Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Various Artists – Psyinjection (Psytropic Records, 2005)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Various Artists – Psyinjection (Psytropic Records, 2005)

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Feb 2, 2005 20:35
Artist: Various
Title: Psyinjection
Label: Psytropic Records
Format: CD
Released: January 2005
Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/ptr1cd001_b.jpg

Review:

Psytropic Records is a new German-based label on the scene, and “Psyinjection” is their first release; A 10 track compilation with some, for me, interesting acts like NASA, BLT and Cosmic Tone – plus a bunch of new upcoming talents on the full on scene. Oh well, I’ll get to the point:

01. NASA – Delysid [137 BPM]
Opening the compilation is NASA, the one-man-project of Mikkel Rasmussen from Denmark, who made quite a mark on the minimal scene a few years ago with both NASA and his sideproject Gnome Effect. Lately his style has been a lot more energetic though, and “Delysid” is no exception. Though never getting stressful, it’s very dance friendly, quite psychedelic, and a nice progressive track to warm up for the full on mayhem to come.

02. Neelix – Colours [142 BPM]
Next up is german Neelix who, with his mixture of minimal and full on has gained some fans after the release of his debut album “Resident”. “Colours” is a totally new creation from him, and it starts with a quite unusual long vocal-sample concerning mp3-traders. Funny at first, but annoying after a few listens – and it’s a shame, since the rest of the track is pretty good, uplifting minimal trance.

03. Psynina – Stop That Killing [145 BPM]
“Stop That Killing” is the first track I’ve heard from the German newcomer Psynina, and it’s quite catchy for a debut. Using long german voice-samples, typical german grooves and big uplifting pads, she does her best to make something unique, but doesn’t really succeed in making stand out from the crowd.

04. Nova – Feel The Moment [145 BPM]
Nova picks up, and delivers the first of total 7 tracks coming from Israel. “Feel The Moment” is very straightforward, and to be quite frank it doesn’t stand out at all and sounds like a lot of other new full on artists coming out of Israel. Definitely a filler.

05. A.P.E. – Aeroponal Brain Damage [144 BPM]
A.P.E. is yet another Israeli newcomer and it stands for Advanced Psychedelic Energy. “Aoroponal Brain Damage” is more on the dark side compared to the first couple of tracks, and much more to my liking. I’m sure some will categorize this as dark psy, but to me it’s still full on for the nighttime, though without any really catchy characteristics.

06. Dozer & 40% - SPO (BLT Edit) [143 BPM]
Next up is a collaboration between Dozer (a sideproject of BLT) and 40% of Chemical Crew fame. I totally loved the BLT & Danni Makov album from 2004, but it’s no secret that I never really got the hype surrounding Chemical Crew, so I was a bit sceptic about this collaboration – but I was not disappointed. Less groovy percussion, and a bit more raw and full on sound than on the BLT & Danni Makov album, but still a definite highlight.

07. Elec3 – Paranormal Comes Alive [142 BPM]
Elec3 is yet another Israeli act, this time consisting of 3 guys – most noticeable is probably Igal Magitman, who recently released a progressive track on VP. This is pure Israeli full on though, but certainly not the worst kind: uplifting, melodic and with a very catchy theme.

08. Brain Damage – Virus Player [145 BPM]
“Virus Player” from the Israeli newcomer Brain Damage is a hard-hitting track, and once again more or less typical Israeli full on. I particularly found this track pretty stressful, and especially the very squeaky synths ala Beat Hackers annoyed me. The cowboy-samples was a funny touch though.

09. Ultravoice – Multi [145 BPM]
Ultravoice is one of the more well-known acts on this compilation, and with releases on labels like Utopia, Alchemy and Phonokol and 2 full albums on Com.Pact, he’s certainly one of the most experienced. I’ve never been a big fan of him, but “Multi” is actually one of his better creations; groovy, melodic and very dance friendly Com.Pact-style full on.

10. Cosmic Tone – I Want To Be There [143 BPM]
Finishing the compilation is Cosmic Tone, and to be honest I have very mixed feelings about this act. The first album “Overwhelming” was a deep, progressive journey, and one of the best albums to come out of Israel in 2003, but the followup “Going Solo” was a more into full on territory, and while the sound was very good, the album had absolutely no variation. “I Want To Be There” is a typical Cosmic Tone-track; the sound is very good, but there’s absolutely nothing new here. If you haven’t heard any Cosmic Tone material yet, I’ll bet you’ll like it though.

Bottom line:

With “Psyinjection” Psytropic Records have made a noteworthy entrance to the psytrance scene. I really find mixing full on and progressive interesting, but unfortunately it’s quite unbalanced - I would personally have left out a few of the full on fillers and put in some more psychedelic progressive. Overall a debut well above average from the new label though, but not really standing out in the endless crowd of Israeli full on releases – more die-hard Israeli full on fans will probably like it more than I did though. Hopefully they will continue the work, and develop a more unique and balanced mixture of styles in their releases in the future.

Thumbs up for the artwork by the way – I usually don’t like those 3D-graphics covers, but here it works pretty well.

Favourites:

1 (!!), 6 (!!), 7, 9

Verdict:

6,5/10

Links:

Psytropic Records: http://www.psytropic-records.com          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Jansive

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Feb 3, 2005 20:50
Artist: Various
Title: Psyinjection
Label: PsyTropic Records (http://www.psytropic-records.com)
Format: CD (Jewelcase)
Released: 20.01.2005
Tracks: 10
Time: 77:15 Minutes
Style: 30% Progressive morning 70% Full-On mixed
Cover: http://www.psytropic-records.de/psyinjection/PsyInjection_Cover.jpg

Special features:
The tracks are not called "Track 1,2,3..." - they are called "Injection 1,2,3..."
NICE IDEA !!!

Cover Review:

Absolutely fabulous effects with a lot of power, like the compilation itself. It is definately compareable to the content. A lot of nice "injections" ;-)

Compilation Review:

1. NASA - Delysid 137 BPM (8:57)

The talented and well-known Danish artist Mikkel opens "Psyinjection" with a kind of progressive night track. Nice FXs and deep analog sounds make this track really fat and shows the artist's experience in arranging musical events. With every minute "Delysid" gets more and more pressure and becomes a precious piece of the cd.

2. Neelix - Colours 142 BPM (7:48)

Neelix follows the progressive order with "Colours" and a bit more speed in this progressive track. Although sound- and arranging prooved since his album "Resident" he shows a big development in this track. It starts with a nice and funny english intro about "Sharing" products etc. Instantly a trancy and flashy melody comes up and nice atmos-pads gives the whole a structure. At 3:41 bongos introduce the turning in 4:07 of the track - and there Neelix shows his real face, as we all love this kind of progressive.

3. PsyNina - Stop That Killing 145 BPM (8:04)

PsyNina is as new to the scene as her unique style of fast progressive trance. An atmospheric intro characterizes this track and long spoken German-Samples support this feeling. (Normally I should not tell) but in 1:24 comes suddenly this strong baseline which provocates your listening. Some dreamy pads and fxs; What I personally liked very much, was the indian vocals in the mid of the track. A lot of psychedelic samples, vocals, twisted synths and melodies follows.

4. Nova - Feel The Moment 145 BPM (8:02)

A new talent from Israel shows his skills with "Feel the Moment". A star rising opens the track and nice twisted and distorted sounds start under a growling filtered baseline ! And then at 1:20 the whole pressure of the baseline kicks forward. Administrating percussion loops and sync-sounds characterizes the track until every point of turning where the track gets a new direction. "Feel the Moment" announces now the following full-on trakcs on "Psyinjection". It is a "warm-uper" and manipulator to your consciousness.

5. A.P.E. - Aeroponal Brain Damage 144 BPM (7:35)

An absolutely dark dark dark night killer track. Absolutely surprising elements and twisted Fxs. But the main feature of this track is pumping baseline and strucure. Nice female vocals and growls of beasts. At 3:05 the track's peak is reached where all the elements hit you ! After a small break where you reach for air you get again back in this mad-making patterns supported by attacking percussions. A real JOY !

6. Dozer & 40% - SPO (BLT Edit) 143 BPM (6:48)

BLT and 40% are really well-known names in the full-on scene and they really put it under proove in this track. It starts slowly and trippy. I like those baselines. Interesting percussion and synth-loops which
become more and more pressureful. At 3:18 "SPO" gets trancy and dreamful but still strong baseline underneath. A vocal-atmo supports the nice and warm feeling. At 4:33 the break defines a point where cool
delayed vocals come in and (for me) the real track starts its story (STORY !!!). I like this melody very much !

7. ELEC3 - Paranormal comes alive 142 BPM (6:53)

These two guys are a really nice choice ! Powerful baseline from the beginning followed by attractive sync-distorted synth-sounds. High elemnts round up the synth-patterns and give them new musical optics.
It always sounds different. Intelligent breaks with always new UP AND DOWNS !!! A real dancefloor-killer for outdoor parties !

8. Brain Damage - Virus Player 145 BPM (7:43)

"Virus Player" is hot !!! Damn - such a deep and powerful baseline blows your mind away ! It keeps you absolutely awake and flashes your mind. Nice filtered sounds put themselves into this mix of psychedlica
and dark night moves. Really funny "YIHAAA - sampels" completes these feelings. But the absolutely killer moment (for me much too short) is at 3:33. Hey this is awesome - a beautiful arranged and patterned melody with a real feeling for PsyTrance ingredient !

9. Ultravocie - Multi 145 BPM (7:16)

Ultravoice's "Multi" starts up like a small unimportant track - but only in the intro. At 0:40 a baseline comes from behind far, far away and results in a BIG punch at 0:55 and runs through the track until the end. Cool synths and percussion-effects. A really nice story that contains different skills and styles. Ultravoice shows up all his talent in "Multi". Dropping melodies into the ground and uplifting fxs into the air ! Absolutely dancefloor-killer.

10. Cosmic Tone - I want to be there 143 BPM (

You can say what you want about Cosmic Tone and their/his past tracks and albums. This is a smasher artist, who demonstrates with each released track his skills and potential to change like a chameleon. Like in this track - I heard a lot of Cosmic Tone and this is definately his smoothest and most emotional track with a lot of female vocals, synth patterns, soft and strong at the same time. The melody is gorgeous and fits perfectly. The falling and up-going long driffting pads gives a really airy atmosphere - and you wanna reloop this again and again in your head....

General:

To sum up this debut release of PsyTropic Rec. is definately killer compilation. It strikes completely in various styles and music impressions. And this happens all under the main theme "Psychedelic" music. The whole compilation is structured by the choice of artist (well known ones and a bunch of talented newcomers), the kind of music styles and stories. And the mastering by Triptych completes this full and warm sound of the compilation. We will see what this Label will bring up in the future !

Even the demos on http://www.psyshop.com are absolutely cool ! Have a listen. ;-)

It is one of the nicest pieces I listened to and I can only advice to support such a work by buying ! A must-buy !

Rating 9/10

Shops to buy:

WIRIKUTA:
http://www.wirikuta.at/web66/product_detail.jsp?showDetail=67548

TRANCE-SHOP:

http://www.trance-shop.com/de/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=473&products_id=4413

SAIKOSOUNDS:
http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=4552

PSYSHOP:
http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ptr/ptr1cd001.html

BEATSPACE:
http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=1674
ovnimoon
Ovnimoon

Started Topics :  63
Posted : Feb 3, 2005 21:43
HEY!!!! well, what can i say about this compilation... very good!!! psynina new act is very good!!! i like much, and ELEC3 TRACK for me is totally KILLA!!!! very great psybomb! for parties!!, i play 2 times here in chile the track of Elect 3 m and people is crazy...
and well, nice nice compilation!!!!!

hallo for everyone , love peace and lights!!!!!

ovnimoon
chile!
Thomas_PsyTropic_Records
Inactive User

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Feb 3, 2005 22:41
WOW !!!!

Thanks to Jansive for this great Review ! Really interesting how people impress the compilation.

Thanks to the wishes !

Best to you, my friends !

Kind regards,
Thomas           http://www.PsyTropic-Records.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Nobody is that lonesome than that one who cannot sleep"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.PsyBuy.com
Pure PsyTrance Mailorder & Distribu
Dj Edell
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  77
Posted : Feb 3, 2005 23:18
heya thomas my friend

this is one of amazing compilations that i heard in start of this year
elec3 track is braking
Nasa is somthing special
Brain Damage like all time killer
and Psynina is a new born of trance scene that borned in PsyTropic records(Good Luck Nina)

and good luck to u my dear friend Thomas with next compilations

BooM!!!           edell
Dj / PR / Booking
======================
www.magmarecords.it
www.party-people.me
Ms-Shy

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Feb 4, 2005 11:32
@ profane

I think Profane is the wrong person to write a review about a progressive or full-on compilation. ANY kind of compilation he was reviewing he ONLY puts out the lack of sound or bad things. I dont think this is the basic for a review. Some people may say this is his opinion and the true facts - but I dont agree to his review on Psyinjection and also I dont agree on other comments by profane - just read through: he always mentions what is NOT GOOD... :-(
Or to write something like this:
"...like a lot of other new full on artists coming out of Israel..." <--- for me a real mistake. How can somebody write something like this IF THIS sound comes from Israel and is a main fact of our psytrance - culture ? Na na na !
So this brings the fact that he maybe should only write articles about Dark Psy or any other kind of music but about full-on or progressive or any other style you can give a name.
THIS IS MY OPINION.

I bought the CD and I was amazed by this mixture of tracks and selection. Good work !

I agree to Jansive - "A must buy" piece !

Krell
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  33
Posted : Feb 7, 2005 15:48
To Ms-Shy

Opinions are like assholes, everybodies got them So they say in the movie platoon, and its so true.

I myself prefer people review music they like -Reviews, for me, is for finding music I like, for not for finding music I dont like.
Not everything in this review is negative, and 6.5 isnt that bad a rating, since the scale goes to 1 I presume.

Hehe, I couldnt help but laugh (in a friendly manner) to this comment

"So this brings the fact that he maybe should only write articles about Dark Psy or any other kind of music but about full-on or progressive or any other style you can give a name.
THIS IS MY OPINION. "

Pr0fane - Who is one of my best friends in real life, almost always falls asleep when I put on some Dark Psy - I mean, chillout, that keeps him awake...
The last thing youd want pr0fane to write reviews on is dark psy, at least if you want something positive

Respect peoples opinions, like we do yours - I mean, just because pr0fane says so, doesnt make it so - and you know that Everybody else, will know so too

If you want to be taken serious, as a reviewer, you will need to be honest in what you write. It would be soooo much easier just to be overly positive about everything, even if you didnt like it.

So, understanding the reviewers taste in music, is the key to understanding what the review means for you

Best wishes

Krell
          Label DJ>
www.jesterrecords.ca
Ms-Shy

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Feb 17, 2005 10:00
@ Krell:

I think the people who write about the things they DONT LIKE did not understand the prupose of a review. And I am not talking about lying or telling the untruth - NO !

I am speaking about that a review should SHOW WHAT IS GOOD !
Otherwise the reviewer should not write anything about it. And even if his opinion is: "i dont like track xy" then he should better write WHAT HE LIKED !

And thats the thing what I understand for a review. And everybody who understands my words will agree with me.

And to quote dialogues from "war movies" are 0/10 rating ;-)

Peace
pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Feb 17, 2005 13:29
No Ms-Shy, a review should certainly not only show what is good about a release - This is NOT the promotional section. I am just your average music-listener, and I have always said what I found good and bad in my reviews, and as long as I don't break the guidelines of the forum, I don’t really see why anyone should dictate what I write.

I think it's great that you liked the compilation, but then please spend some time writing a review, pointing out what YOU liked about it. I would prefer if we could stick to the topic, and discuss the specific CD, not reviewing reviews

If you want a serious discussion about reviews I suggest you start a new topic about it           DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Thomas_PsyTropic_Records
Inactive User

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Feb 25, 2005 23:57
First of all thanks a lot for the vast interest in the compilation and the comments.

I think every poster is right to publish his own opinion and comment - so every constructive posting is great !

Keep up the nice reviews and take care !

Thomas
psyreviews
IsraTrance Full Member
Started Topics :  71
Posted : Mar 1, 2005 23:58
Various
PsyInjection
Psytropic (Germany)

I’ve been enjoying this a lot the last couple of weeks. Label manager Thomas Vitali (aka Chemicus) is a f*ing good guy, and on the evidence of this he’s pretty sound when it comes to compiling an album as well. Nasa kicks off with Delysid, a wonderful prequel which starts out with almost nothing, morphs it into a groove, then warms it up nicely. Things get moving properly with Colours from good old Neelix, who it’s nice to see back, doubly so with this. It opens, smoothly and with bags of character and confidence so you know it’s going to be a good’un. Smooth progressive is the order of the day, with a middle break that sounds a little like Knight Rider before tying it all together and riding it on out to the end. Psynina’s Stop That Killing is a wonderfully well-produced piece of progressive psychedleia, with escalating sounds all perfectly-l ayered, creating a gorgeous impression of space, suggesting a dip towards fullon that it desists form follwing. Nova’s Feel The Moment is a bouncy, spacey tune with a sparse groove at the bottom end, and a midsection melody that evolves well through the tune. APE’s Aeroponal Brain Damage is, as its name might suggest, harder and moodier, building up shifting patterns and morphing them around underneath you, before dropping into a satisfying and mulchy run. Dozer & 40%’s SPO starts out smooth and proggy, and seems to fall into a very uber-melodic midsection that renders it only really suitable for that particular morning slot; though it will, of course, work well on progressive clubby dancefloors. Elec3’s Paranormal Comes Alive is very tasty – clean, fluid fullon with a hint of progressive and icily cool production, the sounds all come together perfectly and when they cascade outwards for the final run, it’s dazzlingly impressive. Effective, solid, this will definitely get the da ncefloor moving. Yum. Brain Damage’s Virus Player has a gnarlier edge to it, and keeps the topend melodies nicely juxtaposed for the most part, before some fairly dodgy keychanges in the midsection. Dropped at the right time though, this will work a treat: that balance between gnarl and melody is powerful. Ultravoice’s Multi has been on heavy rotation chez psyreviews lately, it’s a wonderful example of how less can be more. Not many different sounds across it, but the way they move and progress into this knees-aloft stomper is a delight, and the drop is one of the best I’ve heard in a while. Finally Cosmic Tone close the album in the style they are wont to do, and it works well here with a nice morning anthem to bring the album back to earth. It’s rare for a compilation to work like a journey, but all the bases are covered here. The progressive tunes are great, the fullon tunes are tasty, and even the more menacing one’s not bad, and as such this represents good value for money from a label who we fully expect to go on to great things.

- - - - - -

http://www.psyreviews.com
Mike A
Subra

Started Topics :  185
Posted : Apr 8, 2005 13:55
http://www.isratrance.com/www/reviews/show_review_details.php?show=754

enjoy
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Apr 8, 2005 14:45
Decent compilation. Nothing more to be said. Like this style? Get it. Oh yeah, and the quote: "Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one" is actually from the first Dirty Harry movie if I'm not mistaken, and that movie is by far older than Platoon. So they took it from Dirty Harry obviously           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Various Artists – Psyinjection (Psytropic Records, 2005)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance