Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Various Artists - Outsider (Plastik Park, 2005)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Various Artists - Outsider (Plastik Park, 2005)

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : May 12, 2005 19:29
Artist: Various
Title: Outsider (compiled by DJ Tati)
Label: Plastik Park
Format: CD (Jewelcase with standard 4-page inlay)
Released: May, 2005
Cover: http://www.trance-shop.com/de/catalog/images/large/V.A.%20-%20Outsider%20(PPCD).jpg

Review:

After 2 years of hibernation Plastik Park returned last year with DJ’s D-Nox and Tobias Bayer in front, and released the compilation "Reloaded", which was followed by the long awaited and stunning follow-up to the 2002 Sunset Records classic "Prooved". With the summer season just ahead, Plastik Park is now ready with "Outsider" - their 3rd CD-release after the re-opening, compiled by the female Brazilian label DJ Tati, and with a promising selection of sunshine grooves from well-established artists and new talents.

1. Igal M – I Still Like It
Israeli rising star Igal Magitman, also known by some as being a part of the full on project Elec3, provide the Opener "I Still Like It". With "Fall In Green" on VP’s "Inspirazzia" he caught me by surprise, and this is almost just as good, although the melodies aren’t as catchy. A gentle, atmospheric tune, with a slightly uplifting atmosphere - perhaps a bit to mellow for most dancefloors, but certainly a delicate track for home listening.

2. James Benitez – Not Over Yet (Deep Abyss Mix)
Things get a lot deeper with the Deep Abyss Mix of James Benitez’ "Not Over Yet". This is the first track I hear from James Benitez (which apparently is the pseudonym of George Apostolakis), and it’s quite a turn on. Building on a simple groove the atmosphere is quite gloomy until the arrival of a sweet subtle melody. Very effective.

3. Kasey Taylor & Chris Meehan – Simplicity (Parham & Dominic Plaza Remix)
Late in 2004, the sizzling hot duo Kasey Taylor and Chris Meehan released "Simplicity", and with a stunning epic theme it is perhaps one of their best creations to date. On the flipside there was an almost equally amazing remix by Parham & Dominic Plaza, and this has now been brought to CD. Featuring the same uplifting theme as the original, though slightly more in the background due to a hard-hitting techish groove – this remix is sure to both cause mayhem on the dancefloors, and be appreciated by the sofa listeners.

4. Vision & Canedy - Laguna
"Laguna" is quite a trademark Vision & Canedy creation, with some very tight and sharp percussion, and with a typical Vision & Canedy bassline. The track is a bit too shallow though, the percussion seems a bit too static and there are no real highlights or distinct sounds to really make it shine. Compared to most of the other Vision & Canedy material, I consider it one of their most mediocre creations to date.

5. Fitalic – Control Your Mind
One of my favourites from "Prooved 2" was the bouncy "Bustanovice" by the dutch duo Fitalic (although, like on the other releases I own from them, only one of them, Robin Fitter is credited in the inlay) . "Control Your Mind" somewhat fallows the same formula – a very bouncy bassline, very distinct tribal influences and very positive vibes from the first to the last second.

6. D-Nox & Beckers – You’re A Star
Space Safari member Frank Beckers and Plastik Park labelmanager/DJ D-Nox gather forces on "You're A Star", a happy, bouncy smilebringer with a very catchy groove. Like a lot of the later releases from Beckers it also features a vocal-sample, chopped up and creatively looped – but where it worked very well in "Switch", it’s over the top in "You’re A Star", and I consider it a major drawback an otherwise funky and catchy tune.

7. Eelke Kleijn & Rutger van Bostelen – Remind Me
The talented young Dutch producer Eelke Kleijn is yet another act who also appeared on "Prooved 2", and here he teams up with countryman Rutger van Bostelen on the energetic "Remind Me". The melodies are pretty straightforward, and not as subtle as on most of the other tracks here, but it works pretty well, and with its catchy and very dancefriendly groove it’s a highlight that will surely work wonders on the floor.

8. Shaman – C U Groove
Swedish forest-master Shaman close the compilation with a track, that is certainly the closest to the old Plastik Park roots in the progressive psytrance scene. To me it perhaps seems a bit misplaced, but never the less it’s a quite special track, with a mixture of sunny progressive house and classic progressive forest trance. The "C U Groove" vocal-sample is slightly annoying at the first few listens, but actually the track has grown on me a lot, and the almost naďve melodic peak does bring a smile to my face.

Bottom line:

"Outsider" is another smashingly groovy compilation from Plastik Park, that yet again marks them as one of the best labels for bringing progressive house/progressive psy crossover summer music. Overall the standard is slightly below the massive "Prooved 2" (I know I’ve compared the two a lot of times in this review already ), but if you’re looking for some progressive music for the upcoming summer outdoor parties, I'm certain you’ll find a few gems on this one.

Good release. Not essential, but certainly money well spent.

Favourites:

1, 2, 3(!!), 5, 7

Verdict:

7,5/10

Link:

Plastik Park: http://www.plastikpark.com          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Aug 3, 2005 20:32
Strange that people seem to prefer other progressive releases over this. I think the progressive releases by Plastik Park so far: Reloaded, Prooved Vol. 2 and this are excellent. They provide a good crossover between the two progressive styles, psytrance progressive and mainstream progressive artists. This compilation here is just excellent and deserves two thumbs up. Tracks 1 & 2 are really great and the rest is fine as well.           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
Willy Wonka
Inactive User

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Aug 4, 2005 17:23
James Benitez and Kasey Taylor & Chris Meehan (Parham & Dominic Plaza Remix) are my picks.
Igal.M still need work, muscially wise, not that mature music. Thou he has future!
Zombi
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  375
Posted : Aug 4, 2005 17:31
class cd, get it and enjoy !           Believe your soul !
tokyoeye

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Aug 5, 2005 13:50
Very great release.....I prefer this one, all tracks are very plaisant

I was disappointed about Prooved Vol. 2...

Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Various Artists - Outsider (Plastik Park, 2005)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance