Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Various Artists – A Token To Thrill (Nanobeat, July 2004)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Various Artists – A Token To Thrill (Nanobeat, July 2004)

pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Aug 10, 2004 17:29
Artist: Various
Title: A Token To Thrill
Label: Nanobeat
Format: CD (Jewelcase)
Released: July 2004
Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/nab1cd002_b.jpg

Review:

It’s been over 2 years since Nanobeat launched with the strong compilation “Lush”, and since then they’ve kept a relatively low profile with a few released EP’s, until now, where they have released their 2nd CD – a compilation called “A Token To Thrill”. While their first compilation was progressive trance, a bit on the darker side, “A Token To Thrill” is definitely a move towards the more housier stuff, and they have managed to sign some really interesting acts – both unknown and well-known.

I found it in Ibogas stand at VooV, and after looking at the tracklist, and especially the people behind the first 3 tracks, I didn’t hesitate to buy it (as well as some Iboga classics for just 7 Euro – yay!).

1. Junk – Southern Comfort [8:18]
Behind the project Junk we find Joe Williams (a well-known DJ and producer, but probably best known by psytrance oldtimers from the Salamander project), and Benji Vaughan (yes, THE Benji Vaughan of Prometheus, Younger Brother and Cyberbabas fame) – but this is nowhere near Benjis newer work on Twisted Records. The previously released “Southern Comfort” (also one of my favourite beverages ) is a nice start to the compilation with its haunting hypnotic grooves, and it easily kept my attention in over 8 minutes. The vocal perhaps sound a bit cheesy, but luckily it’s not overused, and therefore doesn’t get annoying.

2. Mondayz Millionaires – Coldies For Goldies [10:08]
Mondayz Millionaires consist of the Strom brothers from Antix, and Emok and Jeppe Ørnkilde from Phony Orphants (Jeppe is also one of the founders of Nanobeat). They previously worked together on the “Chicago Collins/Saturday Candy” 12”, and “Coldies For Goldies” is a bit more up-tempo and housy, and not quite as deep and dark. Nice track though.

3. Groovesniffers – Naughty Edit B [7:30]
Moving on to Groovesniffers - Another “celebrity” sideproject, consisting of no less than Jon Om and Dick Trevor (Green Nuns, Trickster, Tufaan etc.). “Naughty Edit B” is a slow, but funky groover, with lots of retro sounds and sexy vocals, but unfortunately it doesn’t really do anything for me, apart from the uplifting melodies in the last one and a half minute – too late.

4. Thomas Penton – Settle The Score [9:40]
Next up is Thomas Penton, and “Settle The Score” is a darker and more serious track than the last one. Like always the style is really massive, and he shows that he’s a really talented producer. “Settle The Score” is one of his better works, but not quite as good as my personal favourites, like his remix of “Breaking Of The Dawn”.

5. True To Nature – I Like It [7:34]
The Danish duo True To Nature is also present on the compilation with their track “I Like It” – and it’s not really typical of the rest of the stuff I’ve heard from them. A simple bassline, sexy vocals and an oldschool synth seems to be the ingredients here, but I would have preferred some of the uplifting sounds from lets say the magnificent “Pulsar”.

6. Llopis – Like The Good Books [10:53]
It’s been a while since I’ve heard new stuff from Llopis, but “Like The Good Books” does maintain some of the elements from his work I’m familiar with: slow and deeeep grooves. The track is spiced up with some Jamaican samples, but it does get quite uninspiring in the end, as it runs for nearly 11 minutes. 7 or 8 minutes would have been more than enough.

7. Niko – My Love [8:48]
This is the first track I hear from Niko, and the bouncy “My Love” is definitely trancier than the last couple of tracks here. Unfortunately it doesn’t really develop, and the especially the expected peak is a big disappointment compared to the promising first few minutes.

8. Ohrsten Nors – Midnight Sunshine (Switch Mix) [9:19]
Ending the compilation is Ohrsten Nors, who also had a track on the first Nanobeat compilation. “Midnight Sunshine (Switch Mix)” is a pretty good track, that develops nicely, and after a couple of average tracks, it’s does save the compilation in my book.

Bottom line:

After their latest 12” releases, “A Token To Thrill” was an expected move towards house from Nanobeat. I really wanted to like it, and it did have some interesting moments (especially the darker tracks), but honestly I found it slightly disappointing overall and not nearly as good as “Lush”. None of the tracks where REALLY good - Not once while listening to the CD did I get that “wow, what an excellent track” feeling, and I quickly got bored with a few of them. I wouldn’t recommend it for everyone in here, and a new release like Saiko-Pods “Phutureremixes” (ACDC) will probably be easier to digest for curious psychedelic fans, interested in slower and more housy music (like me).

“A Token To Thrill” is not a bad release though, but not a must-buy either.

Favourites:

1, 2, 4, 8

Verdict:

6,5/10 – not bad, but not a must-buy either

Links:

Nanobeat: http://www.nanobeat.dk          DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
tom anteater
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  56
Posted : Aug 10, 2004 17:51
this cd is _the_ business! great recommendation from eli and i will be playing a lot of it a lot get it!           >>love will tear us apart...<<
drooid
Sun Control Species

Started Topics :  13
Posted : Aug 10, 2004 21:13
yes i think Mondayz Millionairz is an exceptional track!
very good trak.

thomas penton not bad either           the FATLINE is ending www.myspace.com/suncontrolspecies
snowflake

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Aug 12, 2004 04:12
Llopis track - Like the Good Books was released already in Iboga's - Joke in the Mix....
now finaly i can make it a part of my own mix. excelent....           Out Here We're Stoned....
Glen.C (Iboga Rec)
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  52
Posted : Aug 12, 2004 20:59
Heard Mondayz Millionairz last night and it's VERY good, really a marvel to behold.

Good work guys.
Zombi
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  375
Posted : Aug 13, 2004 02:25
for me its a best compilation in a very long time, it have own style, it have diversion, it have surprizes and its sounds like nothing else. my fav cd of last half year, and put attention that is not your reguelar housey cd filled with previusly released on vinyls trax on license, its serious work here and a great sucess. i played few trax from here on different parties and its all sounds supa on a big pa, a must one for MUSIC LOVERS.           Believe your soul !
Jyotea

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Aug 20, 2004 17:36
I love this release... really my kind of grooves

Mondayz Millionaires is extremely, well extreme deep and tribal (the atmosphere reminds me of the laurent garnier techno-scapes)

also Thomas Penton is a real masterpiece, massive for sure... love that guy.

Junk, True to nature and Llopis are nice too ... 'I Like It' is really catchy and has this fat organic bass that makes me go insane.

A token to thrill is a must for progressive addicts , smouth and intense.

over and out!

Jingabé
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Aug 25, 2004 14:48
I liked this one a lot!!

Catchy groovy tunes
Special mention to Mondayz Millionaires, Groovesniffers and Loopis.
Sektor666
Inactive User

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Aug 26, 2004 11:42
I totaly agree with Zombi it is the best Progressive House/Trance Compilation in long time ............

The quality of production is close to Vision and Canedy Album which is rocks in sound and music ...

Good luck to Nano Beats ............

all fine but Nano Beatz site is non usefull , guys try to make the it better , just site , music is fine .....
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Aug 26, 2004 12:12
Really nice compilation. Great tracks by Llopis, Thomas Penton and Mondayz Millionares. The rest is great too. Nice going Nano Beats! Hope to hear more of this in the future...           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
Glen.C (Iboga Rec)
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  52
Posted : Aug 31, 2004 21:55
This is a great CD!!! And that Mondayz track has the sickest of all basslines.... it just blows me away every time. Really like this CD... good work Jeppe and the Nanobeat crew... good to have you back. Don't leave it so long this time for the next CD.           http://www.facebook.com/GlenC.IbogaRecords
http://www.myspace.com/gleniboga
www.iboga-records.dk
Spikers & Midinoize - Lisbon Hooker (Glen C rmx) coming soon on Earhead Audio
Voice of All
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  48
Posted : Jun 17, 2005 01:58
it is very good cd. almost all stuff here is worth your attention. thomas penton, junk and mondayz millionaires have top tracks.           Spiritual guides are to practice and serve in ways that cultivate awareness, empathy, and wisdom.
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : May 11, 2007 12:25
Listening to it again this morning and it's still a kick-ass compilation in my book. Some great tracks, especially in the beginning. The latter half of the cd sounds like the middle of a progressive DJ's set with tracks that flow nicely but have less character than the tracks before. Anyway, still great stuff.           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - Various Artists – A Token To Thrill (Nanobeat, July 2004)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance