Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - VA - 'Windup' - Nano Records (NanoCD006)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

VA - 'Windup' - Nano Records (NanoCD006)

Surrender
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  506
Posted : Jul 28, 2004 22:47
1. Talamasca- A Frenchman in Cape Town (chill cliff remix) (8:47)
2. Tristan & Allaby- Lateral Thinking (7:43)
3. AMD- Quantum Accelerator (8:05)
4. Shift- Machine Soul (8:04)
5. Tristan vs. The Electric Ant- Six Straight Days (ManMadeMan Remix) (7:15)
6. Joti Sidhu- Synthetic Telepathy (7:40)
7. Silver Surfers- MuDJaji (Protoculture Remix) (8:13)
8. Tikal- Audio Energizer (8:39)
9. Alternate Vision- Sliced (8:18)

One of the labels I enjoy the most today consistently is Nano Records from the UK. Their various artists' compilations are something I have come to appreciate since their start. Having said that, it is with high expectations that I review this particular assemblage… so let's begin.

1. A Frenchman in Cape Town by Talamasca (Chill Cliff Rmx) is the kick off here; this is a very slow developing progressive track with jungle elements that sound like this Frenchman got lost in the African jungle. It's a nice track although it reminds me little of the original work. An intro track by any means, I found it a bit lacking.

2. Lateral Thinking by Tristan and Allaby is one of the best tracks I have heard in a long time… it relies heavily on the sounds of Allaby, which I recognize from Tristan's Twisted Session Vol.1. The track's lines are so similar to "Spiritually Correct", usually I would frown on that, but they pull it off and since that track was never released, it a great substitute to insert to a pumping proggy set.

3. Quantum Accelerator by AMD is where this compilation takes off with a light yet driving bassline, clever percussion works and excellent games, long saw synths and trippy samples are used here. Not the typical full on clone.

4. Machine Soul by Shift is a track I did not connect to. I usually like Shift's work, but this track I thought he could do much better. A bit predictable and overused sounds in my opinion. A powerful track, but lacking in interest to my mind.

5. Six Straight Days Tristan Vs Electric Ant (ManMadeMan Rmx) – This track surprised me; I was thinking it would be a more progressive rhythm and atmosphere. Instead it still possesses all the energy of the original track. No serious changes here, an excellent remix and a highlight of this compilation. ManMadeMan seems to add just the right amount of chaos to an already genius track.

6. Synthetic Telepathy by Joti Sidhu – Is my favorite musical piece here. I think Joti hit the nail on the head with this one, everything is purely psychedelic… sort of in an old school funny yet deranged sort of sense. I adore the samples, the structure and the build. Joti is on the money, folks.

7. MuDJaji by Silver Surfers (Protoculture Rmx) – I don’t know the original, but this is a wonderful remix. Protoculture is marked by his groovy, feel-good type atmospheres and leads… dreamy, cruising and entertaining.

8. Audio Energizer by Tikal is another track that draws my attention. I was impressed by their debut album and this track has got the same clever games over the super jumpy bass lines. The breakdown of this track is really special, I can't remember where I heard that guitar before… but for sure it's not a track to miss.

9. Sliced By Alternate Vision -Closing this compilation with a slower Logic Bomb type sounds and structure. Johan show's us his lighter side and giving a look into the upcoming album. A good closer to the journey.

Recomendation: All in all this is a solid compilation, I recommend it. It fits me in many moods, whether I just want to hear one track for power or several tracks playing at my home stereo, this compilation does the trick. Nano has proved once again its reliability for quality psy, blending different genres, showing us that trance does not need be divided if the story is told correctly.

Favorite tracks: 2!, 5, 6!!, 8

also on the main site:
http://www.isratrance.com/www/reviews/show_review_details.php?go_to=va&show=678

"On the other hand, you have different fingers."
http://myspace.com/gadimon
olivier
Side-A

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Jul 28, 2004 23:31
i didn't really like this compilation ...
only the protoculture stands out here for me , the rest is average or not very good
allaby's track is not bad but it lacks a bit of evolution imo and the production is not oustanding
the same for the alternate vision, where there are some nice sequences but the track gets quickly boring , especially the first half of the track.
and for your information surrender , the guitar of the tikal track has been sampled from daft punk 's latest album
Surrender
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  506
Posted : Jul 29, 2004 08:41
Quote:

On 2004-07-28 23:31, Side-A wrote:

and for your information surrender , the guitar of the tikal track has been sampled from daft punk 's latest album

ah that's right.... that trilogy video clip set... i remember now.
Side-A, its hard when u dont get MTV Europe to remember everything u see/hear

regarding the album again.... i think Joti is the cherry here no doubt.          "On the other hand, you have different fingers."
http://myspace.com/gadimon
tikal
Tikal

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Jul 29, 2004 08:47
just for your information ,the original guitare is not from daft punk but from AC/DC ,daft punk just took the samples as us..
vincent tikal
Dai
IsraTrance Junior Member
Dai aka Amatti

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Jul 29, 2004 10:19
I fully agree with what Surrender said.
This is a solid release.
Nano rec. have been releasing fabulous music lately.
Keep it up
          Tell me what you listen, and I'll tell you what you are.
http://www.brainbusters.info
http://www.psytribe.com
Dj Neurona

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Jul 29, 2004 20:47
I reaaaally like this album...it sounds just the way i like it and the tracks are very intelligent, not the usual full on boredom...
canyouhearthegoblins

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Feb 7, 2005 18:54
i'm after a non protocultured version of Mudjaji
any ideas anyone?
Riton
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  27
Posted : Feb 9, 2005 08:45
I love this release...
My personal favorites are "frenchman in cape town" and "quantum accelerator".
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - VA - 'Windup' - Nano Records (NanoCD006)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance