratrance.com/viewtopic.php/topic/86303/forum/9
http://psy.techno.fm <------- Jester Records's Internet Radio channel
www.jesterrecords.ca
Zombi
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  375
Posted : Jun 30, 2004 11:44
i also liked first one much more but this cd also have great moments.. my fav are Mara and Designer Tech..
may be some Playhouse and Punkt next time ?           Believe your soul !
Alex Boshke
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  59
Posted : Jul 2, 2004 14:31
First 3 tracks are the best for me as well.
Good Choice!

Yaniv Tal
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  35
Posted : Jul 13, 2004 00:54
IM Happy that everybody menage to get some tools out of it

its kind a hard to build such a diverse comp and to satesfy everybody ( impossible I guess)

however both chosen 1 sold out and 2 is very close to be sold out and Im positivly sure that your comments all along the way where part of it achivment

thank you for your support and wide horizens

no 3 is in process...
dunno half of the tracklist yet but i sure got the black hair girl
tom anteater
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  56
Posted : Jul 13, 2004 11:40
favourite track definately the d-formation.. progressive gold the daft punk rework seriously does the buissiness on the floor as well i have obsereved.. sure i'll try out the others in slower times soon looking out for number 3.. could you get a nathan fake tune on it pls           >>love will tear us apart...<<
clown
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  97
Posted : Jul 15, 2004 21:30
just as a tip.. (or maybe an opinion to release the best compilation for ME hehe ME ME ME)...

Keep the tracks dancable.. like, there's a couple on the chosen 2 comp that are strickly breaks.. they are great tracks, but i canot find place for stuff like this in a set.. and im pretty sure most people buying this comp is to mix the great tracks..

Keep up those deep house tracks, and the electro one's are kool.. (except Dominatrix) which is TOO slow IMHO..

and loose the gay purple coulors.. hehehe..           "VA - REWIRED" OUT NOW !! (techtrance invasion) ---> http://forum.isratrance.com/viewtopic.php/topic/86303/forum/9
http://psy.techno.fm <------- Jester Records's Internet Radio channel
www.jesterrecords.ca
Sektor666
Inactive User

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Jul 16, 2004 13:12
Yaniv best wishes ! pretty nice compilation by Hadshot , impressed by style of it !

The only one weakness i see is that Marc O'Tool seems little bit in different level of sound design than other producers .

Next time decode his track in lower sample rate , joke man
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Chosen #2 (Hadshot)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance