Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Mental Displacement (Shiva Space Technology 2006) CD
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A - Mental Displacement (Shiva Space Technology 2006) CD

OIL
Oil

Started Topics :  243
Posted : Apr 13, 2006 22:15
V/A - Mental Displacement

Cover: http://www.discogs.com/image/R-658238-1144323541.jpeg

Artist: Various
Title: Mental Displacement
Format: CD (jewel case)
Label: Shiva Space Technology (Norway)
Cat. #: SSTCD101
Distribution: Wirikuta
Date: 30 March 2006

Track listing:
-------------

01. 06´44´´ Mechanix - The Rage
02. 07´09´´ Damage - Drug Zombies
03. 07´03´´ Shift - Dont You Know (Lemurians Remix)
04. 07´22´´ Mechanix - Neverland (Remix)
05. 10´05´´ Energetic - Light Way
06. 08´35´´ Hyper Frequencies - Erotica 7 (Remix)
07. 08´84´´ Neuromotor - Illumination
08. 07´42´´ Random - 2 X 4
09. 07´38´´ Killer Buds - Digital Frequencies
10. 07´42´´ Lemurians - Dub Drone (Phase Phour Remix)

Review:
------

I bet most of you fellas know about what impact the "ex-Germany-based" label Shiva Space Technology had on the trance-community, I bet especially in Europe.
If not, well.. lets just say you missed something, I guess u got some homework to do.
Anyway, DJ Christer from Norway who spins for SST got the mission to compile Mental Displacement, his first compiling-assignment I might add
The artwork is made by Christers girlfriend, and it reminds me of Christer, I bet you can see why it does if you look a lil closer.

\|..:: And hows the tracks ::..|/

#01: Mechanix - The Rage

I get some peacefull and hard vibes from this piece, with somekind of playfull undetunez, pretty clubby mood in a way.
Whats good is that its a really welcomey mood u get. I cant really understand why the track its entitled with "The Rage", but what do I know anyway.
A pretty typical Mechanix-track i think, but doesnt necesery means its bad.
I still think its really israeli-influenced but Mechanix have put it into another turn.
I gotta be honest, and unfortunely i feel that i miss some power in the track to keep me hanging.

#02: Damage - Drug Zombies

Nowadays its really good to see new Damage-trax coming up on compilations here and there. What gets me going is the rawness and Hiphop-influenced(?) beats and samples.
Some heroic-kinda melodrama stringisyzing is leading is into the world of Drug Zombies.
If you like the newest released material from Damage, for example on Yage Records, u gonna like this tune as well, definetly.
Buddy, you really convinced me theres some zombies out there.

#03: Shift - Dont you know (Lemurians Remix)

This is Lemurians first track released on this year.
Im really glad that Lemurians chosed this Shift-track cause that album had a great impact on me. For sure, they wanted to return the favor in remixing-work since Shift remixed one Lemurians-track.
Its about the same happy playfull mood as Shift tuned the piece into, but with like a twist of twilight to it.
Great to see that they re-baked it, completely into their own style. It definetly feel like a worthy progression from the original Shift-track and all the best blocks from the original track is at hand. Bite it.
For me, this piece is definetly the top of the foodchain.

#04: Mechanix - Neverland (Remix)

I reckon it was a smart move to put another Mechanix-track here. I feel like it blends in with the style of the compilation. As a story, its slightly more agressive and powerfull. Still pretty careful synthworks and beats, but the realm Neverland is not as moody and slow as Mechanix - The Rage.
As before I feel lots of peacefull vibes from this landscapes, and Mechanix is really making his point with those profoundy samples inside.

#05: Energetic - Light Way

Whats bad about the track is that its pretty repetative. Could need some more work before laying down the pen. But I gotta say it does the job. The mood is in its right place.
The story takes the right way from the last place, still; close to Neverland. But drives more into a adventures and uncertain place. For me this is a track that should be played, while the Sun goes up or down, watch that "Light Way" and i bet you will enjoy it a lot more than i just did.
Summed up, I think this piece represents the concept of Energetic. I hope he will go along this path, but work a bit more on the building.

#06: Hyper Frequencies - Erotica 7 (Remix)

So far, this is the most driving bassline that hits my ear-drum, and I cant say that it doesnt fit the theme. The first 2 or 3 minutes of this track felt like an elevator going upwards and i think that the story is progressing well, without too much rumble on the way to the top.
If you like the dirty, smoky and undergroundish vibes that i got from Hyper Frequencies album; Red Crystal Moon, you are going to like this track. Not only because its a remix of one of the tracks in that album.

#07: Neuromotor - Illumination

If you now feel like you like french stuff, stop holding your breath, cause Christer made the right turn here.
Its still french, but the mood is no where near the dirty sounds of Erotica 7 (Remix).
I feel that we still are on a "typical-french-sounding" path, but we are hearing something more, energetic and aggressive leadwork. "Meloangrica!".
You wont be dissapointed on this piece, and again i gotta refer to Yage Records since this track really makes me remember Neuromotors past track on that label.
I find the track a bit repetative, especially on the first listen, however i think it will take you to the end of the story.
During this year, i have really learned to like the distyness of Neuromotor, and this aint an exception. Keep your eyes open for the Illumination.

#08: Random - 2 X 4

I think this really points out Geomagnetic Records-taste, as well as pointing out the Random-style as well.
Mystical vibes on this one! And the layering and synthworks is what I like the most about this fella, constantly more to come, pushing you to the finnish of the track.
From what I remember, is 8 a magical number, i dont really remember the story behind it though. But anyway I guess I must say that it was a good choice of title.
Allthough theres lots of crazyness and loony landscapes in this track, theres great structure as well.

#09: Killer Buds - Digital Frequencies

Still crazy and blipsy sounds on top of this piece. Typical twilight twists of Killer Buds, but im getting impressed by the Digital Frequencies that Killer Buds have cooked together quite instantly that the story takes off.
I feel a really driving bassline right under my nose. Its full-onish and heavy, I just wish that Killer Buds would make it more emotional and ambiental. I guess I need the contrast to keep getting me going, but the samples are almost taking care of that.

#10: Lemurians - Dub Drone (Phase Phour)

This is definetly the best Phase Phour track i have heard, and for me, remix-works is making me demand even more from the final mixdown, so to speak..
They have really suceeded to compliment to the Lemurians-track, and with their own style. Thats what matters.
Mountain-Sound for sure! It was a really good choice to put this piece in the end, cause this IS the final piece, and its really letting you mellow out from the whole "trip", with a really mysterical but not too dark undertone. Really peacefull!!!

What I miss, and what you shouldnt miss:
---------------------------------------

As you are compiling a cd, you gotta try to achieve an objective, like an artist you need to put all these stories together, in the best way. I guess you could call it sequencing, you are definetly sharing the greatest story here by booking the flights and deciding where we will be taken next.
What i like about Mental Displacement is that its put together in a really good way. For sure its blends.
However, I found it a bit dissapointing when I realised that this cd hardly ever was that powerfull that i know SST-releases can be.
I gotta say that its a really moody compilation, it takes you to a nice place, and I cant find a reason why you shouldnt at least try it out on your outdoor party.
I hope that you will enjoy the compilation, and that you will find the place for it on your party.

Favorite stompers: 2(!),3(!!),8,10(!!)
-----------------

I will give this cd The: "7-oT-of-10_;_4-NiCE|M00Ds-grADe"
------------------------

I hope you have enjoyed my review as well. Cheers

Link:
-------
Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/658238

daksinamurti
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  94
Posted : Apr 17, 2006 02:39
nice review ... was fun to read

i love the compi ... most of the tracks are prooved dancefloor blasters
          www.sangomarecords.com
https://www.facebook.com/Djdaksi
rajatrao2
Inactive User
Started Topics :  11
Posted : Apr 17, 2006 09:19
IMO a very disappointing release.. expected a lot more from damage after his previous 3 releases which were bombs... however i did like the shift(lemurians remix) and hyperfrequency... Honestly the rest i felt wasnt worth a hear even...
Daksi im counting on your next va
Rajat
full_on
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  279
Posted : Apr 26, 2006 22:06
Compilation Mental Displacement ( Shiva Space Technology, Apr. 2006)

Christer, the compiler of this release, described it as "a compilation where the dark full-on night music meets pure psychedelic with a hint of funk to it."
Christer is label DJ for two well-known labels: Shiva Space Technology and Mechanik Records. Also he's one of that old style DJs, the rare kind that tries to tell a history from behind the mixer instead of just playing the latest unreleased.
There's a nice "thank you" message from Christer on the booklet.

The mastering was made by no one else than Yaniv Shulman @ Aleph Zero Studios and sounds perfect.

The cover is one of the most original and creative I've seem this year, not to mention that it is completely related to the album name, so I think it was an excellent choice. It was designed by Anna Karenina & Horacio Sorbarzo, great job guys!
Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/sst1cd101_b.jpg

Track List:
01. Mechanix - The Rage 6:44
02. Damage - Drug Zombies 7:09
03. Shift - Don't You Know (Lemurians rmx) 7:04
04. Mechanix - Neverland rmx 7:22
05. Energetic - Light Way 10:55
06. Hyper Frequencies - Erotica 7 rmx 8:36
07. Neuromotor - Illumination 8:05
08. Random - 2 x 4 7:42
09. Killer Buds - Digital Frequencies 7:38
10. Lemurians - Dub Drones (PhasePhour rmx) 7:43

Let's kick some dust out of the floor:

01 - Mechanix - The Rage --> The album begins with Mechanix (Eldad), one of my favorite night acts at the moment. Eldad has just compiled the Pump Fiction compilation, released by Yage Records, the guys is on his peak performance. I think it is safe to say that The Rage is a characteristic Mechanix track, carefully developed, well placed sounds, no explosions, the atmosphere builds up respecting the flow of the music. I just glide with a smile in my face while dancing to this music. Excellent choice to open this compilation.

02 - Damage - Drug Zombies --> I must admit I didn't like the samples of this track... Rap-like samples which just don't do it for me. In fact, the track is not on my style. But after the middle it gets powerful and works on the floor. Some people will like it...

03 - Shift - Don't You Know (Lemurians rmx) --> I like Lemurians a lot, but I must admit it's been some time since I heard a new work from them. Well, this track arrived just in time! I'm breathless! Maybe it's because the bass here completely fills the space... The constant phantasmagoric sounds are really trippy and the high frequency noises are perfectly mixed. Very good remix!

04 - Mechanix - Neverland rmx --> Uhmm, a remix to Neverland... The original was very good (and the Live version too), but this remix is even better. Starts with a sample from the movie X-Men 2:

"We are not enemies, but friends.
We must not be enemies.
Though passion may have strained,
It must not break the bonds of our affection."

Eldad kept the same good old samples, polished the bass and made a better mix. The result is groovy, builds up slowly, the track structure is very original, as well as the effects and the whole concept. This track is stronger than Eldad’s first track on this compilation, and I liked it even more.
You know what they say: You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a BASS! Mechanix never let me down, keep it up Eldad!

05 - Energetic - Light Way --> Energetic is a project from two Brazilian guys: Gabriel Guimil & Marcelo Espindola, Marcelo is also part of the Brazilian project Killer Buds. Light Way is the bigger track here, it has almost 11 minutes! Begins really light, a pounding bass and infinite background synth notes: the trap is set. Then we got the samples: "At this morning, you're being like a different person." A new bass and driving synth notes, this is really nice to dance. Around the 7 minutes some Energetic drops of insanity on the track... Good stuff, it shakes the dance floor before the break, so that during the break everyone is asking for more. Good one.

06 - Hyper Frequencies - Erotica 7 rmx --> This track has a rolling bass and a lot of psychedelic elements on top of it. It is a steady track with no long build ups or breaks, just direct psychedely. It is a nice track, but not the best here. I'd like to know the samples...

07 - Neuromotor - Illumination --> Neuromotor's track begins with a rolling bass and many effects quickly arrive. There's another bass line, the track gets slower like walking on water. Fred knows his business, and places the sample "Switch on the light..." together with some scream in the main break. Nice track, the second half is better for me.

08 - Random - 2 x 4 --> Random is releasing his new album through GeoMagnetic.tv and this track reaches me with some expectations. Good work on the snares, the bass and on the synths fighting each other on the first half and continuous flow until the end, no build ups, just straight a forward trip! Some times it may sound a little too noisy, but I liked the style and think it fits perfectly after the Neuromotor track.

09 - Killer Buds - Digital Frequencies --> Killer Buds is only two guys now (but this track was produced when Enzio was still part of Killer Buds), they are from Brazil and this track is a good example of how their music is. Nice bass and synths, think of GMS but without cheese, that's how I describe the synths. I just don't like the silent break in the middle of the track. Near the end of the track the synths come back. Nice one.

10 - Lemurians - Dub Drones (PhasePhour rmx) --> Closing this already successful album is the PhasePhour remix to the Lemurians track Dub Drones. The sounds send me back to the past, to some of my first parties... This is well crafted emotional night music, so much rhythm! Near the end a flute-like synth mixed with some dirty sounds create an unbelievable tribal feeling. This is what I call an epic tune!

Christer managed to make the crowd dance from one point to another with this compilation, the whole is bigger than the sum of the parts here, and I consider this compilation a success!

Interview with Christer: http://www.fullonline.net/archives/2005/11/christer_-_shiv.html

Verdict: 8/10. This release contains 10 previously unreleased tracks, almost 80 minutes of music, Christer really optimized the space! The track from Mechanix, Lemurians and the PhasePhour rmxare my favorites here, but there are others are not bad. What could be better for me is that the booklet (or a DJ sleeve) could have the bpms, other than that this is a wonderful, highly recommended night release.

Favorites: 1(!), 3(!), 4(!!), 5, 7, 8, 10(!!).

Recommendation: I recommend this release for everyone who likes night music, in special for those who want some secret weapons to rock the floor.

Buy it here:
http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/sst/sst1cd101.html
http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=2717
http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=5636

Label site: http://www.shiva-space-technology.com
Respect!
...Be gentle with the earth...
...Dance like nobody's watching...
...I don't mind not going to Heaven, as long as they've got Coffee in Hell...
Tigo

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Apr 27, 2006 08:16
Beware! Heavy use may have severe side effects! This extraordinary great music brings the mind new tasks to handle, and if your mind isn't trained to handle multiple emotion input tasks. Then I must warn you! This CD compiled by Christer gives you a wide stream of brand new developed psychedelic music. Very well placed tones and a well known but refreshing rhythm and new twisty elements that bursts out the very moment you press the button.

I plugged in my head through the earplugs, connecting my mind to the music in the most effect full way, and as the sounds starts to twist my mind, evolving the mental state of what feels quite normal, I strive to keep my mind set for the enormous load of musical information.

A new mental highway has been manifested as the synapses starts to communicate in my brain cells, interpreting the fast coming programmed waves, that bounces the eardrums.

Not all succeeds in performing mental stability while achieving this very brightly composed music in such a heavy dose. When displacement activity occurs, it is time for the doctor to fix you, and the only way is to refreshing your brain. But not all doctors are able to help you and those who are can't be reached by normal means.

You have to reach this mental doctor by telepathy. He only lives in a mental world, wherein this very strange cure of your brain takes place. Because only in this tiny world, controlled by systems of thought, green trees grows on big solid waves of normal human stupidity.

The trunk is all green due to the manifesting envy that thrives in minds around our fellow men. The tree, which is the only plant in the doctors world, is draining all stupid thoughts, but the benefit are for those who need fresh brain juice, and instead of normal fruits this tree grows long sticky black strings like lianas. A fluid of fresh mind nectar drips on the surface of these lianas in one endless stream, or at least as long as people think stupid thoughts.

The doctor then sticks your brain to the end of a liana, and let it hang to soak the nourishing juice, a brilliant and simple mechanism that has been available for some time now. But the cure takes time… a lot of time, and you'll have to be patient, very patient, before your brain is fully recovered.

Unfortunately I haven't got time enough as I rushed the doctor for getting my brain back, and I now feel the effect. It's like a little voice all back in the deepest hide of my mind, telling me that my life won't be worth living without this mental music. And I'm not sure what to do other that constantly listen to all forms of psychedelic music that I can get hold of. It's a piercing thought, and it fades when feasting on such music, but the best way to heal my wounded mind is to load it yet again with this great compilation and let the fast thrill work.

Christer - Mental Displacement from Shiva Space Technology reviewed by Tigo

More reviews at www.psychedelicplanet.com ;-)
Christer

Started Topics :  7
Posted : Apr 27, 2006 13:24
Thank you!

Kind words warm my heart
Christersmiles
ZINI

Posted : Apr 27, 2006 16:56
Looking forward to hearing some of these tunes tomorrow night.
http://www.neutronyx.net/flash/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=121
Ankur
Ankur / Virgin Suicide

Started Topics :  35
Posted : Apr 27, 2006 17:04
i took the time to hear the hole cd in one cuz i knew christer wouuld do a good job and wanted to get the hole story. for me is a realy nice and full floating story wich nearly perfect flow in the colection...
the only one in my opinion is abit displaced is the 2nd mechanix trk (what not means is bad one)....
is not my style but as a hole pack nice to listen and with a fabulous cover work from annaka and horacio...
anyway killa job bro,
keep it up
boom           Freqs of Nature Festival 2012
http://freqsofnature.de
Lost Theory Label DJ
http://www.losttheoryrecords.com/
dori-isr

Posted : Apr 29, 2006 17:34
winning album! my opinion?... the best of 2006!
Basilisk
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  168
Posted : Jun 29, 2006 20:54
It just feels like there is a lot of filler here... I like the final remix, and Drug Zombies stands out at least... not much else grabs me - it's just too much of that anonymous squeeky/noisy full-on sound...
Khopat
Khopat

Started Topics :  16
Posted : Jun 30, 2006 18:44
Damage - Drug Zombies
Lemurians - Dub Drone (Phase Phour Remix)
Shift - Dont You Know (Lemurians Remix)
Energetic - Light Way

best tracks for me!
Christer Brother u did great job on this compilation , no standart music , every track diferent from next

Best wishes from Portugal

www.Spectralrecords.com
www.Hypergate-records.com
www.metatron-production.com
DAHAKA

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Jun 30, 2006 20:27
Its a good comp specially the art.
exotic
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  200
Posted : Jul 1, 2006 07:02
the last track is great !!
drug zombies interesting ....           missing plug-in
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Mental Displacement (Shiva Space Technology 2006) CD

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance