Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Water (Altar Records, 2009)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A - Water (Altar Records, 2009)

Jon Cocco
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  17
Posted : Jul 11, 2009 14:45:50
V/A - Water
Altar Records

1. Asura - Marianna Falls
2. Androcell - Seahorse Dreams
3. Chronos - Planetarium [Aquarius Edit]
4. Astropilot - Voda
5. Aes Dana - Cyan
6. Kanc Cover - Sugar Rush [Co-produced by Martin Freeland] - Kanc Cover rework]
7. Shakri - Lysergic Atmosphere
8. Zymosis - God Is Mine [DJ Zen extended remix]
9. RA - Creation Of Tefnet

Water is the second compilation by Altar Records in the "Element Series" which will be released throughout 2009, 2010. Such compilations include Air (released), Water, Fire, and Earth. The compilation begins with an ambient influenced trance number by Asura and ends with RA. Song's throughout the middle consist of mainly down and mid-tempo numbers in the Psy/Chill genre. A full review ensures.

1. Asura - Marianna Falls starts off the compilation with an atmospheric and chilling, yet dreamy and gripping opening. The beat takes a backseat to the transparent harmonies, soundscapes, and ambient backdrops. The song begins with an arresting ambient score and builds to a chilling shift at 2:36. Sounds as if hundreds of little insects are in motion sprinkle across the atmosphere. A fusion feeling emerges throughout the growing layers, accompanied beat, though softer than Asura's previous tracks in general. The slow kicks escapes around 4:20 for an emotive interlude. This is a thoughtful piece; it's more artistic and compelling than Asura's song on the previous Water compilation, though that was one of the better tracks as well. The beat picks up in the final act along with numerous placed elements; a euphoric buildup and release takes place which enhances the track. This is an elegant, romantic number. A-

2. Androcell - Seahorse Dreams starts interesting, with psychedelic alterations; sounds as if winding up various toys in an oriental toy store. The lush backdrop is meditative, ambient, sounds of ocean waves, wind, and air. gentle female voice sets a meditative mood before exiting softly close to the beginning. The oriental melody work is catchy; a tasty skipping sound a la Shpongle and earlier Aes Dana compliments it. The melody/sound work, a violin and/or guitar is effective too, giving the track an organic feel to the various, worldly ingredients integrated. The real star is the oriental melodies along with the flowing atmosphere. Good track. B

3. Chronos - Planetarium [Aquarius Edit]'s first 2-3 minutes develop a healthy stream before the first drum arrives. A little chiming melody teases as the beat pics up; sounds as if a door is opening take place around 3:30. It's interesting. The first melody plays more as chiming notes around 3:56, like a slow ride on a golden pony across the deserts of Egypt before a brief moment of contemplation, interlude arrives. Sounds of what seems to be deep drops or bubbles of water occur as the thick atmospheric, enhancing the returning rhythm at 3:37. This is one of my favorite parts on the album; the music movies rhythmically like liquid, or a flowing stream, painlessly, perfectly. Around 5:25 a key flows into the fusion; a strong, albient slow, orieiental lead arrives at 5:52. The sound shifts higher, though this moment lasts 1-2 minutes, it's effective. Great track. B+

4. Astropilot - Voda is begins ambient/atmospheric with a floating introduction. What sounds like a rattle snake slithers across the beat-free textures. Soon an aggressing beat emerges, lifting to the senses. It is around this beat that an infectious, little clicking and echoed sound appears. The sound works extremely well, a little infection similar to small, highly enhancing bits mixed in from old school Space Cat, Toi Doi, and more recently, Merrow. It's gripping. The overall song is more progressive than previous numbers however, though the second half lets go of the clever sound for a continuously albeit driving mid-speed ethereal fusion, signed with flutes, and a breezy, romantic atmosphere. Key changes are seldom used, though in a good way. I love how the song picks up, its distinguishing parts, and the incorporation of a sound earlier on. Cool track! B+

5. Aes Dana - Cyan begins relaxing, with various sounds being curiously added before a strong, mid-tempo beat kicks in. A driving melody arrives at at 3:12, giving direction and grip. Echoed male sounds, like an Indian chanting (think Aes Dana's manipulating voice work) are played with, though I prefer the female, spliced up voice work on the artist's Lysistrata track. It works fine here for me. Only gripe is the main, driving melody/sound that began at 3:12; it loops like the beat, though appears almost halfway through, more evolution, a little more work could have developed this number into something great, something far more tasty, creative, and arresting. Fortunately, once the song gets going, it sounds pretty good; attractive elements are integrated around the beat as one may imagine from Aes Dana. The song is pretty good, better than the artists track on the previous compilation I heard by him, just not what I consider great. B-

6. Kanc Cover - Sugar Rush [Co-produced by Martin Freeland] - Kanc Cover rework] was the one track I was most unsure about initially, primarily because I miss and love Man With No Name's earlier work (first two albums and various singles). I love Martin's Goa/Psy and ambient work. I can still hum them via memory, tracks like Azymuth, Vavoom, and numerous others. Furthermore, I really like his the old school Sugar Rush track which many consider a gem/classic in Goa/Psy-Trance. So that may explain the reason why I felt uncertain when I saw an artist whom I've never heard of before doing a chill rework to one of the best Goa tracks. I suppose I should reiterate not to judge a book by its cover. To my surprise, the rework version here (it's not a cover) appears to have been done by someone with a tremendous appreciation and passion for the original that inspired it. Kanc's track captures the essence of the classic, never striping it of its beauty, but highlighting its strengths. The song is beautiful, sad, provocative, arresting, and passionately produced. It is a respectful approach to a wonderful original from my favorite genre; Goa/Psy-Trance will always have a place in my heart. To the contrary, full on versions of old school gems over the years (Transwave, 2009 anyone?) have tarnished numerous tracks for me. However, this reminds me why the original was so well done. The artist let's the magical melody breath with high production values today and acknowledges Sugar Rush's roots with more than a nod. I'm really curious to hear what other people and fans think of this one. A-

7. Shakri - Lysergic Atmosphere is a strong and tasty, higher energy return after the previous more relaxing number. Coupled with L.S.D. samples we rarely seem to hear anymore; the song is like a strong Goa/Psy dance track set to mid-tempo. Cool atmosphere arrives in various waves, flowing across the synth and sound/melodies to the aggressive, higher octane energy and beat. I don't mind the samples too much, though I'm glad that the compilation stayed away from them for the most part. After the previous, slower track, this one offers a desired dose of adrenaline. Great track. B+

8. Zymosis - God Is Mine [DJ Zen extended remix] is epic; at 13:36, the artist(s) really took a chance here. Fortunately it's well done, with enough variety and movement to keep it solid. I give credit to any artist or great who can keep me interested for ten minutes, let alone closer to fifteen. I could write a longer paragraph how the song has an interlude that lasts for 3:50, though I don't care for the transisional grown around 3:45 which branches one section to the next; the effect sounds dark, a bit awkward for the gentle when compared to surrounding work. The song itself branches into various downtempo styles, from experimental, instrumental, trance, ambient, tribal, Psy what appears to be electronic orchestra. One of my favorite parts is from 8:00 to 8:18; this part could open for a new track by Solar Field's - Movements style and I'd never know it. Suddenly tribal drums and a building beat arrive, complimenting a piano, various melodies, harmonies, and a subtle atmospheric backdrop. Another stand out part begins around 8:55 with distorted strings; they're catchy, play well around the rhythm, and make a return in the eleventh minute. My only gripe is that parts of the track earlier on felt less arresting than the ambient, tribal, strings, and danceable/chilled trance fusion developed later on. Overall, this is a good track with some great elements or vice-versa. B+

9. RA - Creation Of Tefnet follows up their moving, chilled style with a strong refreshment. The ancient influenced piece reminds me of a more colorful cross between their cool Egypt-esque track on the Twist Dreams compilation, along with their wonderful down/mid-tempo work on 2008's album of the year according to Psynews.org, 9th. The song is filled with life; numerous attractive layers build around a delectable lead, and arrive at a crossroads with additional strength. I like their song here more than their number V/A - Air, primarily because it doesn't sound as similar at times (to me) to the song I heard by them on 2008's Sundrops compilation. Yet the track here is strong and elegant, utilizing pitches, quick turn ups in melodic sound. The song has a positive sound while never getting cheesy. It flows smoothly throughout, and leaves a solid lasting impression to a strong compilation. A-

In conclusion, I find Water a noticeable step up from Altar Record's previous compilation; Water is more consistent, mature, and fluid from start to finish, and offers a healthy combination of down and mid-tempo Chill/Psy tracks. No song is average or below. Each one provides something strong and distinct. Asura's track for instance, is a beautiful space opera number; the middle core of the album is healthy, and the re-work of Sugar Rush never sounded so good since, well the original Sugar Rush by Martin Freeman, Man With No Name. Overall V/A - Water is one of the most solid compilations of 2009, especially for the Psy/Chill (down/mid-tempo) genre. It's better than V/A - Air, and currently making my top 10 Psy album list for 2009.

Favorite tracks - 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9.

B+

Samples / Order

http://altar.fonderieart.com/water.html

http://altar.fonderieart.com/preorders.html

onionbrain
Onionbrain

Started Topics :  25
Posted : Jul 11, 2009 21:24
very beaultiful sounds here.

nice compilation!
Kanc Cover
Goasia/Opsy

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Jul 11, 2009 21:26
Quote:

6. Kanc Cover - Sugar Rush [Co-produced by Martin Freeland] - Kanc Cover rework] was the one track I was most unsure about initially, primarily because I miss and love Man With No Name's earlier work (first two albums and various singles). I love Martin's Goa/Psy and ambient work. I can still hum them via memory, tracks like Azymuth, Vavoom, and numerous others. Furthermore, I really like his the old school Sugar Rush track which many consider a gem/classic in Goa/Psy-Trance. So that may explain the reason why I felt uncertain when I saw an artist whom I've never heard of before doing a chill rework to one of the best Goa tracks. I suppose I should reiterate not to judge a book by its cover. To my surprise, the rework version here (it's not a cover) appears to have been done by someone with a tremendous appreciation and passion for the original that inspired it. Kanc's track captures the essence of the classic, never striping it of its beauty, but highlighting its strengths. The song is beautiful, sad, provocative, arresting, and passionately produced. It is a respectful approach to a wonderful original from my favorite genre; Goa/Psy-Trance will always have a place in my heart. To the contrary, full on versions of old school gems over the years (Transwave, 2009 anyone?) have tarnished numerous tracks for me. However, this reminds me why the original was so well done. The artist let's the magical melody breath with high production values today and acknowledges Sugar Rush's roots with more than a nod. I'm really curious to hear what other people and fans think of this one. A-

Huh! Thank you so much for that kind of inspirative comment. Work with me so well
Anyway there is few things that you wrote about approach to the production of this track rework.
First of all I really appreciate that you notice that this is not remix or cover version of track for which many thought that it is. Actually thats the most inmportant thing here. You describe, by your vision, how the artist, in this case me, felt at the moment of makinng track. It is correct and will tell you my short story.
According to that I'm quite long in electronic music, especially trance, I was "addicted" and can say that still I am, on Man With No Name music. Every time I heard "Sugar Rush" I experienced it as ambience version cause theme in track, especially main melody is totally on that way. I constantly bethink about that how this track would sound as ambient version.
Idea for remake was born many years ago but I never felth that I'm ready to do it. I had that fear about destroying great original versions, espelially classic tracks like this one. However year back I tried finaly and its sound pretty good to me. Of course, even in one moment I never thought to cut samples from the original. I asked a few friends from the same "world" of music production, what they think about and
I got a "green light". Wasn't shore about releasing long time after and one day I contacted Martin to ask him about oppinion for that rework. After his positiv feedback I've decide to release this track with out any pressure.
I know that tastes are different and that someone will like it and someone not, but I feel so satisfied about that
Also I noted that lot of people was skeptical about this track, which is totally normal. Even I was, but it's so glade that so far people like it my long time vision of such a great trance hit.
Thank you man for support this rework, especially cause it was so hard, mentally and physically, for making
Best
Kanc
          http://www.soundmute-recordings.com/xsite/artists/opsy.html
http://www.soundmute-recordings.com/xsite/artists/kanc_cover.html
http://www.soundmute-recordings.com/xsite/artists/rezolut.html
http://www.soundmute-recordings.com/goasia-project/
insane
Silent Horror

Started Topics :  67
Posted : Jul 11, 2009 21:26
difficult to hav a fav in here nice compilation overall           ------------------------------
NEMESIS - DEVILSMIND RECORDS - 2007
PATTERNS EP - DEVILSMIND RECORDS _ 2009
SEANCE - DEVILSMIND RECORDS - 2011
PATTERNS II EP - DEVILSMIND RECORDS _ 2013
KanibaL HolokausT
KanibaL HolokausT

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Jul 29, 2009 21:25
As I told already, this compilation is masterpeace totally. Guys do amasing job. Asura and Aes Dana as always pure spirit of slow floating emotions. Astropilot and Chronos comes with great melodies and rhythms. Kanc Cover makes excellent rework. Lot of remixed tracks nowdays and mostly not that much good as original vibrations, but in this case no words to describe. First of all totally new approach to different style of original treac. Thank you for refreshing great memories after succefull trance hit from last milenium. And of courrse, rest of artists from VA, huge tnx for your peace of magnificent work here. Respect!
BTW, Jon, very deeply and understandable review. Awesome!!!           www.grotesque-records.com
www.myspace.com/kanibalholokaust
www.myspace.com/odium32
Dr Cisma

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Jul 30, 2009 17:57
Excellent review for excellent release.
Way2Go!!!
J.D. Jason

Started Topics :  3
Posted : Sep 24, 2009 16:21
Very very VERY great compilation with awesome artists.
Excellent review as well.
My expectations for next are huge!
DETOX
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  296
Posted : Jan 2, 2010 03:29
Amazing review for an AMAZING compilation.

The Chronos track especially is just magical.

Discovered Altar Records just last night by accident and i am a dedicated fan already.

Going to order all of their catalogue in the next days,it really worths every single penny.

This is music the way it should be.           Toodaloo Motherfuckers!!!!!
V3NOM
Inactive User

Started Topics :  131
Posted : Feb 2, 2010 04:40
Really nice and special compilation here.

Very hard to choose a favourite, but for me the Asura track is just mind blowing!

I have done a few sets at local bars & cafes around my area just using the 3 compilations from Altar & the reactions on a Sunday arvo in summer have been great to see.

Pre-ordered "Earth" already & am eager for it to come out           I hate you, you hate me, we are all so hap hap happy!
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Water (Altar Records, 2009)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance