Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Mechanik Castle CD (Mechanik Records) 2004
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A - Mechanik Castle CD (Mechanik Records) 2004

OIL
Oil

Started Topics :  243
Posted : Jan 21, 2007 14:40
V/A - Mechanik Castle

Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/mec2cd005_b.jpg

Artist: Various
Title: Mechanik Castle
Format: CD (jewel case)
Label: Mechanik Records (France)
Cat. #: MEC2CD005
Distribution: Wirikuta
Date: 15 March 2004

Track listing:
-------------

Disc 1: The Oubliette
----------------------

#01. Chromatix - Mechanik Castle
#02. Neurochrome - Well of Evil
#03. Los Diablos - Perception D'lreality
#04. Neuromotor - Dead Bodies
#05. Hyper Frequencies - Route 666
#06. Phatmatix - Spasmodic Disorder
#07. Chromatone vs DJ Anaka - Electrorgazm
#08. Hyper Frequencies - Cosmic Debris
#09. Neuromotor - Laly the Cyclone

Disc 2: The Tower
-----------------

#10. Hyperchrome - Twisting Tower
#11. Chromatone - Mental Mechanix
#12. Neuromotor - Tears of Fire
#13. Crazy Lions Cult - Funkadelice
#14. Super Punk - Psycho Diva
#15. Chromatone - Monster Faucet
#16. Hyper Frequencies vs Psylom - Smokers Paradise
#17. Crazy Lions Cult - Electric Lion
#18. Chromatone vs DJ Tajmahal - Batmosphere

Review:
------

I dont know if its the tracknames, the european flavors or what. This concept reminds me of those good and old games for the pc, from 3DO.
The Might & Magic stuff u know? I definetly appriciate that feeling coming from a psytrance record.
Not to be forgot; Chromatone did a great job mastering this piece!

\|..:: Lets take a look at those trax huh? ::..|/

Disc 1: The Oubliette
----------------------

#01. Chromatix - Mechanik Castle

So after some "stairwell-action(?)" life begins inside the Mechanik Castle. Its hard to say what sounds comes from Chromatone and what sounds comes from Phatmatix.
Maybe thats a good thing, i donno. But one thing u reckon at an instant; this smells european. It should, cause its the french elite that is drilling holes
in your brain.
Powerfull, magical and dramatic vibes coming at you in 145 booms per moment.
Now 3 years after this release I can say that both Chromatone and Phatmatix has kept to their style throughout the years. So people who are regular fans of these
fellas nowadays, should definetly check this out.

#02. Neurochrome - Well of Evil

Quite a powerfull, driving bassline. It follows up kinda where the previous one went off, in somekind of dramatical, windy episode. I really like the
synthesizings on this one, but there could be some more of a drumwar in there to satisfy me. But great rhytms for sure. Somehow it feels kinda short. I guess
I need more melodies.

#03. Los Diablos - Perception D'lreality

I dont know who this group consists of really. And something tells me it will be quite hard to realise since the cd is filled with collaboes. And the names
doesnt make it easier now do they. But, confisious tells me; Dont mind!
Some great stereoplaced sample-work on this one before it really kicks off with some gnarly leads.
Finally some more melodies! Its a more comic theme this time. The FM synethesis is teasing with me, but I like him.
Best track this far, also the longest one on the cd.

#04. Neuromotor - Dead Bodies

Theres some dirty looking, somewhat a female looking creature looking at me. Saying Dead Body. In this case im taking it as an invitation.
Again its a pretty comic theme, not so gnarly and serious this time. But at the other hand, i like more the drumworks now.
I would say that is more of a pure Neuromotor track. Reminds me of the style i heard on christmas day with Neuromotor playing live act and dj set.
Interesting!

#05. Hyper Frequencies - Route 666

This is the usual funky, funny, and quite original style of Hyper Frequencies, with a real deep, rooling bassline as usual.
I think its gonna remind you a lot of the style he have released not so long ago on Hadra Records. Also french one by the way.
U can expect a toybox of choruses, funky kick n basswork and lots of wigglying leads. Lots of pleassure. Though, the recent released Hyper Frequencies stuff
is a lot better. But i think its the one of the filliest one this cd. Always a good thing. But, a lousy ending though im afraid.

#06. Phatmatix - Spasmodic Disorder

When it comes to compilation trax from Phatmatix, he always have this habit to make me think that his bassline and kick is way too high in volume. Powerfull!
This quite a crazy and funny show with a pushing groove. I have the feeling that u would want to play this one on a desert party. Enjoy it.
It does remind me of Hydraglyph actually. But might be the other way around as well. Im not a Hydraglyph expert.

#07. Chromatone vs DJ Anaka - Electrorgazm

One more powerfull fella! Also this time, im starting to think of somekind of outdoor event. This is definetly more neutral twillight style. I think you can
tell that we are getting close to the second disc. Good use of the dist here I see.

#08. Hyper Frequencies - Cosmic Debris

A really groovy, but driving bassline, as the steps up to 148, fastest one on the cd. And for sure its a dynamic one. Keep going plz.
Its really good layered and bumpy, but the thing that bugs me though, is that its quite repetative, and a bit, hmm.. minimal somehow.

#09. Neuromotor - Laly the Cyclone

Best intro on the cd for sure! Instantly u get caught by "Laly the Cyclone" u know what i mean? I think it was a good choice to put Neuromotor here on the
last one, since he is a bit more neutral, less gnarly twillight style if u ask me. But quite melodical anyway.
The best thing about Neuromotor is the spaces between the madness and the chaos; the intro, the breaks, and the outro. Quite amusing!
I say an ok outro track. But could be a lot better actually...
OIL
Oil

Started Topics :  243
Posted : Jan 21, 2007 14:42
Disc 2: The Tower
-----------------

#10. Hyperchrome - Twisting Tower

So we keep going in the same range of bpm. In a more sneaky, early morning kinda mood. I hope this disc is a more mystical one, cause im not really found of
usual morning music.
But ye, for sure we are on a more morning note now. Alot of morning dynamic elements in here. But still a bit melodical taste. Still lots of great fx and atmospheres.
I like this one as a starting track more than the first one.

#11. Chromatone - Mental Mechanix

This track really lets me know ive landed on the second disc. This far, it seems that this disc holds alot more outdoor feeling though. Mostly appriciated
outdoors (ofcourse!). What can I say, great more joyfull morning glory with a twist.

#12. Neuromotor - Tears of Fire

Definetly a desert-track folks! You need to play this track by the sea and let Poseidon hear your tribal thumping.
Theres some warm and cousy feeling over this one, encompaned with hallow atmospheres, makes me appriciate the melodies even more, but the drums could
once again be more original and dynamic. The track as a whole could definetly be less repetative as well. The peaks are quite defined though!
In general i think it has a bit Safi Connection, and arabic touch, am i wrong?

#13. Crazy Lions Cult - Funkadelic

Crazy samplework and disty gnarly allthough melodic, storytelling leads. Im suspecting this track to have a really cool and crazy attitude. This track also
makes me suspect that Hyper Frequencies may be part of this group.
Really great buildups and layering. Sounds really filly, and original as well. A bit of somewhat retro-touch(?), fun to hear for sure! Allthough the track sounds a bit dry actually.

#14. Super Punk - Psycho Diva

This is the first of this sort of comic style of the French elite i think. Im not sure who are in this group. Maybe Phatmatix and Hyper Frequencies? Lots of
appriciated acidlines trough some cool samples now and then. Its sort of a mystic theme really but played in a funny way. Sort of like Roger Rabbit, hehe..
Pretty good climax.

#15. Chromatone - Monster Faucet

A straight U-turn to the misty hallow morning sides. I think theres a bit israeli-sound over this one. Not really my thing, but i deal with it.
I can admit though that its quite dynamic but could be a whole lot more original. I demand better.

#16. Hyper Frequencies vs Psylom - Smokers Paradise

This is a hilarious tale that will stick like wet weed onto peoples minds. The dynamics and melodies are great. The buildups are not so wellmade. It also lacks a variation. But it works! If u like this track, u gonna worship the remix. Im sure most of you have heard it by now though.

#17. Crazy Lions Cult - Electric Lion

We are starting to get close to the way end. I would appriciate something mindblowing around here. Yes.... something a lil more uplifting like this style could do it! The leads themselves is a bit clubby and usual. But as a whole they make a nice ensemble. Much appriciated usage of it in the climax. Also appriciated big sounding percussion. For sure im in the djungle!

#18. Chromatone vs DJ Tajmahal - Batmosphere

Last stop! My expectations and demands are always the biggest here, hehe. Definetly sounds chromatone. More original and nasty morning funk this time.
Some odd(to come from Chromatone, based on my knowledge) interesting atmospheric breaks, didnt expect that really. The last 3rd of the track is a great turn and im getting the feeling that we are getting close to the finnish. Great atmospheres!! This track is definetly worthy of being the end, and Chromatone should start a downtempo project btw, if he hasnt already???

My favorite cd-ingravings: 01, 06(!), 08(!!), 09(!!!) ,10(!), 13, 14(!), 16(!!!)
----------------------

My grade to this piece: 7.8 Percys out of 10 possible - http://personal.inet.fi/private/tomas.karlsson/Percy2.GIF
-----------------------

I hope we will see more of Mechanik Records this year Cheers!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Links:
-------
http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/mec/mec2cd005.html
http://www.mechanik-records.com/index1.html
-Abatwa-
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  42
Posted : Jan 21, 2007 21:23
Wow this hadnt been reviewed? Me thinks this is one of the best, most fun and groovy compilations that has come my way in the last couple of years. Got loads of smashing tracks in it. Dark melodic full on yet very creative and keeps you in da groove. Get it if you haven t already.           `Bottomless wonders spring from simple rules, which are repeated without end` Mandelbrot
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Jan 21, 2007 22:29
Yeah, I kinda like it too and it's good value for money. You get 2 cd's for the price of one           "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
hypergill
Hyper Frequencies

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Jan 22, 2007 10:10

waooh...it's really cool to read finally a review about this compilation! thankssss OIL!!
just one thing....it's a almost 2 years old compilation (released in February 2005), not 3 year old....
I still play some of the track here, and I can tell you that working still well!! so you can still buy it héhé!!
but also you have now a new one on the shop....
http://forum.isratrance.com/viewtopic.php/topic/93019/forum/41

and some over arrived in 2007....

http://hyperfrequencies1.free.fr
http://myspace.com/hyperfrequencies
http://www.myspace.com/mechanikrec
www.syncronizerecords.com
-----------------------------------------------------------
Meta
Meta/Boomslang

Started Topics :  24
Posted : Jan 22, 2007 21:02
Quote:
On 2007-01-21 14:42, OIL wrote:
Chromatone should start a downtempo project btw, if he hasnt already???

MORPHONIX! His chilled Psy-Breaks project album is out soon on Vaporvent.

http://www.crystal-code.com/labels/Vaporvent/Morphonix-Furbot.html

Mechanik Castle is a great comp, this really put Chromatone on the map... see what being locked in Fred's dungeon for 6 months with no internet will do for you?
          http://soundcloud.com/aeon604
http://www.metaekstasis.com/
http://the1134.com/
Braindrop
Braindrop

Started Topics :  140
Posted : Apr 28, 2007 12:52
Lol... i finally dig this one out from this section! This is a pure gem from Mechanik!

BOOM!
          www.braindrop.in
exotic
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  200
Posted : Apr 30, 2007 07:15
i still play this one a lot ... really dig most of the tracks !!

i think this one stood the test           missing plug-in
mudpeople
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  113
Posted : May 1, 2007 04:11
Great one, loved it since I got it years ago. Actually, it was one of the first psy releases I ever bought! And yes, it still gets dug out now and then!

Great stuff. Glad to see it finally reviewed, and so well!           .
MorNinG MaGiC

Started Topics :  0
Posted : May 3, 2007 15:58
I CAN NEVER GET OVER THIS CD ITS TIMELESS , the structure the production the story the concept is so jus brilliant ..!
prbly mechanik crews best VA till date IMO ..!
the work put in here by lawerence hoffman and the entire crew is jus staggering its unbelievable its so utterly delightful to listen , dance to i play this hell a lot ..! HAT'S OF TO THE ENTIRE CREW .. ! u cant make such works again ..! this kinda work jus happens more or less once or maybe if ur lucky twice in a lifetime ..!@
This CD is a timeless piece of artwork and will be in my case for as a GEM WORK ...!!
LOVE IT ..!
all the best for your future to the entire crew .. giles baba , fred , lawerence , stef and anaka ..!
luv n lite to all ..! booOm ..!
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Mechanik Castle CD (Mechanik Records) 2004

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance