Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Prometheus - Robot-O-Chan (Twisted)

1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Prometheus - Robot-O-Chan (Twisted)

traveller
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  234
Posted : Nov 19, 2003 18:16
Artist: Prometheus (Benjamin Vaughan)

Album: Robot-O-Chan

Label: Twisted

Release Date: 20th of January 2004

Cat: TWSCD25

Total playtime: 67:35

Genre: Psytrance

Tracklist:

01 Robot-O-Chan 08:13
02 Mekong Delta 07:41
03 Number Cruncher 08:09
04 Snakes & Ladders 08:18
05 Samothraki 07:56
06 Universe 07:45
07 O.K. Computer 07:49
08 U.R. Beautiful 07:47
09 Long Wave 03:25

Part I
Before we start I just want to let you know that the text below represents my own unique opinion. Reason for me typing this here is that I really don't feel like adding "in my opinion" or "in my humble opinion" to the beginning of every second sentence. That being said do read on..

It usually takes like a day or two to review an album. That was the case here too. Must have been like a week ago or so when I was about to click that reply/submit/send button. I had maybe fourteen A4's of Courier New just waiting to be seen by others. The album was playing and I was just going thru the biggest grammar and spelling mistakes. So basicly everything was at its place, but then..

I hadn't even listened the album thru one time when I already knew that it was marvelous, yet another brilliant release from the Twisted empire. Everything was just how it was ment to be. A flawless album in every single meaning of the word. My view was ofcourse just how it was ment to be. I admit, I'm a big ass Twisted whore. They did claim a soft spot from my heart a long ago and sure have kept exclusive rights to it ever since. To keep the story on going..

I listened the album thru again and again. Must have been the 4th or perhaps the 5th time when it all changed. The album sounded still great, all in all okay, but it just didn't feel that unique or special any longer. One could say that the shine was gone. Maybe it's just a overdose I though. From that point on the day was 100% music free..

As I started listening to psytrance ala Prometheus again the next day the album didn't sound even okay, mediocre at its best. Did give it a few more chances, but nothing changed. Believe me, it's not a comfortable situation to find yourself in. After all they did send me the album for a review, but a negative review is definetly not something a label is after. I figured that maybe I'd write a positive review, just concentrate on different things. In a nutshell make very well clear that maybe the style just simply isn't my pack of cigarettes but I'd be more than sure that some would praise it to the skies and beyond..

But I chose to not sell my soul, and so decided to write what I felt and hope for the best. So as I was about to post my review it could have had a title in a fashion of "Robot-O-Chan - The Biggest Utter Dissapointment Of The Year". To get back to the story..

I decided to smoke a cigarette and after that check the review thru one more time. I'm slowly but firmly becoming a perfectionist. As I came back inside it was “Snakes & Ladders” playing. To say the least it sounded fucking marvelous and I felt awesome. As I nodded my head to the music I checked what I had written from this particular tune. It didn't add up. So instead of posting the review I selected everything and deleted the whole thingy..

Part II
Having had this album for a much greater time now I think I can safely say that it's music wise the best thing that I've come across this year. Having said that I think I might aswell say that it's THE thing that has happened to music in quite some time. This album, well the tracks represented here anyways aren't about basslines, percussions, beats, effects, definetly not kickdrums or even melodies. Don't know how to explain myself. I guess what I'm really trying to say here is that in a way every single track here is a complicated network. Everything is integrated, it's not about individual things but the way they play together..

You know how you can get the creeps from hearing some spooky music or feel really down while listening to something sad. If I for example want to feel down I'll listen to Albinoni's Adagio in G-minor. Getting back to the point the thing I'm really trying to say here is that this album brought up a whole new emotion in me. I don't really know how to describe it. It feels really good, but yet in a way you don't really know what the hell you are doing while you feel it. I guess you could say that you forget not only the existence of others, but also your very own. I for one find it incredible that Benji has programmed pieces of code with his hardware/software interference into 0's and 1's and here I am sensing it all as my cd player millisecond by millisecond opens that code and converts it to wobbling air which my ears again convert into "sound" which I sense in my being essence..

Part III
It's incredible how similar Ott's debut's frontcover is to this ones’. Then again, maybe not, after all it's been done by the same guy. This particular guy is called Calx and he lives in a place called http://www.Calx.co.uk The frontcover of Blumenkraft is pretty much white, black and blue. That's the case here too. In Blumenkraft's frontover there's a fluffy little robot thingy with a red flower. In Robot-O-Chan's cover there's Robot-O-Chan himself. He looks somewhat evil with his cool scary satanic eyes and other fancy shining parts. Ott's album was all in all fluffy thingy about warm and happy places, just what the cover promised. So one could assume that this one isn't about summer but nuclear winter. No love here, only hate. Then again as they say, don't judge a book by its cover. The same just might apply to CDs.

Benji is definetly no stranger to sound. To name a few groups he has been part of: Younger Brother, Cyberbaba’s and Contraband..

Part IV
This album can be divided into three parts. There's the first tune which is pretty chilled and sets you up for the right mood. The tracks two thru eight are all in a way similar. Well not really similar at all, but they do tend to make you dance. Then there's the last tune. When it's playing it's time to say good bye..

Like I said, “Robot-O-Chan” sets you up for the right mood. It's a beginning of a epic story. Slowly but firmly it grows on you. At first there's really not that much going and then suddenly.. Spooky storytelling, it's definetly the little things. Things get their place. New things arrive. Things evolve. Traditional? Not at all. Opera for the 21st century? Yeah, something of that flavour. You might fall in love with the basslines or perhaps the drumwork. Then again maybe it’s the synths that do the trick for you. That’s not all though for there’s the weirdness and the athmosphere to fall in love with too. This track is not that difficult to get. It's straight, it's modest but most important of all, it's good! The word good doesn't actually do much justice to it, lets rather call it brilliant.

As "Mekong Delta" starts playing the first part is totally left behind, there really is no question about that. Chills are now chilled, but the party does go on, just find your way to the mainstage. Hurry! Hurry! It's about to start. You made it! You hear the travelling synths while you approach the stage. They're getting louder and louder or perhaps it's a trick of your imagination? The kick and hi-hat combo is about to burst into bloom. Almost there. Do drink now, soon it'll be too late. A sip or two and let us go on. At some point you might find youself sitting on the ground. It does take all your focus to really hear the track. Why dance physically, mental travell seem so much more appealing! All you gotta do is close your eyes, no substances required, everyone is welcome. Hell, even my fish seem to participate. =)

*Sigh* Samothraki, ah Samothraki, those were the days! If you were there and catched Prometheus playing you definetly heard this tune called "Number Cruncher". I was sure I had never heard this one before but as the code started opening I had a mild deja vu. If it was about the little things in the first tune, well here a mental microscope is more than necessary. Futuristic, psychedelic, tricks, more tricks, variation, complete, those words combined, that's what this tune is all about..

Another deja vu occured when I heard the beginning of "Snakes & Ladders". Again, it's the tinyest details that work together with the bigger things that create a perfect harmony. Okay, they are in a harmony but what they create, that's something else. It was this tune playing somewhere around four minute mark when I finally learned to appreciate, love and enjoy this album. When the track starts building up again and finally reaches the climax, that sure is one hell of a climax with capitals! The way things arrange themselves again. The way it becomes complete again. And then, the fucking blast! Elegant, intelligent, emotional, uplifting, sad, it speaks to me! Definetly one of my personal favourites.

How nice of Benji to dedicate a track to Samothraki Dance Festival! Now it's time to stand on your feet again and start working with those moves. Show me what you’re workin’ with. =) Ingredients ala Benji, it's just simply impossible to resist. It has flavour. Call it salt, we all need it, we just couldn't survive with out it. Call it sugar, it's sweet. Call it chili, it's spicy. This was definetly very, very hard track to learn to appreciate. It has elements from full on. It has elements from progressive trance. It has elements from classical music. I can also trace elements of rock, jazz, pop and even hiphop. What ever you are after, trust me, it's here, might just be a little difficult to find. It’s a open platform, works with both, e-head fool onnists and important bastard progressivenists.

Universe sure is one wonderful thing. "Universe" doesn't fall that much behind. It’s made in the spirit of Samothraki if you ask me. Keeping things short, this track does one big cycle, in the end it returns to the source. So the timeline of this Universe is cyclic.

Next up is my personal favourite, "O.K. Computer". First of all, no it's not a remix of anything. Second of all, this tune is fucking outstanding. 2,3,0,2,2,4,6,7 gotta love it, what a brilliant sample! Then there's that repeative "computer insane, computer insane" sample, but now I'm jumping ahead of things. No time being insane just yet. If you were to ask me what my all time favourite psytrance tune was I honestly couldn't answer that. Sure I've got a soft spot for Hallucinogen's LSD as I've also got one for Infected Mushroom's Bust A move and sure Younger Brother's The Finger found a way there too and yes there are some others too. Well this one found its way there too, that's incredible, considering that I really haven't even heard it that many times yet, but I promise, I'll always bear this one with me, no matter where I go or what I become. That being said I'd say enough has been said about this tune.

"U.R. Beatiful" is another personal highlight of this album. The beginning sure stands for tribal. All the other things that are going on in the beginning, that's Shpongle in high tempo baby! I wouldn't actually even be that suprised if “Shpongle three” was to sound something similar to this. Can't remeber the name of the tune, I do remember that it's on the other of the two Hallucinogen albums, anyhow this one sort of reminds me of it. Maybe it's "Shakey Shaker"? or "Snarling Black Mabel", might actually be “Jiggle Of The Sphinx”. I don't know how my mind ever managed to find this track only mediocre, I mean it's fucking awesome! Gets the same treatment from my heart than the previous track. This is one of those tunes that you can end a party with. Will definetly make people remember it for the rest of their lives, wouldn't suprise me a bit if it somehow managed to write itself to the listeners dna. Benji is one twisted sound programmer! =)

"Long wave", it's the time now, but do take the trip again, as many times as you wish, 20€ will give you a lifetime pass. =)

Conclusion:
This being a Twisted records release and Benji being the other half of Younger Brother I expected this album to be nothing less than perfect. It was a hard ride. Loved it, started finding it boring, learned to love it in a new way. What can I say? It's more than perfect! Labels usually ship some info sheets with their promos, it’s usually one A4 full of cheesy lines glorifying the album or the artist. Well anyways this one sure came with the cheesiest line I’ve ever seen. It goes something like this “Prometheus aka Benji Vaughan like his namesake, has literally taken the music from the gods and delivered it to the dancefloor with his new album “Robot-O-Chan”. To tell the truth it doesn't sound that cheesy any longer..

10/10

ps. you are invited to check out the sound samples @ my webpage

pps. thank you twisted, thank you prometheus, truly wish all my best to you..
          "The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program."
- Larry Niven
Sputer
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  315
Posted : Nov 19, 2003 18:42
hopaaaaaaa.......... 10/10 ??

now i must get itttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt !~~~~!

20 january ??? fuckkkk.........           ..."Be yourself, let your conscience guide you...
Follow your heart, not the people around you"
Monarch_butterfly

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Nov 19, 2003 19:02
Man
Your review is.....gee! I need to finish my other book first.

-->Review soon (if I will like it)<--

PS great review traveller.
pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Nov 19, 2003 20:43
As always a very nice review from you traveller. Not always I agree, but taste differs, and it's great to see some people putting a lot of time and effort into their reviews.

Haven't heard the album yet, but it's on my list           DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Trip-
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  101
Posted : Nov 20, 2003 08:43
This is my most anticipated album of the year.... And I really hope that what you say here is what there is really to it.

cheers           Crackling universes dive into their own neverending crackle...
AgalactiA
wine drinking trancer

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Nov 23, 2003 17:13
i was listening to this one at traveller's place the other night. i must say that it fucking owns and prometheus is definetly the daddy. i guess you could say that it's a hallucinogen album with twisted records 2003 treatment. reminds me of that unusual suspects compilation. sound/mastering wise that is. reminds me of hallucinogen albums. athmosphere/music wise that is. bastard didn't give me a copy!
Mad Hatter

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Nov 23, 2003 17:54
blastin review as always traveller!
im always excited before a twisted release!
cant wait till 20th of jan... whats is benji's phone number???           .ONE.
Surrender
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  506
Posted : Nov 23, 2003 20:06
the only thing that is a pity like in the younger brother album :

02 Mekong Delta 07:41
03 Number Cruncher 08:09
04 Snakes & Ladders 08:18

have been released for a long time...

looking forward to this album, it is one of my most anticpated waits           "On the other hand, you have different fingers."
http://myspace.com/gadimon
traveller
IsraTrance Senior Member

Posted : Nov 23, 2003 20:21
as far as i know, two of those already released tunes were only released on 12" vinyl. how many of us really buy those? i don't even own a vinyl player..           "The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program."
- Larry Niven
Surrender
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  506
Posted : Nov 23, 2003 21:37
Quote:

On 2003-11-23 20:21, traveller wrote:
as far as i know, two of those already released tunes were only released on 12" vinyl. how many of us really buy those? i don't even own a vinyl player..

those of us who really like twisted           "On the other hand, you have different fingers."
http://myspace.com/gadimon
Alex Boshke
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  59
Posted : Nov 30, 2003 16:08
Without second thinking, its the best psychedleic trance i heard since... long time !!!
Very rare to have such music !
simply Amazing production!
Traveller's review says it all!
traveller
IsraTrance Senior Member

Posted : Nov 30, 2003 17:11
last nite i went drivin' just for fun. the album was playing and it was pretty foggy/rainy outside. i drove for an hour, had a cigarette break, kept on drivin'. at some point i realized that i had driven like 200 kilometers away from helsinki. so a cigarette break and back to the city. when i finally came back home it felt like i had been away for no more than fifteen minutes. funny how music can have such effect on me psytrance ala prometheus is something else..
          "The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program."
- Larry Niven
-Abatwa-
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  42
Posted : Dec 1, 2003 09:15
this one is a long awaited album for me. benji takes part to my favorite projects. the set in samo 03 was really nice also. after seeing prometheus always on compilations, this will be nice to listen to.           `Bottomless wonders spring from simple rules, which are repeated without end` Mandelbrot
traveller
IsraTrance Senior Member

Posted : Jan 25, 2004 18:53
so the time is pretty much upon. you better prepare yourselve for the psychedelic circus for it's in town! i must say that the last few months wouldn't have been the same with out this album here. it's a fucking must for umm everyone. now do yourselve a favour and visit the most fashionable site in the galaxy to check out the samples..           "The dinosaurs became extinct because they didn't have a space program."
- Larry Niven
-Abatwa-
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  42
Posted : Feb 14, 2004 13:34
why isnt this album still not released? its passed the date traveller gave as the released date. is there any problem?           `Bottomless wonders spring from simple rules, which are repeated without end` Mandelbrot
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Prometheus - Robot-O-Chan (Twisted)

1 2 3 4 5 Next Page →
First Page Last Page
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance