Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Various Artists - Floating Point 3 (Sofa Beats/Iboga, February 2006)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Various Artists - Floating Point 3 (Sofa Beats/Iboga, February 2006)

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Feb 25, 2006 21:34
Artist: Various
Title: Floating Point 3 - compiled by Michael Banel
Label: Sofa Beats/Iboga
Format: CD (Jewelcase with standard 4-page inlay)
Released: February, 2006
Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/sfb1cd003_b.jpg

Review:

After establishing themselves as one of the most important labels on the progressive psytrance scene, Iboga Records last year launched a new chillout/ambient sidelabel called Sofa Beats. Over the years, Iboga had already released a number of chilled releases, like the infamous "New Entry", and the first two chapters in the "Floating Point" series - but where Iboga was mainly focusing on the trancier side of the scene the new sidelabel is strictly downbeat.

The 2nd release from Sofa Beats (the catalogue-number says it's the 3rd, but number 2, the Oliver Jones album, hasn't been released yet) is the 3rd chapter in the "Floating Point" saga. Let's give it a spin.

01. Bluetech - Wilderness
First track is from North Americas Bluetech, who recently released his new album "Sines and Singularities". The overall atmosphere in "Wilderness" is quite cold, the track is well-produced, and I really like some of the rather weird twists and effects. That being said, I don't consider it among Bluetechs strongest releases.

02. Koan - Sirens
Koan is the chillout-sideproject of the Russian duo Vacuum Stalkers, and an act whose underground releases I've been following quite closely lately. Their recent "When Invisible Becomes Visible" MP3-EP was of really high quality, and "Sirens" is pretty good as well. The atmosphere is pretty close to the cold breeze in the first track by Bluetech, but with stronger melodies, really lush pads and waves and more distinct asian influences. Really nice.

03. Crowd Control - Little Haiti
"Little Haiti" is a somewhat Reggae-influenced dubby tune with somewhat strange female vocals and deep male voice-samples. It's made by Crowd Control from Denmark, and just like their appearance on second "Floating Point" compilation, I consider this the weakest track on the compilation. It's not downright bad, but to me it does sound rather messy - like they had to put too many ideas into the pot.

04. Aural Planet - Sunfruits Avenue (Sundial Remix)
Sundial is a new act by Alex Kochman from Poland, and he's up next with a remix of "Sunfruits Avenue", that appeared on Ultimaes "Fahrenheit Project Part Five" compilation - originally made by himself as part of Aural Planet. I haven't heard the original, but this version is right down my alley - with silky smooth, larger-than-life trancy pads, gentle breaks and subtle teasing melodies. Very enjoyable.

05. Alex Scheffer - Under Your Mind
French Alex Scheffer, perhaps better known as Cell, is up next with "Under Your Mind", and in mood it continue down the same road as the "Sunfruits Avenue" remix, although maybe a bit deeper, reminiscent of an underwater journey. The atmosphere is quite laidback, with only a few 4/4 kicks and simple, yet stunningly effective melodies pushing the track forward. Definitely one of the best tracks I've ever heard by Alex Scheffer/Cell.

06. Shen - Cloud Theory
Shen is the chilled sideproject by the widely acclaimed Canadian techno-producer Noah Pred, and "Cloud Theory" is the first downbeat release I've heard from him. While it perhaps isn't the most catchy of the tracks here, it certainly doesn't fail either - without an abundance of pads, he still manages to make a very mysterious and gloomy atmosphere, and I consider it one of the most interesting tunes here, although not among the very best.

07. Seahorse Transform - Paradime Warp
Seahorse Transform is, to me, a completely unknown act - behind the project is Danish Simon Jagd, and he's already signed for an album on Sofa Beats later this year. With "Paradime Warp" he leads the compilation in a direction more towards ethnic chillout, and it's generally an ok track, with a cosy oriental market-atmosphere.

08. Sundial - Azure Aquarings
"Azure Aquarings" is the compilations 2nd offering from Polish Alex Kochmans new Sundial project, and although it doesn't quite match the first one, it's a very good tune. While the melodies perhaps aren't as strong as in the first one, the mood is quite optimistic, and it is surely another very enjoyable track.

09. Alex Scheffer - Sparkley Area
Alex Scheffer aka Cell is up next with his 2nd track on the compilation, the nicely sounding "Sparkley Area". Like "Under Your Mind", it is also built on steady, yet never forceful 4/4 beats, and the atmosphere is deep and dreamy in a not-too bright way. A very good track, although not as aesthetic as "Under Your Mind", and my expectations are now pretty high for the upcoming Cell and Alex Scheffer albums.

10. True To Nature - Ghetto
The Danish house-duo True To Nature, consisting of some of the Danish scenes, most well-known DJ's, Jokke Ilsøe and Tom Von Rosen, provide a somewhat surprising dancefloor-oriented track, "Ghetto". I was expecting something a bit more chilled, but I can't deny that this is a deep, emotional and utterly beautiful progressive house track - it runs at 125 BPM, and is both dancefriendly, as well as loaded with magnificent soundscapes for the chillout. Just delicious.

11. True To Nature Feat. Tusnelda - Subside
True To Nature carry on with housey beats in the last track as well, this time teaming up with Tusnelda, who some might remember for her brilliant collaboration with Rumpistol on "Floating Point 2". "Subside" also runs at approximately 125, and is even deeper than the previous track, with a deeper groove, huge melancholic pads and some amazing vocals by Tusnelda - what a voice! Some might consider the vocals cheesy, but I find them very suitable for the overall atmosphere of track, and made in good taste. Great track, although I could have wished it was a bit longer than 5½ minutes.

Bottom line:

Wow. I liked the first two chapters in the "Floating Point" series, but the 3rd chapter is by far the best chapter yet. The standard throughout the compilation is really high, with only one track, Crowd Controls "Little Haiti" not fitting to my liking, and there are some really outstanding gems to be found here. The compilation is quite varied, and the flow is pretty consistent and well-thought, starting with the two deep and rather cold tunes by Bluetech and Koan, moving over more traditional chillout and a hint of ethnic flavours before finishing with the master stroke - the two delicious groovers by True To Nature.

Like I said earlier, "Floating Point 3" is my favourite chapter in the series, and in my opinion also the best chillout release by Sofa Beats and Iboga Records so far. Great job.

Favourites:

2, 4 (!!), 5 (!!), 6, 8, 9, 10 (!!!), 11 (!)

Verdict:

9/10

Link:

Iboga Records: http://www.iboga.dk
More reviews here: http://www.sunrisesupplies.com/?page_id=12          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : Mar 24, 2006 19:09
V/A – Floating Point 3

Cover: http://tinyurl.com/nk9ks + http://tinyurl.com/onp7l

Artist: Various
Title: Floating Point 3 – Compiled by Michael Banel
Format: CD (jewel case)
Label: Sofa Beats (Denmark)
Cat. #: SOFA BEATS CD 03
Distribution: twohandsdistribution.com
Date: February 2006

Track listing:

01. 07’13” Bluetech - Wilderness
02. 05’43” Koan - Sirens
03. 07’10” Crowd Control – Little Haiti
04. 05’57” Aural Planet – Sunfruits Avenue (Sundial Remix)
05. 07’35” Alex Scheffer – Under Your Mind
06. 07’41” Shen – Cloud Theory
07. 09’36” Seahorse Transform – Paradime Warp
08. 06’50” Sundial – Azure Aquarings
09. 06’50” Alex Scheffer – Sparkley Area
10. 08’21” True To Nature – Ghetto
11. 05’19” True To Nature feat. Tusnelda - Subside

.m3u-playlist: http://tinyurl.com/qoaqe (all tracks!)

Review:

Chilled Iboga with a twist…

Danish power label Iboga Records is the leading exponent for progressive trance, and in the past they’ve also brushed on subtle chill-out with their two Floating Point compilations released in 2003 and 2004… With the establishment of the sub-label Sofa Beats, Iboga Records has a new platform for chilled releases, and Sofa Beats is also the label releasing this third opus in the Floating Point series… As the first two, these tracks are compiled by label boss Michael Banel – let’s see what he dug up for us…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Bluetech – Wilderness
First up is a track my American chill-wizard Evan Bluetech… Aleph Zero released his third album Sines And Singularities in late 2005, and this track is very much like the style on that album (and the two previous albums)… Harmonic, atmospheric, melancholy downbeat – and as always Evan’s music is as inimitable as it is unparalleled… A very nice starter!

#02: Koan – Sirens
This is my first encounter with Koan’s music… This Russian duo (Daniel Roeth & Vladimir Sedov) is also know as Vacuum Stalkers and has released a couple of tracks on Horns And Hoofs + a bunch of mp3 releases that I haven’t heard… This track is lush downtempo with a strong emphasis on melodic pads and naturally there is singing sirens – which is a very nice touch… All in all, this is a very harmonic, peaceful piece of music… If only it was longer and the watery outro was a bit more refined…

#03: Crowd Control – Little Haiti
”I wanna be where you are…” CC is a Danish trio consisting of Jesper Banner, Thomas Banner & Jan Stewart Sørensen… They also had tracks on the first two Floating Point compilations – and with this track they take chances… This is pretty edgy downbeat – a mix of epic, clubby elements with sharp IDM + dub elements... Like a big melting put of different styles… A big hectic maybe, but generally I like it…

#04: Aural Planet – Sunfruits Avenue (Sundial Remix)
Sunfruits Avenue was originally released on Ultimae’s Fahrenheit Project Part Five, and despite its head-bop friendly chill qualities, it wasn’t a stand-out track… Now it’s being remixed by the Polish act Sundial (Radosław Kochman & Daniel Lulkowski) whom possibly also helped making it in the first place… Anyway, this is indeed a very Ultimae sounding track with a rich array of both percussion and trance-synths… Up-tempo without crossing completely over into chill – kinda like Aes Dana, Cell or Solar Fields… Nicey nice!

#05: Alex Scheffer – Under Your Mind
Talking about Cell, here’s a track by the productive Frenchman… The last output I heard from him was his brilliant tune on the Chill Tribe compilation Quality Relaxation… This track is indisputable Cell-like with its rich, floating melodies and heavily well-refined percussion… Extremely well-produced ear-candy as always with Cell… Sweet!

#06: Shen – Cloud Theory
Noah Pred from Canada also produces music under the F.S.P. and Primordial Nature monikers and has an impressive roster of releases. This is my first encounter with his music though… This aptly named track has a sharp digital-sounding ambience to it and it kinda reminds me of a pitched-up version of Bluetech… A hifi space-ambient version of a lofi techno tune… Argh, that doesn’t make any sense! A nice track, but somehow I can’t really connect to it… It’s a little too introvert…

#07: Seahorse Transform – Paradime Warp
Behind this project is a Danish producer called Simon Jagd – and AFAIK this is his debut release. After a high-pitched, noisy intro the track eventually settles on lush, ethno-inspired world music not unlike Kaya Project… Very nice and atmospheric… I’m looking forward to the debut album coming soon on Sofa Beats…

#08: Sundial – Azure Aquarings
Kochman from Poland is back with another track… And just like the previous one, this is up-tempo chilled stuff… Huge, floating melodic pads of epic proportions are mixed with a well-defined, though kinda commercial rhythm section… Would mix well with an Antix or Gaudium track… It’s nice and well-produced, but there’s nothing here I haven’t heard a billion times before…

#09: Alex Scheffer – Sparkley Area
Another Cell-track following a Sundial track… I see a pattern forming! This track is similar to the first one – though with a slightly more murky appearance… But it’s still smile-inducing, Cell-like, lush downbeat… Lovely!

#10: True To Nature – Ghetto
Tom Von Rosen & Jokke Ilsøe from Copenhagen, Denmark have released a number of progressive/house tracks + three 12” singles – and sure enough, this is progressive house disguised as downbeat… Rich, tribal, groovy and totally danceable is not something you’d expect to find on a chill-out compilation, but it works really here… Would work very well as a transition track in a set going from downtempo to upbeat… Yummy!

#11: True To Nature feat. Tusnelda – Subside
On the final track the guys are joined by Tusnelda on vocals… We stay in housy, progressive territory here and this is also a dancefloor-slash-upbeat tune… The bass is downright evil here and the groovy is unparalleled… Totally banging and totally lush! Awesome way to finish the compilation!

Well, the two final upbeat tracks were definitely the biggest surprise here – usually it’s chilled stuff from start to finish on these kinds of compilations… But with a surprise this pleasant, I’m not complaining at all… In fact, I think mixing styles like this is a brave move and once again it shows Iboga/Sofa Beats as one of the leading labels within our scene… Hats off… Again!

So yeah, this is a brilliant compilation with on a couple of minor glitches… The artwork rules and everything reeks quality! Recommended to fans of eclectic, diverse, cross-over downbeat… You’ll not be disappointed! … Enjoy!

Favourites: 1, 3, 4(!), 5, 7, 9, 10(!), 11(!!)

DeathPosture

External links:
Iboga Records: http://www.iboga.dk
Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/624620
Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/rp24a
TranceShop: http://tinyurl.com/mxddk
Amboworld: http://tinyurl.com/mtj9l
Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/l9n2d
Wakyo: http://tinyurl.com/n2yrf
Juno: http://tinyurl.com/put6a           On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
guy cohen
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  417
Posted : Mar 24, 2006 19:43
The best two reviewers wrote their comments so all I have to add is - get this cd people, this excellent music will go with you for long long time...trust me ! Music for any mood.
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Dec 18, 2006 23:54
Got it from a friend a while back and only listened to it tonight for the first time. It constantly slipped away from my attention but then tonight it finally found its way into my cd-player. And I'm glad it did. I like all tracks except track 3, which wasn't all that good IMO and track 11 could've done without the vocals. But all the rest... wow. I'm especially impressed by Alex Scheffer's work here. Track 5 is just superb!! This is a quality chill compilation, so do yourself a favor and get this           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Various Artists - Floating Point 3 (Sofa Beats/Iboga, February 2006)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance