Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Platform 02 (Spiral Trax) [Nov. 2009]
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A - Platform 02 (Spiral Trax) [Nov. 2009]

J
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  193
Posted : Dec 9, 2009 16:00:31

Artist: Various
Title: Platform 02
Label: Spiral Trax
Genre: Progressive
Format: Compact Stick
Release Date: November 2009
http://www.psyshop.com/shop/Sticks/spt/spt1cs030.html
http://www.myspace.com/spiraltrax
http://www.spiraltrax.com/

Tracklisting:

01. Atmos - Ride The Flow (Neelix Remix) 06:21
02. Indepth - Everyone I Know (Atmos Remix) 06:13
03. Atmos - 46 Daz (Tomic Remix) 10:20
04. Atmos - Into The Groove (Aerodroemme Remix) 07:30
05. Xv Kilist - As Time Goes Byte 09:17
06. Indepth - Screw You (Tomic Rmx) 07:44
07. Atmos - To What My Mind Attend (Neelix Remix) 06:25
08. Sql - Micro Life 07:45
09. Atmos - Ride The Flow (Indepth Remix) 07:38
10. Indepth - Ginaton (Karl Johan Remix) 07:54
11. Karl Johan - I Wash Sundays (Indepth Remix) 07:35
12. Atmos - To What My Mind Attend (Karl Johan Remix) 08:46
13. Sleek - Whirlpool 07:55
14. Fred White - Altus 06:58
15. Gaudium - Funk Da Skunk 09:27
16. Paulina Cewe - Femtronics 08:09
17. Squared Curves - Marshmellow 08:53

Managed by nothing less than respected DJs Anti and Bakke, the swedish label needs no further introduction when it comes to good Progressive, top notch quality music.
Mostly focused on Progressive sounds with Techno influences, Spiral Trax has delivered some top notch music for some time now. And quality is always the most important matter on their releases, always keeping their high standards.
In this Compilation, they gathered 17 tracks on the Compact Stick format, combining many talented and respected artists, making an outstanding selection with Released and Unreleased material for our ears pleasure. And I must say they succeeded once again.

Let me take you through the tracks:

01 :: Atmos – Ride The Flow (Neelix Rmx)
One of today’s most promising german acts, here comes Henrik aka Neelix making a smooth intro to the album. Neelix’s music is pretty much similar, mostly with the basic elements that he enjoys. This is not different from the others. Powerful baselines and catchy melodies, with spread opened high hats and a driving leads. The robotic vocal is classy and trippy. Reminds me some movie soundtracks. I used to love Neelix’s work, but then it got too repetitive. But it’s still good and old Progressive.

02 :: Indepth – Everyone I Know… (Atmos Rmx )
Thomasz needs no further introduction. He’s definitely one of the most respect artists when it comes to Progressive. In this Remix, he delivers a magnificent tune, starting with some fresh cut melodies, very hypnotic, making space to the kicks and that AWESOME baseline. Than the melody kicks in, getting that nostalgic feeling from the original track. Powerful leads, hypnotic smooth breaks and mind driving synths made this one even better than the Original. Killer job.

03 :: Atmos – 46 Daz (Tomic Rmx)
Tomic is Thomas Wagner, a very talented artist from Germany. In this remix, he starts off with a sort of Michelle Adamson voice, and just floating deep, blending the soft clean kick with the percussion and a very cool melody. This is the perfect Progressive track, starting smooth and just progressing all the way to the baseline and synth leads. Percussion is awesome, in a tribal way. Ending in style as well, with the vocal opening up for the break. Smooth track.

04 :: Atmos – Into The Groove (Aerodrömme Rmx)
Aerodröme are Boris Kurtzman aka DJ Shankar and Steve Chan from Canada. This is the new generation of promising Canadian artists such as Taptwatr, Hidra and many more.
This track got me emotional when I 1st heard it. Smooth start, some deep alternated kicks, that original driving synth, kicking nicely to overcome my expectations when the baseline enters. The amazing vocal gave the track personality. The high hats are terrific and they make your head spin without any further notice. Very deep, melodic and uplifting at the same time. Great work mates.

05 :: XV Kilist – As Time Goes Byte
Dried cut kicks and sweeping melodies, a distorted and alternated baseline is the special touch Kilian Horvath aka XV Kilist gave to his track on the compilation. Is a nice blend of Techno and Progressive leads, very groovy and melodic, which should make an incredible response from the crowd. Nice track.

06 :: Indepth – Screw You (Tomic Rmx)
Here comes Thomas again with a great remix do Indepth’s gem. The Original is great, and Thomax did an excellent hob remixing it. Cool funky melodies and a very well handed baseline, and awesome fx’s just takes you on a deep trip to Progressive land. I think the mix between Techno and Progressive should be used more. Proggy baseline and leads, with a small touch of Techno atmosphere. Always a nice combination to hear.

07 :: Atmos – To What My Mind Attend (Neelix Rmx)
Didn’t like this track that much. Probably cause of the major amazing memories that I have from the Original, and the Karl Johan remix. It’s the same Neelix formula, if I may be franc. The same kicks, a powerful distorted baseline and spread frequency high rats and I didn’t enjoy the vocal and the breaks. Hernik is a very taltented guy, but I think he should consider making some improvements in his music. It’s been very similar to each other from some time now.

08 :: SQL – Micro Life
Pim van Horssen is SQL, also know as SeQueL. Now here we have a very talented, ORIGINAL artist. Pim has released a very unique sound in many respected labels. He’s music is what I like to call the best kind of blend between Progressive and Tech House. SQL’s music is perfect. It’s powerful, its hypnotic, it’s groovy and dark all at the same time. FX’s are high, but not too loud. Melodies are deep, but to boring. And atmosphere is just perfect for any dance-floor, be it Indoor or Outdoor. Watch out for this guy.

09 :: Atmos – Ride The Flow (Indepth Rmx)
Since I reviewed Indepth’s – Zero Sum, I just fell in love with his music. The original is one outstanding piece of music. And Mr. Shahar Melamed did an incredible job, making a combination of the original Proggy elements, to his Techno deriving influences, which create an incredible journey. Dry kicks and mind twisting melodies, making an incredible flow between melodies, high hats and baseline. The break in marvelous, and comes back like it should. Spread high hats and a deep distorted voice made it sound even better.
J
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Dec 9, 2009 16:00
10 :: Indepth – Ginaton (Karl Johan Rmx)
Karl Johan is one of my favorite artists now-a-days. His “It’s All Plastic” album changed my concept to Pogressive. I think it’s beautiful, and this Rmx for Indepth’s Ginaton is simply following his amazing talent.
Uplifting start, with some spread opened kicks, and the driving melody. This guy know how to create the atmosphere I look for in track. It’s powerful, but not noisy. Melodic, but not dead. Awesome synth leads, an amazing baseline and the high hats just make you pump your feet on the ground like you were dancing on the clouds. Fucking amazing. Loved it.

11 :: Karl Johan – I Wash Sundays (Indepth Rmx)
In this remix, Shahar Indepth gave his master touch to the brilliant Original by Karl Johan. The remix is Techno at it self. Indepth is one of my favorite Techno artists today, always delivering dance-floor bombs. There1s a heavy atmosphere in the beginning to create a good trip until the break, with a nice FX, followed by some robotic type synths and decreasing to create another huge comeback. Great techno remix for an awesome original track.

12 :: Atmos – To What My Mind Attend (Karl Johan Rmx)
Well here we have another Karl Johan masterpiece. Like mentioned before, this guy knows how to please my ears. Driving melodies, an incredible twisted vocal. His baselines simply amaze me. And the combination between melodies, high hats, synths and atmosphere, is just incredible. This is what Progressive should sound like imo. The break is also incredible, and comes back in style. Masterpiece. Wonderful.

13 :: Sleek - Whirlpool
Sleek is nothing less than Nicola Capo aka Liquid Soul. This one already started deep and heavy, with a powerful baseline / kick and some nice, the usual techno fx to create space for the high hats and the alternate leads. The melody is beautiful and creative, the break was well set and made an incredible joy ride with the rest. This is a perfect track from beginning to end in my opinion. Should work perfectly to any dance-floor as well. Nice one Capo.

14 :: Fred White - Altus
DJ Kvasi is the man behind Fred White. In the past 5 years, he has focused on producing Techno with Dark influences, making a good vibration for the crowd. With “Altus”, he did a good job while using Progressive elements to make a dark deep atmosphere. Regular track.

15 :: Gaudium – Funk The Skunk
Here comes Progressive old-timers Andreas Wennersköld and Denis Bajramovski aka Gaudium. This Progressive Techno gem is one of my favorites. Deep high charged baselines and driving leads, tribal percussion and a killer groove. Good track for transitions from Progressive to Techno. Good track.

16 :: Paulina Cewe - Femtronics
Paulina Cewe is a DJ and producer from Sweden, who's mainly focused on tribal techno & deep progressive trance, having many released in respected labels such as Iboga, AP and many more. Perfect combination of Progressive elements such as deep distorted baselines, catchy, driving and uplifting melodies, killer fx job and a terrific high hat. Some fast cuts and a beautiful atmosphere. I’ve always been very fun of her job. Didn’t disappoint me.

17 :: Squared Curves - Marshmellow
Squared Curves is Aris Rodis and Stephen Self. They met in London, and after many years of DJing, they started to make their own music, mostly Techno and Progressive House. This is a pure Progressive Deep Techno track, with a deep melody reminding some old Progressive. This is a very tripping track, emotive and beautiful. Nice for relaxing at one of your favorite spots. 

Bottom line:
Spiral Trax never disappoints me. Bakke and Anti know how to collect the best of the best. This release is oriented to any good music lover. It’s quality, feelings, creativity and diversity, pleasing both Techno and Progressive lovers.

Favorites: 2(!), 4, 8, 10(!), 12(!) and 13(!)

Another thing I forgot to mention: GO GET IT!

J.
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Dec 9, 2009 20:02
I've got the cd-release instead of the stick, but I can say that it's better than Platform 01 in my opinion. It's more varied and the tracks just have that little more character. Bakkelit 2.1 was great too, so Spiral Trax is definately back on track with this new release. My faves so far: Sql, Paulina Cewe, XV Kilist and Gaudium.           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
J
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Dec 17, 2009 18:26
2 comments, for such a great compilation...
Tasos_NOtrea
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Dec 17, 2009 21:36
Quote:

On 2009-12-17 18:26, John Doe� wrote:
2 comments, for such a great compilation...

Spiral Trax.. One of my favourite labels ever ...from their begging till Atmos - 2nd Brigade album was a leading label in the scene (and not only) that was pushing the boundaries and giving us some of the best tracks that psy trance or progressive trance scene offered..

after that some low quality releases came..the label closed due some economic problems...the piracy wasn't the only problem,I bet the low quality releases was.. many people got dissapointed from Spiral Trax (as me also) and stopped to buy the new releases from it..after a shut down Spiral Trax came back with Astrix!!(WTF!!!!) A realy bad come back.. Spiral Trax ended for me and for many people after the 2nd Brigade which is a superb album.. Now it's just another progressive trance label with a pinch of commercial tech sounds...
We don't want the old sound..We want the lost quality back with fresh sounds...Don't stuck to your connections and your neighbourhood friend artists.. There are plenty of high quality electronics around the globe and Sweden, it's not nessecery to release only music from progressive trance artists or sounds that are exclusive for psy crowds.. open your mind as you did a decade ago and then you will have much more support from people...

that's why only 2 comments for such "great" compilation

www.myspace.com/tasos_notrea
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1101850147&ref=name
http://soundcloud.com/tasos_notrea/sets/marchmix2012_techno
Tasos_NOtrea
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Dec 17, 2009 22:08
oh and as I always want to be fair to everyone the only good moment the last years for Spiral Trax is the SBK last album which is a big breath for the desperate Spiral Trax fans...
J
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Dec 18, 2009 15:14
Spiral Trax has lot to offer in imho.
Platform 01 was a good compilation. Same things can be said for Bakkelit and Indepth's "Zero Sum".
Not to mention Karl Johan's debut, which for me was one of the top, outstanding albums ever.

So perhaps you should give it a try once more, and forget about that period you've mentioned.
I'm sure you won't regret it.

J.
Tasos_NOtrea
IsraTrance Junior Member

Posted : Dec 18, 2009 16:02
Quote:

On 2009-12-18 15:14, John Doe� wrote:
Spiral Trax has lot to offer in imho.
Platform 01 was a good compilation. Same things can be said for Bakkelit and Indepth's "Zero Sum".
Not to mention Karl Johan's debut, which for me was one of the top, outstanding albums ever.

So perhaps you should give it a try once more, and forget about that period you've mentioned.
I'm sure you won't regret it.

J.

I tried it but these releases you mention sound boring and very ordinary.. I can find much more interesting music in the same style with Karl Johan and Indepth which is not coming from psy scene but from techno and tech house teritory.. Espesually Indepth's album sounds like an album made just from stereotypes without soul with sounds that I've listened million times before .. I realy like tech house and techno and this is the reason that don't like Karl Johan and Indepth..because they sound very cheap compared with techno scene..this goes with the most Iboga releases also... sorry for these words I use but this is what I feel, no offence to anyone
PsyTerrorist

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Dec 18, 2009 19:51
^^ agree. many progressive releases are becoming more and more predictable and boring, with the same "formulas". theres been a time i dont even bother to hear. of course all have "top notch" production but still too much of the same
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Platform 02 (Spiral Trax) [Nov. 2009]

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance