Trance Forum | Stats | Register | Search | Parties | Advertise | Login

There are 0 trance users currently browsing this page
Trance Forum  Forum  DJing - Traktor (possible) issue....
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon
Author

Traktor (possible) issue....

Ellon
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  55
Posts :  1219
Posted : Apr 9, 2013 17:02:37
Hi Guys,

so i was wondering if i could hear some input on this issue...

i've played on a festival a couple of weekends ago and i had some negative feedback regarding my setup...in terms of punch, gain compared with the dj's playing from cd.

My setup for the event was laptop with traktor (original version), rme baby face, midi controller and my output (xlr) was going to the dj mixing console (rca). I was playing from either flac or wave and, IMO, a crazy powerful set...dancefloor was full and dancing...still....

...the promoter, when i finished my set, was telling me how the next dj and also the previous one had more "power" in their sound, saying that it was because of traktor. I definitely agree that their sound was louder though i was playing in the limit (biting the reds). This made me think alot though it was the first time i heard such thing.

Do you have any input of the subject? Can it be that balanced output/unbalanced input has an influence on the sound? or the fact that i was going through the mixing dj console instead of the mixing table? Or is true cdj have more punch than traktor (digital).

Thnaks,           
https://soundcloud.com/arglebarglemusic
http://soundcloud.com/turvytopsy
http://soundcloud.com/capecodplatform
soospicey
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  13
Posts :  74
Posted : Apr 12, 2013 20:10
did you check the mixer (the one hooked into the sound system) to make sure that you were at the same level as the DJ before you?

          http://soundcloud.com/soospicey
Ellon
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  55
Posts :  1219
Posted : Apr 13, 2013 00:20
Quote:

On 2013-04-12 20:10, soospicey wrote:
did you check the mixer (the one hooked into the sound system) to make sure that you were at the same level as the DJ before you?




well...i didnt check the mixer (it was not at hand and why would the technician change it?) only the dj mixing console...


I guess i should have demanded to be connected directly to the mixer but it was hard to make this claim as i was pointed out to the dj mixing console in an hurry
          
https://soundcloud.com/arglebarglemusic
http://soundcloud.com/turvytopsy
http://soundcloud.com/capecodplatform
soospicey
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  13
Posts :  74
Posted : Apr 18, 2013 18:37
Quote:

On 2013-04-13 00:20, Ellon wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-04-12 20:10, soospicey wrote:
did you check the mixer (the one hooked into the sound system) to make sure that you were at the same level as the DJ before you?




well...i didnt check the mixer (it was not at hand and why would the technician change it?) only the dj mixing console...


I guess i should have demanded to be connected directly to the mixer but it was hard to make this claim as i was pointed out to the dj mixing console in an hurry




that is what i am referring to. the DJ mixer.

was your setup at the same gain as the previous DJ? check the lights on the DJ mixer...

did you have any filters enabled in traktor by accident?           http://soundcloud.com/soospicey
Ellon
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  55
Posts :  1219
Posted : Apr 18, 2013 23:21
Quote:

On 2013-04-18 18:37, soospicey wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-04-13 00:20, Ellon wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-04-12 20:10, soospicey wrote:
did you check the mixer (the one hooked into the sound system) to make sure that you were at the same level as the DJ before you?




well...i didnt check the mixer (it was not at hand and why would the technician change it?) only the dj mixing console...


I guess i should have demanded to be connected directly to the mixer but it was hard to make this claim as i was pointed out to the dj mixing console in an hurry




that is what i am referring to. the DJ mixer.

was your setup at the same gain as the previous DJ? check the lights on the DJ mixer...

did you have any filters enabled in traktor by accident?




Yeah...i checked! The gain was the same...actually i even got a bit up....touching the reds once in a while.

Traktor and soundcard were fine...as i told before this was the first time it happened (i've played before with this setup). But i agree with the guy...my sound was missinng a bit of punch.

I think it was because of the dj mixing console (xlr to rca). I talked to other people who switched to Traktor and they said it has nothing to do with the sofware. My traktor was fine, my soundcard setup was fine, the files (tracks) i played were high quality...so i dont know what could be but being connected through the dj mixer.           
https://soundcloud.com/arglebarglemusic
http://soundcloud.com/turvytopsy
http://soundcloud.com/capecodplatform
supergroover
IsraTrance Junior Member

Started Topics :  39
Posts :  1505
Posted : Apr 20, 2013 10:52
Could it be that the promotor just didnt like laptop dj's? So he heard a difference that wasnt there?           soundcloud.com/supergroover
Ellon
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  55
Posts :  1219
Posted : Apr 20, 2013 11:42
Quote:

On 2013-04-20 10:52, supergroover wrote:
Could it be that the promotor just didnt like laptop dj's? So he heard a difference that wasnt there?





also! But i heard it too...it was not a big gap but something was mising for sure.           
https://soundcloud.com/arglebarglemusic
http://soundcloud.com/turvytopsy
http://soundcloud.com/capecodplatform
Dennis the menace
Moderator

Started Topics :  128
Posts :  2899
Posted : May 22, 2013 12:00
Sounds like a problem in your gainstructure. Do you have the limiter on in traktor?
Ellon
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  55
Posts :  1219
Posted : Jun 18, 2013 12:04
Quote:

On 2013-05-22 12:00, Dennis the menace wrote:
Sounds like a problem in your gainstructure. Do you have the limiter on in traktor?





Nope....please explain.           
https://soundcloud.com/arglebarglemusic
http://soundcloud.com/turvytopsy
http://soundcloud.com/capecodplatform
makcnmec


Started Topics :  0
Posts :  10
Posted : Jun 21, 2013 10:26
for example, @Loud playing their sets from Traktor.
I scarcely think they dont have enough sound power.

May be you are to vary traktor mixer (eq and filter) settings? Different types of eq make different sound.
i prefer X types of them.
and also uncheck gain limiter in your traktor presets.
make headroom manualy.

Ellon
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  55
Posts :  1219
Posted : Jun 21, 2013 11:52
Quote:

On 2013-06-21 10:26, makcnmec wrote:
for example, @Loud playing their sets from Traktor.
I scarcely think they dont have enough sound power.

May be you are to vary traktor mixer (eq and filter) settings? Different types of eq make different sound.
i prefer X types of them.
and also uncheck gain limiter in your traktor presets.
make headroom manualy.








I have my limiter uncheck and i do the gain control manually. Havent tried other eq. Does it influence alot the sound? I mean gain wise? I have my headroom setup at -3db

When playing i check the levels in the external mixer.
          
https://soundcloud.com/arglebarglemusic
http://soundcloud.com/turvytopsy
http://soundcloud.com/capecodplatform
makcnmec


Started Topics :  0
Posts :  10
Posted : Jun 21, 2013 13:53
i do not know about eq's influence on the gain, but it changes the character of sound. may be your problem is not only in the gain level?
makcnmec


Started Topics :  0
Posts :  10
Posted : Jun 21, 2013 15:07
*mean eq's type
a'damn
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  89
Posts :  199
Posted : Sep 9, 2013 20:11
...and, you know, fuck RCA. if your soundcard has XLR or 1/4" outs, use those and go direct into sound board. or, if you need to go into the DJ mixer before going direct into the sound board, and proper DJ mixer should have inputs for XLR or 1/4". Downgrading to RCA is kind of silly...           nlm - http://goaconstrictor.com v4.2
Ellon
IsraTrance Full Member

Started Topics :  55
Posts :  1219
Posted : Sep 12, 2013 18:19
Quote:

On 2013-09-09 20:11, a'damn wrote:
...and, you know, fuck RCA. if your soundcard has XLR or 1/4" outs, use those and go direct into sound board. or, if you need to go into the DJ mixer before going direct into the sound board, and proper DJ mixer should have inputs for XLR or 1/4". Downgrading to RCA is kind of silly...




I know but you dont always get what you want and going into a DJ mixer with no balanced input is very common...unfortunetly!!! In my last 2 gigs the mixing desk (for the PA) was not available to plug in whatsoever!!!!           
https://soundcloud.com/arglebarglemusic
http://soundcloud.com/turvytopsy
http://soundcloud.com/capecodplatform
Trance Forum  Forum  DJing - Traktor (possible) issue....
 
Share on facebook Share on twitter Share on StumbleUpon


Copyright © 1997-2019 IsraTrance