Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - VA - Mixture (Iboga - April 2002)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

VA - Mixture (Iboga - April 2002)

___luizparreiras
Old Forum Member
Started Topics :  0
Posted : Apr 11, 2002 18:12:32
[b]VA - Constance Journey : Mixture (Iboga - April 2002)

1. Lando and Chrisma - Interesting Places
2. Amphasis - Nasty
3. Slugger - Automan
4. Alegria - We will Dance
5. N.D.S.A. - Fractal Fuckers (snorkel edit)
6. Ear Gear - Diet Disco
7. Antix - Flipped
8. Platform - Interport[/b]

Constance Journey is the artistic name of one Ilka Horlitz, half of the downtempo project D.P.O.D., and with her the danish label kicks off this series of discs done by outside guests. As the name says, it is a mixture of sounds, mainly going in two directions: clubby progressive, and darker techier sounds. It works pretty well, it manages to tell a pretty nice story.
Lando and Chrisma open things with a very smooth sound, slow bpm, chill in mood and nice melodic line. Nothing special, just a warm up for the mood and the ear. Next up is Eric Elser with his nastiness, very minimalistic bassline and imo a overuse of the same melodies. Kinda annoying in a way, too minimal for me. Then Constance's hand gets a little heavier and things speed up, with a more driving bass, faster bpm, and a pretty decent groove. Some jazzy melodic lines which are nice for dancing, somewhat dark atmosphere. All in all, a good track to open the night in a club environment. Next up the great german Micha, with his typical clubby style. The bpm goes up yet another notch, the basslines is driving and the kick is relentless. Great sample use and morning feel make for a very enjoyable dancing experience. One of my favorites here. Then we met the Ticon boys, and they manage to keep the mood high and the knees moving, with a great driving bass and a lot of psy Fx on top. Good melodic lines and very interesting bird-like Fx, plus a great break work. Another of my favs. After all the psychedelic clubby craziness we have the german duo going on a techier path, as usual with them. Nice bass but horrible intro, too minimalistic and boring. After a couple of minutes things spice up, some more sound layers and a good mood, nice break and build-up, some housy touches. Average track. Then we fly to New Zealand to meet the Strom bros. with their relentless tribal touch, heavy driving bassline and kinda dark atmosphere. Another dancing gem here, always moving sound, they keep adding new sounds and effects to the mix, which comes out very good. And to wrap things up we have new israeli talent, Jenia Shteingard is his name, and he takes things on the darker techier route again, the bpm slowing down to close the disc, typical psytechno Fx but a bassline with just the right amount of club influence. Nice closing, though i feel a lack of story in the track.

[b]Conclusion:[/b] very innovative release by the Ibogans. Mostly club influenced, and very danceable, with each track having a distinct face to it. A definite buy for the butt-moving gang, great compilation work by Constance Journey. My favorites: 4, 5, 7.
___metrix_girl
Old Forum Member
Started Topics :  8
Posted : Apr 11, 2002 18:46:45
ok it sound like a must have soon!!

___Nomad
Old Forum Member
Posted : Apr 11, 2002 19:29:22
at the beginning i didn't really like it as a compilation, nice tracks here and there but thats it, i felt it's not going anywhere, but i gave it a few more tries and after about 2 weeks it started to grow on me, it is very different and the change in Iboga style is well sensed .
i still don't see the whole picture but it's starting to clear out .

Luiz nice review ;) very informative and descriptive .
___MentalProjection
Old Forum Member
Started Topics :  15
Posted : Apr 11, 2002 19:38:04
GREAT REVIEW Luiz, sound like a good cd :)

B
___luizparreiras
Old Forum Member
Posted : Apr 11, 2002 23:24:05
Thx for the compliments folks.

Leon, i had the same feeling u did. That's why i only wrote the review today, I've had the disc for 3 weeks now, and only now did i really connect to it.
But it's a great one...subtle and interesting.
:-)
___bagakid
Old Forum Member
Posted : Apr 11, 2002 23:39:05
Great Review Luix, Cheers mate.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - VA - Mixture (Iboga - April 2002)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance