Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page and 1 guest
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A One Dub (Interchill cd 036)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A One Dub (Interchill cd 036)

Le Lotus Bleu
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  114
Posted : Jun 18, 2009 17:07:42
Tracklist:

01. Sugar Minott - Take It Dub
02. Vibronics Feat. Macka B - Tired of the War
03. Gaudi - 100% Rootikal
04. Liquid Stranger - Welcome to My Culvert
05. Ashtech - Just Try
06. System Error Feat. Michael Rose - Time Bomb [Dub]
07. Luciano - What We Got To Do [GCorp Remix]
08. Ragana - Ah
09. Michael Rose - Throw Some Dub
10. Bush Chemists - Good Sensi Dub 2
11. Dr. Israel - Dub Inna Babylon
12. Big Bass Theory - All Of Us
13. International Observer - Binman Dub
14. Pushmipulyu - We Make it Work [Impossible Dub Mix]
15. Manasseh and Praise - Dub for Dennis

The compilation is scheduled for the 26th june.
The aim of One Dub is to deliver the largest offer possible as Dub's representation in all his splendour, btw be careful don't expect the famous psydub from Hallucinogen or Ott alike artists but more Reggae-Dub , roots or warm Dub productions here .

By Regaae-Dub, i specify that you can expect some lyrics contrary to common Psydub or variant forms of Dub, It'll be the case for the following tracks : 1,2,6,7,9,10,11 & it'll be woman even on : 8 which is less frequent to point out . The construction depending the tracks is either more focused on the hypnotizin force of the tune with loop constructions (Tracks 2) or on the melodic groove harmony done with the sung parts (Tracks 1,).

Among the rest of tunes, some reveals to be spacier, floating like The Gaudi's one.

Liquid Stranger delivers for his side, a raving tune with a special trembling bass lead, sort of sick bumblebee trying to regain the hive with stop & go moments.

We've got some Swaying & mischievous Dub thanks to Astech, happy vibes of course by here .

Pushmipulyu proposes a Dub slightly more experimental, notably through the rhythmic work, contrasting with many classic Dub songs or reggae-dub tracks here. Once again, here like oftenly in Dub, lots of echoes, but it's quite ok in this case, for me

Manasseh and Praise end up this v/a on a beautiful way with a muffled, emotional Dub based on violin melody & discrete whistle leads, very restful.

I just would also like to mention:

Some similarities between the Luciano's song & Was Not Was - Papa Was A Rolling Stone anthem.

I'm elsewhere a bit bothered with Michael Rose's track due to a massive oriented echo resonating direction choice. It's results slightly confused especially toward the second half, but i clearly know many are fond of this Dub genre & will surely gain its public (The Dr Israel's song also occurs in the this same category).

Perhaps if i should give a less successful track, i would give the prize on One Dub to Bush Chemists, it appears laziest on its production to me of the cd; without being awful though.

I think globally each fans of Dub should be able to pick up enough quality tunes in One Dub among the 15th tracks selected, despite some tracks they should eventually skip; as there are so many in different genres of style in order to satisfied everybody.
Mark: 7/10           you can find easily all my psytrance & chill reviews on my blog at:
http://www.myspace.com/le_lotus_bleu
Hugo

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Jun 20, 2009 06:09
I have to agree, the aim of One Dub is to deliver the largest offer possible of the Dub's forms.

The vocals and the instrumentation used become fluid, sometimes groovy or melodic, creating a dreamy, deep and heavy mysterious mind trip but always having an addictive reggae air. Is like being in Jamaica without paid-up a plane ticket.

This is still basically a great combination of dub-reggae, roots, modern dub but the techniques and the interpretation used in each track is worthy of being dug and for this particular reason is hard to give a review so fast, although "Le Lotus Bleu" give a nice review here.

I would recommend this compilation to people looking to get into this interesting drive of what Dub is all about, eventually you will able to pick 8 or 13 nice tracks as a favorites of 15 available.

I found this compilation particularly with many tracks to offer, my personal favorites are 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 12, 13, 15. A nice summer tool!          Michael Jackson "Some people prefer to take life as it is without complications, some others we like to take life from the cornice of the wildest jungle"

http://www.myspace.com/traffikmanagement
Tasos_NOtrea
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Jun 20, 2009 10:51
Cool!Can't wait to get this in my hands!I prefer this kind of dub the last years from the psydub which became so boring and lame from all these Hallucinogen wannabe artists.So I prefer this space dub style from UK which is closer to the dub/reggae roots!

www.myspace.com/tasos_notrea
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1101850147&ref=name
http://soundcloud.com/tasos_notrea/sets/marchmix2012_techno
Steve00
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  16
Posted : Jun 21, 2009 21:36
Niceeee I can't wait either, nice step forward from Interchill
Bom*shankar
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  19
Posted : Jun 25, 2009 09:26
seems interchill is going a transition from downtempo and chill label more and more to a dub label. it started with talisman compilation that i quite liked because it was kind of a mix and now one dub is dub all the way, traditional style. problem is that i have been listenin to reggae and dub many years and after first excitment is gone it can really become boring. There are some exceptional stuff that will always work (King tubby, Zion Train, Lee scratch perry, Dub chill out, Scientist, Adrian Sherwood, etc.) but mostly, dub for me is backgriund music or dance music.
all interchill dub releases are mostly just nothing special for someone who has been listening to dub for long time. this comp is a good example. it flows in the background, but for me is boring. mostly sounds like i heard it already. nothing new here. maybe except Bush Chemists track, that has fresh rhythm, Pushmipulyu & mannasheh that are more musical. Second track is also nice, with good ragga work of Macka B, and Liquid stranger does the job with his massive bass, but not in a very interesting way. so this is not workin too much for me at all. It's nothing new and it's no great music. but you can nod your head stoned to it and enjoy, yes.
psyreviews
IsraTrance Full Member
Started Topics :  71
Posted : Jul 1, 2009 02:41
http://psyreviews.net/content/view/620/1/

Always putting "good music" ahead of sticking into pigeon-holed genre boxes, Interchill are in a sense getting back to their dubby roots, yet opening up more and more to the honesty of where they're coming from.

One Dub is, praise be, just about as far away from the Entheogeneric, Shpongle-Lite psy-chill plod as it's possible to get. It's reggae, more authentic and undiluted than the label's high watermark Talisman compilation, and more varied.

The vibe is strongly established at the outset. Sugar Minott's Take It Dub eases things open, setting the mood and making you reach for the volume knob and turn it clockwise.

The quality continues with Tired Of The War from Vibronics feat. Macka B. The production and general 'musicality' is top-notch, and Macka B is there just enough to make a point without getting on your nerves (which, let's be honest, he has an innate ability to do - something he shares, albeit to a thankfully lower degree, than Eek-a-Mouse.)

Gaudi's Rootikal is among his best output -- languid, organic and soulful with the a great balance between dirty and flighty. Liquid Stranger's Welcome To My Culvert brings in dubstep influences and goes nice and glitchy, before Ashtech's Just Try takes things in a bouncier, double-dipped direction.

System Error's Time Bomb (Dub) makes good sparing use of Michael Rose's vocals; I can't say the same for the GCorp remix of Luciano's What We Got To Do. It's got that 90's vocal reggae sound to it, so it's over-produced, and it doesn't seem to go anywhere significant.

Ragana's Ah takes what we could amost call a vocal hook and swirls the backing underneath, making for an evolving, fluid track that's among the top of the One Dub heap. Bush Chemists would be there with Good Sensi Dub 2, were it not for a "woop" sound on the on-beat (or is it the off-beat? Reggae is confusing like that.)

Big Bass Theory's All Of Us is my personal standout here; the production has a perfect vintage element that's valvey yet punchy, and it has a sort of silent stream in the centre, a kind of frequency-vacuum which the sounds leave clear. In a word: tasty.

International Observer does well with Binman Dub, although these days I'm not sure bin men really exist given that garbage collection is now done by one bloke driving a big truck with a terrifying arm. Discussions about how track titles are gradually being "lost on the youth of today" is something we can all look forward to as psyreviews approaches 40.

The ever-wonderful Pushmipulyu (whose album I still recommend to anyone who will listen) make a welcome reprise with a spacey remix of We Make It Work, something that's firmly got the hand of Michael Dog at the helm. Finally, Manasseh and Praise's Dub For Dennis winds up on a gentle, mellow vibe.

All in all, decent stuff. It may not appeal to the lovers of the Entheogeneric (I just thought of that term today, so I'm saying it again), who want McKenna samples and unfolding clearlight kaleidoscopes; but that's a good thing.
mk47
Inactive User

Started Topics :  118
Posted : Jul 2, 2009 08:40
Quote:

On 2009-07-01 02:41, psyreviews wrote:
It may not appeal to the lovers of the Entheogeneric (I just thought of that term today, so I'm saying it again), who want McKenna samples and unfolding clearlight kaleidoscopes; but that's a good thing.

Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A One Dub (Interchill cd 036)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance