Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Goa X (YSE 2004)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A - Goa X (YSE 2004)

Basilisk
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  168
Posted : Aug 5, 2004 23:53
Release Title: Goa X
Label: Yellow Sunshine Explosion
Media Format: CD
Catalogue No.: YSE051-2

01. Atmos / Klein Aber Doktor (Alexander Ligowski Remix)
02. GMO / Keep
03. Chromosome / Border Lines
04. Blue Vortex / Brain File
05. Andromeda / Drone Planet
06. Midi Miliz / Irreflixible (Binary Mix)
07. Soul Surfer / Tunnel Version
08. Symphonix / Signal To Noise
09. Sonic Cube / Kids
10. Alexander Ligowski / Energized (Headman Remix)

All right... let's ignore the stupid misleading name of this compilation and jump right in to the music:

Alexander Ligowski refreshes an Atmos classic with style... very clean progressive beats with alternating dirty synths and sparkling highs, sound-wise somewhere between M-Sphere and FREq perhaps. A solid opener and good remix. GMO's Keep is next... a rather short and unremarkable piece of prog, but it has its place on this album in slot number two. Chromosome have been surprising the world recently after having unleashed two albums and singles on many new compilations... Borderlines is a stand-out track from them which a very nice amount of depth to the sound (still with hints of Logic Bomb)... the first few minutes are quite relaxed while sparkling synthwork emerges from the percussive patterns... samples from the Final Fantasy movie don't contribute much to the song, but they aren't overbearing either. A few breaks and the song develops in luxurious fashion to have elastic stereo-panning melodic sweeps that are quite serene. Overall a very harmonic and light-hearted morning tune, a highlight for me. Blue Vortex brings the energy up a little more with Brain File, another serene and melodic tune with a more psychedelic edge to it. Small notes and squid sounds proliferate in the soundscape but this track holds few surprises. Decent and certainly fits into the context of the album. Drone Planet from Andromeda continues the mood and opens up the stereo field to larger bass lines. Slinky effects creep back and forth to the drum of the percussive forces. Atmospherics give a hint of vertigo as they slide into the next pattern keeping the neurons dancing. Midi Miliz have a track on here next: Irreflexible. In some ways this doesn't quite fit on this compilation of progressive newcomers - Midi Miliz clearly have quite a lead in their production techniques above and beyond anyone else here, excepting perhaps Ligowski. This tune is an atmospheric piece, channeled straight out of the ether. Tunnel Vision by Soul Surfer relies on sample usage but I can't help but enjoy the eastern flavour to this offering. Another nice relaxing track. Symphonix present Signal to Noise, a bit of a tougher progressive piece with a darker feel. Kids by Sonic Cube is a clubbier progressive tune, keeping the flow angled downward for the CD as a whole. Alexander Ligowski closes out the album with Energiez, a sort of big-room trance affair with broken-beat breakdowns, light vocal & vocoder touches, bass-line key changes, and upbeat percussion.

Goa X is a sublime compilation with an excellent flow to it making it a great choice for home-listening. This release hits my progressive sweetspot perfectly. The track ordering is ideal, and there is a balance between the highlights and the filler. Not every album has to be loaded with top tunes - this one benefits from the overall quality, the flow, the direction... its the kind of album where all the tracks are nicely done and different people are likely to have their own favourites to pick out of the batch... and with time one is likely to find more to their liking as the music grows within.

Favourites: all the Chromosome material, Ligowski's two tunes, and Midi Miliz.

Enjoy
duyoush
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  164
Posted : Aug 8, 2004 02:35
hey man.. great review !!
i also like this compilation..
my Fav tracks are no' 3,4,5,6
Yellow Sunshine Explosion never failed !
cheers           "The external world became changed as in a dream and colors became more glowing.When the eyes were closed,colored pictures flashed past in a quickly changing kaleidoscope.what had caused this condition?"
Albert Hofmann Laboratory Notes (1943)
duyoush
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  164
Posted : Aug 8, 2004 02:36
hey man.. great review !!
i also like this compilation..
my Fav tracks are no' 3,4,5,6
Yellow Sunshine Explosion never failed !
cheers           "The external world became changed as in a dream and colors became more glowing.When the eyes were closed,colored pictures flashed past in a quickly changing kaleidoscope.what had caused this condition?"
Albert Hofmann Laboratory Notes (1943)
gh0zt

Started Topics :  2
Posted : Aug 8, 2004 07:47
Thanks for the review, I was planning on picking this one up....might just have to now!
pr0fane
Multiphase

Started Topics :  418
Posted : Aug 17, 2004 18:19
I agree with basilisks nice review - A great compilation from YSE, which proves they can release other compilations than “greatest hits” from other labels.

My favourites are Andromeda (if you haven’t checked out their debut album also on YSE, do so!), Midi Miliz, Sonic Cube (who also released a marvellous album on YSE) and the last track from Alexander Ligowski.

8/10           DJ pr0fane (Iboga Records) | Multiphase
www.sunrisesupplies.com | www.iboga.dk | www.soundcloud.com/pr0fane
clown
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  97
Posted : Aug 18, 2004 01:44
is the midi miliz track different from the one on COLD CUTS??? i know its a remix, but how different/remixed is it??? harder?? softer?? new sounds???

Thanks           "VA - REWIRED" OUT NOW !! (techtrance invasion) ---> http://forum.isratrance.com/viewtopic.php/topic/86303/forum/9
http://psy.techno.fm <------- Jester Records's Internet Radio channel
www.jesterrecords.ca
Trolly

Started Topics :  1
Posted : Aug 23, 2004 16:01
very nice progressiv/psychedelic stuff mostly for the morning
the first Label Compilation from YSE is worth to buy.
all in all a nice atmospheric, floating cd.
my fav: 3, 4, 5

peace
Acidhive
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  76
Posted : Aug 25, 2004 13:07
Great compilation here with no downers. Nice to hear an old Atmos track getting a new 'paintjob'... hehehe The andromeda and chromosome tracks are very good too. Fat length on the Chromosome track of over nine minutes. Nicely done!!

Clown, the Midi Miliz track is not very different from the one that's on Cold Cuts.
The main mix on Cold Cuts is probably the original. The binary mix sounds more dry, it doesn't have a lot of those swirling sounds in the background. The main melody line and bassline remain the same. Hope that answers your question.
          "Subconscious unravels at the point of death, and all time it has known erupts into a moment. As death extinguishes us, so we become it."

[Esoteric: Subconscious Dissolution Into The Continuum]
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Goa X (YSE 2004)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance