Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - VA - Sub Signals Volume 1 [Interchill - Nov2006]
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

VA - Sub Signals Volume 1 [Interchill - Nov2006]

Morpheus Music
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  94
Posted : Dec 18, 2006 17:46
V/A - Sub Signals - Volume 1

STYLE
Urban dub and bass soundscapes selected and mixed by Gaudi. Sub Signals is a gutsy collection of instrumentals lumbering along with a low, low centre of gravity - blunt bass lines swaying and nodding deep under the influence of a strong dub and reggae heritage. If these low frequencies don't set the whole space around your speakers vibrating uncontrollably then they're probably switched off. Hypnotically languid downtempo beats and various off beat stabs naturally feature as do strongly reverberating hits and echoing incidentals. Melodic material is downplayed in favour of rhythm and atmosphere - brief phrases and repeated snippets slipping in and out whilst energetic electronic effects and peculiarities swirl, flash or well up in turn. Voices float frequently to the murky surface - appropriate spoken bytes or clipped bits of chat all with the right cultural bent.

ARTWORK
Black and white, gritty and steeped in the ashen tones of the nocturnal city. A grey tube train makes a dwindling diagonal triangling into the front cover centre, fluorescent lights contrasting the dense shadows of an almost empty platform. An advisory panel declares 'WOOFER ADVISORY - EXPLICIT BASS'. Another monochrome train maintains the urban theme on the rear, track titles running down its shadowy door. A four panel sleeve presents more cityscapes heavy with gloom hazed with artificial light. Here inside there is an expanded track list with full credits and website details for each artist. The insert also holds an explanation of the Sub Signal project on the back and generous thanks from both Interchill and Gaudi.

OVERALL
Sub Signals - Volume 1 is to be the first of a series from Interchill Records 'dedicated to the sounds of dub'. The tracks on this CD are mostly unreleased pieces compiled and mixed by Gaudi. Although harking back to roots laid down over decades, Sub Signals - Volume 1 has a very contemporary sound, the programming and digital structuring establishing a sound that is both sharp and technologically polished whilst keeping an acid, organic edginess that matches the visual presentation admirably. If you enjoy downtempo dub music that surges forward on huge waves of bass and aren't afraid of the dark or the streets - then this is an album you'll want to hear.

MORPHEUS MUSIC
www.morpheusmusic.co.uk
ELECTRONIC MUSIC MALL
http://www.electronicmusicmall.com
Minimal Monster
Minimal Monster

Started Topics :  50
Posted : Dec 18, 2006 23:39
weird review           http://www.myspace.com/minimalran
http://www.soundcloud.com/minimal-monster
blueOrb
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  100
Posted : Dec 19, 2006 11:57

an intense dub trip compiled by dub master Gaudi

@rajaran
whats wierd about it? all reviews need not be track by track reviews ...Morpheus has his own unique style           New mixes on
http://soundcloud.com/blueorb

Older Mixes on
http://blueorb.podomatic.com/
Minimal Monster
Minimal Monster

Started Topics :  50
Posted : Dec 19, 2006 13:03
unique but weird           http://www.myspace.com/minimalran
http://www.soundcloud.com/minimal-monster
!Ce M@n
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  30
Posted : Dec 19, 2006 15:29
Well , This V/A is good , nice morning blasters from Metaphase,sub6,deja voo and X.I, nice remix by X.I but I like the original track ,remix dos'nt seem to be dat conventional to me .

Nice V/a all together and Good luck to interchill recds
          0x00000PSy
Morpheus Music
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  94
Posted : Dec 23, 2006 10:28
I like it weird.           MORPHEUS MUSIC
www.morpheusmusic.co.uk
ELECTRONIC MUSIC MALL
http://www.electronicmusicmall.com
mk47
Inactive User

Started Topics :  118
Posted : Dec 23, 2006 19:37
i like it dub .. and i like it bassy .. this is a masterpeice .. a must for all no matter who u are .. cool cover even

10/10 .. superb
blueOrb
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  100
Posted : Jan 3, 2007 12:53
I dont know why the previous review of this album got locked
http://forum.isratrance.com/viewtopic.php/topic/101371/forum/9
but here is my review anyways

Title – Sub Signals Vol. 1
Label - Interchill, Canada
Format – CD
Genre – Dub, Downtempo Electronic
Release Date - Nov2006

Tracklist –

01. The Kakatsitsi Drummers and Greg Hunter - Gbehee (A New Path) (6:00)
02. High Tone - Replay (6:02)
03. Ashtech - Earth Orbit (4:34)
04. Sub Oslo - Prisoner Of Dub (2:36)
05. Mauxuam - Jahnesh (4:36)
06. Dub Alchemist - MF Rainbow (6:22)
07. Zion Train - Free Heart (4:14)
08. Dubadelic - Secrets Of The Lost Dubplates (5:49)
09. Noiseshaper - Walls Of Silence (Gaudi Dub Remix) (3:58)
10. Creation Rebel - Space Movement - Section Two (4:02)
11. Manasseh - I-Wah (7:48)
12. Almamegretta - Insane Abduction (3:16)

After releasing the massive dub compilation "Dissolving Clouds" in 2005 which still runs in my music system, Interchill Records run by Andrew Ross-Collins hailing from Canada give us their next dubby installment compiled and mixed by the master of dub "Gaudi" who needs no introduction here. I’ve had very high expectations from this compilation, each of which have been fulfilled to the max. The package comes with a warning "WOOFER ADVISORY - EXPLICIT BASS". I am sure my speakers are in for a low frequency hammering.

Starting the compilation is "Gbehee (A New Path)" by "Greg Hunter" with "Kakatsitsi" who are drummers from Ghana, a mild dub track with excellent drum percussion that keeps evolving slowly but steadily, I call this pure bass therapy. Flowing smoothly into the next track "Replay" by "Hightone" from France, listeners are greeted by insane psychedelic dub in extra large doses; I must have heard this track at least around 50 times by now, a very intelligent dub masterpiece with an fx'ed rasta vocal sample that is going to leave you gasping for more.

Getting our heads deeper into the woofer we have "Ashtech" which is a project by the former bass player of "Almamegretta" a Italian dub band who even contribute the last track on the compilation, once again the primary focus is on the bassline which is layered by highly psychedelic rootsy dub. The bass carries us steadily without noticing into the next track "Prisoner of Dub" by "Sub Oslo" from Texas. My head feels heavy with low frequencies vibrations already. Next track by "Mauxuam" the hard to find globe trotter and the best thing that could happen to dub music numbs my senses with spacy synths that gurgle around ones chakras.

Notching the tempo just a little we have "MF Rainbow" by "Dub Alchemist" which is a project by Gaudi just cannot disappoint anyone with its phat and groovy sound that instantly pulls one into the dub orbit. Next item on the sonic therapy menu is "Zion Train who are dub veterans give us a non hectic straight up shot of a dub cocktail flavoured with Rasta vocal samples and tribal percussion that leaves one with a surreal mental buzz.

"Dubadelic" who are described as "A loose gang of WordSound artist" on discogs present crawling dub groove with a complementing dark atmosphere. Next is a remix to "Noiseshaper - Walls of Silence" by "Gaudi" himself, featuring a voluptuous bassline that justifies the cover warning. As we approach the end of the compilation one is welcomed with nothing but astonishment in the form of live dub by "Creation Rebel" who are very well known in the UK for their contemporary electronic sound. Giving us our final few shots of dub is "Manasseh" who is well know for his fantastic tracks released on earlier Interchill compilations.

Winding up is "Insane Abduction" by "Almamegretta" a dub band based in Italy who have crafted a absolute stunner with excellent drumming with a jazzy twist.

Interchill and Gaudi have cooked us a true dub masterpiece that intricately combines acoustic and earthen musical elements with digital grooves while featuring some of the biggest names from the worldwide dub collective. The production and mastering on "Sub Signals" is simply marvelous, I can’t even imagine how nice and powerful this is going to sound on a large sound system. Beware!!! "Sub Signals" is coming to a speaker near you; any attempts to escape the bass will prove futile!

Links -
http://www.interchill.com/
          New mixes on
http://soundcloud.com/blueorb

Older Mixes on
http://blueorb.podomatic.com/
Mr Felt

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Jan 3, 2007 19:31
Nice review Blue Orb I have to agree with you this is a fantastic outing from our Interchill buddies, I had high expectations for this one and it doesn't disappoint.

I was quite glad to see that they are running a compilation series dedicated purely to dub, and who better to steer the headphones than Mr. Gaudi himself. BTW the samples are up at Arabesque for their new chill comp. 'Bliminal'... go check
KakoOlalaJwal
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  116
Posted : Mar 5, 2007 15:16
Interchill are widening their range of explored directions (if it were still possible, ha !) with setting up a serie dedicated to the realm of dub.. And they entrusted Gaudi with getting the first volume ready. I must say, after having experienced a stunning show on NYE's at the Existence festival in Spain that I was convinced they made the right choice. And I think I wasn't mistaken, the compilation is a rich selection featuring amazing musicians.. They are :

01. Kakatsitsi, Master Drummers from Ghana & Greg Hunter ::: Gbehee (A New Path)
02. High Tone ::: Replay
03. Ashtech ::: Earth Orbit
04. Sub Oslo ::: Prisoner Of Dub
05. Mauxuam ::: Jahnesh
06. Dub Alchemist ::: MF Rainbow
07. Zion Train ::: Free Heart
08. Dubadelic ::: Secret Of The Lost Dubplates
09. Noiseshaper ::: Walls Of Silence [Gaudi Dub Remix]
10. Creation Rebel ::: Space Movement – Section Two
11. Manasseh ::: I-Wah
12. Almamegretta ::: Insane Abduction

Let's give the woOfers some "raison d'ętre" !

01- The opener is a meeting between Greg Hunter and drummers from Ghana. The result is a peaceful piece of dub, very subtle and driven by a slow and massive 4:4 kick-drum structure.. There is a feeling of out flow, we're swimming in a river of bass.. Welcome to the Sub Signals !

02-Gaudi picked up Replay that was released in 2000 on their second album Opus Incertum. It's good to get such a "connection" as High Tone is a quite famous "live-dub" band in France. They use to perform live in concert halls and (big ) rock festivals, and to deliver quite uptempo "drum'n'basstic" stuff on stage. Really cool people, they also have two deejays available for pot-pourri dub to breakbeat via whatever, hehe. The track reflects this "live" characteristic with a quite twisted ambiance and phat driving bass.

03-Andrea Nicoletti who is multi-talented musician, and will release an album with Gaudi's help on the production, delivers here somehow heavy but optimistic piece of dub. The bassline is just great and you get the typical delayed atmosphere with the U.K. scene touch' (reminds me of some Dub Syndicate in a way). A very promising foretaste of the album !

04- Sub Oslo, is another live-dub band, from Texas (which is something very comforting, hey !). The track is driven by a nice dialogue between the bass and the guitar greatly performed here, and it has a strong hypnotic atmosphere. It is about 10 years old, and I have to thank Gaudi for the discovery !

05- Next comes Mauxuam's Jahnesh, a nice pun for a nice track ! We're suggested some twisted dubbed out elements, with some subtle winks to the hindu friendly God, and an efficient heavy ambience that matches the "concept" behind the track title.. Good one !

06- We now have the pleasure to get Gaudi own's material under the Dub Alchemist nickname. He serves us a constanly twirling synth bass flirting with some breakbeat stuff, until the track gets into a fast steady and "weird" dub moment that will surely bring some dancers into a deep state of trance ! Wicked !

07- After the very fresh stuff, time for a salute to veterans Zion Train and some kind of teaser for the upcoming album, five years after their last release, that will be entitled ‘Live as One’. The track could be somehow "minimal dub" hehe, with an efficient bassline holds some always twirling rhythmic elements, punctuated by easy goin' percussions and some short vocal sample. Pretty good !

08- The greatly entitled 'Secrets of the Lost Dubplates' is made by mythic figure Bill Laswell together with drummer Ted Parsons and The Eye. Another oldie but goldie driven by a fantastic slow and steady bassline. The ambience is let's say deep, hehe, nice all-purpose word, isn't it ? But I guess you'll know what I mean when listening to it.

09- Still in the "salute" mood, we're now offered a remix by Gaudi of Noiseshaper's "Wall of Silence" extracted from their great album released by the (also great) label Echo Beach.. This looks like a virtuous circle and the remix sounds nothing but boom ba da dub ! Super ambience filled with good vibes and in the same time intriguing elements..

10- The typical snare roll launches this cosmic piece of dub that is older than me, and has been released the year I was born !! Therefore Gaudi is teaching me here how this jamaican music i love so much could be spiced up back in the end of the 70's.. And what can I say, to me it just sounds so fresh !

11- Being a big fan of Nick's tracks on compilations and his album featuring the Equalizer, i was pretty happy to get the chance to hear a new track ! And once more, it does it !! Great piece of electrodub, driven by an efficient bassline and some 4:4 kick-drum. Easy dancin' material !

12- To conclude the compilation Gaudi brings us to the country where he was born via the music of the italian band Almamegretta.. The track takes off slowly and gets into something, as the title suggests : insane ! Hehe very trippy stuff held by a steady bassline, that ends smoothly.. The train is gone !

Ffffffew.. this is dense ! Explicit bass indeed. And, once again, I can only praise Interchill crew and Mr. G for the great work. The artwork is quite pertinent too, well done Tristan Brotherton. What can I add.. Dub diggerz MUST give it a listen absolutely ! Serious starter for the serie, I'm really curious for what's next !

"Get your dose of BoOgie !"

http://www.bunkum-records.com
http://www.myspace.com/zekakoo
Pt.
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  236
Posted : Mar 5, 2007 15:22
Quote:

On 2006-12-18 17:46, Morpheus Music & BlueOrb wrote:

V/A - Sub Signals - Volume 1

Label - Interchill, Canada
Format – CD
Genre – Dub, Downtempo Electronic
Release Date - Nov2006

Tracklist –

01. The Kakatsitsi Drummers and Greg Hunter - Gbehee (A New Path) (6:00)
02. High Tone - Replay (6:02)
03. Ashtech - Earth Orbit (4:34)
04. Sub Oslo - Prisoner Of Dub (2:36)
05. Mauxuam - Jahnesh (4:36)
06. Dub Alchemist - MF Rainbow (6:22)
07. Zion Train - Free Heart (4:14)
08. Dubadelic - Secrets Of The Lost Dubplates (5:49)
09. Noiseshaper - Walls Of Silence (Gaudi Dub Remix) (3:58)
10. Creation Rebel - Space Movement - Section Two (4:02)
11. Manasseh - I-Wah (7:48)
12. Almamegretta - Insane Abduction (3:16)

STYLE
Urban dub and bass soundscapes selected and mixed by Gaudi. Sub Signals is a gutsy collection of instrumentals lumbering along with a low, low centre of gravity - blunt bass lines swaying and nodding deep under the influence of a strong dub and reggae heritage. If these low frequencies don't set the whole space around your speakers vibrating uncontrollably then they're probably switched off. Hypnotically languid downtempo beats and various off beat stabs naturally feature as do strongly reverberating hits and echoing incidentals. Melodic material is downplayed in favour of rhythm and atmosphere - brief phrases and repeated snippets slipping in and out whilst energetic electronic effects and peculiarities swirl, flash or well up in turn. Voices float frequently to the murky surface - appropriate spoken bytes or clipped bits of chat all with the right cultural bent.

ARTWORK
Black and white, gritty and steeped in the ashen tones of the nocturnal city. A grey tube train makes a dwindling diagonal triangling into the front cover centre, fluorescent lights contrasting the dense shadows of an almost empty platform. An advisory panel declares 'WOOFER ADVISORY - EXPLICIT BASS'. Another monochrome train maintains the urban theme on the rear, track titles running down its shadowy door. A four panel sleeve presents more cityscapes heavy with gloom hazed with artificial light. Here inside there is an expanded track list with full credits and website details for each artist. The insert also holds an explanation of the Sub Signal project on the back and generous thanks from both Interchill and Gaudi.

OVERALL
Sub Signals - Volume 1 is to be the first of a series from Interchill Records 'dedicated to the sounds of dub'. The tracks on this CD are mostly unreleased pieces compiled and mixed by Gaudi. Although harking back to roots laid down over decades, Sub Signals - Volume 1 has a very contemporary sound, the programming and digital structuring establishing a sound that is both sharp and technologically polished whilst keeping an acid, organic edginess that matches the visual presentation admirably. If you enjoy downtempo dub music that surges forward on huge waves of bass and aren't afraid of the dark or the streets - then this is an album you'll want to hear.

Links -
http://www.interchill.com/

wow, killer weird review guys! This one looks like an instant Dub gem. Thanks a lot for the heads up!
diskonekt
Fat Data

Started Topics :  37
Posted : Mar 5, 2007 15:37
Judging by the tracklist it should be sweet!
Got to have this one
Cheers!            Peace, Love, Death metal
Justin Chaos
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  117
Posted : Mar 5, 2007 21:23
Gaudi mate...I know you're reading this, or someone's reading it for ya
You got it right bro...as always, see you soon
          My fake plants died, because I did not pretend to water them.
nektar

Started Topics :  1
Posted : May 16, 2007 03:14
Delicious dub work
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - VA - Sub Signals Volume 1 [Interchill - Nov2006]

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance