Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Various Artists - Lift Off (Hyperflow, December 2005)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Various Artists - Lift Off (Hyperflow, December 2005)

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Dec 28, 2005 14:27
Artist: Various
Title: Lift Off - A Journey Into Psychedelia - compiled by Diogo
Label: Hyperflow
Format: CD (Jewelcase with standard 4-page inlay)
Released: December, 2005
Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/hfl1cd001_b.jpg

Review:

After 5 years with progressive psytrance as the primary focus, the Portuguese label Flow Records, has entered a new era. While the main label Flow Records continue as before with Pena behind the wheel, two side labels has been opened: Flow Vinyl for progressive house releases on vinyl, and Hyperflow with psychedelic full on releases, with Pena collaborating with Diogo Gomes - also known as label-manager for the progressive house/trance label Feed Me Records.

The compilation "Lift Off" is the first release on Hyperflow, containing 9 tracks compiled by Diogo - tracks from both well-established artists, and a few upcoming producers.

01. Broken Toy - Uh Oh [144 BPM]
First track is from the South African artist Broken Toy, who previously this year released his debut album on Alchemy Records. The ICQ-inspired "Uh Oh" is another quite good tune from him, starting with some slightly corny ICQ-sounds and bouncy bassline, before kicking in with a mean, full-throttle pounding bassline in the middle section. Fine, joyful daytime track - although not the best from the Broken Toy.

02. Basic - Basic Technologies [145 BPM]
Basic is a rather new duo from Israel, with one of the members previously being involved in the duo Diablo. "Basic Technologies" is their 3rd release, and has a very bright and morning-oriented sound. The sound is also rather cheap and plastic-sounding to my ears though, it has a quite annoying repeated voice-sample, and I must say it didn't leave a big impression overall. One of the weaker tracks on the compilation.

03. Elec3 - Exchange [145 BPM]
Roman Brisker and Igal Magitman from Israel are starting to get noticed in the progressive house and trance circuits, but in the psytrance scene they are wider known under the name Elec3. Here they are featured with "Exchange", which is quite groovy (actually the groove is very similar to the one in their "Lost Souls" house-tune released on Digital Oracle earlier this year - pitched up to 145 BPM of course), yet still with a very energetic drive. Nice dance floor track.

04. ManMadeMan - Cromatic (2005 Edit) [145 BPM]
The UK duo ManMadeMan has been around almost since the beginning of the psychedelic trance scene, but I can't say it's an act that ever really appealed to me. The 2005 edit of "Cromatic" is an ok track though - it doesn't sound too generic, and contains a nice mix of the dark and the light; on one hand it's quite twisted, with noisy aggressive synths, but on the other hand bright pads and subtle uplifting melodies bring a hint of sunshine.

05. Bio-Tonic - Just A Dream (Black Series Pt2) [146 BPM]
With 3 album-releases on Solstice records, Bio-Tonic is definitely among the most prominent French acts on the psytrance scene. "Just A Dream" is apparently the 2nd track in their "Black Series", but I didn't find anything black about it to be honest - it's pure morning stuff, catchy, yet maybe a bit too heavy on voice-samples. Ok track, but doesn't really stand out in my opinion.

06. Aphid Moon - Protocol [145 BPM]
Aphid Moon was the man behind one of the most pleasant surprises on the full on scene for me this year, the album "Global Culture" released on Nano. "Protocol" is another great track from him, consisting of some really tasty and uplifting pads, some well-chosen, though overused "I, Robot" samples, and a really dance floor pleasing drive. Good stuff.

07. Man With No Name - String Theory [143 BPM]
The legendary Martin Freeland aka Man With No Name is up next with my personal highlight on the compilation. "String Theory" is basically your everyday Man With No Name track - an epic, engaging highly atmospheric tune with a totally relentless, straightforward drive, as this is completely devoid of those disturbing breaks every 30 seconds we've come accustomed to in modern full on. This is pure high energy trance - marvellous.

08. Rinkadink And Mike Modular - Blacklight Star [145 BPM]
The wacko South African producer Rinkadink teams up with his countryman Mike Modular on "Blacklight Star". It's a bit more pumping than the last few tracks I've heard from him, with less focus on the funk and humour, and more on the rolling bassline and energetic leads. It's still a great track though, and still has that liberating and not-to-serious Rinkadink touch, which, to me, is one of the strong points of his music.

09. Dizzy Mind – Scream For More [145 BPM]
The final track is from one of Brazils most promising young talents, Dizzy Mind, and with releases on labels like Spun, TIP.World and Mind Control Records, he has already achieved more than most Israeli teenagers can only dream about. "Scream For More" has a very Spun-influenced sound to me, meaning cheesy "hands-in-the-air" hardtrance-like leads, which might go down well on a dancefloor, but doesn't really appeal to me. I also think the overused "Fight Club" samples where unnecessary, and overall the track didn't do much to me.

Bottom line:

With "Lift Off", Flows entry will surely be noticed by a lot on the full on scene. Like most of the releases on the flooded market at the moment, it's overall quite morning oriented, but the general quality of the tunes inside isn't as mediocre as the general market standard. For home listeners it's a fine release, but like most full on releases, it has better use on the dance floor, where it will surely be used by plenty of DJ's in the coming months.

Good release overall, yet it doesn't quite reach the same level as the best releases from labels like Nano, Neurobiotic, Exposure and Alchemy.

Favourites:

1, 3, 6 (!), 7 (!!), 8

Verdict:

7/10

Link:

Hyperflow Records: http://www.hyperflowrecords.com          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
..::PsySacred::..
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  21
Posted : Jan 3, 2006 01:44
when i saw a new man with no name's trak in this compilation..my eyes going to explosion ...and my ears cant waiting for hear this one ..yes finally new track from as said before from pr0fane Legendary Martin Freeland is here..very nice track..also good compilation aphid moon's track is nice and good track from my friends igal and roman aka elec3 keep going guys ..but my highlight here is Man With No Name -String Theory...i hope his next album will be out in 2006..and he bring smile into my face again ...
my fav : 1,3,5(!),6(!).7(!!!!!),8,
and at the end thnx to pr0fane for nice review
respect.
guy cohen
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  417
Posted : Jan 20, 2006 14:18
Hi All !

Hyperflow Records is the sub-fullon label of Flow records and Lift Off is the first release of this promising label.
All these nine tracks selected carefully by Pena & Diego.

1. Broken Toy - uh oh
The track beginging with nice playing which turn this one to "soft" direction, not like most of Broken Toy's tracks. I find here some good groove and happy atmosphere for a change, it's will be a wonderfull moment to see the sun shining with the background of this track. A really massive opening if you ask me.

2. Man With No Name - string theory
MWNN back with a brand new tune. This man always remind me that the goa vibe is alive and kicking ! full of psychedelic elements and unique atmosphere with beautifull melodies and fast tempo.
Way to go !

3. ManMadeMan - chromatic 2005 edit
No more cheezy full-on, it's time to some psychedelic trance. Crazy style without any special building, just let the beats lead you to another planet - the hallucinate planet.

4. Elec3 - exchange
Igal and Roman show us their full-on face and do it good actually. They create a special style with a lot of fun elements, great flow and pumping kick like always. The goal of this track is to move the body with a big smile and good feeling and trust me thats what usually happen

5. Rinkadink - nutron star
The crazy guy from S. Africa releases his new materials here and prove us one more time - expect to the un-expected. This powerfull kick always make me dig and all those playings just make this dig deeper and deeper. Rinkadink - not just for the kick

6. Bio-Tonic - just a dream(black series pt2)
After 20 seconds of mysreious vocals the story is start. Here there are less happiness & playings and more attention for the track it-self. The amazing tone which start on 03:40 really doing the job and add more emotions. This is not the kind of tracks, which get the "hit" definition but defently an excellent choise for a good trip.

7. Aphid Moon - protocol
Another psychedelic experience. This style is so different from most of the music nowadays - almost no brakes, no singing and all this crap, just a pure trance music with those complicated effects and melodies.

8. Basic - basic technologies
Before the end, it's time to have some taste from the Israeli full-on of 2 talentend guys : Shahar Fahima & Benny Risher. Please remmember what I say now - this project will burn many dance floors this year with his excellent sound & powerfull style. All the connection between them and the Israeli full-on style is their origin keep your eyes open for the upcoming leading project.

9. Dizzy Mind - scream for more
This track is a sophisticated full-on track - many danceable elements and games with the baseline. I really like the start of the track, the rest is just an avarage full on.

http://www.hyperflowrecords.com
http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/hfl/hfl1cd001.html
Steve00
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  16
Posted : Jan 25, 2006 19:42
Very nice reviews guys, I'm agree with mostly of you comments, for me the Aphid Moon, MWNN & ManMadeMan fill the CD already . .
billy ambulance
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  43
Posted : Mar 5, 2006 10:56
Im holding this cd right now which is pretty good but i got confused with the track list because the list on the cover is different than the list on the Cd.
till now i really like tracks 1& 2.
pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Mar 5, 2006 12:31
Quote:

On 2006-03-05 10:56, billy ambulance wrote:
Im holding this cd right now which is pretty good but i got confused with the track list because the list on the cover is different than the list on the Cd.
till now i really like tracks 1& 2.

The list on the CD is the correct one.           DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Various Artists - Lift Off (Hyperflow, December 2005)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance