Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Ministry of Chaos compiled by Mindcore [Yabai Records 2008]
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A - Ministry of Chaos compiled by Mindcore [Yabai Records 2008]

squirm
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  254
Posted : Mar 13, 2008 04:40:59
this is yabai's 9th release and one of its strongest ones so far. ministry of chaos is compiled by mindcore, which is phatmatix and julien (from digital talk). what they have put together is this year's first big twilight release, and by the sound of it, it will probably be one of the highlights of 2008. well lets get to the music.

1. digital talk - acid talk [145 bpm]: any cd which starts off with digital talk is a winner in my books. what we have hear is another gem from the digital talk labs. what i like most about this track is the somewhat happy and at times looney feeling it carries with it. something i dont normally associate with their music. as always their rhythmic basslines are a pleasure to hear. these guys are on the top of their game, and this tune builds wonderfully. the track evolution is mature - it takes its time to get moving but isnt rushed at all, it moves when it wants to and pretty much takes over the listener. the bassline is full of energy and groove. around the end of the 4th minute they have some steller fx and subtle melodies taking over... what starts as break in the beginning of the 4th minute leads up to a monster of a ride. the break lasts over a whole minute and throws you in all sorts of directions before finally delivering a punch that would blow your socks off. it doesnt quite explode in your face but moves along smoothly until 6.19, when these really silly sounding twisty leads just take over . what follows is an alien ride full of rhythm and energy . i wouldnt call this an absolute stomper but a wonderful way to start the cd and let people know what they are in for. this is the acid test 9/10.

2. outer signal - hokus focus [146 bpm]: outer signal have recently released some great collabarative tracks, and so the expectations were high. this one starts off sounding alot like the new 3d/nutek sound, like painkiller or madnetic. a dirty little sleeze of a bassline that somewhat borders on the verge of what cpu used to belt out. it doesnt waste any time and the progression is pretty smooth. by the 2nd minute the track is moving without a hitch. the break in the 3rd minute is pretty sweet, lots of new tricks and ideas employed and the track comes back with a nice serious tone to it. these guys have a nice sound they lend to themselves, lots of metallic leads to cause some damage but never getting too noisy. the melody in the 5th minute is pretty sweet and reminds me alot of abomination. its builds up like a monster in the 5th minute with some really nice tricks. this is one hell of a tune to follow up acid test with, and it certainly keeps the energy level going. perfect for those nice little stomp sessions. if you dig these guys previous tunes, you wont be disappointed with this one. its certainly not as crazy as their last 2 tunes (unstoppable and el diablo) , but hell it packs quite a punch. 8/10.

3. multistate - roberta sparrow rmx [145 bpm]: after the monster that is future cuts, ill hear just about anything these guys get their hands on. here we have them remixing a tune that was on their debut album released way back in 06. i really liked the original with its bizzare intro and crazy sounds, so i was looking forward to this one. this time around the basic melody from the original is retained and there is a mystic creepy element with the synthetic synths being used. the overall tone of the track is pretty serious, they know what you want and they are going to give you one hell of a dose. by the end of the 1st minute the kick bass is set and the tune builds up like rather nicely. the progression on this tune is interesting, i guess if you have heard the original its going to play games with you, and if this your first time hearing this tune, your going to be smacked all over with some very serious music. by the 3rd minute you can distinguish original elements, and then there are some new elements added to the mix. a new glitchy lead which adds a new melody to the track. the break in the 4th minute is new, and will definitely take listeners to another level. im talking about epic melodies and deep pads. the track progresses just seamlessly and gets that classic metallic riff coming along from the original, with a new twist to it all. this track is ear candy all over... perhaps the most interesting bit is in the 6th minute, where the original tune is introduced with wonderful goodies thrown in for good measure. i could really go on and on about how amazing this track is. this is music for the deranged. the production is clear and explicitly psychedelic. its not as noisy and crazy as hq part 2 but still pretty interesting, more introspective. the original has more groove than this one, but this rmx lives up to its name of an extreme live mix . 9/10.

4. phyx - fall of babylon (lost n found rmx) [145 bpm]: the original track was released on mmd's va - erratic distortion way back in 2006. the original was a monster and having lost n found remix it was a monster of an idea. It starts off with some of the original's ambient pads, and by the end of the first minute you have a rock steady bassline pounding. The bassline is pretty serious and sounds like the original with a massive power upgrade. The track evolves with a mixture these little glitchy little sounds and original sounds. On the whole the feeling of this track is dynamic and aggressive. The break in the 4th minute is pretty cool, and the track comes back with a very serious rhythm. I really like the incorporation of new elements and the way the original sounds are used to lend the whole track a powerful fast feeling. By the middle of the 5th minute you have the original leads and that demented phyx melody. The best part of the track is in the 6th minute where there is a break. The break uses nice panning effects and there comes a sample from the tv show lost, 'ill see you in another life brother'.... soon after the main melody just bubbles up, glitches in, gets jammed up in a spiral of madness only to explode in your face. The bassline changes that are pulled off add a very nice feel to the melody, and there is some tweaking with some ambient pads which add an epic touch to the tune. Towards the ends you hear more lost n found, and the track ends with '5 .. 4.. 3... 2... 1... system failure... system failure...' which is pretty much how your left . overall a definite monster of a track, is pretty similar to the original I think but there are subtle differences that add up to a whole lot of fine tuned mayhem. 9/10.

5. twisted system - necessary evil [145 bpm] : here we have south african super team twisted system giving us necessary evil. incase you haven't heard of this act before, this is the combined effort of shift, phyx, and rabdom l. this one starts off with power just waiting to ooze, and without wasting much time the kick bass is introduced. the soundscapes are spooky and eery. early on you hear rabdom l like leads with this pretty unrelenting bassline. there are some well places fx along that provide for a very focused and tight story. the first big jump comes at the 2nd minute, where the bassline gets a little jumps and some epic leads are creeping about. this is the twisted system sound we all know and love. by the 3rd minute the track is moving forward in full steam, you can hear lots of shift leads at this point. the bassline is energetic and things move along with a crazy edge about them. the break in the 5th minute is awesome with some great samples ...
" he ships more merchandise in a day than i do in a year.... sometimes its embaressing to have his fingerprints on the guns... sometimes he needs a freelancer like me to supply forces he cant be seen supplying so .... and unfortunately for you im a necessary evil "
what comes next is madness . long leads with a pumping groove thats bound to make you more than just bop year head around. the track goes through some interesting changes later and you hear each of the 3 masterminds add their own special touch to the track. i'll admit that i didnt really dig this tune when i first heard it, but damn this tune grows on you. maybe not as steller as their stuff on core (which in my opinion is the best stuff this act has ever made), but never the less this one will destroy many an innocent dancer. 8.5/10.
          www.soundcloud.com/ishikawa
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.phonix-records.com
www.mixcloud.com/ishikawa/
squirm
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  254
Posted : Mar 13, 2008 04:41
6. phatmatix - malediction [146 bpm]: now we have the other master mind behind this cd. phatmatix has been producing some very serious music over the past year, with 'don't get me mad' being the last thumper released. this tune starts with the sounds of someone struggling, and a creepy atmosphere. without wasting much time the goods are brought and you have a nice steady bassline with sinister overtones flowing everywhere. the track builds up very well and in the 2nd minute you have this have melody in the characteristic phatmatix lead just taking over. this tune is all about power and it takes you all over the place. the break in the 3rd minute is awesome with squeaky leads and some other awesome tricks. as the track progresses it imbibes a very organic feel to it, and flows all over you. theres a cool little kick beat portion in the 4th minute, where the track sort of takes a breather and sees where it can go.. you hear spooky orchestra, groans of men, and that phatmatix sound i can only describe as tentacles of dementia . the track thereafter peaks out in the 6th minute with new dimensions being added to the main leads which makes for a very interesting journey. whats evident from this tune is the new direction that phatmatix is taking, a very raw powerful sound, with a lot more groove than his previous work. just listen to the buildup in the 7th minute and i think you'll know what im saying. another awesome tune from the phatmatix labs. 9/10.

7. mindcore - ministry of chaos [146 bpm]: finally the brains behind this cd present the title track, 'ministry of chaos'. from the very start you can hear that distinct digital talk sound and before you know it you have this massive bassline just pounding away. this is some very awesome stuff. the production is crystal clear with every sound having a nice crisp feel to it. there are a number of well placed fx that help the story progress, and you can sort of hear that demented feeling of phatmatix on the bassline. overall the feeling of this track is more along the lines of just pure power. no demented overtones just some aggressive and serious music. the fx add a cool synthetic feel to it and by the middle of the 4 minute you have a heavy riff of a lead come up, phatmatix style. yet this act maintains their own identity in the way the elements just bring across a nice techy feel to it. the break in the 5th minute is a pleasure to hear and the bassline that comes in is a monster. a new melody is introduced which is just awesome... 'search and destroy'.... the power just builds thereafter until its 'time to get up and dance'! wow! this tune just flows so seamlessly, god damn! in the 7th minute and in general towards the end theres a touch of dementia but the overall feeling remains the same, unrelenting all balls out power music. its a pleasure to hear julien and stephane work together and what's even better is that they manage to come up with a different sound from their respective primary projects. this one well lives up to the expectations of a title track. 9/10.

8. materia - help me (khopat rmx) [145 bpm]: the original tune was on 2006's va-event horizon. i cant say im really familiar with it but khopat has been releasing some very strong tunes off late, so i was a little curious about this one. starts off with an innocent tune and muted beats... you get the feeling that this is going to be another adrenaline filled ride with the aggressive beat arrangement. and then the kick bass is finally introduced. its a very serious tune with warm pads. there are lots of tricks and stops and pushes as with many other of khopat's works. this tune evolves pretty well although some people might find the constant stop and go approach a little frustrating, but everything has a purpose and once the tune finally settles by the 2nd minute, things get a little interesting. i was kind of lost with the way this tune came back, in the sense i saw the potential for more but maybe thats just me. the track chugs along smoothly a serious tone and some nice melody work. the break in the 4th minute is where the story moves forward with the sample, 'god damn perfect' being glitched in and out and some interesting little changes being introduced. its at this point that things get changed up a bit and you have some nice chopped up leads added to the mix. the innocent tune from the start is kept around. the track goes on this way till the end. i dont really dig this tune, i feel there is space for more to be added. or maybe its just me. production wise its nice and clean but i think there are some ideas lacking on this one. it just doesnt take off like the other tunes here. but maybe this tune was intended to slow down things towards the end of this cd, which is something it does pretty effectively. 6.5/10.

9. principles of flight - inferno [145 bpm]: principles of flight are a french act who released their debut album back in 2006. they have a truely unique style combining many elements of classical music with some old school psychedelic music. the tune starts with some very epic pads which take me back to the lord of the rings . the atmospheres are very well thought out and you know these guys are building up to something interesting. i especially like the way that the kick bass is introduced and the final percussion arrangement is pretty interesting. there are some cool effects thrown about and i again feel like im on my way to mordor . these guys really know how to work their melodies. the layers they use to create the atmosphere are a pleasure to hear and the track picks up well. the melodies are not so pronounced but they are lurking about and are tastefully pulled off. im really digging the sound these guys have. perhaps the best bit is around 3.15 when the track withdraws to kick bass and this nice innocent melody plays. along the background there is this twitchy squeeky lead that makes you wonder if there is a monster somewhere in the speakers. the buildup in the 5th minute is wonderful as the story progresses forward. think of the minutes preceeding an epic battle, and maybe then you'd understand the epic feeling being presented here. towards the end they have this sinister melody just ease itself and you have these beautiful fairytale melodies just usher in this monster! what follows is a wonderful journey that takes you all over this crazy fairytale. this is a wonderful tune that is high in its psychedelic content. imagine the theme to an epic fantasy and maybe you'd come close to conjuring this. a wonderful way to end this awesome cd. i look forward to hearing more from this act. 9/10.

well what can i say about this cd that i havent already conveyed. i think this cd along, with last year's samurai, is the best compilation yabai have released. this is hands down one of the best cds iv heard this year. every track is well constructed and the whole cd is a powerful powerful journey starting with digital talk's bouncy acid test, to the monster rmx by lost n found and finally ending things off with principle of flight's epic - inferno. this is a MUST have for all those who dig the twilight sound - labels like timecode, mmd and nexus media. a big up to phatmatix and julien for putting together this awesome cd and another big up to the yabai crew for letting this monster out. the album cover on this cd is also pretty impressive, its just what id like to imagine the ministry of chaos to look like!

tracks to look out for: 1,3,4,5,6,9.. hell just about all of them
overall rating: 9/10

incase you'd like to see the album cover:
http://212.227.206.198/cgi-bin/zoom.cgi?yab1cd009_b.jpg:CDs/yab/yab1cd009.html:;

where you can buy it:
psyhop: http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/yab/yab1cd009.html
saikosounds: http://saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=7065

you can read this and other reviews by me @ www.schizoid.in          www.soundcloud.com/ishikawa
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.phonix-records.com
www.mixcloud.com/ishikawa/
Meta-Morphosis
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  216
Posted : Mar 13, 2008 18:00
Hey good review squirm, thanks for leaving space between the tracks unlike last time.

Awesome compilation in twilight category, beautifully compiled by mindcore.

My favs are
(2 3 4 5 6 7)

P.S oh by the way the samples in the twisted system track is taken from the movie "lord of war" 2005. awesome movie awesome track !!!            “What we need is the development of the Inner Spiritual man, the unique individual, whose treasure is hidden in the symbols of our mythological tradition and in man’s unconscious psych.” - CJ Jung
Phonic_Request
Phonic Request

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Mar 14, 2008 13:21
Very nice V/A

Favorite track Rmx Khopat

Killer !!
Meta-Morphosis
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  216
Posted : Dec 22, 2008 12:32
hehehe phatmatix track
what a freaking blasterrrr, Level 3 stuff insaneee frequencies .. the track after 5 minutes is sooo freaking madddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd.

Best twilight VA of 2008 hands down.
           “What we need is the development of the Inner Spiritual man, the unique individual, whose treasure is hidden in the symbols of our mythological tradition and in man’s unconscious psych.” - CJ Jung
Methodic Marble
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  54
Posted : Dec 22, 2008 16:06
4 me the best tracks are Digital talk, Khopat & principles of flight!!
The rest is usual stuff from the artist´s, still good but lack of diferente things           > http://www.myspace.com/methodicmarble
Ormion
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  38
Posted : Dec 23, 2008 16:43
Twisted System-Necessary Evil

Best track of 2008. Nuff said...
Tantrum

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Dec 24, 2008 04:35
Lovin this comp. The whole cd does it for me           Dj Tantrum (Nexus Media/digital psionics) Australia tantrum869@hotmail.com/myspace.com/djtantrum88
dj insanix
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  18
Posted : Dec 26, 2008 17:24

No Rules to FOCUS Pokus!

as well as an adoration to it, definitly on my Tops

Outer Signal and Gerhard killed it

keep them coming guys

Dj Insanix
Mechanik Records Label Manager / Nutek / 3D Vision Records
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.nutek.org/insanix.html
www.myspace.com/djinsanix
www.myspace.com/mechanikrec
www.myspace.com/nutekrecords
www.myspace.com/3dvisio
DJSarasin
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  27
Posted : Jan 12, 2009 03:23
Gerhard ALWAYS kills it!

LOL

Thats his style.....he kills it!

Beartrap - SA

www.myspace.com/djsarasin
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beartrap-Productions/35950216057
DJ SET DOWNLOAD:
www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiWqeyTf0Uk
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Ministry of Chaos compiled by Mindcore [Yabai Records 2008]

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance