Cat. #: TRANR648CD
Release date: 23rd. February
Year: 2004

Track listing:

01. 08’21” Aphid Moon – Superfly
02. 06’37” Error Corrective – Secret Lab
03. 07’35” Fortu - Fiver
04. 07’53” Compressor – Saw Dust
05. 08’20” Dino Psaras – Daisy Cutter (Remix)
06. 08’11” Voice Of Cod – Art Of Feng Shui
07. 06’52” Tristan – Dawn Raider
08. 08’36” Mumbo Jumbo – Mystereons (Annarchy vs. Dickster Rmx)
09. 08’41” Cosmosis & Mumbo Jumbo – Just Say Now (The Melodic Mumble)

Review:

I usually stay clear of compilations sporting the words “Trance” or “Psychedelic” – and U.K. label Transient is notorious for committing just such crimes… But the track list on this looks damn appealing… Ranging from up and coming talents to well established dinosaurs of the UK psytrance scene…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Some bands just have a very distinct, unique sound, and Aphid Moon is one of them…The signature sound is very much present in this blasting opener … Actually, it’s jaw-breaking boring at first, but then it slooooooowly, but steadily builds into a massive wall off sound. What an amazing, rolling, long-lived, dark monster of a build-up… Oh yes, this will definitely turn some heads! Ace track!

#02: Alright, Error Corrective launches straight into psy-madness a couple of seconds into the track… I have no idea who these newbies are, but they sure know how to make gritty, dirty night time trance… I like the use of crystal clear, yet dark industrial sounds – kinda like a secret lab from a Bond flick, stashed deep inside a mountain… Cool track!

#03: Fortu, another newcomer slips us a fiver… Thanks mate! This is another, driving track that builds and builds all the way from start to finish… Actually, the first 3 minutes isn’t all that… But the rest, more than makes up for it… Anyway, it has these amazing synth lines, which will just blow you away… This is to be played very loud, very late at night, in dark, deserted warehouses… This will haunt you! Cool track!

#04: More n00bs – this time London gangsters Compressor, with some saw dust… Check out the very familiar melody @ around 3’00 – nice. This is yet another driving little beast of a track… This fits in perfectly after the two building, driving night tracks before it… This continues in the same path, with even more building going on… This is Bob the Builder of UK trance! There is some serious, hard-core tweaking going one here, so this should satisfy any night time acid fan… I like it anyway – cool track!

#05: “It could not be repaired or restored” – Not a problem, let Dino remix it then! Yes it’s old-timer Dino Psaras, and he still knows how to make fresh, innovative trance… Remember those hard-hitting horror-elements from some of the old Cydonia tracks? Well, they’re still here – This is somewhat dark and tribal, yet ol’sKo0L funky and twirly with lots of diversity… I really like the percussion work here – oh, and funky ass bass line too… Great track!

#06: Voice Of Cod [which has Colin from O.O.O.D. as a member] gives us this jolly old morning-stomper… It kicks of with all kinds of weird animal-samples… Hehe, very funny – someone been sipping on grandpa’s magic monkey juice, eh? This is another cool track, packed with oriental samples, rock solid, full on melodies, funky experiments and Bruce Lee samples… What else do you need? Solid track!

#07: Another usual suspect, this time it’s good old Tristan – the renowned morning maestro! This is such an epic track… Well chosen name – this fits right in at dawn… Approaching the full on UK morning sound from a tech’y angle... There is so much going on here – all kinds of happy melodies, change of pace, bouncy bass…Aaah, this is so damn good! Especially the last couple of minutes really tickle me right where I like it! Mmm… Smashing track!

#08: Green nun Dick Trevor remixing Mumbo Jumbo… Looks pretty awesome on paper, doesn’t it?! Actually this is a lighter version of the original tune from last year’s ‘Speaking In Tongues’ album… This is kinda like a dogma version – lots of stuff have been peeled off, and then carefully rebuild with lots off different percussion, making it more tribal, thus hanging on to the super cool original melodies. This isn’t all that, but it’s still a cool track!

#09: Ahh, just listen to those wonderful artificial drips in the intro… You get an instant flashback to the original, classic Cosmosis/MumboJumbo track from 2000… Has it been 4 years already? Time flies when you’re having fun! ;o) This has been reworked by Transient’s own DJ Kuma and he’s done a pretty good job messing around with the crown jewels… He hasn’t changed too much – the basics are still intact… Slightly reworked melodies and some layers have been replaced by others… This is a good old classic in a new outfit… I just can’t say no to this… Ace track!

The UK scene is definitely back with a vengeance… We’ve seen a lot of solid released from the Anglo-Saxons lately, and this one is another stomper showcasing the rich, diverse talent of both well established big names and fresh new comers… What a great mix of new and old, ranging from jolly melodic marvels to dark, disturbed night tracks. You really get you moneys worth here.. I’m guessing we’ll hear a bunch of these tunes on the festivals this summer… There is so much great stuff here. Recommended!

8/10

Favourites: 1 (!), 5, 6, 7 (!!), 8

DeathPosture

External links:
Label: http://www.transient.com
Psyshop: http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/tra/tra1cd648.html (soundclips available)

On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
ChoBo
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  50
Posted : Mar 3, 2004 14:02
thanks for the nice review DeathPosture , i gave a few listening when it was released and i was really impressed. Nice UK and Transient
Kristian
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  93
Posted : Mar 3, 2004 17:43
CHEERS FOR THE REVIEW DEATH POSTURE.
VERY PRECISE DESCRIPTION OF TRACKS.

ChoBo THANKS AGAIN FOR THE NICE WORDS
psunspot
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  33
Posted : Mar 4, 2004 01:36
DeathPosture you write the best fuc*in reviews mate- i'm like hearing the music just reading

and yes these artists really reprazent ...gotta score this one soon

peace
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - UK Trance (Transient 2004) CD

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance