Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Various Artists - Origin - Stage 3 (Nano Records, February 2007)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Various Artists - Origin - Stage 3 (Nano Records, February 2007)

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Feb 3, 2007 13:14
Artist: Various
Title: Origin - Stage 3
Label: Nano Records
Format: CD
Released: February 2007
Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/nar1cd015_b.jpg

Review:

Nano Records has been among my favourite full on labels since their first compilation "Emergence", and based partly in South Africa, partly in the UK, they've built a solid reputation among many other DJ's and partygoers. The newest release from the label is "Origin - Stage 3" - a 9 track soundtrack for the annual Origin festival held in South Africa, featuring a couple of the artists performing at the festival, and compiled by DJ Ans.

01. The Egg - Angel Of My Soul (Allaby Remix) [140 BPM]
First up is UK's biggest talent at the moment in my opinion, Allaby, with a remix for "Angel Of My Soul", originally found on The Egg's album "Forwards". Despite not having lots of tracks released so far, Allaby has already appeared on labels like Twisted, Nano, Spiral Trax, Alchemy and Neurobiotic, and he gave a stellar liveset at last years Sonica. His sound can best be described as a mixture of progressive and full on - relentless, pumping drives, but still with a sophisticated sense of buildup and progression, and this remix is no exception. Classy tune.

02. Laughing Buddha - Lightning Games [143 BPM]
Laughing Buddha is another artist from the UK - a long time psychedelic trance producer with releases on labels like Transient, RTTS, Flying Rhino, Dragonfly, TIP.World and the original TIP. Compared to the opener he turns up the psychedelia-meter a little notch, adding a dose of quirkiness, yet still maintaining a good amount of dancefloor appeal. If you liked his tune on "God Save The Machine", you'll probably like this one as well.

03. A Commercial Hippie and The Electric Ant - Electric Hippy [140 BPM]
Anton Raubenheimer, half of the The Commercial Hippies duo, teams up with Ans aka The Electric Ant on "Electric Hippy". It brings back some of the slightly progressive-influenced sounds and grooves, relying on quite subtle melodic tricks in the first half, before going into a more acid-tinged finale. Not among the most distinct tracks on the compilation, but certainly a good tune on its own.

04. Tristan - Depends On You (AMD Remix) [140 BPM]
Next up is Aphid Moon and Dickster (of Green Nuns fame) remixing "Depends On You" from Tristans upcoming album "Chemisphere". I haven't heard the original version yet, but this remix is certainly a massive outdoor festival-anthem, providing a solid wall of groove and Tristan-trademark well-chosen voice-samples. Huge track - also look out for AMD's upcoming album "Big Fish", which is equally good and pumping.

05. The Commercial Hippies - Queggestion Box [145 BPM]
The full The Commercial Hippies team is up next with "Queggestion Box", and fans of their debut album "If You Can't Stand The Heat" will feel right at home here. It's still as uplifting and funky as back then, yet with a slightly deeper and tougher approach than most of the stuff on their album. I found their album among the best psychedelic releases in 2006, so this is definitely right up my alley as well.

06. Zen Mechanics - Disco Pixie [142 BPM]
"Disco Pixie" is by the dutch rising star Zen Mechanics, whose productions so far has been featured on such diverse labels as Neurobiotic, Flow, Iboga, Dance N Dust, Crystal Matrix and Aleph Zero. Compared to the majority of the tracks on this compilation, he's providing a more typical full on morning sound, but fused with some great grooves and a huge breakdown, it works very well though. Good stuff.

07. Headroom - Artelligent [142 BPM]
Headroom has definitely turned some heads with his releases so far - funky and intelligent seems to be the best keywords to describe his music, and the aptly titled "Artelligent" is another great example of his sound. It has wacky breakdowns and very creative use of voice-samples, plus some of the quirkiness that categorized Rinkadink a few years back. Not your everyday rolling full on monster, but great sense of groove and funk that'll surely get the dancefloor moving.

08. Hydrophonic - Heckyl'n Jive [142 BPM]
Nano label-owner Regan and his brother Gareth Tacon is back with their project Hydrophonic on "Heckyl'n Jive". They released an album back in 2004, but haven't released much stuff since then, but it seems like they've kept the high standard from back then. Solid, pumping morning track.

09. Eskimo & Madcap - Take A Look Out There (Flip-Flop Remix) [143 BPM]
Last track is a remix of Eskimo's "Take A Look Out There", from his second full-length album with the same title. Behind the remix we find Flip-Flop - a relatively new duo from the UK, with sideprojects such as Hemi-Sync and Touch Tone - and this remix is really a storming end to the compilation. Starting out pretty anonymously, but after the theme from the original emerges in the breakdown, it's high-quality full on all the way. Great stuff.

Bottom line:

Nano Records certainly starts 2007 in top form. "Origin - Stage 3" is full of full on goodies, delivering a good dose of very positive dancefloor oriented daytime and morning music, but without falling to the über-cheesy melodic themes and rave-pads. The quality is very consistent, and none of the tracks are even remotely bad, so I can only say that I'm very pleased with the overall result. In short, this is definitely the best full on compilation I've heard for quite a while, and it's probably my favourite Nano compilation since "Natural Selection".

Highly recommended.

Favourites:

1 (!!), 4 (!!), 5, 6, 7, 9.

Verdict:

8,5/10

Links:

Nano Records: http://www.nanorecords.co.uk           DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
full_on
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  279
Posted : Feb 3, 2007 16:50
Great review, pr0fane. Now I'll have to check it.

The Nano Team (AMD, the Hippies, Zen Mechanics and Headroom, etc) is delivering high-end music, they're the favorites of the Brasília/Goiania crowd accordly to a pool done in the end of the year.
Thanks for the review.
Respect!           .
...Be gentle with the earth...
...Dance like nobody's watching...
...I don't mind not going to Heaven, as long as they've got Coffee in Hell...
Ah-sid

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Feb 3, 2007 22:50
nano guyz never fails to impress their fans.....xtremly good trak selection.this is the first compilation wich is filled with afternoon full on trax....new genre of full-on soundz for the sunny afternoon by the beach.........goa here i come : )
Kundalini
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  63
Posted : Feb 4, 2007 18:20
Quote:

On 2007-02-03 22:50, Ah-sid wrote:
nano guyz never fails to impress their fans.....

very good compilation it is still the begining of the year but this , will be one of the best VAs my opinion none of the tracks disapointed me, which usually dont happen to me and to more of the listeners probably Nano rocks... waiting for the upcoming albums from the label

P.S. pr0fane,very good review as usuall
           - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
http://www.facebook.com/nicokundalini
https://soundcloud.com/dj-kundalini
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
MorNinG MaGiC

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Feb 4, 2007 20:57
Quote:

Bottom line:

Nano Records certainly starts 2007 in top form. "Origin - Stage 3" is full of full on goodies, delivering a good dose of very positive dancefloor oriented daytime and morning music, but without falling to the über-cheesy melodic themes and rave-pads. The quality is very consistent, and none of the tracks are even remotely bad, so I can only say that I'm very pleased with the overall result. In short, this is definitely the best full on compilation I've heard for quite a while, and it's probably my favourite Nano compilation since "Natural Selection".

Highly recommended.

AMEN

pr0fane <--- kikass review my frnd once again
keep em cummin as alwayz

NANO RECS. have come wid a BOMB dis time arnd .. and such a fine quality release i have so much hopes now of thr upcoming albumz ..>

TRAX NO. 4 THE AMD RMX is off the rooofffff ...!
its like an anthem , a tune of so much diversity n beautiful vibez jus xpresses the thght tht muzik may not be faster n higher ordered bpms to make it enjyable n beautiful its crazy to describe the feelin of hearin it ..!

i love the VA in totality ... its brilliant Dj Ans has complied such a smooth album tht its possible to njy it all over ..! thx once again NANO RECS.. for showin the way in quality full on genre for those beautiful day lite stompings ..! keepin the shit melodic cheeze crap out which is been played out thr ..!

all the best for the future guys ... respekt luv n lite ...
n a big hearty BOoOOm ..>!
PS: CANT WAIT FOR TRISTAN'S ALBUM AND AMD'S ALBUM NOW
squirm
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  254
Posted : Feb 5, 2007 08:06
have been hearing this compilation all day and its some nice mellow stuff. great for home listening. headroom and hydrophonic present great stuff. same with allaby track. even liked the flip flop rmx. big boom to nano and all the artists involved.
-angad           www.soundcloud.com/ishikawa
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.phonix-records.com
www.mixcloud.com/ishikawa/
wsantos
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  16
Posted : Feb 14, 2007 18:42
thxxxx very much Nano Records!!!!

awesome comp. !!!

it's so f**king killer!! all my favourits artists from fullon at moment!!!

really nice one
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Various Artists - Origin - Stage 3 (Nano Records, February 2007)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance