03. Enterprise / Lemon Tree
04. Bamboo Forest / Retrig
05. Overlap / Don't Ever Again
06. Polaris / Storm
07. P.O.G. / Echo Road
08. Vectro Electro / High Motion
09. Cosmic Tone / Jungle Voices
10. Initination / Birds Magic

P.A.N. feat. Protoculture open this album with Trio Electrico. It is full-on, though the thick layer of percussion doesn't suffer from any bassline overload. As the track develops elements enter with consistent good taste, there is some depth to the sound canvas, and it makes for a nice beginning. A favourite of mine, Neoris offers up track number 2: Dolphin's State. Easily one of the best tracks here, it is uplifting and melodic while possessing that techy percussive style that the Russians have made their trademark. The ocean sounds really give it some distinct character, the bass lines evolve and change over the course of the song, and overall it's eight minutes of beautiful psychedelic music. Enterprise, another Russian project from my understanding, shows some skills in the full-on vein with Lemon Tree. A relaxing segment partway through changes the pace for a moment then the drums come back - decent enough song though not a stand-out. Retrig by Bamboo Forest is an excellent song - deep full-on psychedelic trance with numerous layers, produced by a master of the genre. This group releases a lot of singles, many of which are just ho-hum, but this is a powerful bomb so intense you might be tempted to draw comparisons to the old Goa sound. Overlap, another facet of Neoris, presents another gem with Don't Ever Again. Deep and distinct, another great piece of modern full-on psytrance. Polaris - Storm is next... good melodic full-on but lacks distinguishing characteristics. P.O.G.'s Echo Road is the seventh track on this compilation - a driving track with sing-song voices and the usual full-on electric zipping sounds, later followed by some clear melodies. Production here doesn't sound up to par with the highlights of this CD. High Motion from Vectro Electro begins next - another somewhat mediocre song, likely amateur material from a newcomer using software. Cosmic Tone presents Jungle Voices, a single I can digest somewhat better outside of the full artist context (his recent release Going Solo suffered from being too similar throughout). This song isn't too deep, and the style is clearly influenced in some ways by the late and great Cosma, but this fails to measure up in any substantial way. Decent track - better than the previous two anyway. The last one is from Initiation and is called Birds Magic. It sounds like another amateur effort, with some more tribal elements. After the Overlap track the compilation heads downhill somewhat, but full-on lovers will probably like what I wasn't too keen on here, and we must make some allowances for their newcomer status

Full-on compilations can be very difficult to review... in these days where there is a lot of music coming out it matters more to be distinct than to merely be satisfactory. Luckily Harmonia Records has thrown several gems in with the chaff. Overall the style is very melodic through-out, even treading on old school vibes at some points. Neoris/Overlap & Bamboo Forest steal the show with a set of incredible tracks that make the purchase worth it. P.A.N. with Protoculture, Enterprise, and Polaris offer up some decent material, while I could have done without the rest. This new label from Greece has a bright future - keep an eye out for their future releases and good luck to them!

Buy it now, check out the samples & cover etc:
http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=4162
http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/har/har1cd001.html
http://www.chaosunlimited.co.uk/cgi-bin/product.asp?LR=HRCD01&TRM=harmonia
http://www.trance-shop.com/de/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3830
Misha(Overlap)
Neogen / Overlap

Started Topics :  29
Posted : Sep 3, 2004 00:02
overlap is Slava+Me..not face of neoris...neoris r split up! Neoris were Kiril polatavec and Slava Bogachev..in Overalp only slava from neoris:))))           Planet Ben Records
Basilisk
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  168
Posted : Sep 3, 2004 01:41
My mistake... I'll get it right one of these days
Great tracks guys, keep 'em rolling out...
Steve Sai
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  25
Posted : Oct 4, 2004 21:44
Thanks guys!!
soon our second v/a!
visit our website:
http://www.harmonia-records.com
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Perception [Harmonia 2004] CD

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance