Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A Tropical Storm (W.F.C. Brazil October 2005)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A Tropical Storm (W.F.C. Brazil October 2005)

Trance2MoveU
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  50
Posted : Mar 8, 2006 05:32
I recently got this CD and was stunned that there wasn't a review for it yet. It was put together by my boys Killer Buds. You might remember their album "Interfiber Skunk", which I thought was great. I am not too familiar with a lot of the artists on this when I started, but who gives a crap. So let's see what be cookin!

1. Hyperspaced- Hyperceptiohnm Did I spell that right? We jump right into a nice, eerie melody that is growing in intensity. There are a lot of sounds but it isn't overpowering. They all fit. At the 2:40 mark we have the normal full-on bassline, but then a real nice melody weaves its way into my subconcious. It brings its friends psy and groove with him right into the first break. Good work. We launch into another lead and it carries us to the next break. At the 6 minute mark, sounds hit you from all sides and the head is definitely bobbing. Very good track! 8/10

2. Dreams- Life Style Once again I have no idea who this is. A very spacey start with popping leads and some evolving percussion. Again, lots of sounds, but none of them out of place. The bassline is a mover! I like that small "shiftlike" sound and the swirling lead in front of it. Nice! I look down at the 3 minute mark and my toe is still tapping. The break arrives at 3:30 but we are climing the mountain of sound till we get to a sample. Don't know what was said, but the rhythm is back. The last lead twists me, wraps me around its finger and makes me bowdown to that thumping bassline. Pretty good track. 7/10

3. Walking in the Lords Fields A Matrix sample, and at first I was nervous, but it is one that is not played to death. You kow the one, when he finally meets the creator of the Matrix, and has to try and save his girlfriend? Anyway, a bouncy bassline and a funky rhythm. The bassline becomes more normal, and is that a ringing telephone? Tweaked leads flow, amid some psy to bring us to the break and another Matrix sample. I'm not a big fan of this track as I feel it doesn't have a lot of variety and movement. No real plan. 5/10

4. Society- Audio-X Slowed down voice sample with hard percussion leads us to the standard full on bassline, but it seems to have some life. It sounds like some Electric piano to give it that "house feel" but it doesn't dominate. Stabs are all over the place. An acidic lead takes over with a simple melody. This track has power and very sharp sounds. At the 5:45 mark we get going and then the lead changes into another simple melody. Like I said, this track has power, but it is not overly special. 6/10

5. Cybernetic Dance- Energetic Vs. Cosmonet Hey more people I don't know of! But I like the way this one starts. A spacey lead sneaks in and leaves a couple of times amid a grumbling lead in the background. Then an aggressive bassline takes hold and the two start to combine. That simple melody evolves into a haunting one and we are moving now brother! Here come the "laser" sounds adding to the fear. Nice post apocalyptic sample and the haunting melody stays with us. That bassline will not let me go. I am caught up in the rhythm and drowning in a sea of psy-goodness! I look for an exit, but there is none. As I turn I am pelted with a Psywave that knocks me down. The break allows me to recover, but that damn bassline has me by the throat this time. The same sound brings in the eerie melody and I'm drowning...I'm sinking... Very good track! 8/10

6. Suspended In Space- Life Style Vs. Illuminatix "After taking LSD...you can do anything better than you did before" Really? Maybe I should...nah, I am too fucking old. Hit me bassline, and we shall move. We start moving at around the 1:45 mark with a plucky lead. Climax...with another LSD sample and then...POW! Right back into another arpeggio! This track also has power and a lot of descriptive samples about LSD. I like the growing bassline and lead crescendo beginning at 5 minutes as it evolves into another lead. Track has good pace and makes you want to move. Good Track! 7/10

7. Connection(Audio-X remix)- D-Tek Vs. Audio-X Hey, I know D-tek! This track starts with a hammering bassline and some spacey sounds. Sledgehammer bassline! We have congas and some acid! Sweet, sweet, acid. I can feel the track warming up like a hot pocket in a microwave, but it teases us. We haven't reached full power, and I am digging that "rusty gate" sound. Swirling lead amidst the acid and now we are flying! Can't breathe...can't...My end hasn't arrived yet as a slight break keeps me afloat. A harder lead drives us now, and a funky bassline a tone twists me. The acid line takes us to a conga break. If I look hard enough, I can see over the wave of sound...but it is right beneath me. Bubbling to the surface, struggling to break out. And Bam! ..the bassline shatters the reverie and I cannot control my feet. More power suckers! 8/10

8. Power- Energetic Yeah, I rock Short guitar lick and don't think I cannot see the psy stalking me from the left and right. Nice groove and another spooky melody. We are gliding alon as the lead grows, reaching..Oh crap, there is another one. Where the hell did those lasers come from? Nothing to do but submit! Here come the guitars agian at the break. Normally I don't like them in my psytrance, but this is driving and funky. Fuck yeah! But it gives you only a taste, as the lead evolves again to bring the guitars back. Sweet. I had to stop typing cause I was dancing! Break at 6:10 with a new lead. Frenetic...threatening...must escape! Right behind me..and then it overwhelms me! Sweet finish to this track! 8/10

9. Body active- Killer Buds Spooky, minor key atmosfear...from my boys! Ok..we need some variety here. that lead just kept going on and on. A slight change after 2:15 and now we get some motion. Ahh..there it is..Scary distorted leads! Melody, but not one you would bring to Electro Sun. Did that little girl just give me a science lesson? I have to say, I was disappointed by this track. It has power, but not a lot of variety. It doesn't really go anywhere and I know the can do better. 6.5/10

10. Jim's Thoughts- Insect Seeker You know, I heard that there are so many magnetic waves travelling through the air... I like this. Starts with a straight forward, pick you up and take you with me bassline. Stabbing leads and some lasers join the party with the hi-hats. Lots of sound, well placed. That acid drenched lead snaps me like an electrified fence. I can't tell what that sample is or saying because it is so distorted, but it adds to the feeling of this track. Lots of power, psy and general spookiness. This one is a mover. My favorite! 9/10

Conclusion This is a pretty good compilation. While there is nothing groundbreaking, there is plenty of power, psy, and movement in the tracks. I felt like they all made me want to get up and dance at some point and there were enough sounds to keep me interested. Besides, it is always cool discovering new artists. Keep up the good work!

Favorites: 10,1,2,8,5,7

Mdk
HanBaal

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Mar 15, 2006 04:26
first of all, thx for your reviews Trance2MoveU *bows*! Sometimes I think to myself how can tastes between people differ so much. When it comes to you though (and very few others, at least in the forums) it's incredible how our tastes match almost perfectly! It probably has to do with the fact that people review psytrance without a decent sound system... dunno really. For example, when you say something is nice I immediately go listen the samples ... when Acidhive says something is bad, I immediately go listen to it too lol. No offense intended Acidhive, tastes differ and we all must respect it.

Anways, Track 10 is the bomb here. Psy masterpiece. 'nuff said

I would have given Track 2 an higher grade...great track construction from start to end, including a very nice build up at 3.31 till 4.24. Not so much of a dancefloor bomb but very cool & catchy stuff! Same can be said of track 6, again with the presence of Life Style this time vs Illuminatix, though I prefer track2... more original and groovy

Track 7 is also an highlight. Not THE dancefloor bomb but very well built and very danceable! Good one.

Track 8 is a very nice surprise. Usually don't like guitars neither but the sample here is cool and fits very well with the rest of the music. Besides, the psy elements and the track construction are great! Another dancefloor bomb!

Track 5 would be the last one I would give a special mention and probably the highest alongside nr10 and nr8. Totally psy track and very well built! Definitely a dancefloor bomb!

Favs: 1, 2(!!), 5(!!!), 6, 7(!!), 8(!!!), 10(!!!)

Once again, thx a lot for your reviews Trance2MoveU. Wasn't it for you and I probably would have missed some of the great tracks in this compilation! BTW, can't wait for your review on THE 2006 album till now imho: Pitch Hikers' "Twilight Zone"!!! Keep it up & goin'!

bOOm
Trance2MoveU
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  50
Posted : Mar 15, 2006 22:35
HanBaal, it's funny you mentioned that album, as that was the next one I was going to review!

:listen Mdk
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A Tropical Storm (W.F.C. Brazil October 2005)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance