Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Dark Side of the Mind compiled by Scam [Vision Records 2007]
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A - Dark Side of the Mind compiled by Scam [Vision Records 2007]

squirm
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  254
Posted : Apr 16, 2008 07:01:53
'dark side of the mind' is the second release from south african based label, vision records. i believe their first cd was sort of an experimentation to see what direction they'd take, and im quite happy with the path chosen. here we have some fine tuned twilight tunes. lets get to the music

1. n.r.s. vs kode six - cluster duster [146 bpm]: this is an interesting collaberation with englishman paul wright (n.r.s.) and a relatively new act from canada, kode six. starts off with some heavy atmospheres... 'we live in a darkness of our own making blind to a habited world all but unseen by us'... what follows is some strange work with some kick drums, all the while long you can hear the track building and without wasting much time you have a slick bassline being dropped. there are some seriously disturbing fx and a very aggressive tone. the progression is much like n.r.s's other work but the the work in the percussions department is something where both projects have tweaked. the track builds like a monster, taking its sweet time, but never quite missing a step. the break in the 3rd minute is well pulled off and the leads introduced are crazy. they have a certain edgyness to them. definitely some ear candy . judging from kode six's last release id say this would be more along their sound. just when you think things are about to die down in the 4th minute there is some wicked work that im certain has n.r.s's name written all over it. this squeeky little lead which is introduced, can be caught ever so often in nrs's work. the break in the 5th minute again uses the sample from the start with the humourous kick drums, only this time around.... 'are you sure there is going to be one unpleasant surprise before we are done?' and boom! things go forward with some staggering energy . the leads from the beginning return to finish the job . there are some nifty little tricks pulled off in the background and the track ends as it starts - with an all business attitude . overall this is an interesting collaberation. i think it might have the potential for more, perhaps a rmx in the future or something. overall a pretty crazy tune from n.r.s n kode six. 8.5/10

2. rubix cube - exhale [146 bpm]: this is the mmd new comer's 2nd release after the widely appreciated 'quibonomics' off last year's 'cold conclusion'. starts off with a more dynamic atmosphere to it than the previous tune. 'space - the final frontier'.... by 0.27 you have a rock solid kick bass... damn you have to wonder where this rubix cube has been all this time? this is some good old south african madness with a very unique sound to it. what i appreciate is the clarity and space each sound has to itself, and amidst the derangement there are all sorts of crazy melodies. this tune literally talks to you and all i can do is smile and tap along to this tune. the melodic aspect here is very spacey. the slow down around 2.15 is packed with spacey sounds, and soon after derangement follows. i love the way this track picks up near 3.00. its like a massive energy ball just growing and growing . as the track comes back it gets across an element of deranged loooneyness with new leads which continue this story. the break at the end at 5.00 is where this tune just looses it. some very nice glitchy warped leads with the ever consistant melody. a steller tune and a great follow up to the previous track. im really looking forward to hearing more releases from this act, especially the debut album slated for sometime this year . 9/10.

3. kode six - cell system reset [147 bpm]: here we have kode six back for round 2, this time with a solo tune. it starts off with some industrial pads, and quickly sets the pace for the mayhem that ensues. the bassline is all business and your left assured that this is going to be a hard hitting track. as the track progresses the bassline takes a more serious tone to it and the work on the leads is edgy and metallic, very reminscent of rabdom l to me. at 147 bpm this track is a bellowing beast and its structure reflects this. by the 3rd minute theres a nifty break with some nice tricks. samples, glitchy break down and slow down, finally amounting to a punch that will destroy a dancefloor. the melody that arises thereafter has a sinister feel to it that puts a smile on your face . the track doesn't let loose yet and this feeling is very aptly felt across. in the 5th minute the track gets a little quieter, and the synths are given space to conjure their magic. its from this point that more layers are added which give this track a shiny set of canines. the game of cat and mouse goes until nearly the 6th minute. soon another break is dropped and what follows is a buildup that would even make twisted system proud . im talking about some very serious aggressive in your face melodies which are tastefully pulled off without getting too noisy or cluttered. the track trails off towards a rumbling end. overall this is another great tune from this act and really makes you wonder why you dont hear more from these guys . the only complaint i might have is that this track is sort of sluggish at points and could use a little more oomph. or maybe its just the beer talking hehe . 8.5/10.

4. gerasene - syllable lottery [146 bpm]: this is a new act i havent heard of before and according to the cd case its a project consisting of scam and anton krige. i cant say im very familiar with either of their work, but i do know that scam is the man behind vision records, and well this track shows that there is good reason for that . it starts off with some wicked fx, lots of chaos muted yelps, machines clinking and faster than you know it there is a nice tribal bassline pumping. the track evolves smoothly with the highs and samples being brought in, buts its that bassline that really gets the adrenaline flowing. by the end of the 2nd minute you hear a melody being introduced. its hard to describe them but i guess it bears a resemblance to the timecode sound but yet delivers a distinct experience. the break in the 3rd minute is awesome, with the leads bouncing back and forth and the bassline just prowling about. very nice .
'do you mind me asking a personal question..go on.. well forgive me for being so inquisitive but during the past few weeks i wondered if you were having second thoughts about the machine...i dont .. .why not... its rather difficult to define... perhaps im just projecting my concern..... '
i couldnt quiet get the whole sample because that damned sinister melody was making it too hard for me to concentrate. the melody is awesome and there is a nice spacey feel to it.. sort of like what one would hear in shift's music. the track moves smoothly and should keep a dancefloor well satisfied, if it hasnt already then the break in the 6th minute should definitely close the deal. another very serious buidup with the bassline changing to add more energy to the overfeel of the track. what follows is ear candy, creepy fx with the ever present melodic layers giving an intense and unrelenting story. another steller tune . 8/10.

5. zion linguist - freakenstein [148 bpm]: here we have one of the founders of mmd records delivering a fast paced angry monster. from the get go you have this muted little kick leading up to a solid strange sobering reality of sound. this is intense, aggressive music with a solid attitude and not to forget a super solid kick bass. i hear new sounds and a tribal kind of groove with these flat heavy kick of sorts. the lead is a wailing metallic beast and zion linguist create a crazy atmosphere. the break in the 3rd minute is interesting with the playful bassline and noisy leads, the soundscapes are creepy and eery. throw in a wicked jumpy bassline and what you have is a monstrous bouncy ride. new laser-like leads are also used which dinstinctly reminds of technodrome's sound. the story evolves and the energy is maintained. the leads go through a number of changes and pick up a very catchy melody by the 5th minute. its incorporated well in the 5th-6th minute break. the track pretty much wails itself back to life, and grooves back into action. a really great track meant to liven up things up on the dancefloor. this is an awesome tune and is an indication of what to expect from this act in the future.... i can't wait for the next mmd release . 9/10.           www.soundcloud.com/ishikawa
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.phonix-records.com
www.mixcloud.com/ishikawa/
squirm
IsraTrance Senior Member

Started Topics :  254
Posted : Apr 16, 2008 07:02
6. frozen ghost - frozen meat [148 bpm]: frozen ghost is no stranger to the psy scene, with the 2 awesome albums and 1 monster of a compilation under his belt this guy has become a household name in my books . anyone believing otherwise should definitely give this track a careful hear. starts off on a spooky note, 'remember that it is my will that guided you here... it is my will that gave you your seperate meat ... (couldnt understand).... the only meat you need you call a body... if you value that meat ... you will do as i tell you......'
and the kick bass lands. by god that is an intense intro to a track. not to forget to mention that eery soundscape that flows all over you. the tune doesnt waste any time and some very wicked leads are introduced. by the end of the 2nd minute the track starts its thumping trot. the melodies are sick and give you that dirty gluttinous feel that frozen ghost packs into his work. by the 3rd minute theres a new layer of synthetic leads that take things a notch higher. awesome awesome stuff. the break at the end of the 3rd minute is just mad with a barrage of hyper metallic leads just shredding any sanity you have. the story evolves seamlessly and this track just grows and screams. i hear many new sounds here and the tracks production is top notch, not as noisy as most of frozen ghost's other works, but well placed clean sounds. the bit around the beginning of the 6th minute is epic and full of chaos. there are so many intricate layers that its hard not to appreciate the method to this madness. all in all this is a great track that lives up to the frozen ghost standard of dementia. 9/10.

7. hiyarant - driven [146 bpm]: continuing the madness, here we have the first release from hiyarant since his epic debut album 'collision'. this wastes no time to set the jungle groove. the groove is full of power and the feel of the track is aggressive and smooth flowing. steller job on the mechanoid fx, they help bring across a jumpy bouncey groove. the track evolves wonderfully and the melodic feel to it is kind of epic .. the 3rd minute the track gets very serious with some awesome tricks being pulled off and soundscapes that would make you want to take off to the cosmos! the gritty metallic leads that hiyarant is known for make an entry towards the end of the 3rd minute .... and then comes an awesome buildup. split beats, and chaos of epic proportions! the track erupts in a ball of energy, the melody is metallic and distorted yet coherent. later the buildup in the 5th minute is crazy.. it kind of reminds me of frozen ghost.. the bass comes and goes and leaves you hanging by a thread. soon after comes that wonderful lead. sounds alot like something from a twisted system track. the track builds up wonderfully and the suspence builds and builds and builds.... and the track comes back roaring! the leads are insane and the production is super clear. i love the melody thats incorporated in the background. this is another monster from hiyarant. this act is really going places 9/10.

8. scam - high in disguise [150 bpm]: here we have the brains behind the cd delivering 'high in disuise' - the fastest track here @ 150 bpm. now your wondering how the hell a track at that pace landed on a cd like this? well i have no clue either but damn its a monster! it starts off the the sample of someone describing some sort of creature.. and out of nowhere there is a raw tribal bassline. this is pretty straight forward raw power music. i love the tribal drums used and the overall feel is gritty and unpolished. considering its at 150 bpm the overall effect is like a serious stomping session in progress. the leads glitch in and out. there is a cool break in the 3rd minute with the metallic lead sort of glitching around, and some really long drawn yells. the track comes back screaming more than before with some awesome energy. the melody is very industrial, it doesn't really progress much but i feel that there is more emphasis on the solid groove. the story evolves into some more glitchy insanity as scam throws in new leads with a demented spin on things. around the 5:00 the break uses some pretty cool wayward swoops and sweeps along with these spacey industrial effects. its builds up very well after that and explodes into energy soon enough. i wouldn't say that this track is very captivating, with there being space to do much more, but what hooked me onto this tune is the bassline and tribal feel it brings forward. if a dj were to play this at the right time i can foresee some serious stompers raving near the speakers. 7/10.

9. technodrome - gate for hate [146 bpm]: technodrome has been releasing some really great work off late with tunes on noize conspiracy, metatron and yabai, and 'gate for hate' does not disappoint. you can hear those deranged leads of his from the very get go. as the melody fades out and comes back, the kick bass is introduced. slowly all the elements are put in place. laser like leads along with bits of random white noise. as the track moves forward there is a more characteritic technodrome lead introduced and the white noise is sort of given more form. the track progresses along smoothly and there is this hyper feeling that is easily brought across as with many of his other works. around 2.00 there is a haunting melody added to the mix, sort of like spooky theme from a horror movie. the break before the 3rd minute is awesome with the kick bass going into a very serious tone. the track takes its time to come back with laser like stabs accompanying a synthetic melody. reminds me very much of psychotic micro's older work, minus the fluff. the buildup in the 5th minute is awesome with things going down and slow and boiling up to some seriously zipped out madness. the 5th minute has an eery melody floating about. it sounds so much like twisted system that its just uncanny. soon after a break comes followed up by one of the best buildups iv heard in a long time. the melody literally lands and yells out in all its glory. im talking about high tech, squelchy metallic dementia at its very best. there are a few mind games with some start stops until finally the track just lets loose. this is a signature technodrome tune that stands out amongst the impressive company it has on this cd. 9/10.

10. tested extension - virginity [144 bpm]: iv never heard of this act before, but at 144 bpm tested extension are finishing off things on the cd on a slower note. it starts off with some strange filtered effects and a pretty creepy atmosphere. there is an eery fairytale tune that lingers for a short time and then a very old school kick bass is introduced. the track develops a very quircky groove and reminds me a bit of artifakt in its strangeness. with every jump the track takes it takes things down a very twisted progression. the melody structure used is interesting in the way it has a nice old school goa feel to it. but the derangement that accompanies the melody is anything but happy. the break around 2.45 is interesting- there is an epic melody introduced. with water trickling there comes a clearer cleaner version of the melody, which has a sort of surreal feel to it. it feels misplaced with the way things are going and is quite beautiful. after a moment of absolute silence (and confusion ) the track comes bumping back. after some bouncing back and forth an epic melody welcomes you. it has a very classical feel to it, as though your watching an opera, but it doesnt last for too long as the kick bass and bassline deliver a well placed push in energy levels. the melody around 6.00 is epic - it sort of just captures and ensnares you in its dementia. the track comes back roaring with all sorts of twisted arrangements adding to the mayhem. this is a very interesting track and a cool way to end things on the cd. there are lots of great ideas on this one, and the only way i could relate to it is to think of it as a demented opera in play. my only complaint with this might be that the production could have perhaps been a little sharper. none the less this act presents a very unique sound and provide for an interesting debut release. 7.5/10.

this is a pretty awesome twilight cd which includes a great mixture of lesser known names of the scene, acts like rubix cube and kode six,as well established artists like frozen ghost and technodrome. the journey this cd provides covers many different kind of sounds from the hyper to the deranged to the god damned creepy. vision record's 1st release 'what is psychedelic' was sort of all over the place in terms of the direction it was taking, but here we have a cd with a more well defined direction - twilight madness. with tracks ranging from 144 to 150 bpm this is a really versatile selection of tracks. in my opinion this is one of the best cds from 2007. the cover art is cool showing a skull with a mind in it being pretty much shattered. all in all this cd is well worth the money for any fan of the south african/ twilight sound. big up to scam for putting this cd together and here's to looking forward to vision record's next release

overall - 8/10
fav - 2,3,4,6,7,9

where you can buy it:
http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/vio/vio1cd002.html
http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display_release.asp?id=6999

more reviews at @ www.schizoid.in           www.soundcloud.com/ishikawa
www.mechanikrecords.com
www.phonix-records.com
www.mixcloud.com/ishikawa/
energy spliff
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  25
Posted : Apr 16, 2008 08:52
good review squirm.... and an even better cd!!!!

fav tracks 3 and 4!!!           
http://www.goagil.com/chart.html
Scam
Scam

Started Topics :  5
Posted : Apr 21, 2008 13:43
nice, thanks for the review!

peace!
          Scam // Vision Records
Glacial
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  24
Posted : Apr 22, 2008 15:07
The Rubix Cube track was the standout for me, enjoyed most of the other tracks too. Good release overall.
energy spliff
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  25
Posted : May 14, 2008 11:44
my new fav from this VA is technodrome!!!           
http://www.goagil.com/chart.html
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A - Dark Side of the Mind compiled by Scam [Vision Records 2007]

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance