Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Uplifter Sessions Vol. 2 (Mental Arts 2004) CD
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A - Uplifter Sessions Vol. 2 (Mental Arts 2004) CD

DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : Jul 20, 2004 00:53
V/A – Uplifter Sessions Vol. 2

Cover: http://img23.exs.cx/img23/7669/MA008_uplifter_vol2_cover_web1.jpg

Format: CD
Artist: Various
Title: Uplifter Sessions Vol. 2
Label: Mental Arts, Germany
Distribution: Midijum Global Distribution
Cat. #: MA008
Date: July 30th
Year: 2004

Track listing:

01. 07’25” Klopfgeister – How to Become a Psychic
02. 07’55” Neelix - Relict
03. 08’38” Alfredo Garcia - Enlightenment
04. 08’53” Oszilla – Tantal Tactus
05. 07’55” Twelve Monkies – No DJ to Fcuk With!
06. 07’52” Oszilla - Halluneopren
07. 05’34” Audiomatrixx - Flavanoid
08. 08’42” Neelix - Alcatraz
09. 08’29” Alfredo Garcia – 51th State

Review:

Uplifter: Mental Arts compilation Vol. 2

To be honest, I knew next to nothing about the German prog label Mental Arts before this CD landed in my mailbox… And the first look at the track listing didn’t exactly help much… Well, I’d heard of Oszilla and Neelix before, but that was it… But hey, that should deprive my review of the most obvious preconceived opinions – which is a good thing! Anyway, this compilation show-cases some of the new German prog-artist signed to Mental Arts along with a couple of “old-timers”… The whole thing is compiled by DJ Joyrider who also compiled the first Uplifter compilation released last year… Adelante!

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: [137 bpm] First newbie is Klopfgeist - showing us how to become a psychic… ;o) The intro is calm and floating – organic even… But slowly more and more percussion is added along with some subtle psychedelic FX – and before you know it, the track is in full motion… Tribal, percussion driven, atmospheric prog-track… Minimal at times, funky at others… I dig the “reverb-sound” that is present here (and in most progressive trance tracks at the moment)… Very tasty! Not a bad debut for the knocking spirit!

#02: [142 bpm] Nelix released his debut album on Mental Arts last year, and has also released stuff on YSE Records and Phonokol… Relict starts out slow, and then a persistent, boring analogue bassline is introduced… But luckily, Neelix adds enough organic elements and funky percussion to make the whole thing groovier as it progresses… I like how he plays around with the listener – clever use of driving percussion… It builds all the way through… And to top it of, a couple of independence quotes from the movie ‘The Patriot’ …Ok track!

#03: [136 bpm] For undisclosed reasons, this tune starts out with corny rave samples from a British flick called “Saving Grace”… I’ve never heard of Mr. Garcia before, but it sure is well-polished… The style is somewhat housey, leaning towards tech… Not bad, but not very psy either… Decent track!

#04: [138 bpm] Ah, this is more like it… Andreas Weber aka Oszilla – is best known for his Psysolation/Insolation releases… And we get some psy-influenced progressive trance here… Again, very well-polished – with distinctive house-influences… But it gets harder as the track progresses… The second half of the track is definitely my fav’e… nicht revolutionär, aber gut dennoch!

#05: [139 bpm] Twelve Monkies is well-known in and around the Hamburg trance-community – but this is my first encounter with him/her/them!?... This is the “funny” track, packed with all kinds of lengthy sci-fi/Agent Smith/etc samples… The track itself is on the more progressive side - guitar-driven with a touch of psychedelic acid… If this had +10 bpm it could have easily been on a Pavarti-compilation… Nice track, I like the oddball approach… Word!

#06: [134 bpm] The 2nd Oszilla track is the slowest on the compilation… Why didn’t put this as the first track to secure a smoother flow!? This is percussion track – with male vocals/sinning… But somehow Mr. Weber manages to squeeze a little psy into this track – especially towards the end where the percussion is kinda cool… To be honest, I hated this track the first time I heard it… I was a real stinker, but somehow it has grown on me… It’s just not enough – sadly it never reaches an above-average standard…

#07: [140 bpm] Combine the talent of Magnetrixx + Audiomatic and you have Audiomatrixx… First Buzzmonx did it – and now Audiomatrixx… Seems that the double ZZ’s are the hip thing to do in German electronic collaborations at the moment… After a nice floating intro and some Halflife samples we are treated to a fine, deep bassline… Steadily pumping alongside some twisted congas and jolly, floating melodies… This is very well-produced, modern progressive trance a la 2004… Well done Audiomatrix! Only flaw this track has: it’s too short!

#08: [140 bpm] Neelix doesn’t waste time on his 2nd track – it launches straight into a kicking, flat bassline accompanied by random bleeps and twists – and the mandatory movie/game samples… The bassline is a little to anonymous for my taste, but besides from that, the track is quite ok…

#09: [140 bpm] Final track is the second instalment of Alfredo Garcia and this has a somewhat darker, more pounding beat… I’d even go as far as calling the bassline phat – it definitely gets my toe wiggling… Sweet tribal-like percussion and nice echoing FX… Very nice track!

I don’t know what to make of this compilation… On one side, it’s a collection of nice, driving “nu-school” progressive trance tracks – but on the other side, it’s not really the huge, progressive monster compilation I could have hoped for… I mean, it’s not really revolutionary – but it’s not bad either…Somewhere in between I think…

All in all: Uplifter vol. 2 passed the test – without being ostentatious! However, there is a handful of lovely tracks here, and if you can handle cross-over material ~ if you like house music and progressive trance with a touch of psy-trance – you’ll like this compilation… But open-mindedness towards genre-defying music is a definite must to appreciate this compilation…;o)

7/10

Favourites: 1, 5, 7 (!), 9 (!)

DeathPosture

External links:
Mental Arts: https://products.mental-arts.com/index.cgi?project=uplifter_vol2 (Audio samples available!)
Medijum Global Distribution: http://www.midijum-records.de

Should be available shortly @:
http://www.psyshop.com
http://www.saikosounds.com
http://www.trance-shop.com

And you’ll be able to buy an mp3 version @:
http://www.clickatrack.com

On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
homsy
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  158
Posted : Jul 31, 2004 16:51
MENTAL ARTS RECORDS(MA008) - COMPILATION - UPLIFTER SESSION VOL.2 CD

Track list:
1. How to become a psychic - KLOPFGEISTER
2. Relict - NEELIX
3. Enlightenment - ALFREDO GARCIA
4. Tantal Tactus - OSZILLA
5. No Dj to fcuk with! - TWELVE MONKIES
6. Halluneopren - OSZILLA
7. Flavonoid - AUDIOMATRIXX
8. Alcatraz - NEELIX
9. 51th State - ALFREDO GARCIA

Released: July 2004

http://www.mental-arts.com

The people at Mental Arts sure know what they are doing, delivering, in my opinion, the most "together" selection of deep, dark, psychedelic & magical selection of psy/progressive trance this year.
An enormous selection of highly addictive tracks bearing an amazing flow which makes the listening experience a divine one.
A selection of music which is TRUE, psy/progressive which is close to its roots disowning all of the fluffiness & clubiness the progressive market has been infected with lately. Progressive trance full of psychedelic stories & great moment.
All perfectly oriented to lift off any dance floor. Intelligent music at its best.
I would like to salute DJ Joyrider for selecting & putting together this excellent release. RECOMMENDED!!!

Release information:
Play this at night outdoors and you might see some magic happening.
The network of artists associated with Mental Arts is growing and Dj Joyrider has picked the cream of the crop.
This colorful bag of exclusive progressive-trance is an unique expression of the German 'nu-school' and is designed to create those 'deep' moments on the dancefloor.
          Trancelucent Productions
http://www.trancelucent.com
----------------------
Boa Distribution
| info@boadistribution.com | http://www.boadistribution.com | FAX: +972-46101463 | Tel: +972-524742297 |
--------
PSYMAG.COM - GLOBAL TRA
Mari.Morgan

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Jul 31, 2004 17:02
I think this will work nice in parties from 00:00 till 03:00
          if you have psyvideos and you want to exchange, contact me !

BoOoOoM ShanKar !
Nocturnum
Sensum

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Aug 1, 2004 04:05
i've been lucky to watch the progress of alfredo garcia quite closely, and i will say this........
keep both eyes peeled for this artist, he will make a very deep impression on alot of you out there, with his - (put quite nicely by deathposture)
"polished style" of music.
keep bangin' ulf.
boom - russ
Shithit89
Alfredo Garcia

Started Topics :  15
Posted : Aug 2, 2004 17:24
Thx, guyz!

Great to see that some ppl recognized the uplifter session and I really hope that you all will enjoy what your ears will get to listen to on this compi!

And heyho Russ...thx for your nice words...hope I will conquer your hopes in my person...!

Greetz,.., cya!
psionic nomad
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  253
Posted : Aug 2, 2004 18:18
hey alfredo luck with this one
Shithit89
Alfredo Garcia

Started Topics :  15
Posted : Aug 3, 2004 18:22
I hope I will have...!
snowflake

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Aug 10, 2004 15:28
very nice release this one...

Tweleve Monkies, Alfredo Garcia - keep up the good work and i'm sure we'll be hearing plenty of you in the coming future!

Audiomatrixx - what can I say.... pure gold, loved this one!           Out Here We're Stoned....
Twelve Monkies
Twelve Monkies

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Aug 20, 2004 16:00
have phun playing this cd on parties and moving the crowd with it ... maybe someone could give a little feedback, who heard some of this on a dancefloor, believe it or not, never heard my song on an aceptable PA ...

*sights*
Jingabé
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Sep 1, 2004 12:44
Cool release from Mental Arts!

Liked very much both Neelix tracks and Halluneopren by Oszilla.
Good tracks also by Klopfgeister and Audiomatrixx.
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Uplifter Sessions Vol. 2 (Mental Arts 2004) CD

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance