Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - No Possible Soundz (6-Dimension Soundz 2006) CD
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A - No Possible Soundz (6-Dimension Soundz 2006) CD

DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : Sep 15, 2006 01:04
V/A – No Possible Soundz

Cover: http://tinyurl.com/fzq48

Artist: Various (Finland)
Title: No Possible Soundz
Format: CD (jewel case)
Label: 6-Dimension Sound (Japan)
Cat. #: 6DSCD08
Distribution: Own
Date: August 2006

Track listing:

01. 09’15” Lightaman Jr. – Hungry Hippo
02. 08’24” Flying Scorpions – Jet Pilot
03. 08’09” Squaremeat – Conjuring Trick
04. 09’36” Gruuvit Muuvit - Melkeen Pilli
05. 06’53” Gruuvit Muuvit - Fingerprinter
06. 06’42” Lightaman Jr. – Please Me
07. 05’11” Flying Scorpions - Syoksykierre
08. 07’44” Gruuvit Muuvit - Pirun Kiire
09. 07’08” F-Virus - Happy Happy Joy Joy

Review:

The many faces of Pepe Kosminen!

Since 2003 the Japanese 6-Dimension Sound label has been a platform for raging mad, demented, sick, twisted and utterly perverse suomi-soaked goa- and psytrance… Such esteemed constellations as Flying Scorpions, Mandalavandalz, Sci Forest, Puoskari and Exuus have all released critically acclaimed albums on the label, and as the 8th release it’s time for a compilation featuring the many projects and side-projects of Pepe ‘Squaremeat’ Kosminen. Finland’s leading trance export. The Nokia of psytrance really… Let’s dig deeper into his deranged world.

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Lightaman Jr. – Hungry Hippo
Lightaman Junior Pepe Kosminen on his own… It’s a groovier, funked-down version of Squaremeat with a lush, plush happy-go-lucky vibe throughout the track… The good old carnival theme we know from many a Squaremeat tunes is still present, but it’s been spiced up in a very lovely way… The native chanting is reminiscent of the sound of the many ethno-tribal releases – but when it’s done the Lightaman Jr. way nothing is as it seems… This is unique, original stuff! Kick-ass!

#02: Flying Scorpions – Jet Pilot
“If you ever catch a scorpion, don’t ever burn it. If you burn it, the scorpions come from miles around to where you are… Don't tell me, don't tell me, don't tell me… You get all covered with scorpions, right? Is that true? No. It's just a legend... like vampires!” Pepe is joined by another one of Finland’s leading trance exports, Tim Thick (Texas Faggott/Mandalavandalz/etc.), in the Flying Scorpions project. They released their first and only album Lipoptena Cervi on 6-Dimension Sound back in 2003 and AFAIK this is their first commercially released track since then (under this moniker, mind you!)… So in that sense, this is quite a comeback. This track is much more upbeat than the opener – and Mr. Thick’s presence does not go unnoticed. His big, fat paw prints are all over this track – and by that I mean, that this track bears the very distinct Texas Faggott touch in all it’s raging mad, fast-paced, extrovert madness… This is vodka-spiked, sauna-warm, mosquito-buzzing, un-conformist goa trance… Hectic as fuck with more layers than I dare count… Maximal yes, cramped yes, confusing yes – very! Weird, wild and trippy stuff… Maybe a tad too much even…

#03: Squaremeat – Conjuring Trick
Squaremeat is Pepe’s most well-known project… With his partner in crime Francois Faggott, these guys have released some truly remarkable albums… The groundbreaking Astronomical Coffee Break album released on Exogenic Records in 2005 was, and is, a true audio orgasm. One of my fav’e suomi-trance albums ever! This Squaremeat track though, was made by Pepe alone… But don’t think the track gets less wacky on that account… On the contrary – this is deeeeeply trippy, hallucinogenic audio material… Like Derango without the acid – or Ka-Sol without the forest vibe… Huge, throbbing audio-patterns taking on the full audio spectre creating an epic track of gargantuan dimension… A real Vishnu shaker and a modern classic! Awesome!

#04: Gruuvit Muuvit - Melkeen Pilli
GM is a new project in which Pepe is in cahoots with PI from Sora… And whilst this track is still very Suomi in style, it’s somewhat less hectic and less weird than some of the previous tracks… It crosses well over into other styles, sucks them up, chops them and incorporates them into the mix of genre-bending trance music… Very unique and VERY nice! The surprise 2Unlimited tribute is nothing but PURE pleasure – what a trip down memory lane! Groove it, move it!

#05: Gruuvit Muuvit – Fingerprinter
The next GM track is maybe the most easily accessible one… To the untrained ear, it could actually sound like a distant relative of melodic/progressive morning trance… With a major twist of course! But in general, this is the most ‘normal’ track thus far… Several long passages are even epic trance-like with pulsating beats… Another unique track… Lovely!

#06: Lightaman Jr. – Please Me
It’s time to light up again with the Lightaman – and once again, the non-conformist sound pollutes the air waves in the most enchanting way possible… This is full-force, full-power, broad-spectre, wide-spanning eleKtroniKa… Don’t let the seemingly epic, fluffy intro deceive you – it’s all part of the master plan to cover up the truly powerful, in-ya-face experience of the actual track lurking after the intro… One word that would describe this track is ‘massive’.

#07: Flying Scorpions – Syoksykierre
The second Kosminen/Thick collaboration is similar to the first one in the sense of Thick’s unmistakeable, dirty touch… Once again, your ears are exposed to an eclectic audio bombardment of unheard proportions… The weirdness factor is going thru the roof and the clash of styles, frequencies and odd-ball bridges, off-key passages and perverted melodies is an unbalanced symphony of its own… Bizarre to say the least – and something that I have not yet gotten fully into… Yet! …Phew!

#08: Gruuvit Muuvit - Pirun Kiire
The third GM track is more to my liking… This seemingly underplayed, held-back little groove monster has something very nice lurking right beneath the surface… Cluttered audio-bits, bytes and beasts form a somewhat slower, more subtle piece of electronic musica… Perhaps not as much a stand-out track as some of the previous ones, but still a very well-made piece of feel-good music…

#09: F-Virus - Happy Happy Joy Joy
F-Virus is Pepe and Ville Ruoho from Salakavala/Antiscarp Warriors… Usually the last track off an album or a compilation is either chill-out or freestyle… But since this whole compilation is pretty much freestyle, this blends in nicely… This is bouncy, melodic and groovy psychedelic trance with a big splash of trippy, gestonkenflappy, Funland-enriched psychedelia… Wikkid!

I’ve often said it, and I’ll say it again: Most of the time I need to take my Finnish delights in smaller doses to get the most out of it. But when it’s THIS good, I can pretty much listen to the whole thing again and again without losing interest… Sure, the two Flying Scorpions tracks were a little too much on the heavy side for my liking, but the rest of the stuff I lapped right up…

In essence this is a Pepe Kosminen album with a number of guests involved. The guests contribute with very diverse input and as such, the flow is maybe a little off here… But then again, technically it’s a compilation and when the vast majority of the music is *this* good I’m not complaining. Not by a long shot. This is easily the most interesting suomi-release I’ve heard since the last Squaremeat album.

The absolutely BREATHTAKING artwork (seriously, this is the best cover artwork I’ve seen in 2006) was made by the Japanese computer graphics artist Take (Tekken, etc). If the artwork reminds you of the work of the late Seth Fisher (Squaremeat - Astronomical Coffee Break) it’s no coincidence. Fisher died lately, and this is sort of a tribute to him.

A safe purchase for all Squaremeat fans – and to fans of eclectic, diverse, fun-packed, perverse, groovy and totally nuts psytrance in general… There’s not a single dull second here. Satisfaction is guaranteed and the stellar artwork is just the icing on the already mouth-watering cake. Comes highly recommended from me. Enjoy.

Favourites: 1(!), 3(!!), 4(!!), 6, 9

DeathPosture

External links:
Squaremeat: http://www.squaremeat.net/nopossiblesoundz.html (download 4 free extra tracks!)
6 Dimension Soundz: http://www.globaldatmafia.org
Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/763997
Tower Records Japan: http://tinyurl.com/hoc6c
Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/hl5sw (4 minute sound clips available!)
Asahi Records: http://tinyurl.com/jjx5s           On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
DeathPosture
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  142
Posted : Sep 15, 2006 11:03
Ooops, I screwed up on the track list...

Track #5 is Squaremeat and not Gruuvit Muuvit...

Rock on!

/DP           On really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...
eXuUs
Exuus

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Sep 17, 2006 22:00
no possible cd ,. 1, 6, 7, 8, 9, are best

good mastering by Simon Polinski +++
          www.exuus.com
Eraser
Eraser

Started Topics :  6
Posted : Sep 18, 2006 12:44
I love track 2, woohooo nice lsdlayering, good sound. Some crazy shit timo n pepe hehehehe!!
LIGHTAMAN JR
Squaremeat

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Sep 18, 2006 17:21
Quote:

On 2006-09-17 22:00, eXuUs wrote:

correction...

This compilation is mastered by Juha Kapiainen (who been mastering all of the squaremeat albums)... not Simon Polinski

bom
pepe
eXuUs
Exuus

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Sep 20, 2006 18:07
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2006-09-17 22:00, eXuUs wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

correction...

This compilation is mastered by Juha Kapiainen (who been mastering all of the squaremeat albums)... not Simon Polinski

bom
pepe

ok ok good 2 know
          www.exuus.com
psyrexian

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Sep 21, 2006 04:29
Great Cd ...finally some new psychedelia in my life ...
keep up !           LIFE IS GOOD ON TRANCE!
sam i am
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Sep 21, 2006 08:14
simply a must have. I will order it tomorrow as a birthday present for myself           new Hadal Drop album on the way

if you don't have the last one get in touch
NEO
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  27
Posted : Sep 25, 2006 01:10
Great Compilation,all tracks rock.
A Bit sad to hear Seth Fisher Died.
Anyway,best compilation i bought this year so far.
FS made one hell of a comeback,and the GM track's got it all worked out
Pepe and Francois,I you !

Thank you 6 dimension soundz for a wicked compilation.
I Wish you good luck with your upcoming releases.

dance like you're selling nails.
sam i am
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  40
Posted : Sep 27, 2006 05:25
"Please Me" certainly pleases me.. fucking winner           new Hadal Drop album on the way

if you don't have the last one get in touch
TweekerD

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Nov 14, 2006 13:51
Wowaweewa, this one makes me shake my ass all over the place!

Pepe, you are the MAN, and a big bom to all collaborators on this amazing comp.

Finland rules, and this compilation features just a few of the best....

Bom and Bom again, health to you all

Dave           "We just got that Volcano lit...

...Gee, I thought Tarzan was set in Africa!"

- 1979 Flashdance, Haltya
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - No Possible Soundz (6-Dimension Soundz 2006) CD

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance