Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - VA Assasinations (TIP World, 2001)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

VA Assasinations (TIP World, 2001)

___kaz
Old Forum Member
Started Topics :  0
Posted : Sep 29, 2001 22:03:04
01 alien project - midnight sun (gms rmx)
02 meat head productions - the big ship
03 1300 mics - salva divinorium
04 alien project - genetic eye remix
05 d tek n dr panic - psychedelic cowboy
06 zorba - the rush
07 logic bomb - logic
08 antidote - have a drink
09 synthetic - the mummy

Alien Project start up this compilation with a nice upbeat track, with a lot of club touches and the classic GMS sounds in the background, but overall a very refreshing track with a good groove and some pretty oldschool ideas about how to make people dance, and what can I say, the basics still work :). GMS added to it there touch, and even though we all know it inside out by now, it's still as effective as always.

Meat Head Productions continue the album with a slightly lighter morning feel, somewhat remeniscient of MFG in the first part, but the development of this track starts going darker and darker as it progresses, but it just didn't really raise my pulse in the first 2 minutes, when it starts to pick up in pace, and when it reached the 4:20 mark, I couldn't help but smile a bit. BUT, even though the track has many redeeming bits throughout it (where I just thought to myself "this is GOOD"), it just didn't let go and flow where it should... I don't know if there's anything else out by this project, but I'd watch out for more, because this name just might be here to stay.

Next up is 1300 mics - Salvia Divinorum, which I believe nearly all of us have heard at one point or another, and I'm willing to dance to it anytime! Interesting music, good flow, and a very intelligent build give this track a pretty high rank in my list.

The next one is again Alien Project, and the track sounded like yet another standard formula track made for people to stomp at parties... until the break at 2:30, where something goes very wrong..... in the best way. I started jumping all around the place, the way it snaps back into the beat and starts developing with a fury. Even though sometimes they overplay the music, every time it develops, the track just sounds RIGHT. Dance, dance, dance. Yay! :)

As the compilation continues, D Tek and Dr Panic give us a touch of the acoustic guitar in the beginning of the track, which I have to say was interesting, but pretty poorly executed in comparison with other guitar tracks (even though the riff is pretty nice). The track continues with decent to good electronic themes, but the guitar just kills the track every time you hear it. Even when they start giving us the electric guitar which is much easier to involve in trance... it just doesn't cut it. at around 5:25 the track changes, and leaves the earlier unorganized mess of a track to become something extremely dancable. Until the guitatr kicks in again one minute later. Very bad track overall IMO.

Zorba brings us The Rush in the next track, and it starts out with an interesting melodic bit, and when the bass kicks in, it feels very well in place. Somewhat remniscient of old MWNN music, but that's not necessarily that bad. Very danceable, musically one of the nicer tracks I've heard lately (which I greatly appreciate), but doesn't have enough of that oomph you want to feel at a party. Gets pretty cheesy at times, but well, I've got a soft spot for goa, and there's even a really nice TB303 line for all of you guys that missed that synth. Very cliche, but it's one of the tracks that you can gladly smile to when hearing.

Then we've got a visit from Logic Bomb, one of the best party factories in the trance world today, with yet another track that gives us a killer groove, slick production, very well thought out structure, and raises the pulse from the beginning, and keeps it up there until the end. Like only Logic Bomb can do, they keep you asking for more... but unfortunately, like Logic Bomb often do, they don't supply you with that. I kept on waiting for the track to explode with the energy that's been building up for soooooo long, but it just never reaches that peak that it could have conquered so easily. It's not a bad track, and don't expect Logic Bomb to dissapoint you, but after the brilliant Always Choose Retry, I expected to hear them develop in that direction a bit more. Very nice track, but I just expected more.

The next track is by one of my favorite acts, the Antidote, which make some of the deeper sides of minimal music (yes, I said that there are good sides to minimal you all! They exist, I know), and don't dissapoint with a very interesting and very powerfull, not really predictable, always keeps you on your feet, and has some killer basslines there. Around 4:35, the extra percussion kicks in and it's just a brilliant piece of work, makes you want to stomp, stomp, stomp... and from there on, the track is just wonderful, with an intelligent minimalistic feel, great music, and it just all seems to come together nicely in the end, but never being too predictable. GREAT track. Wonderful to hear this kind of music.

And the last track by synthetic starts out with some good DnB touches, and for everyone who's seen the mummy, the vocals are not that impressive as they were intended to be :). At 1:30 the bassdrum kicks in, and we get the German trance feel. Power, no mercy, no subtle touches, no going soft, just bassdrum, bassline, percussion, evil effects, we all know the routine here. Dark, minimal, basically what has become a stereotype for night music. I found it pretty boring overall, and especially compared to the rest of the compilation. at 5:21 though, the track turns back to the breakbeat, and like only in this type of track, returns back to full blast from nowhere in an explosion at 6:14, after which the track becomes less static, and gives us some of those DnB touches to the track. But still, nothing we haven't heard before (done better), too little, too late.

Overall, this is a good compilation, very good. Very interesting sounds, and TIP try and give us their vision of things to come, and most tracks here are definately good no matter how you slice it.

Favorites: 1, 3, 4, 8
___Sputer
Old Forum Member
Started Topics :  85
Posted : Sep 29, 2001 22:26:30
short review
___luizparreiras
Old Forum Member
Posted : Sep 29, 2001 23:28:49
Hey Asaf, great review man. Agree with most of it, tho i didn't like the Antidote trak. Had heard it on his album Antidotcom and i think he has better traks.
Alien Project and Salvia Divinorum are my favs here.
I vote for it as the comp. of the year so far! Can't wait for the upcoming Alien P. album on TIP....
;-)

np: Psycraft - Bizarre Rmx
___the_cannibal
Old Forum Member
Posted : Sep 29, 2001 23:46:43
3+9 thats it
the rest are realy BAD!!!!!!!!!
___Unbalanced
Old Forum Member
Started Topics :  15
Posted : Oct 5, 2001 18:55:59
hey.. am i the only one who see the imagenation
between track (02) meat head productions - the big ship and deedrah - relaod ?!
pls help !
___luizparreiras
Old Forum Member
Posted : Oct 5, 2001 18:59:45
no u are not the only one my friend
check out the Trance forum for a thread w/ the title Meat Head Productions...
;-)

np: parasense - mosquito
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - VA Assasinations (TIP World, 2001)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance