Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Future Cuts compiled by Multistate [Timecode Records 2007]
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A - Future Cuts compiled by Multistate [Timecode Records 2007]

squirm
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  254
Posted : Dec 24, 2007 23:57
future cuts is the latest offering from timecode records and its been put together by none other than multistate (xatrik vs lost n found). all i can say is that this cd includes some great twilight music following in the vein of the trashy, gritty music that multistate and timecode are now well known for. enough talk lets get to the cd:

1.twisted system - psychopath [141 bpm]: first up we have south african super team shift, phyx and rabdom l together forming 'twisted system'. this is kind of slow paced at 141 bpm, but dont let that fool you, this is one hell of a stomper. This track starts on a very grim and spooky note. Its minimal and the pads are eery, with strange chanting coming and going accompanied with very phyx-esque fx. At this point id say they sound a lot like devient species. Very old school, and just plain scary. At 2.44 this track just comes to life, the minimal effect is maintained but now the bassline is set, we are in for an epic journey into the depths .... 'psychopath'.... the track progresses flawlessly, with an epic break. The seething melody is just amazing, it stays with you and is truly haunting. Put that together with a very raw kick bass and what you have on your hands is an anthem. And this isnt even the half of it, after much teasing the track finally reveals itself by the 5th minute. The leads are just twisted, and I love the way they keep tweaking out with little nudges and pitch changes, very reminscent of the stuff we see in rabdom l's solo works. The epic journey goes on for a whole 8:43 sec, and towards the end the leads come back for round 2. overall this is an epic track, that is dark, grim and moody and will certainly take the listeners places. Without a doubt – 9/10.

2.scorb vs concept – dissident factions [146 bpm]: following that monster opening track we have a unique collaboration between scorb and concept. One thing iv noticed about collaborations with scorb is that they always turn out to represent all the artists behind it, and this is no different. it perfectly represents both the concept and scorb sounds. Right from that pounding bassline, to the wonderful melodies that scorb is known for, to the twisted mayhem that concept brings with his 3d influence. Overall the feeling of this track is more in the same vein as the previous one, dark gritty, but at 146 bpm this is a lot more active and engaging. Expect some sick very sick metallic sounds, beautiful melodic touches accompanied with some freaky samples, ' all dissident factions on signal go'.... the buildup that follows this is just insane! Never losing it completely, yet maintaining the power and story, the climax I feel is more like what concept brings to his tunes. Hypnotic and unrelenting. This is one hell of a track and well lives to what one would expect when these 2 producers get together. 9/10.

3.phyx – kansas city shuffle [145 bpm]: next up we have south african heavy weight phyx with his 2nd appearance on this cd. Phyx has been putting out some very serious music off late with his last offering 'fatality' destroying many innocent dancers. This track is no exception. it starts with an interesting sample of bruce willis talking about the kansas city shuffle, taken from the movie 'lucky number slevin'. this track is characteristic phyx stuff, many familiar sounds, and a rock solid kick bass. with this track this cd manages to take a more menacing serious tone. the power level on this one keeps things going, and the melodic touch on this one certainly makes clear what phyx brings to the table, an epic haunting touch which is easily associable with most of the twisted system stuff. around 4.30 this track starts a spiral into madness in ways only phyx can pull off. very phat leads coupled with some very very twisted sounds, brings this monster rolling. pure mayhem is the only way to describe it. around the 6th minute phyx adds a new dynamic level to this tune, which includes a melody that is epic, sort of like his work as brethren (with tickets). in the end, if anyone wanted to jump start a party by giving listeners a coronary, this is what they'd play 9/10

4. multistate - hq part 2 [145 bpm]: with this tune we are finally introduced to the 2 minds who put together this incredible journey. this is a remix to their first release as multistate, which was on last year's va - cryptology on timecode. the original was what put multistate on the map for me and so expectations were high. from the very get go this track had a new feel to it, yet it stayed very true to the original. the bassline and the whole feel of the track though is another story altogether. think about taking a piece of trashy gritty music these guys came up with in their 1st attempt, and then add to it horns and teeth that would scare you shitless. this track is simply put it massive. the leads are blown out, the glitchy feeling of the original is twisted around, and the kick bass would make absolum smile . with this tune this cd reaches a whole new level if that were possible. amongst all the madness there is still semblance of sanity with a surreal pads that calm the listener. the part around 3.00 is just wicked, after a resounding break you think these guys would slow down but they just keep it going! subsequently a new dirty metallic lead is added which is like nothing you've heard. the break around the 5th minute goes back to the original with that warped out voice sample, but what comes next is beyond words. this track simply goes mad with some really great trashy leads and a return to the track's original melody. i really could go and on about this track, but i think iv ranted enough. in the end, this track is a fitting testament to show the evolution of multistate's sound - 10/10!!

5. mantis - blood red [146 bpm]: this is a new act i havent heard of before. the information on the cd sites the producer as sintax @ nexus core 1. sound familiar? lets have a look . the track starts off with some very nice work with haunting sweeping pads, similar to shift's previous work on alternator and sting (as pitch hikers). the kick bass creeps it way in and the track evolves smoothly. by 1.45 this track finally gets moving and there is no doubt about who is behind the controls - this track literally screams of shift. the sample 'blood red' is used well with those distorted metallic leads.soon there is a whole new melodic structure which keeps the power level rising steadily. very demented feel to it and the highs are much in the vein of the characteristic shift sound. i have to say that the bassline on this one is just sick! phat and mean . around 4.30 a new lead is introduced which is just a whole new level of madness . the break in the 5th minute is epic with those heavy pads. the track soon comes back screaming . this track i think is more dancefloor friendly as compared to the previous tracks. dont get me wrong, it packs it fair share of madness, but its sort of more refined lacking the harsher edge on the last 2 tracks. none the less, the master mind has done it again with yet another side project. 9/10.

6. xatrik vs kid x- wild card [147 bpm]: here we have xatrik with kid x (chris hurrel) taking a more serious turn as the bpm notch goes up one level. starts off innocently with some an industrial feel only to find itself with a massive kick bass. the bassline is aggressive and minimilistic but by 1.18 things finally kick off. the melodies are glitchy and trashy, i guess it would be what i call the xatrik sound. the overall feel of this track is more power than anything else, with the track never really letting itself ease up, just going higher and higher with its energy levels. the mayhem around the 3rd minute is awesome, sounds alot 3d vision meets timecode . the leads used are distorted, metallic and wobble in and out. the whole track gives you the feel of a marauding sluggy monster with its acid leads and through the roof power. the whole 5th minute is a treat and is just so noisy at times it reminds me of theoreme's myruu . this monster keeps on going till the very end, and is just an awesome awesome track. this track would simply destroy innocent minds when played at a party. this track lives up to it's name and certainly does a good job of it 9/10.
          www.soundcloud.com/ishikawa
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.phonix-records.com
www.mixcloud.com/ishikawa/
squirm
IsraTrance Senior Member

Posted : Dec 25, 2007 00:00
7. lost n found - scanner ver 2.0 [147 bpm]: keeping things going we have the other half of multistate presenting us with his solo effort. starts off with some menacing metallic ambience, and sooner than you know it there is a massive kick bass. wowzer. iv always thought that lost n found's sound had a similarity to absolum's, and this track is further proof for me . sounds alot like old azax syndrom as well to a certain extent with those distorted metallic leads literally coming up out of nowhere. very strong track this one. its fast paced and pretty much on an aggressive tone from the get go. party music for party people. this track is really cool in the sense that i believe it represents a big jump in the lost n found sound, while still maintaining his style of melodies. you know, those metallic techy distorted melodies that we all love. the power levels are off the roof on this one too, and by this time you've got to be asking yourself is this a cd or some new form of lethal overdose . the bit around the 5th minute is super sweet. with the break and the leads going into overkill and coming out with a bang that should shake many a dancefloor. aggression and raw power are the only terms that can describe this track and they still dont do it justice. this is a banging track that should be played with an evil grin . another strong stomper - 10/10!

8. outer signal vs b-55 - unstoppable [146 bpm]:here we have a collaberation between israeli outer signal and japanese b-55, the results of which are simply crazy. the track starts off with a sample talking about an 'unstoppable killing machine'.... with a start like that you know your going to find yourself stomping soon enough. the kicks used are kind of cool in that they are rather phat instead of being crisp and sharp. asides from this you can hear both projects contributing to the track which is always great to hear in collaberative tunes. you can hear outer signal's leads as well as these really twisted little leads that come and go which im assuming is all b-55. the track truely takes off by the 3rd minute, and this time around the feeling isnt as aggressive as the last 2 tracks. its definitely more danceable with no threat of minor heart attack. the track's evolution is something worth noting, its constantly getting more n more active and the break down in the 4th minute is the best bit. i love the way they distort and play around with the screams. i havent heard anything like it before and damn it leaves a lasting impression . soon after the track comes screaming back at you and the madness goes on:D. this is another solid tune by the 3d and yabai regulars which keeps things flowing nicely with this cd. 8.5/10.

9. hydraglyph - cigarettes and silver bullets [multistate rmx] [146 bpm]: this is multistate's 2nd appearance on this cd and this time around they show the lighter side of their style. the original of this track ws released in 2006 on 24/7's va - event horizon. i liked the original and when i heard artifatk drop this rmx a few months back i was blown away. the glitchyness is very apparent from the get go, starting off with a sample from the original. the bassline reminds me of the bassline on the nosferatu rmx multistate released earlier in the year. the arrangement of all the sounds differs and original sounds seem to be coming out of places you dont expect them to be. that being said its refreshing with a familiar feel. in the 2nd minute the main lead makes an appearance and its got that special multistate treatment. the break at 2.15 is pretty slick as it takes things back to the break from the original which had stellar stereo fx. this one takes a different approach, and keeps things more focused on the beats. the track peaks at 4.00 with a superb buildup. its a perfect combination of hydraglyph and multistate at this point. the original melody taking on a very glitchy trashy feel to it. the original pads and the changing bassline make this a joy to hear. if thats not enough enough they pack another buildup in the 6th minute which shows off a very different part of the track. the melodies stay but in a very submersive way with that special treatment again from multistate. overall this is a really nice rmx, different and yet true to the original. and a nice glimpse at the melodic side of 'multistate'. 9/10.

10. artifakt - the pole [144 bpm]: here we have the artifakt finishing off things on this cd with a tune from his upcoming album 'the magus'. it starts off with the familiar artifakt sound, a groovy chunky and at times strange groove. things thereafter pick up very quickly and by the end of the 1st minute itself your left grooving with an interesting melody. the layers are nice and definitely something new from the artifakt. the melodies that are introduced in the 2nd minute are really interesting. sort of a spooky yet delightful child like melody with a sick edge that artifakt creates so well. the break in the 4th minute is a little nerve rattling, but iv come to learn, always expect the unexpected with artifakt's music . the track progresses smoothly and has a buildup of sorts, with interesting loud distorted metallic leads accompanied by interesting melodic touches. in the midst of all this there are haunting whale like sounds which are plain spooky . the track goes on with it's mind games with phazer like leads accompanied with bubble distorted fx. the artifakt is definitely in. the track finally explodes in the 7th minute with a buildup of epic proportions. the delightful lead comes back and takes things in a very different direction. this track is a groovy little monster with a wonderful melodic touch. with this tune we reach a great end to this cd. 8.5/10.

well what can i say about this cd that the music doesnt already put forth so clearly. this is simply putting it powerful twilight music that will knock your socks off. if you enjoy the music that comes out of south africa you are going to want to check this out. you dont often come across a cd like this where literally every single track is a standout, the last time something of this magnitude happened i was listening to this cd called 'midnight storm' . heheh. but seriously this is some wonderful crazy music. also shows the kind of direction both timecode as a label and multistate as an act are headed towards. things are looking bright on both fronts. multistate have retained their glitchy trashy sound and have developed a edgyness to their tunes and power that is just staggering. lost n found recently signed on to 3d vision, and its after hearing this cd you can see why. the sound that lost n found n xatrik now have as multistate is very synonimous to a new age 3d sound. this is exciting stuff, definitely cutting edge, and the music associated with this kind of idea is definitely where timecode seem to be heading. this aptly named cd, 'future cuts' offers us glimpses into what we can expect from these bunch of mad men in the future and damn am i stoked . if your a fan of twilight music, dont think, just buy this cd. i promise you, you wont regret it!

overall rating - 10/10!!
favorites: the whole damn cd!!!
where you can get it:
http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/tcc/tcc1cd022.html
http://saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=6854

p.s.
the cover art is great too!
and sorry about the typo on the topic, its a 2007 release not 2006.
          www.soundcloud.com/ishikawa
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.phonix-records.com
daksinamurti
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  94
Posted : Dec 25, 2007 04:09
nice review for a nice cd ... one of timecodes best releases ever... cant wait for more
          www.sangomarecords.com
https://www.facebook.com/Djdaksi
King Salmon
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  19
Posted : Dec 25, 2007 22:57
HQ Part II is the best South African track outside of Artifakt that I have heard in a long time!           Kent
www.squidcollective.com
www.fugutrance.com
Austin, Texas, USA
Braindrop
Braindrop

Started Topics :  140
Posted : Dec 26, 2007 16:45
Nice review!
I dint like the twisted system track much. but maybe it would grow on me. Concept & scorb, Multistate, Lost and found, B55 and outer signal.. are the favs for me in this. An off the wall release from Timecode, one of my fav labels!
Good luck
          www.braindrop.in
filterhead

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Dec 28, 2007 06:56
good cd good review
EarWorm
EarWorm

Started Topics :  9
Posted : Jan 1, 2008 05:40
Thank you Squirm for the In-Depth review ...lots of stompers on this VA for sure, and the Artifakt track ends the story very nicely. All the best to Timecode and all the Artists

Max           --- "Some people see things that are and ask, Why? Some people dream of things that never were and ask, Why not? Some people have to go to work and don't have time for all that" ---

http://www.facebook.com/pages/EarWorm/140470548785?ref=mf
orca
Orca

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Jan 3, 2008 07:08
GREAT VA!!

liked all the tracks,especially the outer signal&b55 and lost&found.

well done and best of luck.
Meta-Morphosis
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  216
Posted : Nov 30, 2008 13:11
Multifuckinstate - HQ part 2..what a rippppper, mad madddd tune.

Lost & Found - Scanner V 2.0
'No experience necessary'            “What we need is the development of the Inner Spiritual man, the unique individual, whose treasure is hidden in the symbols of our mythological tradition and in man’s unconscious psych.” - CJ Jung
!Ce M@n
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  30
Posted : Dec 4, 2008 08:55
Still listen to lost n found,multistate xatrick and hydraglyph rmx... trax like this never die. new blood 2 va does not even come close to this masterpiece.           0x00000PSy
MorNinG MaGiC

Posted : Dec 4, 2008 15:27
gerhard and xatrik made a ripper of a compilation in my opinion..! I think this was the album which started the new definition of sound for xatrik and lost and found.. !
New blood 2 I somehow felt deprived of what I was expecting to hear from it.
bOOm.!
squirm
IsraTrance Senior Member

Posted : Dec 4, 2008 23:00
when comparing future cuts to new blood II, i think id have to agree with morning magic. not to say that new blood II was horrible, i quite liked it, but it certainly lacks the sheer power and intensity that future cuts has. its a rare sight when every single track of a cd stands out, and future cuts most certainly has this quality. but then again the concepts that the 2 cds present should also be considered - the new blood series has always been about showing new sounds, where as future cuts was just to sort of give an indication of where timecode is musically headed. regardless id put future cuts right up there along with other classics like twisted system - the core, multistate - collaberating with machines, va - ministry of chaos, and the midnight storm series (gale force really rocked my boat )           www.soundcloud.com/ishikawa
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.phonix-records.com
energy spliff
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  25
Posted : Dec 22, 2008 12:06
banging VA.... good review..
lost & found top track!!!           
http://www.goagil.com/chart.html
!Ce M@n
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  30
Posted : Dec 30, 2008 08:43
Quote:

On 2008-12-04 23:00, squirm wrote:
when comparing future cuts to new blood II, i think id have to agree with morning magic. not to say that new blood II was horrible, i quite liked it, but it certainly lacks the sheer power and intensity that future cuts has. its a rare sight when every single track of a cd stands out, and future cuts most certainly has this quality. but then again the concepts that the 2 cds present should also be considered - the new blood series has always been about showing new sounds, where as future cuts was just to sort of give an indication of where timecode is musically headed. regardless id put future cuts right up there along with other classics like twisted system - the core, multistate - collaberating with machines, va - ministry of chaos, and the midnight storm series (gale force really rocked my boat )

I totally agree with ya squirm .. future cuts is way ahead of new blood 2 as each track in va future cuts is unique and takes the listener to another level of psychedelia.But if ya compare New blood 2 with new blood 1 .. man New blood 1 was much killer then future cuts with trax from shift ,winter,azax,menog,phyx,digital talk,triskell ..that was one hell of a VA which was released in 2004 and still those trax blow dust from the floor and I personally find new blood 1 much killer then future cuts so was expecting much out of new blood 2.. totally agree to that they come up with new sound with their new release.was jus trying to make my pointabout new blood 2.. its not a bad CD though ..and I realy like few trax from new blood 2.
PLUR          0x00000PSy
MorNinG MaGiC

Posted : Jan 7, 2009 04:50
thats exactly my feeling NEW BLOOD 1 was a bombbiieeeee...... during its time each and every track was a ripper...!
Had a lot of expectations from the new one..! but ...! twilight has been awesome nevertheless with new 3d vision and yabai release ..!
bOom..!
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Future Cuts compiled by Multistate [Timecode Records 2007]

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance