Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A Grey Area (Exposure Productions Feb. 2006)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A Grey Area (Exposure Productions Feb. 2006)

Trance2MoveU
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  50
Posted : Mar 8, 2006 06:54
I'm awake, so I guess I will review this one.

1. Terra Tronics- Protoculture Space sample with power strings in the background. I have an ominous feeling and then I am hit with a fading lead that comes in and out. Nice voice pad, and I can tell I am in a smooth Protoculture track. The bassline grooves on and then a high-pitched melody that is just beautiful. Psy peeks in from all around. I love how he makes a lead, allows it's presence to be known, but doesn't allow it to overstay its welcome. There are so many melodies that you feel like you are floating. Even the sample evokes an ethereal quality about it. Beautiful and with power! Almost perfect. 9.5/10

2. Athina- Electric Universe We jump right into a fast-paced bassline. A metallic lead rides its coattails and then a frenetic distorted lead. Evolving, nurturing even. I like the break where a different metallic lead trickles in and out. A more powerful lead takes over and joins the bassline to move things along. You can hear another melody right underneath that keeps itself in the shadows, but slowly creeps into another break. I really like the direction that EU is heading. Very good track...full of wonder. 8.5/10

3.Take It or Leave It- Deedrah Man, it feels like we just jumped from the EU track right into this one. Dominating lead drives us with the bassline and then a funky twisting lead twirls between my ears. The break was nice and very short. A real break intertwines synth lines in a space-like dance above that ever present driving bass. This track is ever-changing. Just when you are about to become used to its direction, it switches it up. I like that. Great effort. 8/10

4. Mechanical Male- Polaris VS Galaktik Wave Another quick intro, with some pads and right onto the back of the bassline. The squelchy lead in this one is quite nimble, darting here and there. Shimmering pads make me feel like I had a rainbow shower. This is a stomping track, albeit with not to much variety. However it sounds good. 7/10

5. Radio Silence- Wizzy Noise More uplifting spacey sounds. Nice pad with an astronaut sample to start us off. Nice groove with some power. That kick is deafening! The lead manhandles me, chewing me up and spitting me out. My head is moving, and the sound is so full. Sure, why not, throw another lead on there! 1 + Groove is more groovy! Finally a break at 4:30...I was about to surrender. More sledghammer if simple melody doesn't allow my legs to rest. This track is good and I think everyone should know it. 8/10.

6. White Lights- Dino Psarsas So whattya want me to do... Straight forward bassline accompanied by a "goa-like" melody with soft tones. Squirty sound weaves amid the percussion and I hear the rumblings of a lead gbeing generated. It soon lets its presence be felt, like an elephant in the room. Bamm...it opens you up, baring it all! Spin that shit! Great track! 8/10

7. Overstar- Prosper This is a short one clocking in at 6:02, so it wastes no time. I have heard this melody before, but man it sounds good here. Move your ass bitch! Wah Wah Wah Wah! This track has a full sound and scoops you up like Raisin Bran. We have a new beginning at 3:20 and then we are back at the same powerful melody. Not a lot of variety, but when your melody is this funky and powerful, well..screw you! 7.5/10

8. Electric Forces- S-range featuring Tranan Kind of chanting with a soft melodic pad to start and then right into a mid-tempo bassline. A gentle wailing type of lead hovers above the pads and then the hi-hats join in. Almost has a progressive feel. The short staccato rolling lead maintains with a bubbling sound. This is S-range, so you no doubt have that spacey feel. Nice effect on the voice sample...like that little girl in Poltergeist. This is definitely a softer track to allow you to recover whatever wits you may have left. Nice track! 7/10

9. Colour Storm- Prometheus Weird rising and falling sound, but I am intrigued... This is progressive to my ears, as the intensity grows. But only to a certain point. We are in cool-down mode here. Can you just picture the colour storm? I can. This is a well placed track, as the brain can only take so much bludgeoning. However, I think this is the weakest track on the CD. 7/10

10. Oblivion- Silicon Sound, Jaia, Even 11 Oh, I see where this track is going...eternity because it is almost 11.5 minutes long! This song hits the spot. Not too soft to put you to sleep, but nice enough to let you ride the vibes.

Conclusion This compilation begins with full-on and pound your brain insanity and then mellows out into a progessive set. Nicely done as well. I don't believe that there are any fillers here as all the tracks have their place. The production is good and I bet you can move the crowd with this. Again keep up the good work.

Fuck...if I keep finding good music to listen to I will never go to sleep. I have to work tomorrow.

Mdk
rajatrao2
Inactive User
Started Topics :  11
Posted : Mar 8, 2006 10:27
nice review man... congrats detox very nice va u got there! Really liked the protoculture, electric universe, dino and silicon feat jaia tracks... i personally felt the rest were not great....
good job,
rajat
rumble pack / motion drive
Rumble Pack

Started Topics :  23
Posted : Mar 8, 2006 10:45
so....have this cd since 1 week now, and my impressions are as followed:

The tracklist looked very promising, so i bought it without even listen to it...
and the cd starts with its biggest banger, protoculture the moring hero delivers here a beautyfull morningtune with cristalclear production, nice melodies and a very cool voice sample.
Unfortunatley for me after this track the pleasure stops. All the following tracks sound sometimes very simple as 2,4,8, or just something i heard too much allready.
The biggest disapointment for me is the Even 11 track. Two of my absolutley fav. artists together, but the track seems to me very boring. Its sounding very old, simple and not innovativ at all.

Well all in all its the weakest compilation imo from Exposure Prod. But the first track is worth the cd anyway.           www.myspace.com/motiondrive
http://www.myspace.com/rumblepacknaturalflowmotiondrive
Steve00
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  16
Posted : Mar 8, 2006 18:54
Should be agree with you guys-Rumble Pack-I'm make the same as you i bought the CD without hear the samples and the first track from Nate & the Prometheus track is the only ones i like of the whole CD; definitly it's good music but nothing really innovate on it, the Electric Universe track for me was the worst of the CD kinda simple I'm sure Electric Universe make better tracks of this one ... and with Wizzy Noise please dont let me started, for otherwise Dino Psarsas & Deedrah nothing really new in the tracks but for shure Dancefloor tracks I was expecting more of this monsters of the scene.

The track 4, 8, 10 the idea is always the same in the whole track, kinda boring for me that's what i didnt like but anyway... The masterization is fucking killer.
I think this CD it's good one for your personal player and for a few DJ'S could be a good tool, good luck to Exposure Productions with hi's next releases.
full_on
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  279
Posted : Mar 8, 2006 19:49
I disagree with you guys, I listened to the samples at saikosounds over and over (during an overnight Lab experiment ) and it sounded like a solid compilation.

Tracks that really caught my attention are Dino Psarsas - White Lights which is a powerful dancefloor track , packed with interesting samples (I need that samples! ) and the right dose of psychedelic effects that just makes me dance.

I also liked Electric Universe, Deedrah and Wizzy Noise also brings more points to this concise release.

The polaris track has funny samples:

"Man turns animal... Pleasures of women... Can anyone stop the mechanical male?"

Protoculture and Even 11 need no comments, they really took me for a morning ride!

Sample to the protoculture track (from the game Doom 3):

"I think I've found the map alluded to on one of the tablets. The artifact is constructed into the ceiling and it is a magnificent find.
It appears to be made of some crystalline material, and even after all this time, it is still emitting a soft glow. The markings on it were strangely familiar when I first observed it, and after digitizing it and analyzing it, I'm certain this is a map of our solar system."

Although I did not listened to the whole tracks and not even in good quality, it sure sounds like a robust compilation.
Respect!
...Be gentle with the earth...
...Dance like nobody's watching...
...I don't mind not going to Heaven, as long as they've got Coffee in Hell...
Timetwister

Started Topics :  8
Posted : Mar 9, 2006 15:03
I've received my copy last week, and I am stunned with track one, two and ten. The others were so-so in my opinion, though perhaps I'll have to give them another try as they might grow on me over time. But those three tracks made it worth every penny, so Detox, thnx for a decent comp that has put a smile on my face for the last week.
..::PsySacred::..
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  21
Posted : Mar 10, 2006 22:22
nice review Trance2MoveU , What A Great Compilation With Best Artist Of Nowdays..I Shoudl Say Congratulations To Detox For Bring This Quality Compilation
,Well About Grey Area For Me Tracklist Saying Everthing! MasterPiece Tracks From ProtoCulture , Electric Universe , Deedrah , Dino Psaras , Silicon Sound & Jaia & Even 13...! Wow i really really enjoyed..also i have another version of protoculture's track...this one is longer than that track i have..those track are reallllly masterpice with some different sounds..
Highley Recomended
keep up the good work Exposure Productions
my fav trax are : 1(!!!!),2(!!),3(!!),6(!!!),7,8,9,10(!!!)
Shaqattack
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  71
Posted : Mar 11, 2006 12:11
to be very honest..i was kinda dissapointed...

after the previous release i expected something of the same sort..probably expectations make ur mind perceive something and bias is formed...

the only track that made me smile was the prometheus track..

but then again its only my opinion...good that people liked the album...

peacE
full_on
IsraTrance Team

Started Topics :  279
Posted : Mar 13, 2006 01:54
Ha ha! I got the samples for the Dino track, it's the first sample I have notice from the movie Sin City.

"- So what you want me to do?"

"It's so stupid...
Everybody knows what's coming, but they go through the motions anyway...
What a waste of time..."

"I joined in..."

This track is nice, also Prometheus track has grew on me.

I'm enjoying this release, scheduled it for buying, so probably in around two months I'll post my complete review, but don't worry, I have a feeling that soon we'll have a pr0fane or DeathPosture review, which I think are guys with a reliable opinion.
Respect!

...Be gentle with the earth...
...Dance like nobody's watching...
...I don't mind not going to Heaven, as long as they've got Coffee in Hell...
pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Mar 13, 2006 18:35

Quote:

On 2006-03-13 01:54, full_on wrote:

I'm enjoying this release, scheduled it for buying, so probably in around two months I'll post my complete review, but don't worry, I have a feeling that soon we'll have a pr0fane or DeathPosture review, which I think are guys with a reliable opinion.
Respect!

I only ordered the CD today, and I am really busy at the moment, so don't expect an extensive review from me in the next couple of weeks. Maybe if I REALLY like it           DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Apr 18, 2006 21:52
Artist: Various
Title: Grey Area - compiled by DETOX
Label: Exposure Productions
Format: CD (Jewelcase with standard 4-page inlay)
Released: February, 2006
Cover: http://217.160.138.169/pic_b/exp1cd003_b.jpg

Review:

Exposure Productions was launched in 2004 by DETOX from Greece - a guy quite well-known on for instance the Isratrance forum, where he has always been a member (and for a period also moderator) with a serious attitude towards the trance-scene and strong opinions. His label is dedicated to releasing music of high quality in the already flooded market of full on releases, and it seems to go rather well, as I personally found the labels second compilation, "Digital Performers" one of the best full on compilations released last year.

Just recently the labels 3rd compilation, "Grey Area" was released, and once again with a solid lineup of some of the scenes most well-known acts around.

01. Protoculture - Terra Tronics [143 BPM]
The opener is by Protoculture from South Africa, who just released his 2nd album "Circadian", and who I personally consider one of the very best full on producers in the last couple of years. "Terra Tronics" can also be found on his new album, but I personally don't consider it among his very best tunes - it's a real stomper for the dancefloor, but I think the melodies are too fast, too heavy on breaks, and the voice-samples seem over the top. Although it isn't as magical as some of his very best material, it is a very good full on tune though.

02. Electric Universe - Athina [145 BPM]
Boris Blenn aka Electric Universe and Jupiter 8000 is one of the remaining old legends on the psytrance scene, and "Athina" certainly has a bit of old-school psytrance flavour. I haven't really liked his last couple of releases, but this is high quality stuff - fast and driving, with a plethora of melodies that take you back to "the good old days" of goatrance. A true anthem for the festival dancefloors this summer.

03. Deedrah - Take It Or Leave It [145 BPM]
"Take It Or Leave It" is by another highly respected act, Deedrah from France - also known as Synthetic, Dado and part of GBU, Transwave and a handful of other acts. DJ's might like that the fact that there is no real intro, and this is definitely a full on DJ tool. Doesn't provide as many clever twists and turns as I've come to expect from Deedrah, but overall it does a pretty good job.

04. Polaris versus Galaktik Wave - Mechanical Male [146 BPM]
The French act Polaris is up next with a collaboration with Galaktik Wave - an act that is quite unknown to me. "Mechanical Male" is a fairly good full on tune - the voice-samples are funny and clever, and overall this tune is certainly not bad, but does sound a bit too generic in my ears. Great dance floor stuff.

05. Wizzy Noise - Radio Silence [141 BPM]
The Greek act Wizzy Noise, who recently released a single and an album on Exposure Productions in cooperation with Harmonia Records, give the compilation a Greek touch. "Radio Silence" is in their usual style with huge, slightly tribal basslines, big trancy riffs and crystal-clear production. Another good tune from Wizzy Noise.

06. Dino Psaras - White Lights [145 BPM]
UK's Dino Psaras, known for his involvement in projects like Cydonia and Tortured Brain provide the compilation with a hint of night time gloominess. Some voice-samples from "Sin City" give the track a dark, disturbing touch, while the morning fans might like the uplifting synths, although they do sound like something you would expect from a hardtrance tune.

07. Prosper - Overstar [143 BPM]
Prosper from Yugoslavia is up next with the somewhat surprising tune "Overstar". At first it's groovy, with a very progressive touch and delightful positive melodies, but slowly increasing in intensity before the big breakdown when it goes into more typical full on morning madness. Very fine and delicate track, definitely not what I was expecting.

08. S Range featuring Tranan - Electric Forces [142 BPM]
Up next is a collaboration between the two Swedes S>Range and Tranan, one half of Logic Bomb. I personally don't like S>Ranges recent move towards full on, but this track was a very pleasant surprise that bring out memories of the sweet morning Logic Bomb sound like on the classics "Datalinks" and "Computers & Microprocessors". Soft, melodic morning-trance with a subtle, thoughtful edge to it - I'm loving it.

09. Prometheus - Colour Storm [136 BPM]
The slowest track on the compilation is by one of the Twisteds unusual suspects, Prometheus, also known for his involvement in projects like Younger Brother and Cyberbabas. "Colour Storm" is somewhat a disappointment in comparison with his last couple of releases - I feel it simply lacks energy, psychedelia and atmosphere. Ok, it's a good tune on its own, but I was expecting something a little more impressive.

10. Silicon Sound and Jaia present Even 11 - Oblivion [140 BPM]
To finish the compilation we get a real masterpiece of a track. Even 11 is a collaboration between Silicon Sound and Jaļa, who also worked together on the marvellous track "Passengers" on the last Exposure Productions compilation - but this track is even better. "Oblivion" runs for over 11 minutes, and is a progressive/full on crossover tune, that is definitely to be found among my favourite tracks this year. The sound is huge, the melodies are long and optimistic, and even though it's filled with energy, it doesn't seem rushed and stressful at all. Epic, dreamy track.

Bottom line:

"Grey Area" is another solid compilation from the young Greek label Exposure Productions. The style is concentrated around the popular full on sound, even though the last half of the compilation does explore the more progressive side of the scene - and it does a very good job. Overall it doesn't take any really big risks, but the quality is undoubtedly very high, there are no downright bad tracks, and you'll definitely find yourself dancing to some of these tunes this summer.

If you're into the sound of labels like Neurobiotic, Nano and Turbo Trance, and you're looking for a new morning full on compilation for your collection, then look no further than "Grey Area".

Favourites:

1, 2, 3, 7, 8 (!), 10 (!!!!)

Verdict:

8/10

Link:

Exposure Productions: http://www.exposure-productions.net           DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
andonis
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  28
Posted : Apr 18, 2006 22:21
Liked the 'Electric Universe - Athina' and 'Silicon Sound and Jaia present Even 11 - Oblivion' tracks much. I also think the previous compilation has been better but this one is not bad and if you're into full-on definetely worth checking out and buying. Still Exposure is to me one of the best labels nowadays in the full-on/psychedelic genre.
keyop
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Apr 19, 2006 17:09
I expected a bit more from this album though it has to be said there are a couple of tunes that rock my world. The Protoculture track i quite likey and the 1st half of the Wizzy track (it gets a bit boring after that imo)
As for the Dino track, it's one of his finest to date imo. This guys really got his finger on the pulse.

brb345

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Apr 21, 2006 17:08
Im actually disspointed with the protoculture track, I guess I expect too much from him these days..nice for the dancefloor but nothing special melody wise.

Favourite on here has to be dino's white lights, love his style and very very nice samples!

Next would be electric universe's athina..very old school goa like melodies which I like. Even 11's oblivion I think is a PERFECT track. not full-on yet not progressive...just the way it should be!

The rest are OK, but I expected more from Wizzy Noise also!
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A Grey Area (Exposure Productions Feb. 2006)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance