Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V.A Frogology (Frogadelic Records) 2009
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V.A Frogology (Frogadelic Records) 2009

kazuku
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  100
Posted : Mar 6, 2010 20:14:29
I was surprised to see that nobody has reviewed this album already so here goes.

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/fgy/fgy1cd001.html

Frogadelic Records has its origins with the British party collective Tribe of Frog who are known for their indoor events and ellaborate deco work.
The line-up which is unravelled upon us by Frogadelic Records is truly monumental, with plenty of big names present. Next to classics like OOOD and AMD we are also treated to artists which represent boundry pushing, cutting edge Psytrance such as Braincell, Scorb and Tron.

1. Frogology-OOOD
2. Material World-FLIP FLOP AND TRON
3. Roadshow-AMD
4. The big trick-BRAINCELL
5. Frog addict fearsome-FEARSOME ENGINE
6. What Happened-RASTALIENS AND VIRTUAL LIGHT
7. Soothsayer-ARCHAIC
8. TOF-U-EVP
9. Malevolent Intent-SUBLIMINAL SYSTEM
10. It's about time (Frog rmx)-SCORB

kazuku
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Mar 6, 2010 20:15
1) OOOD transport us into a rich jungle setting where we find ourselves surrounded by frogs (surprise, surprise!) croaking along rhythmically in the dusk, setting the scene for what is about to break through the trees. Over the years OOOD has always managed to create a sound which always has an organic feel to it, and this is also the case here. The track simply sounds rich and bustling with energy and life like the ecosystem it is letting us envision .A playful track which coils and uncoils, winds and rolls around, plays with us without losing direction and is always good for another surprise, while croaking its way towards a wild climax of luminescent frog sex around the seven minute mark. Definetly a track that can bring smiles to any dance floor while never losing power. Great opener.

2) Flip Flop and Tron pick up the place with their driving track “Material World”. The combination works smoothly and the result could be described as intelligent Full-On. Yes, in many ways it lives from a full-on style formula, long breakdown all inclusive, and it is the “ride the baseline” vibe that pushes the track forward in essence, but it does not rely on this alone. The collaboration manages to conjure up enough atmospherics to cater to body and mind. Another interesting aspect is the lead that you hear from the 2.20 minute mark onwards. As this album has been created as a concept album with many songs being specifically written for this project, many sound elements seem to flow through the album, connecting it through these somewhat similar/reoccurring elements. The rotational saw (sorry for lack of better descriptive expressions) lead I mentioned is an example of this, but maybe that’s just my fucked up ears. This track has a lot of twists and turns and positive energy throughout. What remains similar to the OOOD track is the richness of the sound. I am no expert, but am sure the production must be excellent.

3) I like the last AMD a lot and Roadshow did not disappoint me either. This track continues our journey through Frogland seamlessly. The most intense track so far, we are a constant influx of subtle crackling pulses, a determined baseline yet never losing touch for humour. Again and again the organic croak-calling of the frogs patches things together. This track unfolds itself in phases, each phase being ushered in by quirky leads paving our path through the frog infested jungle. Don’t you love it when tracks are brim full with ideas and creativity that lesser artists may have created 3 or more tracks out of it? This is a great example of this. Vocal sample enhances the atmosphere and does not become cheese-laden in any way.

4) I might be a bit biased here, but Braincells music is amazing to my ears. Maybe the purest Psychedelic trance that can be heard 2010 AD imo. The way Ralph manages to create tracks that flow so smoothly, moulding old-and new-school elements together as easily as if they were play dough. The stuff on Temple of One was amazing, Transformation of reality was amazing, it just keeps getting better and better. His music knows only one direction, forwards into the vortex and beyond, the spirit of Goa hovering above it, ever present. The Big Trick is no different, absolute high tech wizardry.
kazuku
IsraTrance Full Member

Posted : Mar 6, 2010 20:16
) Fearsome Engine are the combo of Tristan and Laughing Buddha. These names enjoy an immense amount of respect in the psychedelic trance scene and on Frogology they have managed to contribute a very unique track which almost defines a whole new style unlike anything I have heard that I can remember. I have not heard the Fearsome Engine album, I must get round to it if it is as special as this. It combines old school elements with a very organic sound, a funky base that you have got to hear for yourself and a kind of peculiar UK club vibe (in a strange but good way). Its definitely a track which sticks in your ear and has amazing dance floor potential. I bet this has absolutely driven some dance floors completely mad. It also has an innate playfulness which is again reflected throughout this album.

6) Rastaliens and Virtual Light come crashing in at 145 BPM with a twisted yet melodic night time tune. After a short intro we are being driven a seemingly optimistic future, but chaos begins to unfold as layer over layer of mysterious effects sweep in over a bouncy baseline that never loses its humour or takes itself too seriously, another coherent theme throughout the album. Not my favourite on this album, ´for home listening at least, but should wreck havoc on dance floors at 3am (or any other time for that matter),

7) Archaic continues in a night-time orientated manner and plays with tribal elements that work nicely and give the track a lot of its personality. The Organic sounds are back again, croaking and squelching as the track gains in intensity and becomes increasingly mystery-charged. After a brief phase of clarity the relentless chattering of natural and supernatural forest animals infiltrates our brains again. Our journey through the frog-forest seems to have taken us to a strange place. For my taste the track could have gone on for a bit longer, ends kind of abruptly imo. That tribal flare really brings something to the table, need more…

8) TOF-U continues by EVP continues nicely where Archaic left off, night time sounds with a strong tribal touch, a weird symbiosis of the organic and inorganic. Definitely the most twisted track on the album, taking strangeness one step further, like having a 1980´s arcade with pinpall machines and video games and a rocket launch pad in your head over a determined baseline rushing along at 148 BPM If you have heard some other EVP stuff you have an idea what to expect. Solid track but not one of my personal highlights.

9)Our journey through Frogland is nearing an end and this is signified by a return to relative clarity courtesy of Subliminal System, I had not heard anything from Subliminal System before this and I was almost blown away. Again we are treated to a very unique style shaped from several different influences. The sound is very clean and builds very nicely with some beautiful melodies, crystal base-lines and crazy effects which are in themselves rhythmic components. The baseline and lead around the 2.15 mark really kicked my ass. Biggest suprise on the album for me.

10) Scorb is known for his crystal clear style and his contribution is the perfect way to wind down the album, the frogs have gone for a well deserved nap and we are led out of the forest on a bright and clear note, perfect for dawn. Beautiful soaring melodies and dreamy sounds capes clear away the fog, and soon the frogs will awaken to lick psychoactive dew from the leaves.

Conclusion

In my opinion this is one of the most interesting releases the last year had to offer. It comes across as a very well thought out piece of art, covering a wide variety of styles without committing to one. It is impossible to identify any tracks that drag the album down because the overall quality is so high, almost all tracks are excellent and original imho, and the album should appeal to a wide range of psy-listeners due to this.

10/10

squirm
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  254
Posted : Mar 8, 2010 07:30
i dug this album a fair bit ...
the subliminal system was a big surprise - a monster of a track really
scorb's melodic side is always epic, and much like his sol invictus track on ipso fvcto, its about time is a very beautiful piece of music
i really liked the amd track - great energy to keep tempo and groove going
flip flop vs tron's a neat track tooo
by the sounds of it i need to check out the fearsome engine asap!

all in all, i agree with kazuku, this is one solid release           www.soundcloud.com/ishikawa
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.phonix-records.com
www.mixcloud.com/ishikawa/
SUSAN01

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Mar 11, 2010 14:53
don't find much odd anymore, but I had no inkling Junior liked hip-hop music (whatever that is.)

http://www.audiomicro.com/
Nectarios
Martian Arts

Started Topics :  187
Posted : Mar 11, 2010 16:02
The CD started off great, OOOD's tune ouzes with quality and I am a sucker for that bassline!! Very fresh sounds and a bad bwoy rude style joint with jaw-dropping production make that tune one of the two belters of the comp.

Material World was alright, kept the interest going, not really into the style, but must say, falwless production in that tune.

AMD's and Braicell's tuns are the typical trance tunes that will just work the floor, nothing special or overly exciting, but they roll and roll without many things to distract you from locking into a hypnotic trance vibe with many psychedelic background subtlety and no cheese...I like such tunes. Definitely valuable tools for peak time slots.

And we come to Fearsome Engine's tune.
BASSLINE OF THE YEAR!
The 2nd belter in the comp, what an absolute stonker of a bassline!! The kind of wobbly, chunckiness that this genre is so lacking. The slow attack filter envelope bassline reminded me of 4/4 electroish tunes made by breakbeat artists about 5 years ago, the likes of Hook 'n' Sling, Meat Katie, Elite Force...etc.
The psychedelic stuff is all around the funk and I love it when that happens. One single word to describe this tune, brilliant!

Rastaliens (I used to like some of their early work) & Virtual Light (whom I've never heard of before), set a completely different mood. Kinda 3D Vision cheesy sounding leads, which I am not into at all. I forced my self into reaching the end of the tune.

Archaic's tune is a little better, not much happening, but its a steady builder that one, good for getting things a bit more exciting after warming up.

EVP comes next. Nothing really happening, not into them messy pitched cartoonish vocal and effects going. Nothing in there that made me interested. Again that tune seemed long...

Subliminal System next...never heard of Will Bolam before...ok so it drops and starts rolling where things were okish, then the break and that melody with that kinda sound that I am not into at all. Almost pushed on to the next track, but hanged on, until it came again. NEXT!

I've heard great things about Scorb, there were a couple of tunes that impressed me. It didn't sound anything like the stuff I've heard before anyway. This tune sounds ok, but nothing really to get me excited. Another break and another cheesy lead that made me think about how fantastic this compilation was, up to the middle...I was really excited about it, hearing fresh music from the start, some good builders and definite peak time tunes, up to Fearsome Engine's belter of a tune...I was thinking "oh my God I'm in for a real treat here"...but then it was all downhill (with the exception of Archaic's tune). It was like fresh UK sounding music up to the middle and then it was something else.

Definitely worth getting for the first half.          
http://soundcloud.com/martianarts
Wizack Twizack
Wizack Twizack

Started Topics :  239
Posted : Mar 12, 2010 13:58
awsome compilation.
fearsome engine
Archaic
scorb
is killer ones.
this rastaliens n virtual tune i have heard like 3 diffrent versions of and i must say this one on the cd is the worst imo. the first one was more rough and psy.
and the oood track is pretty heavy and cool.
great job on this one!

cheers!           For Contact & Bookings:
Wizack_Booking@hotmail.com
www.soundcloud.com/wizack_Twizack
New Album Out: Wizack Twizack - IV (Ovnimoon Records 2011) http://www.beatport.com/#release/wizack-twizack-iv/387698
energy spliff
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  25
Posted : Mar 12, 2010 15:38
sick album.... i love the diversity... well written story... fearsome engine and oood rock it big upps to tribe of the frog... no.1 comp for 2009! All the tracks stand out on this one. its massive           
http://www.goagil.com/chart.html
bearpill
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  32
Posted : Mar 14, 2010 10:43
Yeah this one is a cracker-The EVP track works a treat on the dance floor

9.5/10 from me
World Psychedelic

Started Topics :  0
Posted : Jul 22, 2011 18:22
Good compilation this one IN my collection;)           "Make so that the dream has changed your life before life will change your dream."
Braindrop
Braindrop

Started Topics :  140
Posted : Jul 28, 2011 20:45
Nice compilation..

Braincell, Archaic, Evp the winners for me here.
Actually wasnt too impressed with the Fearsome engine one.

And correct me if im wrong, the last track, i thought it was another artist called Frog who remixed a Scorb track?? Even though if not, i found it to be one of the best ones in this. I felt it had a really beautiful vibe, easy goin, smooth.. felt like floating... Scorb def. never lets down!
          www.braindrop.in
Virtual Light
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  12
Posted : Jun 21, 2012 21:55

Ye Mr Jay Rastaliens sent the wrong version of the track !! Which really sucks .. Lack of communication there. Then of course both our computers crashed and we lost it all. And the kick sounds like a tin can smashing against a hippie.
          Bookings : Reptiloid@hotmail.com
Facebook : Vincent Virtual-Light
Soundcloud :http://soundcloud.com/virtual-light
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V.A Frogology (Frogadelic Records) 2009

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance