Trance Forum » » Forum  Electronica - V.A. - Verve Remixed 3 [2005]
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V.A. - Verve Remixed 3 [2005]

Hagai
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  14
Posted : Jan 26, 2006 03:17
I was thinking what a more suitable place to write this review; in here or the Chill-out section, but decided it fits here more, since it's more on the experimental and free style side of things...

This compilation is the 3rd in it's series, the Verve Remixed (there is also an unmixed series), the concept in here is mixing old school jazzy stuff; Billie Holiday, Nina Simone, Shirley Horn, Hugh Masekela to name of few, and taking it on a whole new level with modern day electronic music...

the results for my opinion is brilliant, really retro / lounge downtempo, with a funky twists and different moods, that you can chill-out too and also really get inside the music...

Nina Simone - Little Girl Blue (Postal Service Remix) 05:18

The whole thing, begins with a very mellow piece; it has lush vocals, taken from the original song, that really wraps with warm, fuzzy feeling... kind of moody, suits good for rainy days, and lazy saturdays; it has the occasional bleep and blops here and there, that overall gives this song a nice treatment...

Billie Holiday - Speak Low (Bent Remix) 04:22

A very retro feeling, with deep melancholic atmosphere, one of my favorites here, sad little number with Billie Holiday husky, deep voice singing about "love is a spark, lost in the dark...", very deep and retro, those are the words I can describe it.

Anita O'Day - Sing, Sing, Sing (RSL Remix) 06:08

wow, this is a funky-ass piece of music, Anita O'Day's singing really make you wiggle your ass: "sing, sing, sing, sing, everybody's starts to swing", it brings joy to me everytime I hear it, sounds like something taken from an old smokey jazz bar in the 50's, with the great funky jazz singing, and the trumpets and everything else around, is just a big carnival, delightful stuff !!!

Sarah Vaughan - Fever (Adam Freeland Remix) 04:38

Fever is a very well-known theme, that you will recognize as soon as you hear it, gets a fresh new treatment here, and it sounds good, giving it more on the groove section, making it sound really electronic and updated... it's good and uplifitng, wonderful stuff !

Shirley Horn - Come Dance with Me (Sugadaddy Remix) 04:40

One fellow from Groove Armada, and another guy called Tim Hutton adds to this song a whole new dance-house aspect, with House influences, and some great groove that make it sound really dirty; great piano line and the rusty voice of Shirley Horn on the lead... also one of the best in here, I love it very much !

Blossom Dearie - Just One of Those Things (Brazilian Girls Remix) 04:48

it's a pretty uptempo number, with some slight Techno riffs, and fast rhythm grinding along, the fast singing of the original lyrics is done nicely, and overall it doesn't really hits the spot, the Techno riffs and high BPM doesn't sound that right to me, but overall this is not bad.

Astrud Gilberto - The Gentle Rain (RJD2 Remix) 05:59

This is also one of the highlights of the album, very relaxing, and loungey feeling; the song just wraps you around with it's warm feeling, and gentle touch, the singing in here is very mellow, and there's a piano line the plays all along, that really adds to the overall great feeling !

Sarah Vaughan - Peter Gunn (Max Sedgley Remix) 05:07

another very well-known theme in here also, I think the melody is taken from one of James Bond's movies (am I correct ?), the main theme is absolutly contagious, and the overall effect is very dramatic, and the whole thing sounds well thought of, a proffesional work.

Jimmy Smith - Stay Loose (Lyrics Born Remix) 3:19

a short piece, funky, bluesy, happy... the Jimmy Smith singing is just wonderful, and the trumpets that follows along; the song is twisting and grooving, really funky stuff, that sounds so much freestyle... one of my favroties as well !!

Hugh Masekela - The Boy's Doin' It (Carl Craig Remix) 06:27

Hugh Masekela has a great voice, singing here in the bluesy way; the song combines technoish beats with cool trumpets, and nice rhythm to go with it, pretty minimal, but nonetheless works really good

Nina Simone - Lilac Wine (The Album Leaf Remix) 05:45

this is very delusional, stoned out music; you get here Nina Simone singing about how she like wine and everything is so hazey... and the dreamy melodies on the background, gives it a very weird atmosphere, very good for smoking and just chilling out too, very chilled piece with a twist...

Billie Holiday - Yesterdays (Junior Boys Remix) 02:25

super-slow, Lounge track with big retro feel to it, it's just a short filler, but very chilled-out and smooth, really enjoyable...

Dinah Washington - Baby, Did You Hear ? (Danger Mouse Remix) 03:31

for the closing song, we get a more on the hip-hop side of things, really fresh sounding; nice hip-hop like beats, and cool ending for this wonderful release.

i'm sorry if my review is too long to read, but when I start, I just cannot stop or make myself short; if you really read the review you probably know by now that this is a really rare collection, of fun and freestyle music, good for background music, for evenings at home, or saturday, or just chilling out too, this is a magnificent work, and I recommand it to everyone, and people that didn't read my review, this is very different and alternative kind of music - if you like old Jazz, Nu-Jazz, Lounge / Chill-Out, Bossa-Nova, Electro, Freestyle... this is one of the best thing that i've ever heard, such good and intersting music, HIGHLY RECOMMANDED.

also, there are vol. 1 & 2 that should be even better, my order is already on it's way !

PEACE
Outolintu
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  63
Posted : Jan 28, 2006 10:21
good to see a fresh, more in depth, review
in this section too. keep 'em coming

i have vol.1 and vol.2. i think it's a mastermind of a concept from verve: keeping oldskool jazz alive and introducing it to the "electronica" generation through famous producers doing remixes of classic jazz tracks and then hooking you up with the unmixed series . go with the flow, indeed.

"no one ever sweats on a plug-in" -moby
Trance Forum » » Forum  Electronica - V.A. - Verve Remixed 3 [2005]

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance