Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A Compilation: Zen (Deja Vu Rec. 2003)
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

V/A Compilation: Zen (Deja Vu Rec. 2003)

DJ Pelon(Inpsyde Media)
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  60
Posted : Sep 4, 2003 12:01
Play List:
1. Dejavu Project - Zen (live Version)
2. Mungusid - Jaganath
3. Bamboo Forest - Come and go
4. Neuromotor - Electrik Zone
5. Tri Force - Day dreaming
6. Fungus Funk - Microcosmos
7. Kin Dza Dza - Sphynx misses Sirius
8. Wing Ping - Wish Pusher
9. Psykovsky - Last bus Madrus

well, what can I say? for a dark Russian psy fan such as myself, this might as well be the best release of 2003 so far, even better than Acidance Rec. last release (which was great too IMO...) all the traxx are of high quality and production. this is yet another "must have" cd for all dark psychedelic freaks out there...
and now to my personal impression:
1. very nice track to "kick start" this compile. not too heavy, but still dark enough to get you in the right atmosphere.
2. this track is not as dark, but still good for dancefloor. I liked the percussion work here.
3. this is the weakest track on this compile IMO. the sounds used here and baseline are a bit too standard for me, and not dark enough...
4. this track is also a bit disappointing for me...the sounds are more "morning full on" oriented, not my cup of tea.
5. and this is where this compile takes off...going into dark psychedelic atmosphere with it's Russian style and dark melodies. good one.
6. and here we go...again a dark agressive dancefloor killer from this talented Russian dark psy master. can't get enough of his tunes !!
7. this one is fast, crazy and dark, as can be expected from KDD... great stuff for a night time set!!
8. now this track is maybe the best from this compile. what a kick !! no one can ignore this track when played at a party through a decent sound system !!! great stuff indeed...
9. and what better way could we possibly have to end this fine compilation with?? none IMO. great great track from the true king of Russian psy. loved the vocal sample he used here. a real dark masterpiece !!!

that's it from me. this was my first cd review ever. hope u liked it.
for any of you that likes the hardcore Russian psy - run and get this compile...you won't regret it !!
boom!!
and thx for Deja Vu Rec. for a great release !!
keep it psychedelic...!!!

Inpsyde Media - Trance Mission Worldwide

pelon@inpsyde-media.com
www.inpsyde-media.com
www.beatspace.com
contact@inpsyde-media.com
-=Psy.Fraggle=-
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  48
Posted : Sep 9, 2003 13:11
Traklistin :
01. Dejavu Project - Zen (Live Version) 09:34
02. Mungusid - Jaganath 07:43
03. Bamboo Forest - Come and Go 08:12
04. Neuromotor - Electrik Zone 08:06
05. Tri Force - Day Dreaming 08:58
06. Fungus Funk - Microcosmos 06:51
07. Kin Dza Dza - Sphynx Misses Sirius 7:59
08. Wing Ping - Wish Pusher 06:05
09. Psykovsky - Lastbus Madrus 08:18
--------------------------------------------------

The Russian psymafia are back after the Ritual Dance compile I didnt really think anything further would be released that woul tickle my brain.... but with the Zen compile contains a few tracks that packs a solid punch on the cerebral cells..... this has been specifically engineered to gradually put you in a state of dementia

I have not previously heard any of these...

Deep, Dark and very liquid sounds which will blow your brians out, a high impact sound system highlight the crisp thumping basslines...

1. This opener is a warm up but not in line with whats to come... dark but not pounding
2. More of a jumpy track... people who ahve heard White rabbit will recognise the style.
3. Did not expect a Bamboo Forest in this compile, from the viewpoint of THIS compile, surely does not find its place amongst the others... a slightyl more fullon doesnt fit here!
4. A different side of Neuromotor, will not please the diehard fans... a bit more light oriented.
5. This track takes control for whats going to come.. the Triforce of FungusFunk KDD & Wing Wang
6. @#%$ Crazy stuff... machine gun bass and the track takes off after the 5min mark! confusion!
7. This track starts of with a really chilled long drawn hum creates a slightyl eerie atmosphere before taking off into a furios combination of liquid sounds, bleeps, bloops & bass! ...altering
8. Wot a blaster! It has those moments no one on the dancecloor can ignore you got to listen to understand.
9. this guys style always stands out... the sample is good(in hindi ) maaaad track helps wrapping up the CD.

Favs : 6,7,8

this has to be of some of the best dark track which has made its way into release this year           Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds.
If you cant convince them, c-o-n-f-u-s-e them !!
GoA_bAbA

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Sep 12, 2003 07:14
I haven’t a clue as to who Déjà vu records is, but my better sense tells me that when something grabs you by the balls this hard and doesn’t let go, you need to just shut up and listen. So without much ado, I shall attempt to make sense of this “neuro trance” compilation that goes by the seemingly harmless name of Zen.

1) Déjà vu Project :: Zen (live version)
A crisp beat arises from some soothing clanging sounds, and takes over the whole track. Not too many layers, not too much clamor, no anthemic breakdowns, no cheesy samples, just a couple of spooky melodies skimming in and out, leaving you with a slight sense of paranoia, a little nervous laughter. It seems everything is all right, but the real horror is yet to come. A nice clean start to the whole compilation.

2) Mungusid :: Jaganath
I always thought “Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels” was never sampled enough, and I shall go so far as to say Mungusid agrees with me. Taking off right where Déjà vu left us, shotgun samples reverberate throughout Jaganath, and laced with some classy melodies, it even succeeds in letting you relax a bit, though you can’t help looking over your shoulder every now and then. A textbook example of restrained full-on, you can feel the LSD kicking in, but you wanna hold on to your stomp for a bit and make sure you don’t wear yourself out before the LSD does.

3) Bamboo Forest :: Come and Go
Hmm….long time no see. I was wondering what these guys could be doing here in the run up to Neuromotor, but funky as Bamboo Forest can be, they seem to have strict instructions from Déjà vu Records to have no mercy. So even though its comforting to hear those familiar layers again, you know instantly that somebody’s spiked Bamboo Forest’s drink with the same substances Déjà vu and Mungusid are on. Cheers!!

4) Neuromotor :: Electrik Zone
This one’s a funny one, no really, the melody is almost ticklish. But it’s no laughing matter of course. Take it too lightly and you will find yourself lost in the intensely twisted layers of sound with no way to return. I can’t pick out any special portions of this track, it’s a pretty average bassline, a nice rollercoaster melody, no real samples, and though this not Neuromotor’s best, it’s definitely a great addition to the album.

5) Tri-Force :: Day Dreaming
Well, well, well, who would have ever imagined that the devil is Japanese. Just as you were thinking you were getting paranoid without reason, Yoshinori Satori sneaks up behind and whacks you in the back of your head with a full-blown bassline, chews a nice chunk out of your brains and spits it into your mother’s face. What the fuck ??? If you think Japanese trancers are crazy, this is most definitely the guy that the Japanese trancers think is crazy. The almost morning-ish melody teases you all throughout the track, but with Tri-Force driving the bassline, sunrise is a long long way away. An epic track. I’m just waiting to get whacked on the head again in a nice outdoor setting with a big sound set-up.

6) Fungus Funk :: Microcosmos
Classic Fungus Funk kicks the trip level up one notch. Expect all the crunchy tweaks and plinks and beeps you’ve heard from this guy. Pretty twisted stuff, you can almost hear the flies buzzing around what’s left of your face after Tri-Force has finished with you. No wait, those aren’t real flies, its just part of the track., or is it? I don’t know, I can’t think anymore.

7) Kin Dza Dza :: Sphynx misses Sirius
Ok, this is straight out of an Acidance Records compilation. I wonder how the Greek guys missed this one. I had never heard Kin Dza Dza before, and I can kick myself for that (or should I kick Kin Dza Dza for not releasing more tracks) Very dark and intelligent soundscapes, coming pretty close to some of Parasense’s best stuff. Beautiful is the only word I find for this track…umm….make that twisted beautiful.

8) Wing Ping :: Wish Pusher
I wonder where all these guys were hiding before, never heard of Wing Ping either, and this happens to be just my cup of tea. Another gem of a track, a psychedelic stomper. Listen to believe.

9) Psykovsky :: Lastbus Madrus
What can I say about this guy, he manages to floor me every time. A wonderful track from beginning to end, especially when the beautiful qawwali (an Islamic genre of music very popular in Pakistan and India) sample pops out most unexpectedly. I heard this track for the first at Burning Man this year, and it was a pleasant surprise to bump into it again in an already amazing compilation. This couldn’t have ended better.

So this one gets a hearty 9/10, losing a point only coz it cannot be played at home, unless you live on a lonely island in the pacific with an unlimited supply of psychedelics. This is a 10/10 for DJs who like to spin the dark stuff, though. Before I pass out, I would also like to extend a thumbs up to the classy artwork and nice package. This is a quality release and is worth owning. Watch out Acidance Records, you guys are still number one for twisted psytrance, but there’s some stiff competition from across the Urals.
          "We have guided missiles and misguided men."
- Martin Luther King Jr
-=Psy.Fraggle=-
IsraTrance Junior Member
Started Topics :  48
Posted : Sep 12, 2003 15:31
Goa Baba, thanks m8 with ref 2 the indian bit... i just couldnt recall the word 'qawwali'!! while i was writin the review

alos, u did a fine job of reviewin the cd... a lot similar to how i tried describing it this is a well compiled release!

happy listening
bom/

Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds.
If you cant convince them, c-o-n-f-u-s-e them !!
GoA_bAbA

Started Topics :  4
Posted : Sep 12, 2003 15:40
thank you Psy Fraggle.
whoa, you're right, it is quite similar to your review.
          "We have guided missiles and misguided men."
- Martin Luther King Jr
Trance Forum » » Forum  Music Reviews - V/A Compilation: Zen (Deja Vu Rec. 2003)

Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon

Copyright © 1997-2024 IsraTrance